Denholms 1970-1980 - Ships Nostalgia
02:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Denholms 1970-1980

User Tag List

Old 30th October 2014, 20:42

Denholms 1970-1980

Hello Forum...a bit if a shot in the dark but myself and my brother sailed on many ships between these dates...actually since 1965 (very young then) and have lovely although blurry memories of these times. My name is Valerie and my brother's Michael... our Dad (no longer with us) was Angus Smart and our Mum Agnes Smart also no longer with us.
Just wondering if anybody remembers us as we made many friends on these trips. Memory not great but remember Nordic Talisman, Naess Louisiana (haunted), Arctic Troll, Nordic Patriot??...you never know :-)

Last edited by Captain Valerie; 31st October 2014 at 09:09..
Old 30th October 2014, 21:58
Super Moderator

On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Valerie.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking. Good luck
Old 30th October 2014, 22:27
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1990

I sailed with your dad on a few ships a gentleman and a great old man sorry to hear he's gone brgds kev.
Old 30th October 2014, 22:28
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.
Old 30th October 2014, 23:28

Thank you! Just finding my way round the forum..
Old 30th October 2014, 23:32

Wow..didn't expect to hear from anyone who knew him, unfortunately he died 30 years ago but I came across the Talisman on the Web and found this forum...very happy, thank you for this! :-)
Old 31st October 2014, 00:21

Welcome, Valerie, didn't know your father, but sorry for your loss. interested to hear about the haunted ship - could be a new thread there (especially as it's Halloween today).

John T
Old 31st October 2014, 00:58
Active: 1958 - 1975

chasH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Valerie View Post
Hello Forum...a bit if a shot in the dark this but myself and my brother sailed on many ships between these dates and have lovely although blurry memories of these times. My name is Valerie and my brother's Michael... our Dad (no longer with us) was Angus Smart and our Mum Agnes Smart also no longer with us.
Just wondering if anybody remembers us as we made many friends on these trips. Memory not great but remember Nordic Talisman, Naess Louisiana (haunted), Arctic Troll, Nordic Patriot??...you never know :-)
hi Valerie i don't think i know your family but welcome aboard nice to here from you best regards chasH
Old 31st October 2014, 01:14
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1968 - Present

My location
Valerie,

Sailed with your Father on Dunkyle in 1969. A very nice man. Sorry to hear that he's no longer with us.
Old 31st October 2014, 01:15
Active: 1960 - 1990

Yes I was on the naess louisiana when the handyman was killed sad time all those years ago brgds kev.
Old 31st October 2014, 09:09

My location
Welcome to the forum , sailed with your father many times though I'll have think
which ships they were after so many years. Also got a few photos of him in
my collection of Denholm magazines .
A good man to sail with.
Old 31st October 2014, 09:14

Thank you Hugh Wilson, it's nice to hear from people who knew him.
Old 31st October 2014, 09:20

sailed with your father on nordic talisman
Old 31st October 2014, 09:21

Muldonaich...you will know the truth of what happened on the Louisiana and being a friend of the handyman would not want to offend you or anyone else but there were stories of a ghost thereafter and as a kid could not sleep very well.
Old 31st October 2014, 09:31

JC..I think my brother and I were in one of the Denholms magazines when we crossed the Equator..thanks for your reply and all the others...very happy...missing my 'Oldsalt' days.
Old 31st October 2014, 09:59
Active: 1960 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Valerie View Post
JC..I think my brother and I were in one of the Denholms magazines when we crossed the Equator..thanks for your reply and all the others...very happy...missing my 'Oldsalt' days.
I relieved your Dad on 'Nordic Talisman' September 1976 at Gijon, and he retuned onboard at Cristobal January 1977. I attach crossing the Line photo from Spring 1973 - Denholm News.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crossing the Line.jpg (217.0 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Supercargo; 31st October 2014 at 11:54.. Reason: Add photo
Old 31st October 2014, 12:04

Of course I remember Captain Smart. He joined in Amsterdam about September 1970 in the NAESS PIONEER. I was a first trip cadet.

When I joined Ian Wildish was there at the first, then later with Robert Kinder and then Angus Smart. Three fine masters and I swear... back in those days I looked at those three were Gods! Very happy memories.

Could tell many stories.... how Captain Smart had 'problems' with myself the other first tripper..... He said to the Chief Officer... "I know these two cadets have had a lot of work on board. I know both of them built and refurbished the bar. I draw the line with that. I will not have two first trippers, both under 18 years of age.... sitting in the bar at lunch time drinking pink gins!"

I remember a story... don't know if true.... most likely....

You dad must have been a Second Mate and was looking for a job. He saw an add in the paper.... "J&J DENHOLM ARE LOOKING FOR A SMART CHIEF OFFICER FOR THEIR NEW SHIP". The story goes that he write to J&J and replied.... "I believe I am the right man for you. I am A. SMART, CHIEF OFFICER." !!!!!!!!

Follow on that.... one day on NAESS PIONEER told that story and then quipped...

A. Smart, Chief Officer.
A. Smart, Captain.
A. Smart, Basta*d!!!!!!!!

No.... he certainly was not that! ;-)

Stephen
Old 31st October 2014, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercargo View Post
I relieved your Dad on 'Nordic Talisman' September 1976 at Gijon, and he retuned onboard at Cristobal January 1977. I attach crossing the Line photo from Spring 1973 - Denholm News.
Ah long time since I saw these...a bit chubby then...however lost it all when the ship went into drydock in Athens...temperatures sored and came back home 2 stone lighter! Thanks for that.
Old 31st October 2014, 15:24

Stephen J. Card

What fantastic stories...feeling great but emotional reading them...spent a bit of time in the 'Smoke' I think we called it on my last trip to New Orleans myself...the crossing was very rough, John Lennon got shot whilst at sea. We spent Christmas on board and had a brilliant time. Not sure if it was the Wellpark... Thanks so much for your reply.
Old 31st October 2014, 16:44
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage
Old 1st November 2014, 13:40

Captain Valerie, I too sailed with your Father on two Denholm Ships, as previously mentioned, he was a most competent and dedicated Chief Officer and Master and equally good company to boot. I recall your late Mother,yourself and your Brother making a trip on one or other of the Ore Carriers and must need check the old Memory Bank for better recall, will advise via Private Mail if OK with you. Sandy Moodie.
Old 1st November 2014, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Moodie View Post
Captain Valerie, I too sailed with your Father on two Denholm Ships, as previously mentioned, he was a most competent and dedicated Chief Officer and Master and equally good company to boot. I recall your late Mother,yourself and your Brother making a trip on one or other of the Ore Carriers and must need check the old Memory Bank for better recall, will advise via Private Mail if OK with you. Sandy Moodie.
Thank you for the kind words about Dad...I am am afraid my memory banks are not great either but of course go ahead via private email. Thanks again. CV.