Members no longer posting. - Page 9 - Ships Nostalgia
04:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Members no longer posting.

User Tag List

Old 19th October 2019, 12:06

I do not think so. If anything caused him to leave I think it must have been that he no longer could suffer the company of ignorant fools such as us (me).

Last edited by stein; 19th October 2019 at 19:42..
Old 19th October 2019, 13:09

Another sound poster whose user-name escapes me but think signed Malcolm had a penchant for Northumbrian pipes/folk music and think his sister sang in a Northumberland folk group.
Old 19th October 2019, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
She was a bloody lunatic
Funny, I was just thinking of you when I wrote that quoted post......

JJ.
Old 19th October 2019, 16:06
Department: Deck

I must respond to the slurs above.

My name is John as very many know on this site. Never ever had any inclination to use Jacky on any site.
It’s a name that people used when referring to you in your BF days.

Never likened or linked Seaman 38 to Bill Davies - confirmed by Seaman himself.
See my previous.Quote: following one of Seaman 38s posts you gave a one liner ‘BILL DAVIES?” Un Quote.

Absolute rubbish re para 2. I am just an ordinary member who abhors imposters and deceitful creatures.
Really? I too abhor imposters, deceitful individuals in addition to those who relentlessly pursue and engage in character assassination.

Nothing intriguing or subterfuge about me.
You were well known for this characteristic trait where you personally introduced intrigue and subterfuge where it could not possibly exist.

Yes, I sailed with both Joe Bates and Ronnie Safe - the finest bosun and Master I have had the pleasure to sail with. I have always paid them the greatest respect on these forums and telling never, repeat never "put the knife in their back" as you penned above.
This ‘great respect’ you say you have did not stop you advising on open forum of:
• Joe Bates social indiscretion when Hector went Far East late 60s/early 70s.

• Ronnie Safe’s personal & financial standing on his demise.Never mind the Silver Line extract #135.
Both above individuals have family, relatives or friends and these type of posts are taboo. People just do not need to know these things but then, you have always had issues with boundries.

I consider such comment above to be libellous and offer such as a warning.
Really?

Yes I was a first trip deck boy with Otto - quite uneventful.
If you say so!!

Now I would respectfully ask that you desist making libellous comments forthwith.
Alleged Libelous!

I will ask moderators to monitor these accusations. Nothing behind your back!
That’s Sean, always running around garnering support to cover your tracks.

Old 19th October 2019, 17:21
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1970

This thread is "Members no longer posting." It is not supposed to be an open battle ground. Stop this NOW!
Old 19th October 2019, 19:58

Art6, I have absolutely no idea what post #204 means! Can you explain? I'm still looking up words in my German/English dictionary, to find some nonsense I can post! BTW my G/E dictionary was very handy on a German built ship!
Take it easy, relax,

Best rgds, D

Above mentioned German vessel, was named 'Peter Pan', later named 'St Clair'.

Last edited by duncs; 19th October 2019 at 20:13.. Reason: adding vsl name
Old 19th October 2019, 21:00

This one is purely for R/Os

Achtung!

Alles lookenpeepers! Das navigaten machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springwerk, blowenfusen, schnappen der springwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorkin mit spitzensparken.
Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen, das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watch der blinkenlights.

This was on a Bremen Vulcan built vessel. The radar had a lock on it.
Old 3rd November 2019, 23:38
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
Hi Guys ! Seems quite a few stray from the Thread at times but I persevered
and read all posts. Am glad to see Stan Mayes listed but his excuse is that he
passed on from this crazy world.
A Shout Out to Laker Capt. ... I first met Stan at Tilbury when aboard the Akassa Palm and was amazed to hear from him many years later on this site.
A business friend of mine ( Lloyd's Agent in San Francisco) sailed with Stan as a Cadet; Stan was his Bosun ... Wish I had had that experience but am proud of my four hard years with PSNC 1952 - 1956. As you may recall, I worked Lake Michigan ports of Chicago and Mikwaukee in the mid 1960's. Now 85.
Old 4th November 2019, 01:38
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Adams View Post
Hi Guys !
A Shout Out to Laker Capt. ... I first met Stan at Tilbury when aboard the Akassa Palm and was amazed to hear from him many years later on this site.
It was during my time with Palm line that I met and remember Stan. May have been the Aklassa Palm as I was on this vessel from the maiden voyage for seven months as third mate. A very interesting person and a fund of nautical tales from a true seaman.
As the clock continues to roll on I think the days of us old sailors and the tales we might relate is drawing to a close and all any left will be able to tell is of box boats and tankers or occasionally bulkers. Sad but alas true.
Old 4th November 2019, 03:25
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2010

So true Lakercapt! I corresponded with Stan and found him very interesting and appreciated his passing on information about the convoys during the war. This was interesting to me as both my father and father in law were participants in the convoys but both have passed. I also recall his recollections of how many British sailors died in the convoys; much higher than the loss among US sailors which were higher than any other branch of military service. He would speak about coming home to find that many of his friends had been lost during the war.
I've also worked with Keith (Snowy) on the Jeremiah O'Brien. Always a pleasure.
I also appreciated Lakercapt stories of landing the ship alongside to have the sailor go forward and wake up the bridge tender to raise the bridge. True seamanship without tugs or assistance! You are right that soon the only stories will be of box boats and tankers, yet I also respect today's young pilots taking on turning these HUGE container ships in the Oakland estuary with minimal clearance fore and aft. They could have easily said they were too large to call in San Francisco with the result that the port would have become a small feeder port. They're doing their job too!
Old 4th November 2019, 09:59
Active: 1966 - 1983

I'm sure there will be very little of interest regarding the current crop of "box boats" and tankers.

Soul-less in my opinion.

Another fine poster missing for some time is Patricia Ann T.

BW

J
Old 6th November 2019, 11:42

I am not dead I am sunning myself in spain this winter and not always on wi fi it maybe my last chance to get a bronzie all over bar a little bit that has been redundant anyway,I miss the banter of our shipmate Lamby God take care of him,to our other Man U fans I shall exchange comments when I return end of February meantime good luck to all our brethren and tho early a happy Xmas and new year if I get another chance to click on I will take care of yourselves and families by from a rag arsed a.b..
Old 6th November 2019, 12:23
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
I am not dead I am sunning myself in spain this winter and not always on wi fi it maybe my last chance to get a bronzie all over bar a little bit that has been redundant anyway,I miss the banter of our shipmate Lamby God take care of him,to our other Man U fans I shall exchange comments when I return end of February meantime good luck to all our brethren and tho early a happy Xmas and new year if I get another chance to click on I will take care of yourselves and families by from a rag arsed a.b..
Tom, I hope that you enjoy your holiday in the Sun...................

Cheers Frank
Old 6th November 2019, 21:45

Another poster who has not been seen for a good while is the Canadian member LkSimcoe.
You may remember a few years back he very courageously came out as gay on this site.
He was not elderly, only around 60. Maybe he just found other interests
Old 7th November 2019, 20:02
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Chadburn is now living in Spain I was told.
Old 8th November 2019, 01:34
Active: 1952 - 1989

My location
I have just found out from another site and by his son that Jim Barnes passed away a couple of years ago. Jim made over 3000 posts.
Old 8th November 2019, 01:47
Active: 1957 - 1962

Hummm ,not a relative of New Zealand's favourite Rugby Ref. Wayne Barnes ??
Old 8th November 2019, 04:05

Trotterdotpom , I use to enjoy his input
Old 8th November 2019, 04:31
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Tony Frost - Just learned on another thread that he passed away. Expert on Doxfords.
Rgds.
Dave
Old 8th November 2019, 04:46
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace Slough View Post
So true Lakercapt!
I also appreciated Lakercapt stories of landing the ship alongside to have the sailor go forward and wake up the bridge tender to raise the bridge. True seamanship without tugs or assistance!
I have written extensively about my time as a sailor on another web site. It took many months as I wrote it at few pieces at a time when my memory was working well.. This thread received a great deal of attention and comments eventually having over 11000 hits. I was asked by several viewers to publish these stories but with such a limited market decided against it.
Old 8th November 2019, 09:39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Duncan View Post
Trotterdotpom , I use to enjoy his input
Trotterdotpom was last on line on 31st October 2019.
Old 8th November 2019, 12:31
Active: 1970 - Present

Andy you're a hard taskmaster.
Old 8th November 2019, 15:31
Active: 1973 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
.I am sunning myself in spain this winter..
Winter well down there Tom
Rgds OJ
Old 8th November 2019, 18:15

I fully agreed with Art6 comment, the thread is "Members no longer posting." And this refers exclusively to members of shipsnostalgia who for one reason or another have stopped uploading their photos or comments to the site, then I add a small list of members who once contributed to the site with their photos and comments, as follows:

non descript, Chemical Brother, captkenn, George 1, Tom Haywood, David Wilcockson, vives (he used to post photos of ships in Liverpool)pilot terence (terry music man), jorgeluis, asmyk 01, Dave Edge, Larry Dev, Lancastrian, David Williams, John N MacDonald, Dahl, these are the members whom I have been able to trace up to now.

Personally I have stopped posting my photos and some additional comments on ships, because I have noticed the little interest of members to continue uploading photos, I stopped uploading photos in July of this year.

Regards

Tomi.

Last edited by surveychile; 8th November 2019 at 18:24..
Old 8th November 2019, 18:36
King Ratt

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveychile View Post
I fully agreed with Art6 comment, the thread is "Members no longer posting." And this refers exclusively to members of shipsnostalgia who for one reason or another have stopped uploading their photos or comments to the site, then I add a small list of members who once contributed to the site with their photos and comments, as follows:

non descript, Chemical Brother, captkenn, George 1, Tom Haywood, David Wilcockson, vives (he used to post photos of ships in Liverpool)pilot terence (terry music man), jorgeluis, asmyk 01, Dave Edge, Larry Dev, Lancastrian, David Williams, John N MacDonald, Dahl, these are the members whom I have been able to trace up to now.

Personally I have stopped posting my photos and some additional comments on ships, because I have noticed the little interest of members to continue uploading photos, I stopped uploading photos in July of this year.

Regards

Tomi.
Lancastrian sadly crossed the bar a couple of years ago.

KR