Bidford Priory = 1960 - 1975 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bidford Priory = 1960 - 1975

User Tag List

Old 24th January 2009, 22:19
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonguish View Post
Sorry folks but I sailed on the Bidford Priory for 5 Months as 5/e in 75 and it was my worst trip I ever had ....

The whole reason for Batch sending you on the Bidford Priory was to make you appreciate the proper ships like: Cerinthus, Hardwicke Grange, Westbury, Ocean Transport, and Humboldt
Old 25th January 2009, 01:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonguish View Post
Sorry folks but I sailed on the bidford for 5 Months as 5/e in 75 and it was my worst trip I ever had C/E Lowry and his side kick Dave x2/E took an instant dislike to me and that also being junior to a 4/E who drank too much and the 3/O who likewise the higherachy in ER did not take kindly to me, had my watch off for my 21st cancelled and then to top it all they stopped my tap cause the taps had been stoppped on the 3/O and 4/E so tuff tiity to me. I thank God for the great skipper Paddy Slevin and C/S Maud ( I had sailled with Maud when she as AssC/S on the Hardwicke) who smuggled me the occasional brew ( even though Paddy was dry at sea ) that helped keep my sanity. My opinion of Alan and Dave remains tainted.
I am certainly sorry to hear of your experience especially with Alan Lowery, I sailed with Alan when I was a cadet & he was Chief, then as a Junior & he was an extra engineer getting his sea time in for his motor c/e ticket, then as a 4th when he was back as a c/e, then when I was a 2/e & he was c/e and finally I took over from Alan as c/e when he had to rush home to his sick wife in Santos.

My opinion of Alan is totally opposite of yours, I found him great to work with, always had time to show me & others what was needed and indeed to this day I consider him my mentor and besides my dad he was a person who taught me right from wrong and showed me that hard work never killed anybody (except the lazy).

Mind you Alan & I had a bad time for a while on the Cavendish until we sorted out the engineers who thought they knew better. We had each done 4 trips on her and knew the ship along with the deck guys and we had a 3rd, 4th & 5th on their first trips who thought they were better. We then found them fighting amngst themselves one night in the bar and it turned out they were all gay and having a lovers quarrel or whatever that is called. That certainly was a different trip for a while.

I was on the Brandon Priory and although the work was very hard I managed. I found all the hard working ships to be good and was going to write the worse ships were easy ones but then I could not think of one.

I have tried to find Alan via email with no luck so if anybody has any info?
Old 25th January 2009, 12:20

MARINEJOCKEY said
"I have tried to find Alan via email with no luck so if anybody has any info?"
Likewise. I regret losing touch with Alan who was a good friend of mine and lived within a mile or so from my home. As happens all too often, on leaving the sea and starting a family, I lost touch with Alan as we took our different paths in life.

Alan is highly intelligent, and an IQ test given at Bath Lane college to all students taking S1 in 1956, showed Al to be exceptional, to a degree that he was pointed out to the examiners from the doorway to the classroom.

Alan, Dave Revell (of the ill fated "Royston Grange"), and I all got our seconds steam tickets at about the same time and were fortunate to meet up together on the Denby Grange when she was in dry dock at Brigham and Cowans. When Alan and I were both on leave at the same time, as often happened, we would visit any Houlders ships that were on the Tyne and invariably meet old friends and folk that we had at least heard of.

I was sorry to hear the disparaging remarks about Alan, which seemed out of character but then we are all different aren't we.

Kind regards

Bob W.

Last edited by Bombersman; 25th January 2009 at 17:56.. Reason: spelling
Old 25th January 2009, 19:15

I was looking through a book titled "Hadley" by W.J.Harvey and there is a photo in it of the engine room of the CLYMENE when at Nelson, New Zealand with Captain W.S.S. Lewis, Chief Engineer C.H. Wall and Fred Lott and in the foreground a very young & skinny looking Junior Engineer A. Lowry ( I think that is the same A. Lowery that we know).
Old 25th January 2009, 19:24

Friery Fred Lott

Just to say that was the only time in my Career I had problems , and the mention of fred brings a smile to this day, all he was interested in was welding at his Bench on the poop and when I knew him ( or so I was told ) he had a habit of alwasy talking out the side of his mouth at you, was told he smoked a pipe for years, was his runarround on the Cerinthus, and again a Gent of the old school.
Old 25th January 2009, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINEJOCKY View Post
I was looking through a book titled "Hadley" by W.J.Harvey and there is a photo in it of the engine room of the CLYMENE when at Nelson, New Zealand with Captain W.S.S. Lewis, Chief Engineer C.H. Wall and Fred Lott and in the foreground a very young & skinny looking Junior Engineer A. Lowry ( I think that is the same A. Lowery that we know).
Alan sailed on the "Clymene" on her maiden voyege with a lad called Ernie Cherry who also served his apprenticeship with us at the Hawthorn Leslie marine engine works at St. Peters. You will no doubt be right about the A Lowery on the photograph. I vaguely remember the Chief Engineer, C.H.Wall, from the "Clymene" sea trials. If, as you say, Alan looked skinny then he must have lost some weight as he was always quite a big well proportioned lad who was a good footballer and runner..

His next trip was with me on the Bidford when I was promoted to 4/E in Cork in 1962. Ernie Cherry also joined the Bidford at the same time and it was great to be reunited with old pals from apprenticeship days. Together we had many good runs ashore including a notable one in Milazzo which I will not expand on.

Kind regards

Bob W.

Last edited by Bombersman; 25th January 2009 at 19:55.. Reason: spelling
Old 25th January 2009, 20:05

Clonguish, you mentioned earlier an extra second engineer called Dave. Was he by any chance a certain Dave Whelan and a fellow Geordie? If so then he would have been Alans Junior on the Bidford years earlier (c1963) when Alan and I were junior and senior third engineers respectively. John Kinkaid, again another "Royston Grange" victim, was my junior at the time.

Kind regards

Bob W.
Old 25th January 2009, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombersman View Post
Clonguish, you mentioned earlier an extra second engineer called Dave. Was he by any chance a certain Dave Whelan and a fellow Geordie? If so then he would have been Alans Junior on the Bidford years earlier (c1963) when Alan and I were junior and senior third engineers respectively. John Kinkaid, again another "Royston Grange" victim, was my junior at the time.

Kind regards

Bob W.
Hi Bob.
Would Dave Whelan be a lad from Whickam. If so, I'm sure I sailed with him on the Cavendish. My wife and I used to go out for a drink with him and his wife now and again.
Regards
Leo
Old 25th January 2009, 23:34

Quote:
Alan sailed on the "Clymene" on her maiden voyege with a lad called Ernie Cherry who also served his apprenticeship with us at the Hawthorn Leslie marine engine works at St. Peters. You will no doubt be right about the A Lowery on the photograph. I vaguely remember the Chief Engineer, C.H.Wall, from the "Clymene" sea trials. If, as you say, Alan looked skinny then he must have lost some weight as he was always quite a big well proportioned lad who was a good footballer and runner..

His next trip was with me on the Bidford when I was promoted to 4/E in Cork in 1962. Ernie Cherry also joined the Bidford at the same time and it was great to be reunited with old pals from apprenticeship days. Together we had many good runs ashore including a notable one in Milazzo which I will not expand on.

Kind regards

Bob W.

Hi Bob,

I heard a story about Alan and it took me until I was second (4th time of sailing together) before I got up enough courage to ask him if it was true. My understanding was he liked to bring his own pillow case with him but this was not stuffed with feathers but samples taken from certain areas of those he met during what must have been many cultural exchanges while ashore. Legend had it that he would take a pair of scissors with him and a plastic bag.

One night after Charlie Wilcox, Alan & myself had a few drinks I asked him and although he did not say yes he certainly did not deny it and indeed had a rather proud look on his face knowing the story was out there.

Do you know or have you ever heard of that story.
Old 25th January 2009, 23:38

Hi Leo, I seem to remember a Dave Whelan, were we all together on the Cavendish.
Old 26th January 2009, 06:24

Mornin' Leo.

Yup! that would be your man. As a junior he was a quiet, reserved and conscientious lad. Along with John Kinkaid Alan and I had two fine juniors.

Kind regards

Bob W.
Old 26th January 2009, 06:30

Mornin' to you also MARINEJOCKY.

You said "Do you know or have you ever heard of that story."

Sorry, but I haven't. He must have started his collection after I saw him last. I would have thought that Alans pillow would need to be rather large.

Kind regards

Bob W.
Old 26th January 2009, 09:30

Bomberman yes it was Dave Wheelen, and Mairinejockey heard that same story diff C/E but if I recall items were kept in special draw or cabinet.
Old 26th January 2009, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINEJOCKY View Post
Hi Leo, I seem to remember a Dave Whelan, were we all together on the Cavendish.
Morning Malcom.
I know I sailed with you on the "Cumbria" but not on the "Cavendish" (I think) In fact you must have been on the "Cumbria" when I got landed sick in the Canary Islands on the way up from South America. What a time I had in the British Hospital there but I could not possibly put the details on a public site.
Regards
Leo
Old 26th January 2009, 11:45

Quote:
Mornin' Leo.

Yup! that would be your man. As a junior he was a quiet, reserved and conscientious lad. Along with John Kinkaid Alan and I had two fine juniors.

Kind regards

Bob W.
Morning Bob.
He was not quiet and reserved as 2nd Eng. he was the life of a party as many who sailed on the "Cavendish" would testify to.
I knew John Kincaid well having sailed with him on the "Joya" when I think he was 4th. a sad loss.
Did you ever come across a 3rd. Eng. called Stan Hughes an Irish lad, he was also on the "Joya" at the same time.
Regards
Leo
Old 26th January 2009, 14:33

Hi Marinero.

"Did you ever come across a 3rd. Eng. called Stan Hughes an Irish lad..."
I certainly did, he sailed as 3/E with me on my last trip on the Bidford. The C/E was Bomber, captain was Mr Mulligan who had his wife with him and chief officer was Mr Charlesworth. Stan was a gentleman with a mischievous, impish grin and a good sense of humour. If I remember correctly, his full Christian name was Stanislow.

Those were the days when only master, chief officer, chief engineer and second engineer were allowed to take their wives with them much to the chagrin of the lecky who, like me, had just been married.

Kind regards

Bob W.
Old 26th January 2009, 21:15

leo,
was Stan Hughes's junior May '70-Nov '70 on the Bidford Priory.Was always life and soul of the party and liked a bevvy or three.Spent a month in dry-dock in Cadiz where Stan and myself ended up on nights,so we'd be out in the town and Cadiz area in the daytime,actually went up to a bull-fight at Jerez with the Chief Steward(cant remember his surname but he came from the Manchester area and I think his first name was Ken),Stan nearly got us thrown out of the bull-fight as he was cheering for the bull!!!!Last time I saw Stan was when we all paid-off and flew home from Abadan but unfortunately Stan's releif didn't show and you can imagine Stan was non too pleased.A good bloke and knew his stuff in the engine room.
vinny
Old 27th January 2009, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachy View Post
leo,
was Stan Hughes's junior May '70-Nov '70 on the Bidford Priory.Was always life and soul of the party and liked a bevvy or three.Spent a month in dry-dock in Cadiz where Stan and myself ended up on nights,so we'd be out in the town and Cadiz area in the daytime,actually went up to a bull-fight at Jerez with the Chief Steward(cant remember his surname but he came from the Manchester area and I think his first name was Ken),Stan nearly got us thrown out of the bull-fight as he was cheering for the bull!!!!Last time I saw Stan was when we all paid-off and flew home from Abadan but unfortunately Stan's releif didn't show and you can imagine Stan was non too pleased.A good bloke and knew his stuff in the engine room.
vinny
Hi Vinny.
You're right about Stan being an ace guy, salt of the earth in fact. Him and Kinkaid when they finished on the 12 to 4 in the morning, they used to have a few bevvies and when I turned to at 6 am I used to do them a fried breakfast so they had something to soak the beer up. Another time when we lost our Cook and a couple of Stewards in Japan(drug bust) Stan reckoned he was good at butchery so he used to carve up the huge hindquarters of beef(no pre packed stuff in those days) I wonder where he is now?
Regards
Leo
Old 27th January 2009, 14:48

Fond memories of John Kinkaid spring to mind at your mentioning him Leo.

John Kincaid served his time at Hawthorn Leslie Shipbuilders at Hebburn, while I was at Hawthorn Leslie St Peters Engine works as I have mentioned before. John was a first trip junior engineer with me on the 12 to 4 and his first port was La Salinas, Venezuela. I think that Venezuela was John’s first foreign country and he was keen to sample the local but limited night life of this oil town.

An election was being held at the time (1963?) and the locals were going berserk. I remember green, red and black buses tearing round with people hanging on and shouting and screaming for the various parties that these colours represented. John found himself in a local bar with some shipmates attracting the attention of the local ladies. A shout went up “Bombs! Bombs!” but John told me he thought that they were shouting “Bums! Bums!” and thought “They’ll get nowt out of me” and proceeded to put money in the juke box, oblivious of everyone diving under tables. Next door blew up. The ladies and I use the term loosely, considered John extremely brave and were all over him.

John lived in Frederick Street in South Shields and I went to see him after we had paid off. He proudly showed me the new radiogram that he had just bought to his mothers delight. He had some good tales to tell of the street animosity between the mixed races in the area.

Bob W.
Old 27th January 2009, 15:33

Peter Dekker

I wonder if anyone has sailed with Peter Dekker who was the son of Jacob Dekker, Boatswain (Royston Grange fatality). Peter was a deck apprentice with Houlders round about 1962 if I remember correctly. The family lived next door to my sister in law in Wallsend. My sister in law moved house just after the time of the disaster.

Bob W.
Old 27th January 2009, 19:24

Quote:
I wonder if anyone has sailed with Peter Dekker who was the son of Jacob Dekker, Boatswain (Royston Grange fatality). Peter was a deck apprentice with Houlders round about 1962 if I remember correctly. The family lived next door to my sister in law in Wallsend. My sister in law moved house just after the time of the disaster.

Bob W.
Evening Bob.
I never sailed with Peter that I remember but I knew his Dad quite well with sailing on the "Royston". If I remember correctly he was used as a model for naval uniforms him being a very nautical looking chap.
I recall one night with John & Stan seeing if they could drink enough cans to line the alleyway outside the saloon on the "Joya" with the empties, I think they had help from a few more people though and it was quite impressive. Other names come to mind on the "Joya" Ellis Mason Ch.Eng. Ev Partington 2nd.Eng. Nobby Clark Ch.Off. Ronnie Marr J/2/Eng who I sailed with on the Oil Rigs.
During my time in the Offshore Office in Aberdeen I worked with Nobby Clark for quite a while until his sad demise.
You know Bob I reckon collectively, we could write a book about our lives at sea but I doubt anyone would believe us.
Regards
Leo
Old 27th January 2009, 20:34

Hi Leo.

The beer can line would be typical of Stan, he was alway ready for a bit of fun.

Names from the past bringing back many happy memories.

Ellis Mason and his wife Dorothy I knew very well and sailed with them many times. Alan Lowery and I paid him a visit in the Tyne on the Brandon shortly after he was made chief. He was second engineer on both the Bidford and the Brandon (but not at the same time :-) )when I sailed with him. As 4/E on a 14 month trip, broken by two weeks dry dock art falmouth, I was on daywork with him for a while.

Nobby Clark I sailed with on the Bidford once. Ev Partington and Ronnie Marr I heard of but never met.

Kind regards

Bob W.
Old 30th January 2009, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Hi Vinny.
You're right about Stan being an ace guy, salt of the earth in fact. Him and Kinkaid when they finished on the 12 to 4 in the morning, they used to have a few bevvies and when I turned to at 6 am I used to do them a fried breakfast so they had something to soak the beer up. Another time when we lost our Cook and a couple of Stewards in Japan(drug bust) Stan reckoned he was good at butchery so he used to carve up the huge hindquarters of beef(no pre packed stuff in those days) I wonder where he is now?
Regards
Leo
Hi Leo,
think stan lived in Dundrum,Dublin.Ellis Mason was Chief Eng, Skipper was Capt. Kerr, Electrician Chris Brannan, 2nd eng Bob Riley from Wigan,Geordie lad called "Robbo"3rd eng,. can anybody remember the Bosun's name, was a young guy from Brum who was into bodybuilding(sailed with him on the Cerinthus).
vinny
Old 25th October 2010, 11:15

Hi Brian, I was first trip engineer cadet around that time. Chief Engineer prior to Alan was Ellis Mason. Nearly gave up but Alan and George talked me out of it and stayed another 16 years. JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN HERDMAN View Post
i sailed on that tub If i wasnt for the great crew ide have commited hari cari The engineering officers salt of the earth,A LOWERY CHIEF ENG probably saved my life when my overalls got caught in taco shaft.GEORGE CHALMERS 2ND ENG,DAVE WHEELAN 3rdeng.RON PENNYCOOK 4th FRED DIFFY EX 3rd,IAN HARDIE EX 4th eng tony yates grocer(perser)
Old 30th October 2010, 21:24

what a ship

I sailed on the bideford had a great time in dry dock in singapore
kepel ship yard the tiger beer left a lot to desired wold love to now anyone who was there
the bosun was a great guy from st ives i think

galley boy

Terry Rand