Empress of Canada - Ships Nostalgia
21:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Empress of Canada

User Tag List

Old 10th December 2006, 20:22

Empress of Canada

hi there does anyone have any photos of the empress of canada 1965 onwards.And any crew details.
Old 11th December 2006, 06:23

My location
Go to Gallery scroll down to search type in ships name click Go..bingo...Empress of Canada.....
Old 7th April 2009, 15:29

neville roberts

I served 3 years on the Canada, and also did trips on the England and britain in the 60,s great ships, I also served on 18 other ships from19 55 to19 65 those were the days
Old 7th April 2009, 16:13
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

I emigrated to Canada in April 1967 on the Empress of Canada ,even had a look down the engine room, quite cramped from those I was used to.

She was the last ship I 'sailed' on, foul weather all the way across and I enjoyed every minute of it ( my wife did not!).One of the questions to the skipper in an evening forum was did she have equipment to prevent the uncomfortable trip,his reply....'We have stabilisers and they ARE in use, Thank God'

Being a Tankerman what are 'stabilisers?

However just being on her for those 7 days did make me think I had possibly been years sailing in the wrong company.

Graham
Old 7th April 2009, 16:55

Done two 17 day trips on the Empress of Canada in 1962, could,nt get off her quick enough. Talk about passenger ship mafia, well she had the lot, plus numerous homosexuals it certainly put me off passenger vessels never went near one again as a crew member.
I remember the old mans name it think it was Bell, bosun Martin Quinn, bosuns mates Terry/Tommy Dolan, Eric Swanvick or similar.
Remember a few others mainly AB,s etc.
Old 7th April 2009, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsplice View Post
Done two 17 day trips on the Empress of Canada in 1962, could,nt get off her quick enough. Talk about passenger ship mafia, well she had the lot, plus numerous homosexuals it certainly put me off passenger vessels never went near one again as a crew member.
I remember the old mans name it think it was Bell, bosun Martin Quinn, bosuns mates Terry/Tommy Dolan, Eric Swanvick or similar.
Remember a few others mainly AB,s etc.
Cutsplice, I agree with you there, they were horrible ships, for the deck crowd.
I was on the Britain, Martin Quinn did one trip bosun on her, I think he was covering for someone while his own ship was in drydock.
I was on the eight to twelve the whole time I was on her, I dont think they ever rotated the watches, and all we ever did was sugi the working alleyway at night, and sugi above deck in the day, plus sugi the funnel, plus paint the bleedin funnel.
There were hundreds of catering crew, most of them were in some racket or other. The crew galley served up inedible 'food', you basically paid a steward for passenger food, or you lived on toast.
And the worst bit?
You had to wear a sailor suit complete with RN style cap when on stations.
I loathed it.
Pat
Old 7th April 2009, 22:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

One trip for me was more than enough. I was on 12/4 out and back - always my favourite watch - but not on EoC. PK sums it up. We had two guys locked away in the brig. They were better treated and rewarded than we were. Dougie Virgoe (a Canadian) and Gerry Woodbine (or Woodvine) are names I remember for some reason.

Pat: That "working" alleyway I can now recall - it was as you say like a subway. We sugied it after the 8-12.

Wretched ship!

BW

J

Last edited by jmcg; 7th April 2009 at 22:33..
Old 7th April 2009, 22:36

John & Pat,

What on earth took you to sail in that outfit and under those conditions when you were both ex China Boat men?

Bill
Old 7th April 2009, 22:46
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

The writing was on the wall - but I guess now that I didnt quite wish to read it.

It was only when one experienced the other side of seafaring that one really appreciated the finer elements of AH and no doubt other companies of good repute.

CP (passenger ships) did not inspire me to do more than one trip. Fortunately, I kept my head low and "toughed" it out for one WNA trip. Went back to AH again shortly afterwards.

BW

J
Old 8th April 2009, 07:55

Bill,
More or less the same reason as John, and I too returned to the China after trying several other companies, some good some not so good, but none as bad as CPR.

Regards,
Pat
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:06

neville roberts

You guys were in the wrong department for passenger ships, although they were hard working ships ,10 or 11 hour days we always ate the same as the passengers, and my last job was chief engineers man, with a cabin on the boat deck and all the booze and beer that I wanted, the trips were 17 days and back home in the summer months but 6 months cruising in the winter. the cargo boats that I did were easy work and a good rest after the liners , all in all it was a great time of life.
Old 30th October 2014, 23:16
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

stood on the shore in Liverpool and watched the Empress of Canada burn. Very sad.
Old 30th October 2014, 23:43

I think the other guys are referring to the later Empress of Canada circa mid to late 50's.
Regards
John
Old 31st October 2014, 00:35
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 1976

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Emp...f_Canada_(1920)

RMS Empress of Canada was an ocean liner built in 1920 for the Canadian Pacific Steamships (CP) by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Company at Govan on the Clyde in Scotland. This ship -- the first of two CP vessels to be named Empress of Canada -- regularly traversed the trans-Pacific route between the west coast of Canada and the Far East until 1939.

Unquote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Emp...f_Canada_(1928)

SS Duchess of Richmond was an ocean liner built in 1928 for Canadian Pacific Steamships by John Brown & Company in Clydebank, Scotland. In 1947 she was renamed SS Empress of Canada.

Unquote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Emp...f_Canada_(1960)

RMS Empress of Canada was an ocean liner built in 1961 by Vickers-Armstrongs, Walker-on-Tyne, England for the Canadian Pacific Steamship Company. This ship, the third CP vessel to be named Empress of Canada, regularly traversed the transatlantic route between Liverpool and Canada for the next decade. Although Canadian Pacific was incorporated in Canada, the Atlantic (and pre-war Pacific) liners were always British flagged and manned and therefore Empress of Canada was not, as some people[who?] erroneously thought, the flagship of the Canadian Merchant Marine.

Unquote

Greg Hayden
Old 22nd May 2015, 08:06

Gladstone dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfin View Post
hi there does anyone have any photos of the empress of canada 1965 onwards.And any crew details.
I remember as a schoolboy having a school trip out to Liverpool riding on the docklands overhead railway, and seeing the empress of Canada lying on her side in gladstone dock, after aserious fire. that was in 54/55?
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:28

These posts confirmed my reason for avoiding passenger boats like the plague on the advice of my older brother although he did spend some time in both CPR and CUNARD in the latter few years of his sea career as he was then married so wanted shorter trips,being a seaman always shipped out in merchant ships.KYPROS
Old 30th November 2016, 02:33

I sailed on empress of Canada out of Southampton November 1970, bound Montreal. Still have passenger list, menus and low and behold my deckchair ticket (November ?!!!). Bad weather first night with only 8 of us making it to the dining room all day in tourist class! Only served ice cream but I was happy with that. Survived the storms without seasickness but hold luggage was worse for ware at the other end! I was travelling with an emigrating family and like most passengers emigrating, their trunks were all new and shiny. Mine however, and much to my horror, was of the old type, bought secondhand. The type which was leather bound with wooden strength bars. As we disembarked, all the new shiny trunks were in tatters, buckled and ripped open. Mine survived unscathed! It came home to the UK a year later much loved! There is a full history of the empress of Canada on the site Liverpool's Ships with lots of photos in various flagship colours, ending her days as the Apollon in India where it rested on 4th December 2003 in safe harbour before being hauled ashore to be broken up. I have a postcard photo of her in her new CP Ships green. For me The Empress was the beginning of all my worldly adventures. I spent many happy nights alone on a small rear deck in awe of the vastness and watching mattresses, food, chairs etal being slung into the water under cover of darkness. I had been blissfully unaware of the dangerous stormy conditions of the first night until I later heard of the agonising fear my parents back on dry land had endured as they listened to shipping news. Remember back then making a transatlantic phone call had to be booked days, weeks in advance and you couldn't afford to miss your slot. So it was over two weeks after docking that my Mum and dad got to speak to me for the alloted few minutes to reassure themselves I was, indeed, still alive and unscathed! I saw the Empress through naive eyes but even so I remember her with fondness.
Old 30th November 2016, 02:38

And just out of interest, we docked today's date all those years ago!
Old 13th June 2017, 22:47

My dad worked in the engine room on the EofC for several years. I remember going to the docks to see the ship off and then back when she returned.
Old 14th June 2017, 00:10
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
My last trip as an engine room rating (a 'wiper') on her in 1967. I was putting together some money before I started at Leith Nautical College.

I remember laughing out loud when my Dad asked me: "What does a wiper do ?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg empressofcanada.jpg (88.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 21st June 2017, 21:00
Department: Office / Administration

My aunty Mary Goscombe was a Stewardess on the Empress of Canada, she went missing presumed overboard in February 1964.
Old 27th June 2018, 11:59

carmelarocha

I knew your aunt Mary well.I was a BRS onboard the Canada and worked with her on many occasions.Seeing her name brought back fond memories from all those years ago.