Old Blue Flue Mates - Page 12 - Ships Nostalgia
13:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Old Blue Flue Mates

User Tag List

Old 15th February 2015, 20:41

Hi, Hugh,

My apologies for any confusion. In March 1960 there most certainly was a young lady in the tailoring trade at Hong Kong known as Hong Kong Mary. Of course, there might well have been more than one Hong Kong Mary - ond only the warmest of good wishes are sent to any one of them.

For sure, no disrespect was intended to the lady in your most touching account of friendship rekindled. I hope that you are all well.

Very best,

Barrie
Old 26th February 2015, 06:52

Joe Duggan

Hello Barrie and Hugh.

Warm thoughts indeed of those happy days.

I wonder if you gentlemen or any other SN member remember a lovely man who was 1st R/O on the SS IXION.around 1970.

His name was Joe Duggan as I recall and he liked a pink Gin or two before dinner. A dear man who always had a cheer you up story, and could sing the wild Colonial boy.

Succour.
Old 26th February 2015, 16:04

My location
1970!?!? Much too late for me; I had left for greener pastures all but twenty years prior.
Old 26th February 2015, 16:28

Me, too (although not as Senior as Hugh)!

Very sorry.

BY
Old 8th July 2015, 01:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2009

I remember Jim Geddie - did a voyage with him in 1953 as a Middy - can't remember what on.
Old 24th May 2019, 10:10

Hi Peter Martin and Mike Lynskey
I was middy with Peter and Mike was warden at Aulis during MCC in Riversdale in 1970. Cheers, Sylvester on 24 May 2019
Old 8th November 2019, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Ah N.E. Roberts - a gentleman Bosun. Always paid off skint when I was with him

BW

J
What a load of rubbish! How on earth would you know he paid off 'skint' as you put it. NE Roberts was staff from 62/63 onwards, well before you started in the China. Staff did not pay off in the same way the rest of us did. Leading Seamen, Lampy's and Bosun received their money into the bank like the officers. Worth saying something complimentary in that NE Roberts came from a fine family in Denbigh, North Wales. Brothers and sisters were either medical practitioners or Lawyers. In passing, NE Roberts was a gentleman and holder of a Second Mates (FG) ticket. Joe Bates, did not hold a ticket like you say in another thread.

Alec
Old 9th November 2019, 02:41
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1951

Re post #67

I sailed with men who had an Extra Masters Certificate.

SAMFORTH, 1944/5. Captain E.A.H. Gepp and 1st Mate Mr. Guppy.
GLENGARRY, 1949/50. Captain Duncan MacTavish.
DEUCALION, 1951. Captain W.K. Kerr.
Old 9th November 2019, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvesterheng View Post
I was middy with in 1970.
Alas the rest of us in lesser companies were just cadets or apprentices
Old 9th November 2019, 13:09

Happy for anyone to correct me but I understood the reason why Blue Funnel were allowed to call their apprentices midshipmen was because it was an honour bestowed by the "Ministry of Defence" for BF apprentice gallantry manning the evacuation craft at Gallipoli.

Last edited by R651400; 9th November 2019 at 13:19.. Reason: Geriatricism...
Old 9th November 2019, 14:19
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
What would make you think that a word in the English language could be in the gift of a government department? Any company can apply whatever titles that it wishes to its employees, as long as the actual words chosen do not imply an unwarranted medical, academic or similar qualification/earned entitlement.

If a hotel wishes to call its doorkeepers Petty Officers, Sergeants, Marshals or Commissionaires, that is a matter for them, not the government of the day.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 9th November 2019, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Happy for anyone to correct me but I understood the reason why Blue Funnel were allowed to call their apprentices midshipmen was because it was an honour bestowed by the "Ministry of Defence" for BF apprentice gallantry manning the evacuation craft at Gallipoli.
There were many acts of gallantry by cadets/apprentices in other companies in both WW's and awards made, they did not change into midshipmen. I have noticed over the years that somehow a MFG Certificate of Competency obtained whilst serving in BF is somehow thought superior to one gained whilst serving in other companies, or they seem to think it is. I would argue that a Master of a tramper is just as competent, and perhaps more so than someone who has spent their whole career on a waterborne bus route (no disrespect intended, career paths are chosen for a number of reasons). The Master of a tramper is thrown into the unknown on frequent occasions and also sometimes without adequate charts because they were not available at the last port of call and there was insufficient time before sailing to have them flown out, just an observation.
Old 9th November 2019, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN M View Post
Re post #67

I sailed with men who had an Extra Masters Certificate.

SAMFORTH, 1944/5. Captain E.A.H. Gepp and 1st Mate Mr. Guppy.
GLENGARRY, 1949/50. Captain Duncan MacTavish.
DEUCALION, 1951. Captain W.K. Kerr.
That captain Gepp you mention Ian, was marine superintendant in Liverpool/Birkenhead during my time in BF. (1950/60s).
He always wore a bowler hat as he watched the incoming ship through the locks, and onto the berth.He always looked stern and judgemental.
I never had anything to do with him, but I got the impression that he was feared and disliked.
Old 10th November 2019, 03:45
Active: 1943 - 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
That captain Gepp you mention Ian, was marine superintendant in Liverpool/Birkenhead during my time in BF. (1950/60s).
He always wore a bowler hat as he watched the incoming ship through the locks, and onto the berth.He always looked stern and judgemental.
I never had anything to do with him, but I got the impression that he was feared and disliked.
Pat

He was well liked when Master of the Samforth. Later, in 1948, when Marine Super, he came on board the Atreus to inspect her before she sailed, saw me and came over to shake my hand.

Regards

Ian
Old 21st November 2019, 17:35

Trying to contact Cap John Bax of The Blue Funnel Line
Old 21st November 2019, 17:49

John Bax SN user name was Capt John Bax and his last visit was in 2012.
Old 22nd November 2019, 16:14

My location
I sailed with a John Bax on one of the "A" Boats in the mid 1950s, he was an AB at the time, I can remember another member of this site saying that he also sailed with a John Bax AB. Maybe there are two people of the same name. the John that I knew I think, came from the Edenbridge area in Kent. He was a bright and confident young man who, could have conceivably have risen to the top.
Old 22nd November 2019, 16:21

Thanks to all the John Bax I am trying to contact was with The Straits Steamship Co before retiring and ending up in Canada.
Old 22nd November 2019, 17:56

Tigermoth... SN profile shows user-name as Capt.John Bax. Ret. Last site visit May 2012 and then residing at Belleville Ontario Canada..
Had a few email exchanges with John many years ago and may have his em address on an old WAB backup.
Old 22nd November 2019, 19:43
Active: 1952 - 1989

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by price View Post
I sailed with a John Bax on one of the "A" Boats in the mid 1950s, he was an AB at the time, I can remember another member of this site saying that he also sailed with a John Bax AB. Maybe there are two people of the same name. the John that I knew I think, came from the Edenbridge area in Kent. He was a bright and confident young man who, could have conceivably have risen to the top.
Hello Bruce, I sailed on the "Astyanax" with a John Bax AB in 1954/55 who came from Kent. He has got to be the same man as you described.A very tall man as I recollect, he told me that he felt a bit out of it as he was the only southerner among a crew of Scousers and Welshmen.
Old 23rd November 2019, 03:31
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
I was at Riversdale in 62 to 64 and our class consisted of half Brocklebanks and the rest BF . We were all good mates and would go to the Aiggie together at times . Would visit Aulis at times and on occasion would have a free lunch . We were all engineer apprentices but Aulis also housed BF Middy's ; one of their lecturers was Capt Rooney who started a Riversdale Rugby club of which I was a member and consisted mainly of BF/ Brocks engineer apprentices and an occasional BF Middy . We were quite sucessfull as a team and had a great time .
BF tended to be a little snooty however slowed down after an incident in the docks at Birkenhead .
Out of the Blue all the Brocks apprentices were invited to attend lunch in Birkenhead on on of our ships Mangla I think ?
On arrival and before having lunch we were all taken over to an adjacent berth to view a BF ship which had partially sunk alongside ( apparently due to not shutting off the sea inlets prior to opening the strainers for cleaning ) which we were there we could see divers and fire department pumping out the engine room .

All had a good laugh and lunch and lots to chat about with our BF mates the following week .

BF eng apprentices had to go over to Odessay Works every Sat Morning which they did not enjoy on their weekends . The dreaded Super from Dundee a Mr Dalglish ( Know as Daggy )
Tomorrow i will post some of the BF names I can recollect from that time.

Cheers Derek
Old 23rd November 2019, 11:05

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
Hello Bruce, I sailed on the "Astyanax" with a John Bax AB in 1954/55 who came from Kent. He has got to be the same man as you described.A very tall man as I recollect, he told me that he felt a bit out of it as he was the only southerner among a crew of Scousers and Welshmen.
Yes Alec, Sounds like the same John Bax, nice to hear from you, give my best wishes to Bill when you see him.
Old 23rd November 2019, 13:36

Thanks very much. If you could find his e mail that would be great .
Old 24th November 2019, 01:16
Super Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
I was at Riversdale in 62 to 64 and our class consisted of half Brocklebanks and the rest BF . We were all good mates and would go to the Aiggie together at times . Would visit Aulis at times and on occasion would have a free lunch . We were all engineer apprentices but Aulis also housed BF Middy's ; one of their lecturers was Capt Rooney who started a Riversdale Rugby club of which I was a member and consisted mainly of BF/ Brocks engineer apprentices and an occasional BF Middy . We were quite sucessfull as a team and had a great time .
BF tended to be a little snooty however slowed down after an incident in the docks at Birkenhead .
Out of the Blue all the Brocks apprentices were invited to attend lunch in Birkenhead on on of our ships Mangla I think ?
On arrival and before having lunch we were all taken over to an adjacent berth to view a BF ship which had partially sunk alongside ( apparently due to not shutting off the sea inlets prior to opening the strainers for cleaning ) which we were there we could see divers and fire department pumping out the engine room .

All had a good laugh and lunch and lots to chat about with our BF mates the following week .

BF eng apprentices had to go over to Odessay Works every Sat Morning which they did not enjoy on their weekends . The dreaded Super from Dundee a Mr Dalglish ( Know as Daggy )
Tomorrow i will post some of the BF names I can recollect from that time.

Cheers Derek
The names of the BF members in our class is as follows
Yau Sei Wah known as wag or Waggie ; from Indonisia a place called Kula Pela . After leaving BF he became the head of Sembawang Shipyards ; then moved to Korea and retired in Seattle after a heart attack .

Mel Wilson ( capt of our rugby team ) came from around Carlisle ; left BF and joined the Army and pursued his love of Rugby .

Dave Irleland who lived next door to Paul Mc Cartney ; early days Paul who didnt have a record player would visit Dave to play his records ; it was an old " Dancette " Dave sold it to another class mate also BF Steve Hogg who when he moved digs sold it to me . I took it home and was not using it and my mother asked if she could have it to sell at a church sale of work ; I said yes and told her a bit about Mc Cartney etc .

It was sold as I recollect for about 5 pounds which was more than a new one would cost at that time ( I think I bought it for about 10 bob )

All For tonight Derek
Old 25th November 2019, 22:14
Super Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
The names of the BF members in our class is as follows
Yau Sei Wah known as wag or Waggie ; from Indonisia a place called Kula Pela . After leaving BF he became the head of Sembawang Shipyards ; then moved to Korea and retired in Seattle after a heart attack .

Mel Wilson ( capt of our rugby team ) came from around Carlisle ; left BF and joined the Army and pursued his love of Rugby .

Dave Irleland who lived next door to Paul Mc Cartney ; early days Paul who didnt have a record player would visit Dave to play his records ; it was an old " Dancette " Dave sold it to another class mate also BF Steve Hogg who when he moved digs sold it to me . I took it home and was not using it and my mother asked if she could have it to sell at a church sale of work ; I said yes and told her a bit about Mc Cartney etc .

It was sold as I recollect for about 5 pounds which was more than a new one would cost at that time ( I think I bought it for about 10 bob )

All For tonight Derek
Other BF engineer apprentices at that time Johnnie Willis from Inverness ; his father was a Master with BF at the time . John was got married to a local girl and quit the sea to work at Odessay Works .
A chap called Rick Foster who had been to Conway ; Allan Coy Tim Morbey Gerry Larkin who a later met when I attended a ship in Saint John to do repairs and Gerry was Chief Eng ; had him stay with us for a couple of days while the work was being done and we had a great time talking about our time at Riversdale Kenny Blackburn from Liverpool who left the sea and joined international Red Hand paints who I believe became International Paints of which Kenny became a director . Bill Beveridge from Dundee ( as i was at the time ) he lived close to me and his living next door to him Was Jimmy Shand who had many Scottish Hit tunes .Also L>C Haley from Liverpool .

The Brocklebank lads in our class were Paddy Clark ( from Larne ) Bill Grey from Dumfries ; Johnny Collins from Liverpool Jim Stephenson ( From Hull ) Stan Robinson from St Helens ; Jeff Baker from Liverpool; Dickie Guy from Liverpool ; Dave Dowling also from Liverpool ; PD Brown ( Hovis ) from N. E who father was the manager of one of the NE yards ( Pickersgills if my memory serves me correctly .and Myself from Dundee .

In all we had a great bunch of guys and had many a happy time .

Cheers Derek