Liverpool Pub Nostalgia - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Liverpool Pub Nostalgia

User Tag List

Old 18th June 2012, 13:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 2004

Jimmy Ricketts.

Pat,Tom,
do you know if Jimmy has a son.? I sailed with a Gerry Ricketts deep sea,and in 1983 flew out to Brest Dry Dock to work by and bring over a Norwegean Jack-up Rig to Morecambe Bay Gas Field. He is from Kirkby and would be 60 +yrs old.
As for those Dock Rd pubs, I must have had a Pint in most of them over the years, from the North End to the Dingle.Happy Days.
ttfn.Peter.
Old 18th June 2012, 17:44

Peter,
I dont recall if Jimmy ever mentioned a son, but I believe he did live In Kirkby.
Jimmy was about 45 when I sailed with him in 1964.
regards,
Pat
Old 18th June 2012, 21:37

Sailed with Jimmy from Oct 64 to March 65 cant even recall if he was married or not certainly I mnever heard him mention children. He did have a niece who worked in NY and lots of her mates used to visit us on the Ivernia when in NY, but I dont recall his niece visiting. Some of the girls were from far and wide in the UK a number of them were from Sale in Cheshire, cockneys and some Scandinavians plus the Scouse ladies oh the Glaswegians also.
Old 27th June 2012, 03:01

Yesterday I was pleased to be able to have a pint in Ma Egertons in Lord Nelson Street just outside Lime Street station. The pub had recently reopened. It was closed at my last visit to Liverpool

regards

Malky
Old 27th June 2012, 15:45
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

I stand here proud and alone,at the moment anyway,I ran the Cooksons Bridge for 2 and a half long,hard years.From late 77-early 80 I was the licensee of what was then,officially the Taylors Arms.It was always known as Cooksons after the Cookson family who had it as a tenancy for ages,their son Jimmy Junior played for Everton and it was a shrine to Liverpools famous second team.Let me tell you boys,it took a ex-seafarer to control,I`ve never met a group of people with more of a propensity for gratuitous violence.they would fight for any reason whatsoever.
Memorable customers include,Jon Big Gun Cannon,Norman The Human Hosepipe Clucas,Easy Edna.Sue The Snug S**t,Jose Garcia,Nice Barney and `orrible Barney,Scon`ead;and of course my barmaids The Red Setter and Our Irene.
It had been managed for 2 years when I took over and still had dead pigeon corpses in the old lofts down in the cellars,apparantly when Greenalls gave young Jimmy the chance to apply for the tenancy he went for his interview with pigeon s**t on his tie and seemed surprised when he didn`t get the job.
I earned,saved and squandered a fortune there,still 32 years later haven`t had as much fun in those years combined as I had at Cooksons.

Last edited by alan ward; 27th June 2012 at 16:15..
Old 29th June 2012, 12:26
Department: Engineering
Active: 1959 - 1963

When I joined Alfred Holt as a junior engineer in 1959, I was based in the Birkenhead workshop but each day travelled on the ferry and overhead railway to Seaforth KG 5 dock to work aboard ship. I heard the local lads talking about a pub which they pronounced the Kara Dock. After a few days I ventured to join them after work for a pint. I still have to smile about the first sighting of the pub sign. Being Welsh I immediately pronounced it correctly as the Caradoc (the emphasis being on the second 'a' in the name). The pub is still open and I occasionally pass it if I am going north. Happy memories.
Old 29th June 2012, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintite View Post
When I joined Alfred Holt as a junior engineer in 1959, I was based in the Birkenhead workshop but each day travelled on the ferry and overhead railway to Seaforth KG 5 dock to work aboard ship. I heard the local lads talking about a pub which they pronounced the Kara Dock. After a few days I ventured to join them after work for a pint. I still have to smile about the first sighting of the pub sign. Being Welsh I immediately pronounced it correctly as the Caradoc (the emphasis being on the second 'a' in the name). The pub is still open and I occasionally pass it if I am going north. Happy memories.
That would be Gladstone Dock, Flintite. KGV Dock was where the Blueys tied up in Glasgow, and the Overhead Railway didnt run that far!
Regards,
Pat
Old 29th June 2012, 23:10

Hi, Flintite! and Pat!

Surely the OHR ran to Seaforth - and therefore north beyond Gladstone -if only a little?

Equally surely, the OHR closed in 1957??
Old 29th June 2012, 23:20
Active: 1958 - 1972

Seen it in paper of big pub fire and explosion in Liverpool, place called Punch and Judy gutted, landlord arrested with a woman by Police
Old 29th June 2012, 23:37

THE PIG AND WHISTLE

The sign which was outside
Saying “Emigrants Supplied”
Now is kept within the parlour where it should be safe from thieving.
For this venerable shop
Was where half the world would stop
On its way from Central Europe to its lands of New Believing.

The ancient Pig & Whistle
Is where man has whet his whistle
For centuries, while pausing in his life and its travails.
Here the Iskis and the Oskis
And the Scots and the McLoskeys
Prepared themselves for battle with the wild Atlantic gales.

It is central to a story
Of a sad, dramatic glory,
Casting several million people in a quest for pastures new.
For ‘twas here they came together
From their forests, bog and heather:
The bold, the fit, the Protestant, the Catholic and Jew.

Here they made their embarkations
For their far-off destinations,
Well fortified by victuals which the publican supplied.
Here they set off with their wives
And their children and their lives:
Here were many who succeeded: Here were many more who tried.

The Pig & Whistle, through its portals
Welcomed many lesser mortals,
To whom this simple tavern was the Mother of her trade.
Here were mariners and clerks,
Here were agents, here were sharks,
Here was banter, here was badinage as business deals were made.

How I love you, Pig & Whistle;
I will call and whet my whistle;
And I hope to meet descendants of the Roman, Prod and Jew.
As my city made its living
From the trade their stock was giving,
I will drink to their success when meeting friends from Pastures New.

BY - 2002
Old 30th June 2012, 03:02

Barrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post
Hi, Flintite! and Pat!

Surely the OHR ran to Seaforth - and therefore north beyond Gladstone -if only a little?

Equally surely, the OHR closed in 1957??
I have a good scouse m8 i sailed with from seaforth L;pool, Your correct the old dockers umbrella ran further than seaforth but only to Seaforth Sands. When the overhead train pulled into Seaforth @Litherland Station it was switched back onto the overhead. You could then take an L,M,S,Train as far north as Southport. He also informs me there was and i can never remember a KG5 in Lpool that was in London docks. The pub on Merseyside RED RUM,,, I once asked the trainer at Aintree race course were he got the name for the great horse explaining i had drank every rum under the sun at sea but never red rum??????? He replied spell it backwards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GINGER McCAIN TRAINER OF THE HORSE RED RUM..jpg (65.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 30th June 2012, 04:33

Hi, Farmer!

Many thanks for the explanation of the origin of Red Rum! But why "murder"? The plot thickens.

As to KG5 Dock - No, Sir!- Not in Liverpool - although I think that it is right that King George the Fifth opened Gladstone Lock in 1927. For sure, he and Queen Mary opened the first Mersey Tunnel in 1934. Their statues (or busts)are there to the present day. My Mum & Dad walked through the tunnel shortly before it opened. And I think that the Princess Royal opened Seaforth Dock in 1973 - possibly on board a Blue Star ship.

G'donyer!

BY
Old 30th June 2012, 04:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
That would be Gladstone Dock, Flintite. KGV Dock was where the Blueys tied up in Glasgow, and the Overhead Railway didnt run that far!
Regards,
Pat
Doh!! My apologies, Pat!

The penny has only just dropped!

B
Old 30th June 2012, 11:24
Active: 1959 - 1963

Question Liverpool Pubs

Quote:
Doh!! My apologies, Pat!

The penny has only just dropped!

B
My apologies, the mists of time have clouded my memory. BUT, I have no recollection of ever taking a bus to Gladstone dock, only of the OH railway. My last signing off was in London (KG 5?)
Flintite
Old 30th June 2012, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintite View Post
My apologies, the mists of time have clouded my memory. BUT, I have no recollection of ever taking a bus to Gladstone dock, only of the OH railway. My last signing off was in London (KG 5?)
Flintite
Well just to put matters straight, there was a bus service which more or less mirrored the route of the Overhead Railway from the Pierhead to Gladstone Dock gate in Seaforth, just across the road from the Caradoc, and its neighbour, the Winifred. This was the number one bus route.
the Overhead Railway was demolished, as Barry says, in 1957, and shipped out to Japan as scrap. My first ship, the Achilles, carried a few hundred tons of it to Kobe in 1958.
The Overhead Railway had 19 stations between Dingle in the South to Seaforth and Litherland in the North. Seaforth Sands, the penultimate station was where you got off for Gladstone Dock.

There are 3 KGV Docks in the UK, London, Hull, and Glasgow. The Glasgow KGV was Blue Funnel's Scottish base, there were often three or four Blueys loading and discharging there during the 50s, 60s, and 70s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aey_routemap.jpg (91.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 416059.jpg (110.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 30th June 2012, 21:06

Pat the No. 1 bus actually started on Dingle Lane and as you said ran all the way to Seaforth.
Regards,
John
Old 30th June 2012, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Callon View Post
Pat the No. 1 bus actually started on Dingle Lane and as you said ran all the way to Seaforth.
Regards,
John
John,
It did but I only ever got on at the Pier Head and travelled North.
Pat
Old 1st July 2012, 00:20
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
Waiting for the No.1 outside Brunswick, opposite the Seven Steps on a wet winter night.
When the bus came along the conductor allowed a few on and then put the chain across.

"How long will the next bus be?"
"21 feet 6 inches, same as this one, Ha Ha ha."
"And will it have a sh1thouse on the back same as this one?"
Old 1st July 2012, 15:02

I did a stint as 2nd mate on the buses in Liverpool while awaiting the results of my 2nd mates exam, was an experience some very enjoyable.
If my memory serves me correctly buses were 29ft rear enders, atlantean ones cant remember the length. Routes I was 2nd mate on were 6C, 40. 26 and 27, there were lots of MN folks who were there as both conductors and drivers. In the canteen we seamen and ex seamen usually sat together it was just like smoko sometimes we would be there for a couple of hrs after our shifts ended.
Old 1st July 2012, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersuk View Post
Waiting for the No.1 outside Brunswick, opposite the Seven Steps on a wet winter night.
When the bus came along the conductor allowed a few on and then put the chain across.

"How long will the next bus be?"
"21 feet 6 inches, same as this one, Ha Ha ha."
"And will it have a sh1thouse on the back same as this one?"
Is this bus going to Speke?
I f***in`hope not.
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:52

Pat ????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Well just to put matters straight, there was a bus service which more or less mirrored the route of the Overhead Railway from the Pierhead to Gladstone Dock gate in Seaforth, just across the road from the Caradoc, and its neighbour, the Winifred. This was the number one bus route.
the Overhead Railway was demolished, as Barry says, in 1957, and shipped out to Japan as scrap. My first ship, the Achilles, carried a few hundred tons of it to Kobe in 1958.
The Overhead Railway had 19 stations between Dingle in the South to Seaforth and Litherland in the North. Seaforth Sands, the penultimate station was where you got off for Gladstone Dock.

There are 3 KGV Docks in the UK, London, Hull, and Glasgow. The Glasgow KGV was Blue Funnel's Scottish base, there were often three or four Blueys loading and discharging there during the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Hate to correct you mate , But you never got off the overhead railway at Seaforth Sands to enter the Gladstone dock ....... You enlighten the overhead at the station known as the Gladstone? to enter seaforth or Gladstone dock, When the train continued to Seaforth Sands you would have to have walked back about a kilometer to enter the Gladstone, The reason the overhead ran as far as Seaforth Sands was because you then entered the goods line that ran through Lpool docks right through to Aintree sidings and goods yard that also fed shipping. There is an old song called {Thank you very much} Which was sang by Paul McCartney,s brother with his time with the scaffold which he says he will carry the lyrics Aintree iron to his death. The overhead railway was built in a pig iron shed at Aintree sidings that produced the iron for the docker,s umbrella that i and John believe was the Aintree iron. Regards all Farmer. p.s. note from this diagram there was the Glastone dock were you en lighted for the gladstone dock and further on Seaforth Sands which continued to Aintree G,Day farmer. Oh i lived in Lpool for 2 years sailing with Blue Star i know i am correct.

http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/uk/liv/liverpool_lor.htm

Last edited by Farmer; 2nd July 2012 at 03:08..
Old 2nd July 2012, 03:18

Barrie !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Hi, Farmer!

Many thanks for the explanation of the origin of Red Rum! But why "murder"? The plot thickens.

As to KG5 Dock - No, Sir!- Not in Liverpool - although I think that it is right that King George the Fifth opened Gladstone Lock in 1927. For sure, he and Queen Mary opened the first Mersey Tunnel in 1934. Their statues (or busts)are there to the present day. My Mum & Dad walked through the tunnel shortly before it opened. And I think that the Princess Royal opened Seaforth Dock in 1973 - possibly on board a Blue Star ship.

G'donyer!

BY
He liked a drink old Ginger M,Cain your guess is as good as mine cobber Farmer.
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:35

Many thanks, Farmer, for the explanation of "Aintree Iron".

I always did wonder - but not any more!

best,

BY
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:30

I`ve always wondered about that,thought it might be a pub,bit obscure but then again I find that most things are beyond me these days.
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:47
Organisation: Tugs
Active: 1959 - 1985

As the subject of the 'Dockers Umbrella' came up I wondered if anyone would be interested in the attached photo. Notice the 'smog' and the colour of the building.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ROYAL LIVER BUILDING and the OVERHEAD RAILWAY.jpg (279.6 KB, 42 views)