Female Engineering Cadets - Ships Nostalgia
08:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Female Engineering Cadets

User Tag List

Old 22nd January 2009, 02:27
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Seeing the 'What happened to Nina' thread started me thinking about female engineering apprentices.
A couple of years ago Gordon Smeaton gave me some information on his seatime which included the Shahamah.
Laura Nardone was indicated as being an E/C, so does anybody know anything about her?
One of the Shahamah's 4/E's was a Heather Cowan, how about her?

The Engineering apprentice/cadet scheme only started in 1952 (The name was changed to Engineering Cadets in 1965) and I have never come across any other females in our group .

Graham
Old 8th May 2009, 10:26

Heather Cowan still doing the rounds, look her up on facebook.
Isailed with her on Shahamah
Old 8th May 2009, 10:46
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

My location
Was it Heather who was engaged to Andy Shearer briefly? I can't recall if that was her real name or not, I only remember the nickname.

Jim
Old 8th May 2009, 12:24

Later in Life when I had joined the marine industry, but not sailing at sea, I was amazed to learn of married sea going couples, maybe in different departments (Radio-engine-deck) ( I never heard of crew female members on a general cargo/tanker ship) serving with diffent shipping companies or the same, and the alledged policy of some companies not not allowing married persons on the same ship in a serving rank capacity. I would ruminate on their personal lives if ships and leave did not coincide? What was the advantage of married life. A question to ponder?
Old 8th May 2009, 13:14

Within the last ten years I sailed with a officer married couple, he Mate and she Second Mate, on large Norweigan flag gas carrier. Like me they were permanant staff returning each trip. They were Australian and lived near Brisbane if I remember correctly. I dont know of any problems and did not see any.

Tim
Old 8th May 2009, 14:00
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 2005

My location
Yup ... Tim is right .... in the late 50's and throughout the 60's the Scandinavians and German vessels had quite a few married couples aboard their ships .... the wives were often the Stewardess's
Old 8th May 2009, 14:21
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location

From memory, it seems to me that most cadets (and everyone else on board - apart from some in the Chief Steward's department) were enthusiastic students of female engineering. On passenger ships great efforts were made to pursue such studies while at sea; on all ships, on arriving in port, the subject took priority over most other interests.

However when I was in the MN, I never realised that some shipowners were so enlightened as to provide sponsored training in the discipline. Had I known, I would have transferred from the radio room like a shot.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 8th May 2009, 15:42
Active: 1970 - Present

Graham,

As usual, one starts a thread and some go way off topic.

I only ever met one Female Engineering Cadet "Officer". She came onboard for a week in Avonmouth before joining the company to see if she would like the work.

I had sailed with Allison a female officer, twice, first as a deck cadet and then as a 3/O. She was also on the ship in Avonmouth and the company thought it a good idea to send this other girl to work on the same ship as Allison.

I was a single guy and the girls biggest complaint was that all of the married guys were trying it on with them.

I have no idea what happened to that new girl but as far as I remember Houlders never had a female engineer while I was there.

I sailed with Mearsk after Houlders and we had a chief steward whose wife was a stewardess and they would sail together for a year and then go home and take a year off. Obviously they had no kids.
Old 8th May 2009, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_C View Post
Was it Heather who was engaged to Andy Shearer briefly? I can't recall if that was her real name or not, I only remember the nickname.
Your close but no cigar - best keep this one out of public viewing
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 9th May 2009, 02:57
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

Sailed with an AB in BP called Chris (Scottish fella, surname escapes me at the mo), He was married to and sailed with the only female (proper, that I'm aware of) Stewardess in the company at the time. Her name was Jean. Anyone recall ?
Old 9th May 2009, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
Your close but no cigar - best keep this one out of public viewing
Being in the industry for 30 years and quite familiar with the mindset, I am sure it is very insulting and degrading.
Old 9th May 2009, 13:19

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoK View Post
Being in the industry for 30 years and quite familiar with the mindset, I am sure it is very insulting and degrading.

Merely suggesting keeping someones private life off the forum does not constitute insulting or degrading. I fail to see the connection
In the fullness of time

Last edited by Satanic Mechanic; 9th May 2009 at 14:42..
Old 9th May 2009, 21:52

My apologies-it reads quite differently then what you meant
Old 10th May 2009, 00:30
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1979 - Present

There was an American flagged Motor Ship fitted with an MAK geared reduced Medium Speed Engine that was specially fitted for voyages to Antarctica carrying US Navy Cargo. I don;t recall her full name but the first word was Green. I rendered some assistance to her in Saudi Arabia a number of years ago at the radioed behest of my Shipping Companies Superintendent Engineer. During my association with her I called her the Green Weenie.

The vessel was unique to say the least. I was met at the gangway in the Port of Daharan by her Captainand he resembled an Old Testament Phrophet, sandles and all. I helped with spares from my ship of which I was Chief Engineer and was able with the assistance of my Electrician and Junior Engineer's to enable Green Weenie to embark on a passage to Antarctica. I heard through the Maritime rumour mill that the Chief Engineer who was in Green Weenie when my people assisted her quit when the ship returned to New Orleans. He was replaced by an extremely stern leather clad woman who reported for duty with her husband who was also leather clad. They are members of a Hells Angles type Motor Cycle Gang and spend their holidays roaring down the Inter State highways of the United States and Canada. Oh and the Chief wouldn't take the job unless her leather clad husband could sail as First Engineer along side her.

Respectfully;
Hugh Curran aka Beartracks
Old 29th August 2012, 07:25
Active: 1974 - Present

My location
I did a couple of trips with BP in 1991, Beech and Success.
I remember 3 engine cadets on the Success.One was a girl.Can't remember the name, but she was from Halifax,UK and her father ran a lorry business. She was by far better then the two male cadets.
Heather Cowan mentioned in previous posts. Was an engineer with this name working for Maersk , but haven't noticed the name recently.
Also with Maersk we had an ex Marine who had had the operation, using a womans name.
Old 29th August 2012, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScouse View Post
I did a couple of trips with BP in 1991, Beech and Success.
I remember 3 engine cadets on the Success.One was a girl.Can't remember the name, but she was from Halifax,UK and her father ran a lorry business. She was by far better then the two male cadets.
Heather Cowan mentioned in previous posts. Was an engineer with this name working for Maersk , but haven't noticed the name recently.
Also with Maersk we had an ex Marine who had had the operation, using a womans name.
Tammy Potter and I am betting your initials are DG - if I am right how are the buffalos?

nb She was named for Tammy Wynette, her sister was Billy Jo ........there is absolutely NO truth in the rumour her mother was Boxcar Willie
In the fullness of time

Last edited by Satanic Mechanic; 29th August 2012 at 10:24..
Old 30th August 2012, 05:27

My location
Yes, Tammy. Used to play prop forward for her school rugby team.
Correct, I am DG..
No idea who you are.
Still have the farm, but live in town now, so no live buffalos, just a mechanical one.
Old 30th August 2012, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
Later in Life when I had joined the marine industry, but not sailing at sea, I was amazed to learn of married sea going couples, maybe in different departments (Radio-engine-deck) ( I never heard of crew female members on a general cargo/tanker ship) serving with diffent shipping companies or the same, and the alledged policy of some companies not not allowing married persons on the same ship in a serving rank capacity. I would ruminate on their personal lives if ships and leave did not coincide? What was the advantage of married life. A question to ponder?
When I later sailed with CP Ships, we had a Third Mate and Second Mate who were married to each other. Sea personnel were so uncomfortable with this, despite no adverse reports from Masters, that they put the wife on bulkers, where trips were 4 months, while the hubby sailed on tankers with three month trips. All that happened was that the wife resigned, went ashore and joined the police. For sea personnel, "problem solved". For the rest of us, it merely confirmed that what been a good company a few years earlier had become a right bunch of sh*ts. When the redundancies started a year or so later, needless to say, the wife didn't get any!
Old 31st August 2012, 18:43

Tony White and wife Clare both ex BP Navigating Apprentice/Cadet sailed as married team on Avon in 1980's

Graham
Old 11th September 2012, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_C View Post
Was Andy Shearer 3rd Engineer, or maybe 2nd?

Gra.
Old 16th February 2013, 06:28
Active: 1988 - Present

Just for the record, Andy Shearer was a mate not an Engineer, and he wasnt engaged to Heather!

Both Heather and Tammy currently working as Superintendents for different companies in Singapore.
Old 16th February 2013, 11:45
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Female engineer cadet on C***** checking the air conditioning in the passenger accomodation without a hygrometer."If it feels right it is ok"
Old 23rd February 2013, 17:26
Active: 1988 - Present

Currently sitting in Dubai Mish with Tammy Potter having a pint. She says to Bluescouse and Satanicmechanic give us clue who you are. You slack tarts!
Old 25th February 2013, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxbspd View Post
Currently sitting in Dubai Mish with Tammy Potter having a pint. She says to Bluescouse and Satanicmechanic give us clue who you are. You slack tarts!
Hi,

Maybe you can get her to drop me an email, I have never been in touch with any of BP's female EC's, I would be really interested to hear from her.

Graham
Old 25th February 2013, 13:11

My location
I was 3rd engineer on the Success when Tammy was a cadet.Think she was first trip.Other 3rd was Alan Barker,lived in Swefden.Arthur Salmon was chief, junior was Trevor Wigg-Twiggy-.Next chief was Gaulkroger,2nd was Norman something,can't remember anyone else.
I joined in Khaosiung Feb 92,left in Kwinana a few months later
This Satanic Mechanic must have been on there, as I only did two trips with BP.