Ships Nostalgia banner

Capt Thomas S Horn, OBE of the Sydney Star

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  CarolineD 
#1 ·
Dear all

Captain Horn received the OBE at the end of 1941 for getting the Sydney Star to Malta after she'd been torpedoed. You would think wouldn't you that somewhere in the archives of the Imperial War Museum, the National Maritime Museum or the National Archives at Kew there'd be a photograph of him. Well if there is I have so far failed to locate it. Kew doesn't even seem to have his seaman's pouch. So I thought I'd ask on here.

I should add that I don't have personal connections with him - although I have had email correspondence with a second cousin who has been researching the family tree. I just admire the man for his grit. Two other members of the ships company also received decorations for their outstanding services - Mr G. Haig, Chief Engineer, OBE and Mr J.H.A. Mackie, the Chief Officer MBE.

Thanks

Caroline

#2 · (Edited)
Hello Caroline,

Firstly not all seamen's pouches survive, approx 95,000 were destroyed prior to 1988. Usually the pouch would have an ID mugshot photo but that would be the only place you will find one in the various records available. There is no surviving pouch for your man.

The full list of decorations for 'SYDNEY STAR' reads as follows:

London Gazette 16 December 1941 - For services when the ship was torpedoed and damaged during Operation Substance - a convoy from Gibraltar to Malta in July 1941.

Haig, George - Chief Engineer - OBE(Civ)
Horn, Thomas Sydney - Captain - OBE(Civ)
Mackie, James Hunter Andrew - Chief Officer - MBE(Civ)
Knights, John Arthur Bamford W/50 - Leading Seaman RANR - Commendation
Roberts, John Wakeling W/303 - Able Seaman RANR - Commendation
Robinson, Anthony Jesse - Gunner - Commendation

Ungazetted award by Lloyd's

Haig, George - Chief Engineer - Lloyd's War Medal for Bravery at Sea
Horn, Thomas Sydney - Captain - Lloyd's War Medal for Bravery at Sea
Mackie, James Hunter Andrew - Chief Officer - Lloyd's War Medal for Bravery at Sea

London Gazette 4 June 1943 - Birthday Honours List 1943
Bones, Frank - Carpenter - BEM(CiV)

There is a medal file for Captain Horn from WW1 and WW2 downloadable for £3.36 each held respectively in BT 351 and BT 395.

Regards
Hugh

#4 ·
Hello Phillip
I look forward to hearing the results of your research. George Haig certainly deserved his OBE. I don't envy him being down in the engine room trying to keep the Sydney Star going after she'd been hit. I'm assuming you have a copy of Richard Woodman's Malta Convoys but just in case you haven't here is what he writes on p202

"Horn was not ignored, however, nor were his key staff, Chief Engineer Haig in particular. With her pumps running continuously and quite unable to stem, let alone reverse the inflow of water, they had also to keep the main engines and boilers running."

Hugh - I was sure I had thanked you for posting the details of the awards to the rest of the crew. Perhaps I did it by PM but it was good to see them get the credit they deserved.

Thanks to the power of the internet two of Thomas Horn's relatives have been in touch and have sent photographs of him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.