Loss of LCG 15 and LCG 16 on 25 April 1943 - Ships Nostalgia
18:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Loss of LCG 15 and LCG 16 on 25 April 1943

User Tag List

Old 25th April 2013, 23:26

Loss of LCG 15 and LCG 16 on 25 April 1943

These two vessels were in convoy sailing from Holyhead and encountered heavy seas they were refused to enter folkstone and were heading fro Milford haven when they sank.

Also 6 crew from HMS ROSEMARY in a launch were loss when there boat capsized

The following website gives their names

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Pembro...dHavenLCG.html
Old 26th April 2013, 20:04

For those who may not be aware LCG(L) 3 were converted flat bottomed Landing Craft (LCT 3) fitted with former Destroyer Guns (4.7). The 4.7 was a handy gun as it had a high muzzle velocity for AA purposes and could range around 13miles I understand. They were also used on land installation's usually where it was thought the German's may use the beach area for invasion purposes in the early part of the War. A sad loss of brave men. Any idea what the modification was or was it more pig iron ballast in the appropriate places.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel

Last edited by chadburn; 26th April 2013 at 20:08..
Old 26th April 2013, 20:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 2002

From the memoirs of my late Father, who was C/E/R/A standing by all of the 12 LCTs being converted in Belfast - I've left a bit more inormation in as it may be of interest -

Christmas 1942 and six weeks leave passed quickly. I reported back to RNB Portsmouth on February 2nd. The next day I was on the move again, this time to the Diesel School at Chatham for a three weeks course on Paxman diesels, after which I was transferred to Combined Operations. At the end of the course I was drafted to H.M.S. Dundonald. No one seemed to know what or where Dundonald was but eventually I found it. It was a camp in Troon, Ayrshire. On arrival at the station I was taken to lodgings in the town because there was no room in camp. The next day I reported to the camp, which was a base where Tank Landing Craft were being commissioned and worked up before leaving for other bases to train the army in landing exercises.

After three weeks in Troon, during which time I don't remember doing any work, I was told to report to Harland and Wolff at Belfast, to take over the 8th. LCT Flotilla. There was no accommodation and I was billeted out, my landlady being a delightful old lady who suggested my wife might like to come over. After a week of trying to obtain the necessary travel documents, Belfast being a prohibited area, she arrived, Robin being left with Grandparents in Eastleigh.

In the meantime I reported to the Flotilla Officer and found things to be rather hush-hush. There were twelve LCTs in Harland and Wolff’s being converted to LGGs. This consisted of decking over the tank deck, converting the space to magazines and living quarters and mounting two 4.7 guns on the deck, both forward of the bridge. Twelve more craft were being converted in London; whilst in other yards twelve were being fitted out as flak ships and twelve more to carry rocket launchers. The whole to eventually join forces as a support squadron to cover landings. On arrival I found the whole staff, excepting me, were either hostilities only or RNVR. This was my first experience of RNVR Officers and HOs, but they turned out to be a fine and competent crowd. None of the maintenance staff, including the Engineer Officer, who was a Croxley Heath dirt track rider, had more than six months service, but they all knew as much as I did about Paxman diesels, having done the same course.

The staff consisted of myself, 4 ERAs, 2 Motor Mechanics and 4 Stokers, a Shipwright and two Joiners, an Ordinance Artificer and a Seaman Gunner, with an Electrical Artificer and three wiremen for the electrics. Our job, to keep things going on all twelve craft.

The first two craft to be finished left Belfast at the end of March for Falmouth, but there was a major defect in the design. For some reason the whole deck was not covered in, the forward end being left open, the bow door with its winches etc being left usable. In an LCT the tank deck had a series of drains running down to a duct keel, which could be pumped out. These drains had not been sealed off, so that although watertight bulkheads had been fitted there was no real water tightness. Off Milford Haven the two craft ran into very heavy weather and seas were shipped over the bows and the water found its way into the duct keel and up into the mess decks and magazines. The one bilge pump cou1d not cope with the amount of water and both craft foundered with most of their crews.

Orders came through for the doors to be welded up and the deck to be fully covered in. The result was a very strong, stable and sea worthy craft but it was mid May before the whole squadron arrived in Falmouth. Here one ship of the 6th Flotilla joined us making each flotilla 11 strong. From Falmouth we sailed, in company with many LCTs to Dijelli in North Africa. Here the Squadron split into two, half remaining in Dijelli, the others proceeding to Sousse. We were in the former section and, spent about five weeks in Dijelli before moving on to Malta early in July. This was my first visit to Malta, since Christmas 1941 and the amount of damage which had been done was colossal and yet it seemed that all the pubs we had used when I was in HYPERION were still standing.

On July 9th we moved out for the invasion of Sicily, arriving off Regussa in the early hours of the 10th. We were in the lead, followed by masses of landing craft and ships of all shapes and sizes. Our LCGs went in with all guns firing whilst behind us came the Rocket craft. They opened fire about two miles off shore and the sight of a salvo of about 200 rockets from each craft flying over head was somewhat scary. These craft carried about 600 rockets fired in banks of about 200, having exhausted the 600 they retired to reload
Old 26th April 2013, 20:56

Thanks for the further information.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 4th May 2013, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDJM View Post
These two vessels were in convoy sailing from Holyhead and encountered heavy seas they were refused to enter folkstone and were heading fro Milford haven when they sank.

Also 6 crew from HMS ROSEMARY in a launch were loss when there boat capsized

The following website gives their names

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Pembro...dHavenLCG.html
Folkstone?
Old 5th May 2013, 20:26

Howard - thanks for that - in some ways, tho` very sad, it was better to have lost those craft and men and to have the design reworked rather than to have lost even more at some later date. Still better had the fault been noticed at the initial design stage.