Liverpool Pub Nostalgia - Ships Nostalgia
03:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Liverpool Pub Nostalgia

User Tag List

Old 15th May 2012, 09:43

Liverpool Pub Nostalgia

Lots of memories at the attached site
http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=41057337&cr=7

Old 16th May 2012, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebe View Post
Lots of memories at the attached site
http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=41057337&cr=7

Lots of memories there. Thank You
Old 17th May 2012, 01:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
I bet the Liverpoolians will droll over the photos of these old pubs,they are just great.
Old 17th May 2012, 03:43

Most enjoyable hours browsing.
Much the same toll of pubs everywhere sad to say.

Thanks a lot Sebe,

regards Malky
Old 17th May 2012, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
I bet the Liverpoolians will droll over the photos of these old pubs,they are just great.
100% right John.

I'll bet that even some of those Trolls that lurk under bridges in darkest Yorkshire would envy this collection of pubs.
Old 17th May 2012, 21:40

I think my dad must have tried every one of those pubs at one time or another
and so did my eldest brother
Old 17th May 2012, 22:17

Anyone know the name of the pub outside the Husky dock the locals on the Carinthia called it Broken Nosed Jacks
Old 18th May 2012, 01:21
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
You seem you to have have missed the Round House at the top of Hardman Street and the Aigburth Hotel ( opposite the Liverpool Cricket Ground ).

Two of the best .
Old 18th May 2012, 09:52

Does anyone know the name of a pub that used to
be opposite the Lion at the top end of Moorfields.
I think it was a Bass House?
Old 18th May 2012, 11:41

Great to see all those old pubs,sadly for me my first pub as a manager was the Clock in St Domingo road,it was a good little pub, a coal fire in the snug and service to, but God forbid if you let the fire go out.I then moveed in the d out to Halewood then Netherley to pubs that I would never dream of including in the list of great Scouse pubs.The last pub I was ever in where your ale was served in the snug,was the Perch Rock in New Brighton it was run by an old Cunard Yank John Gilmore he kept a good pint.
Old 26th May 2012, 13:06

Yesterday I had some business in London Road, Liverpool. I had intended going into MA EGERTONs on my way back to Lime Street station.
sadly this establishment has closed it's doors and can be added to the long list of lost pubs.
Happily Paddy's and The Lord warden are both doing well.
On Dale Street most pubs were very busy.

Good afternoon!!

regards Malky
Old 26th May 2012, 18:01

Broken nose jacks, orginal name
was The Boathouse
had many a pint in there in the 50s and 60s
regards Bob R.
Old 26th May 2012, 21:39

Oh The Boathouse in Sandhills Lane with the Sandhills opposite and The Atlantic around the corner. Never had a pint in the Boathouse as it was a Bents pub did not like their bitter, the Atlantic had a good pint of Guiness. It was a Higson pub the Sandhills was a Walkers house and more modern than the other two.
Old 26th May 2012, 22:37
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

Liverpool pubs..simply the best in the world.Some of the ones mentioned I must have been in but the drink plays havoc with the memory regarding the pub names.Went on a two day bender with the sparkie I sailed with on the Olivebank,a Liverpublian of the first order(P C Smith)and that was the first experience of the hospitaltity of those fine establishments.
Old 5th June 2012, 20:27
Active: 1961 - 1975

had many a pint in boathouse and sandhills plus many other pubs in dock road
Old 5th June 2012, 20:35
Active: 1961 - 1975

1960s boathouse sandhills and many other pubs on dock road,many good nights were had.Used to dock in canada, huskisons and others i cant remember now[old age comes to us all ]
Old 5th June 2012, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsplice View Post
Oh The Boathouse in Sandhills Lane with the Sandhills opposite and The Atlantic around the corner. Never had a pint in the Boathouse as it was a Bents pub did not like their bitter, the Atlantic had a good pint of Guiness. It was a Higson pub the Sandhills was a Walkers house and more modern than the other two.
The Boathouse was where we went for the last few jars before sailing in the Ivernia on a Friday evening.
If I remember right she used to leave Huskisson Dock at about 21.00, so we had to be back aboard by 20.00, and it was sometimes quite a wrench to leave because that Boathouse was full of some very tasty ladies at the time>
Regards,
Pat
Old 6th June 2012, 10:54

The Cottage on the dockroad,I only visited it a few times,not a place I would have gone home with a lady from as a couple of lads I sailed with, sailed with more than they bargained for,one of them was allergic to penicillan and the chief steward nearly killed him,left him ashore in Las Palmas.
Old 13th June 2012, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
You seem you to have have missed the Round House at the top of Hardman Street and the Aigburth Hotel ( opposite the Liverpool Cricket Ground ).

Two of the best .
Aigburth Hotel? It disappeared in the early 1970s for road widening. The bland Kingsman was built in its place set back off the widened road.
Old 13th June 2012, 11:39
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

If you don't mind me crossing the Mersey........about 1978 I was acting as a Cargo Super. jointly with a BP Super. loading some project cargo in Birkenhead,
The dockers at that time were 'touchy' about the job as using the floating cranes was a priority but they could make more money on car carriers, which our gangs had missed out on...........so long breaks ensued! They came back after a lengthy lunch break,we hadn't had any, and called a meeting......

We backed off and went looking for something to eat....only place open advertising food was The Bidston on Wallesey Road...I got the last portion of 'Scouse Pie'..and 10 minutes later wished I hadn't as the worst case of projectile vomiting I have ever had took place............my BP colleague had a ham sandwich so no ill effects........

geoff
Old 13th June 2012, 19:40
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1985

Sebe, Thanks for lots of memories that the photos brought back.

CHEERS.

Jim
Old 13th June 2012, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
The Boathouse was where we went for the last few jars before sailing in the Ivernia on a Friday evening.
If I remember right she used to leave Huskisson Dock at about 21.00, so we had to be back aboard by 20.00, and it was sometimes quite a wrench to leave because that Boathouse was full of some very tasty ladies at the time>
Regards,
Pat
We never sailed on a Friday night when on the Ivernia it was always on a Sunday night the dockers would not work Saturday but did on a Sunday. They only had a few hours work to do but made it last all day, never went into the Boathouse I always went to the Sandhills before sailing Jimmy Ricketts went to the Atlantic. Was ok returning to sail as the shore gang had her flattened out just a few guys to tidy up etc between the berth and the lock, great days.
Old 14th June 2012, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsplice View Post
We never sailed on a Friday night when on the Ivernia it was always on a Sunday night the dockers would not work Saturday but did on a Sunday. They only had a few hours work to do but made it last all day, never went into the Boathouse I always went to the Sandhills before sailing Jimmy Ricketts went to the Atlantic. Was ok returning to sail as the shore gang had her flattened out just a few guys to tidy up etc between the berth and the lock, great days.
They must have changed sailing day then Cutsplice, it was always leave Liverpool on Friday evening, and arrive New York 8 days later on the Saturday, and leave New York the following Saturday arriving in Liverpool a week later, normally Saturday afternoon. I usually made it to Goodison Park for 3 O Clock if Everton were playing at home.
Jimmy Rickets always did his own thing, although he was a fine shipmate.
As for the dockers, well I never worked Saturday as a crane driver for Smith Coggins for ten years, but we did work all sorts of crazy hours during the rest of the week.
Ivernia was without doubt the best ship I was ever in.
Regards,
Pat
Old 14th June 2012, 11:39

A Few mentions of Jimmy Rickets on this thread, sailed with Jim on the Mauritania a character if ever there was one,had a photo of us all a Caribean port but unfortunatley Ive lost, a member asked me about it sometime back ,sorry I didnt reply. There were lots of characters on the Maurie most of us got the sack after the cruises I think the bosun was a Welshman.
Old 15th June 2012, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
A Few mentions of Jimmy Rickets on this thread, sailed with Jim on the Mauritania a character if ever there was one,had a photo of us all a Caribean port but unfortunatley Ive lost, a member asked me about it sometime back ,sorry I didnt reply. There were lots of characters on the Maurie most of us got the sack after the cruises I think the bosun was a Welshman.
Jimmy Ricketts was a great shipmate, a good seaman and a source of amazing yarns. Jimmy was one of those people to whom things happen. He was always finding himself in trouble not of his own making.for instance, ashore one night in Manhattan, and wandering around in 42nd Street he quite innocently asked a passer by did he know where there was a gent's toilet. The passer by summoned a policeman, and Jimmy was banged up in the slammer on a charge of importuning!
Regards,
Pat