City Of London - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
18:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

City Of London

User Tag List

Old 2nd October 2012, 16:51
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - Present

I was a deck cadet on City of Hull in 1976 - we spent 6 months anchored off Bahrain having spent 2 months in Govan Drydock having the entire waterline around the ship cropped out and replaced after she had become beset in the St Lawerence Seaway the previous winter. Lovely ships but hopelessly inefficient cargo carriers!
Old 4th October 2012, 12:48
user
Department: Navigation
Active: 1974 - 1991

[QUOTE=David T MacDonald;609924]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gurton View Post

I suppose you could call it an eye opener, I had a great time. As I recall we had parties in every port. Captain Owen was a real gent, you all did your best to wind me up about the dreaded Capt Ramsden joining for deep sea, he must have mellowed no problems.
Curious that you call him the "dreaded"; he was Master on my first trip as cadet on the Auckland, and he seemed a very pleasant bloke, to me, if remote, being of God-like status compared to a cadet.
Old 25th October 2012, 04:15
Department: Electrician
Active: 1973 - 1979

City Of Liverpool Derricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedon59 View Post
Dancer?

And my mind is surely playing tricks on me. I thought she had cranes on the Fwd hatches but had Derricks just Fwd of the accomodation. Too many beers during that period for me I fear.

Correct she had heavy lift derricks fwd of the accomodation deck
Old 23rd August 2016, 20:37

Me and hubby must have been on the City of Liverpool at the same time as you JMD48. Allan was the junior engineer and it was our first ( and last ) trip after we got married as he was made redundant after that trip too. We went down to Bunbury in Australia if it's the same trip. We can't remember lots of the names but do recall that there were lots of Johns. Albert Wise was the purser. Keith Robson was first lecky and Ron Shaw was the second lecky. We can also recall Peter White and Graham Humble. 2nd Engineer was Paul ?????.
If my memory serves me right your wife did "tatting", that's if I have the right person of course. Lol.
Old 24th August 2016, 04:27
Department: Navigation
Active: 1971 - 2014

Speedcranes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM HUDSON View Post
Looks like Thompson derricks to me on Robert J Smiths picture above.
The swinging derricks were also called Thomson Speedcranes.
I seem to remember the maker was John S. Thomson of Gourock and the inventor was Robert Morrison of Greenock.
There was a story that Morrison was on the train from Glasgow to Greenock and around Langbank he had the “vision”. Without pen or paper he used the steamed up windows to draw a rough sketch then found someone with pen and paper to transfer his “vision”.
Whether the above is true or not it is still a good story!!!
More on the technical side can be found on:-
http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US3620504
Cheers
Mike
Old 31st August 2018, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnR View Post
Me and hubby must have been on the City of Liverpool at the same time as you JMD48. Allan was the junior engineer and it was our first ( and last ) trip after we got married as he was made redundant after that trip too. We went down to Bunbury in Australia if it's the same trip. We can't remember lots of the names but do recall that there were lots of Johns. Albert Wise was the purser. Keith Robson was first lecky and Ron Shaw was the second lecky. We can also recall Peter White and Graham Humble. 2nd Engineer was Paul ?????.
If my memory serves me right your wife did "tatting", that's if I have the right person of course. Lol.
Hi Lynn, Keith Robson here.
That was a memorable trip to Bunbury and my last one when I was nearly washed overboard in the Red Sea after taking on bunkers. I'd only gone down to retrieve the bunker phone when the ship did a battleship turn and swamped the deck.
Don't remember Ron Shaw on that voyage as I believe he was sacked after knicking a Fiat X19 in Mauritius. Memories not what it used to be though. I also remember Cpt John Owen fondly or J10 as we all called him and the purser on the City of London Dennis Murrell. Great guys to sail with.
Old 31st August 2018, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by john49er View Post
The other way around the Liverpool and Hull had 7J Doxfords and the London had an 6RND90 Sulzer.

In answer to another question they may not have had derricks as such but they did have what was called a speed crane which was a heavy lift of sorts it serviced #4 hatch I think.??

John Brown
Hi John
Nice to see you're still around.
I did my last voyage with you on the Liverpool.
Keith Robson
Old 31st August 2018, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithRobson View Post
Hi John
Nice to see you're still around.
I did my last voyage with you on the Liverpool.
Keith Robson
Nos. 4 and 5 hatches our deepest holds were serviced by a 32T Speedcrane and a 5T Clarke Chapman crane each.
Spent many an hour clinging on to those servicing them.
Old 1st September 2018, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithRobson View Post
Hi Lynn, Keith Robson here.
That was a memorable trip to Bunbury and my last one when I was nearly washed overboard in the Red Sea after taking on bunkers. I'd only gone down to retrieve the bunker phone when the ship did a battleship turn and swamped the deck.
Don't remember Ron Shaw on that voyage as I believe he was sacked after knicking a Fiat X19 in Mauritius. Memories not what it used to be though. I also remember Cpt John Owen fondly or J10 as we all called him and the purser on the City of London Dennis Murrell. Great guys to sail with.
Hi keith,
Great to hear back from you. After reading your reply my old brain started to kick into gear. Ron was on that trip for sure, his cabin was next door to ours. I've got photos of him on the beach in Bunbury. I can only find one of you, and as per most of my photos it isn't a good one lol. How I wish we'd had digital cameras back then. A few names have popped back into my mind of the lads who were on that trip.
Capt. "Gibby" George
Mate. John ????
2nd Mate...not a clue but I do have photos of him!
3rd Mate...Andy Miller lived in Annan
Deck Cadets. "Young" John ???....lived in Burnage Manchester. Another cadet we called "Mick Rick Baccy Belly"haven't a clue about his real name.

Radio Operator........John ???? he was Irish and I used to love the way he said our call sign....Golf, Oscar Oscar Alpha.

Chief Eng..John Brown
2nd Eng...Paul Johnson from the NE of England. His wife was called Janette and he had baby boy called Sam.
3rd Eng....Graham Humble ( his mum once reported him to the police as a possible Yorkshire Ripper ) .....thanks mum!! The other 3rd was Peter White.
4th Eng .....Ian ???? ( possibly McLeod ) he was from Scotland
Jnr Eng....Allan Roberts
Eng Cadets.....Tony ???? ( from NE England ) and a lovely lad we called "Gussett" but can't recall his real name.

Purser was Albert Wise from Liverpool.
And of course you and Ron the lekkys. I might be mistaken with a few names but I'm fairly confident with most of them.
If I can work out how, I could either pop some photos on here or I can send them via email to you if you like.
Hope you keep well Keith, we're just older and none the wiser. Had some fantastic adventures along the way and still planning many more!
Old 2nd September 2018, 20:56

Hi Lynn
You hav a better memory than me.
I now recall being surprised that Ron joined the ship as the eng cadets he knocked the car with we’re all dismissed. I can only presume that they were desperately short of leckies and kept him on.
Anyway he was s good lad.
Interesting the bloke who made the ripper hoax calls was called Humble from Castleton Sunderland. Always wondered if Graham knew him?
I recognise some of the names you mentioned. Andy 3rd mate was a deck cadet on the London I sailed on before the Liverpool. The Geordie engineer cadet we knicknamed a’naaw cos he always replied a’naaw cos ave done it before. Me and Ron used to have his life. I remember the chief John Brown and the 2nd engineer and his wife who came from a village near Chester Le Street in Coonty Durham. I’ve got Pete White for getting hooked for life on Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds which he played almost all the time in the bar.
Are you on Facebook? Somewhere I have a photo album from my voyages, I wasn’t an avid photographer and my camera was crap but I may have some from my one and my last voyage on the Liverpool. Look up my name on fb I have a Union Jack as my profile picture.
Old 24th September 2018, 12:19

Hi Keith,
yes I'm on FB, as is Allan. Does your profile have the union flag and an RAF 100 years on it? I didn't want to "friend" some random chap Lol.

Lynn
Old 24th September 2018, 12:25

FB account

Hi Lynn

Yes thats me

Keith