HMS Glenearn - Ships Nostalgia
00:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Glenearn

User Tag List

Old 8th February 2011, 19:01
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1942 - 1944

HMS Glenearn

Hello. My father served on HMS Glenearn during WW2. His name is John Hunt and he was a Royal Marine. He piloted the landing crafts from ship to shore. He is now 87 years of age and would like to contact any other Royal Marines who served on the ship, or any of their family members. He has photographs of himself and shipmates he can share and would also like to see photos and any information other people may have. Thank you.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:12

My location
Janet, Do you happen to know about the book which was written by the son of the Chief Engineer of the Glenearn. I am in touch with the author, Alex Aiken's widow, Janette, who lives in Glasgow. I'm fairly certain that she still has some copies of the book for sale at a very modest price.
If this is of interest to you send me a PM. and I will give you her 'phone number.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:20

Hello. Many thanks for your message. Strangely enough, I only enrolled on the site about an hour and a half ago and this is my second message. Another gentleman emailed and asked if I would like his book of the same author. He is going to post it to me. In case it does not arrive, I will refer back to your email. Does Janette have an email address or is contact by phone only? Thanks. Janet.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:40

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet McFarlane View Post
Hello. Many thanks for your message. Strangely enough, I only enrolled on the site about an hour and a half ago and this is my second message. Another gentleman emailed and asked if I would like his book of the same author. He is going to post it to me. In case it does not arrive, I will refer back to your email. Does Janette have an email address or is contact by phone only? Thanks. Janet.
I do not know if Janette has an E.mail address: probably not as she has made no mention of such in any communication with the several people showing an interest in owning a copy of the book.
Click HERE for a splendid photograph of the Glenearn.
Old 8th February 2011, 23:20
Active: 1936 - 1986

I saw Glenearn in operation off the Normandy beachheads.
It was an incredible sight to see her conversion to LSI -Landing Ship Infantry
with 24 landing craft in davits and masses of armaments installed on her decks.
She operated all through June and returned to the Solent two or three times
during that period..
Stan
Old 9th February 2011, 07:39

My location
After that, Stan, she came out east and I was in a minor operation in which she and HMS Glenroy participated in the re-occupation of the Andaman Islands.
And then they were reconverted and went on to commercial service until the mid sixties-remarkable ships those Glens!
Old 9th February 2011, 10:53

HMS Glenearn

Hello Stan. Many thanks for this information. I have forwarded this to my father. Best wishes to you. Janet.
Old 9th February 2011, 15:36
Active: 1936 - 1986

Thankyou Janet - my best wishes for your father a fellow veteran of Normandy.
We were both priveleged to take part in this tremendous historical operation.
Kind regards
Stan
Old 9th January 2013, 07:06
Department: Electrician
Active: 1964 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet McFarlane View Post
Hello. My father served on HMS Glenearn during WW2. His name is John Hunt and he was a Royal Marine. He piloted the landing crafts from ship to shore. He is now 87 years of age and would like to contact any other Royal Marines who served on the ship, or any of their family members. He has photographs of himself and shipmates he can share and would also like to see photos and any information other people may have. Thank you.
Hi Janette, my father joe cooper was a royal marine on the landing craft also. He is still alive and he is 88. I would be interested in any other corrospondents, when i can get the grandkid to show me how to use this system. We are in Melbourne, Australia. Cheers Alan Cooper
Old 29th January 2013, 09:59

Hello Glenearn followers,

My late father was on HMS Glenearn from Jan 1946 - to May 1946, as a Petty Officer. His name was Alexander (Hal) Cooper. Anyone out there remember him? I don't know where the Glenearn would have been during the time he was on it. I do know he was stationed at Kure, Japan some time in 1946, but don't know if it was on the Glenearn or on another ship.

Cheers, Joan (Perth, Australia)
Old 9th March 2013, 23:46

Albert Barnard 11th april 1945

Hi
My mum's uncle AlbertBarnard was a seaman on the glenearn and died in the explosion on 11thApril 1945 any information on whether anyone knows him would be greatly appreciated.
Gratefully
Clare Crossland
Old 13th January 2014, 16:56
Active: 1974 - 1994

Hi my father was on the Glenearn out in kure japan he was a stoker unfortunately he has passed on now but I have a lot of photos from when he was in hiroshima and also some of the crew his name was bob(smudge)smith. Like a lot of the people who went through that time he didn't talk much about it except about the mates he had whilst serving on glenearn
Old 20th January 2014, 16:30

HMS Glenearn

Hello Janet

My Father (Fred Turp) also served on HMS Glenearn as a Marine during the D day landings, and was also on working on an LCA. He is sitting next to me now, and would love to hear from your Father and see some photos. He would be pleased to have contact from any other person who served on the ship.

Regards
John Turp
Old 20th January 2014, 19:40
Active: 1974 - 1994

I am sorry but as I said in my original post my father has passed away however i have some photos of some of the glenearn's stokers mess and as soon as i learn to upload them if that is possible on this forum I will maybe your dad could put some names to the faces. I am new to posting so please bear with me as I will try my best
regards Carlton H
Old 1st February 2014, 17:08

Hello Calton H and all who have had relations on the HMS Glenearn. My father, James Dubois was injured in the explosion on board the Glenearn and was transferred to a hospital on New Guinea. I would be really interested to see any photo's you have of the crew.
I also have the book 'In Time of War' by Alex Aiken and found it very interesting and informative. I know that his wife Janette has some copy's left as I have just bought a second one from her for my sister.
If you can upload the Photo's Carlton I would really appreciate seeing them if not maybe there is another way ?

Yours sincerely Tim Dubois
Old 10th February 2014, 23:03

Hello all, my late Grandad 'George' Walter Gibbons served on HMS Glenearn during WW2, anyone remember him/have any pictures/stories at all please?

I'm afraid I don't have any info or old photos myself, except for an official printed picture of the ship that I got and gave to him a year before he past (2010 aged 85). From what he told me as a youngster I do know he was on the ship for the D-Day landings, stayed with a great family whilst a shore in Australia and went onto Hiroshima.

Thank you.

Last edited by ianjconnor; 10th February 2014 at 23:07..
Old 17th February 2014, 11:11

Hi There my grandfather was onboard glenearn hms with Joe Cooper his name is
JACK EAVES

you could find me on my website to make contact www.reneeeaves.com or earthangelrenee at hotmail.com
Old 8th June 2014, 15:23

Hello all

My Grandad, Ted or Edward Holden, now in his nineties, served on the HMS Glenearn, including D Day. He was an Assistant Engineer.

I have just started reading 'In Time of War' today.

Tim Dubois - my Grandad remembers your father, James Dubois. I have a photo of some of the Engineers and Electricians who served on HMS Glenearn during D Day, and he thinks that your father is on this photo. I will send you a copy by email and also maybe you could verify for us whether it is your father.

Kind regards
Kim
Old 8th June 2014, 18:37

My location
This is the H.M.S. Glenearn I first set eyes on: looks pretty formidable!
At that time I could never have imagined that I would pilot that ship-when she had returned to commercial service- into Aden a couple of times in 1955/56.

See HERE for another thread on this ship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H.M.S. Glenearn.jpg (56.8 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Hugh Ferguson; 8th June 2014 at 18:46..
Old 22nd June 2014, 12:46

Dunstan Pearson

Hello, my "uncle"was Dunstan Pearson, he sadly died on 09 April 1945 along with another sailor when there was an explosion on board - my father, his cousin, never got over it his whole life. Does anyone have any memories of Dunstan Pearson?
Old 28th June 2014, 13:19

It looks like my great Uncle was the other sailor you refer to as he died of his wounds from an explosion on the glenearn on the 11th april 1945
Clare
Old 28th June 2014, 16:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK100 View Post
Hello, my "uncle"was Dunstan Pearson, he sadly died on 09 April 1945 along with another sailor when there was an explosion on board - my father, his cousin, never got over it his whole life. Does anyone have any memories of Dunstan Pearson?
This has been scanned from Page 304 in the book by Alex Aiken, "In Time Of War" (I knew Alex, he and his wife visited me here in Cornwall many years ago: he died some years later: his father was an engineer in the Glenearn).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glenearn.jpg (79.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 28th June 2014, 19:28

My location
See also HERE
Old 30th June 2014, 16:14

Dunstan Pearson

Thank you to you both for this information - sadly my father passed away in January, he would have been comforted to know that Dunstan and the other sailor died quickly as he was told differently. I am presuming Lesley, who is Claire's great uncle was engaged to be wed?
Old 30th June 2014, 16:15

Dunstan Pearson

Although I have said thank you I really cannot thank you both enough, especially for copying the information from that book - that was very helpful.