Bidford Priory = 1960 - 1975 - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
13:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bidford Priory = 1960 - 1975

User Tag List

Old 3rd March 2012, 00:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1967 - 2002

Smile 6 months in 60 seconds

I joined the ship at Mina Al Ahmadi on the 20th January '74

With part A of the chiefs ticket under my belt before Xmas I was back at Aberdeen Technical Coillege studing for part B when Batch in the office got in touch to ask a favour. Join the Bidford Priory in the Gulf.
Being a bit fed up of studing why not? Wrong answer ha ha
First class ticket to Kuwait - £240. Funny how certain things stick in the mind.
Can't remember much excitement on the first couple of runs down to exotic Kwinana. Plenty good engineers onboard to keep her going.
Willie Wood from Newburgh in Aberdeenshire was the chief engineer. Nobby Clark from Westhills Aberdeen the mate.
Rolling Stones nights in the bar was a sight to be seen!
Willie Wood and Nobby paid off up the Gulf before we set sail loaded for the Isle of Grain.
Alan Lowery had taken over as chief eng. Dave Wheelan, Ron Pennycook, Fred Diffy, Ian Hardie senior engineers and was George Wilson one of the juniors?
Fred ??? filled the mate's slot. Pete Saunders was at some stage of the 6 month trip the skipper.
Yes Brian I remember you getting caught up in the taco drive taper pins when you were in the bilges looking for your shifter. The taper pins had been left sticking out 2" either side of the drive cogs. Caught the back of your boiler suit and ripped it clean off. Plus some skin.
Well things burst into life as we left the Gulf. I think it was on the midnight to 4? An almighty bag from the HP turbine. Why did it always happen at night?
It was first thought it might be the HP flexible drive coupling. It proved OK. Opened up the HP primary gear casing to find the culprit. Major damage to the primary wheel and pinion.
Then the fun started. All hands to the pumps.
Spent the next few days rigging to run home on the LP turbine. It was a miracle we found all the pipes and bits and pieces to do the job. Also had to lift out the HP primary pinion. No mean feat in the heat of the engine room at sea. The engine room crew and the cadets did a sterling job.
Copious ice cold beers probably kept us going.
A relaxing time for some of the crew, Somalies I think? who managed to catch a few sharks while we were adrift. Kept them swimming about in the pool for a while.
Eventually got under way again and headed for Mombassa to carry out further inspections of the turbine/gearbox bearings. The condition of the bearings indicated they would not make it to the UK so ended up getting a squad from shore side and inspecting them all and changing out many.
The noise in the engine room from running on the LP turbine only was horrendous but we made it to Cape Town and thankfully the Ise of Grain, Just!
A great crew made up for all the trials and tribulations

Paid off at the Ise of Grain on the 16th July '74

GC
Old 1st April 2012, 02:12
Active: 1957 - 1965

anyone know what happened to a welsh 4th engineer called JJ Jones. he was a
clever lad and his ambition was to go ashore and be a teacher at college. He kissed old Bombers backside a lot but that didn't get him very far.
Old 1st April 2012, 08:32
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - Present

I joined the Bidford Priory in 1973 in Naples as a deck cadet. It was my first trip to sea. Paddy Slevin was the old man. The Chief Engineer was Dot Mason. She brought her husband with her. We traded almost exclusively Mina Al Ahmadi to Kwinana. On my shift off I went to Perth. Never went back for 38 years. Just re-visited working as marine super for a deep sea mining company.
I 'll never forget wearing just a pair of filthy shorts and boots down cargo tanks. Shovelling oily scale into buckets. To be heaved to the deck and poured into a canvas chute and straight over the side. I did so love tank cleaning. Give me loaded passage every time.
Old 21st August 2012, 05:06

Hi all,
I have a nephew who is engaged to a Brazilian journalist and we have set her to work to find out if there are any Lowerys living in Santos. lets hope she turns something up.
Old 24th August 2012, 04:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Hi all,
I have a nephew who is engaged to a Brazilian journalist and we have set her to work to find out if there are any Lowerys living in Santos. lets hope she turns something up.
OK. It appears that there is one Lowery in the Santos telephone directory. I can only imagine that it is Alan or one of his children. If
someone is more computer savvy than me the can get the directory
on the internet and of course it would be helpful if they could get a portuguese speaker too.
Old 5th September 2012, 13:20

Alan rang me on Saturday evening prior to returning to Brazil on Sunday. He will return to UK next year.

Unfortunately he didn't have time to come to my house for a chat.

Bob W
Old 6th September 2012, 03:56
Active: 1970 - Present

alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombersman View Post
Alan rang me on Saturday evening prior to returning to Brazil on Sunday. He will return to UK next year.

Bob W
Hi Bob, did you have a chance to tell him that alot of us would like to get back in touch with him or does he realize he could log on here and find out himself.

Best regards, ME
Old 6th September 2012, 10:32

HIi Malcolm

did you have a chance to tell him that alot of us would like to get back in touch with him
Yes, he reads these posts, but does not wish to post for personal reasons of his own. I did, however tell him that you in particular were interested in his whereabouts and he asked me specifically to let you know that he is thinking kindly about you.

With his wishes in mind, I am reluctant to expand further upon the lengthy conversation that I had with him.

Trust that you are well Malcolm. I go to Bamburgh for a week on Saturday where I hire a big house so that my sons, grandsons and Great granddaughter can come and go as they wish.

I hope that your parents are well and I feel guilty in that I did not get round to visiting them again.

Best wishes

Bob W
Old 6th September 2012, 22:47

Thanks Bob,

My parents are not well, my mother lost a leg last year and now is very bitter as she has to stay in a home in Hexham. My Dad seems to give up some weeks and drinks way to much whisky and does not eat much to the point that he is skin & bones and keeps collapsing. He just got out of hospital yesterday after 19 days in Hexham. Sad but not much I can do.

Bamburgh, my dad's trucks took thousands of small xmas trees to the castle when it was used in a movie many years ago and I used to go to Seahouses for the kippers. Happy memories, hope you have a great time up amongst those huge sand dunes. We used to go there for our day out by the sea side, soggy egg & tomato sandwichs with the sand in the middle.

Are there any of those huge concrete blocks left up on the coast that were supposed to keep the Germans from invading

All the best, Malcolm
Old 7th September 2012, 10:42

I was very sorry to read about your parents Malcolm. Please give them my kind regards and apologies for not getting back to them. I did pass their house several times and was tempted to drop in but I prefer to give advance warning of my arrival and was sweaty and smelly from walking.

I still walk a lot and have been across to the lakes several times this year and enjoyed some splendid walking on the fells during some of the limited warm spells ghat we have had.

I dont remember seeing the tank traps on the beach but will look out for them. I first visited the seaside at Newbiggin with my grandmother during the war when I must have been about three. we were only able to sit at the top of the beach as it was covered in rusty barbed wire.

Warmest good wishes

Bob W
Old 7th September 2012, 19:00

alan

Quote:

Bob W
It's surprising how many people read the site but don't post. I was looking for a Denholms guy and asked about him and eventually got
seven replies outside the site. Anyway it's good to hear Alan is alive and well and hopefully still enjoying life.
Old 24th September 2012, 12:54

The tank traps have been removed Malcolm but there is a small cluster of them, near the Wynding, on the beach.

We had a nice week at Bamburgh with the obligatory repeat visits to the Farnes and Lindisfarne.

warmest good wishes

Bob W.
Old 24th September 2012, 21:20

My dad used to load them onto his pride & joy, a BMC 4 wheeler and take them to some old quarry, that was when I was a boy so going back 50 years or so.
The wife & kids are coming over to see them tomorrow for a week. No doubt the weather will bright, sunny and in the 80's ?

I hear it is terrible just now so one suitcase is dedicated to jackets boots etc

It's the parents 60th wedding anniversary and they were going to have a party at the home mother is in but she told the nurses she has been divorced for ten years and to call her by her maiden name !

Is that we have to look forward to at that age

Anyway good to hear from you, I was waiting to read Leo posting something about chief stewards but the silence is leading me to think there was more to our "wee" friend
All the best, Malcolm
Old 26th September 2012, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINEJOCKY View Post
My dad used to load them onto his pride & joy, a BMC 4 wheeler and take them to some old quarry, that was when I was a boy so going back 50 years or so.
The wife & kids are coming over to see them tomorrow for a week. No doubt the weather will bright, sunny and in the 80's ?

I hear it is terrible just now so one suitcase is dedicated to jackets boots etc

It's the parents 60th wedding anniversary and they were going to have a party at the home mother is in but she told the nurses she has been divorced for ten years and to call her by her maiden name !

Is that we have to look forward to at that age

Anyway good to hear from you, I was waiting to read Leo posting something about chief stewards but the silence is leading me to think there was more to our "wee" friend
All the best, Malcolm
Morning Malcolm.
I haven't responded to that thread because I feel embarrassed about being praised for doing my job. I do thank you and Alan for the good report though.
I am aware that some bad eggs gave the profession a bad name but I could name heads of all Departments who were guilty of transgressions as well as staff from head office including Superintendents.
The weather has just picked up here after serious floods covering the North East with people being evacuated from their homes in Morpeth(again) and other counties up here. In fact I thing the A1 is stilled blocked by standing water around the Catterick area.
I hope your family have a pleasant time over here and I don't want you getting into any trouble when they are away (clubbing etc)
I know what you youngsters are like.
Take Care Malcolm.

Regards

Leo
Old 28th September 2012, 00:49

I was standing in a rather "posh" bar last night, actually outside as the temp was about 80, when three rather good looking "chicks" walked in. To my surprise they headed our way, five of us guys staring at the girls, the cutest one came up to my friend who was smoking and in the strongest cockney accent ever said "can I get a fag mate" kinda spoiled the moment

....and of course I was home very early !!
Old 6th October 2012, 07:29
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINEJOCKY View Post
I was standing in a rather "posh" bar last night, actually outside as the temp was about 80, when three rather good looking "chicks" walked in. To my surprise they headed our way, five of us guys staring at the girls, the cutest one came up to my friend who was smoking and in the strongest cockney accent ever said "can I get a fag mate" kinda spoiled the moment

....and of course I was home very early !!
So she mistake you and your friends for a group of gay guys?
Old 7th October 2012, 17:45

So, are you homophobic ?.
Old 24th February 2014, 00:27

ALan

Quote:

Bob W
Hi there Bombersman,
Did Alan ever get back to theUK? I might be going to a wedding in Rio in June but don't know if I can make it to Santos.
Old 28th March 2014, 11:24

Unfortunately no, I assume he didn't get back to UK.
Old 9th January 2015, 23:31
Active: 1964 - 1967

Bidford Priory

Hi Everyone. I sailed on Bidford in 1966 Jr 5th Eng. I joined the ship with Chief and 3rd. The 3rd (John ? ) got hit by a truck in Trieste a few days before we joined ship. John survived but was a couple of weeks in hospital before joining the ship in Port Said. The Bidford sailed to Malta to go into dry dock for about a week (What a week) The dock pub --"The first and last " was well used. Another memory is when I joined the ship in Rejika Yugoslavia I was greeted by Engineer who told me I was replacing an engineer who Died while blowing boiler tubes . He showed me pictures of Sea burial -- Union jack an all. Any one remember this ? Those were the days !!

Anyone remember ! ?

Jack ( Vancouver Canada )
Old 4th May 2015, 16:50
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 1980

Hi, my mother was good pals with Dot Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzerboy View Post
I joined the Bidford Priory in 1973 in Naples as a deck cadet. It was my first trip to sea. Paddy Slevin was the old man. The Chief Engineer was Dot Mason. She brought her husband with her. We traded almost exclusively Mina Al Ahmadi to Kwinana. On my shift off I went to Perth. Never went back for 38 years. Just re-visited working as marine super for a deep sea mining company.
I 'll never forget wearing just a pair of filthy shorts and boots down cargo tanks. Shovelling oily scale into buckets. To be heaved to the deck and poured into a canvas chute and straight over the side. I did so love tank cleaning. Give me loaded passage every time.
Did you also sail with my Father DWLuff? Master. As a child I remember going to Perth, Freemantle, I think around that time. Did you sail with us?
Old 17th June 2015, 14:13

I sailed on the Bidford in 1972, last trip as deck cadet before going up for 2nd mates. David Luff was the master. Joined in Singapore and did a couple of trips up the gulf and then down to Kwinana before paying off in the middle of the night as Ras al Khaima
Old 12th July 2018, 17:38

Photo Bidford Priory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makari View Post
Can anyone help with a photo of the Bidford Priory or have any information on her, all replies most welcome. Mac
Hello, I found a photo from the Bidford Priory between photo's from my father in law.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bidford Priory.jpg (153.6 KB, 29 views)