BP female Navigation Cadets - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
09:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP female Navigation Cadets

User Tag List

Old 5th November 2011, 18:24

Wasn't there also an R/O Lucy Knight in the early seventies?

Never met her, but when I sailed with Ch/Eng Rudi Henderson in a later company he was always wittering on about her.
Old 6th November 2011, 23:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

And Sally the Nav Cadet whose family had left Uganda - used to drive the 2/0 scatty !
Old 3rd May 2012, 00:16

Dr Nina Baker is now working in the academic world in Strathclyde, and active in green politics. You can find out more by googling her.
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:34

The Fanny had a female 2/O in the !980's when she was trading into Scapa Flow. The USA navy had a woman captain in the Gulf which was 1 of the supply tankers for the aircraft carriers, I hear she is now a Rear Admiral.
Old 5th May 2012, 01:08
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

OK folks, Graham has finally tracked me down.

I was BP's first female cadet and the UK MN's first girl to go through the ordinary deck cadet (OND) scheme. Sheila Edmunton did the elite BSc entry system with Denholms, which was not at all the same sort of training.

I started applying to shipping companies in about 1969 and it took 3 years of my own efforts, supported by a keen guy in the British Shipping Federation to find a company willing to take a chance on me. The BSF wheeled me round several companies, including ones that took girls the year after I started, but it was Capt Stuart Lefever at BP who took the chance on me. I went through about 10 interviews right up to the Board of BP (literally) and loads of psychometric and medical tests before I was offered a place. Oddly, considering what became normal practice afterwards, I was the only one appointed and in fact I dont believe they were even considering another girl at that time to go with me. So I went through virtually my entire cadet time as the only female on ships or in the college halls of residence.

I went away to sea in August 1972 and left the sea finally in the summer of 1979.

I am thinking of scanning some of my own memorabilia and letting Graham put it up on his website.

nina bake
Old 5th May 2012, 04:53
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by gra_am View Post
Hello All,
My twopenneth on this.
I had the pleasure of sailing with two female cadets. The first was Sarah (second name eludes for the moment) who was from Watford and Vanessa Radley who was from Grantham, Lincolnshire. Both were on the Tay with me and I couldn't extend my 'trip' any longer because the 'owners cabin' was needed by two head office secretaries that had 'won a trip', on a ship.
Someone please support this , otherwise it was a great dream.
Vanessa played table tennis for Lincolnshire, at some level and it was necessary to book the table in advance, she was so popular

Graham
Graham it was no dream, Tay Dec 1977 you were 3M and 3 DC's ( one male H Farhoudi) and the two females, Vanessa Radley and Sara Clarke. Vanessa was 3M on Reliance 5/85. Nothing at present on Sara past DC on Esk in 1978.
Graham
Old 5th May 2012, 05:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogrumpy View Post
We had a female 3/O who was married to a 3/E in the company, he was made redundant in one of the pre 86 culls, he then sailed with us as a seagoing husband.
Checking with the mem. on the date, I was reminded of the 3/E who came to our cabin one evening to ask us not to tell his wife, who we knew, that he was having rumpy pumpy with the 3/O.
Funny old world.
Two Grumpy,

The female 3M was a 1976(?) DC Chris Chee, She married CW Ison a JE or 3E in 1979. A photo in July 1979 Fleet News. I have 'sort of' located her and spouse.
I might be in your neck of the woods this summer.

Graham
Old 5th May 2012, 05:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie View Post
hi graham.
pretty certain i sailed with a female d/c. on british scientist, sometime between july/dec, 1976, cant remember her name.
also female radio cadet br. trent-betweensept 78/jan79.
regards.j.l.s.
So the time I have spent making a Radio Officer's database has some use
The Radio Cadet on the Trent December 1982 was M Liddle, she was a full RO on the Willow in Nov 1980 and probably stayed on in BP longer.

Graham
Old 5th May 2012, 06:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital Sparks View Post
Another name retrieved from increasingly dysfunctional memory

DC Sue Diamond

Still cant remember Josophene's surname though.
Tch Ian

Wye August 1980, DC JM Hodson ( Josephene?) Mary Jane Slaven DC at same time. First trip Radio Cadet, you must have had fun!

Graham
Old 5th May 2012, 06:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannoner View Post
I was in my final year of the R/O's course at the Ulster Polytechnic, Jordanstown (Belfast) doing the DoT Radar Maintenance Cert in 79/80, and I had the pleasure of sharing a house with Norman Paddle and Billy Ireland, two BP Cadets. Norman was from Cork and Billy was from just down the road from the Poly, in North Belfast. There was another cadet who had grown up in Africa but was originally from Co. Meath or thereabouts, his name escapes me. The lads were some craic, and we had the best Thursday night parties on the campus, all courtesy of the lads who were earning a good wage compared to our student grants. I think they were studying for their 2nd mates ticket at the time.
Graham, your post brought back great memories of wild times.
Mick
Mick ,
I have just come across Norman Howard Paddle ex 1976 DC. Went on to sail master but not with BP. Possibly in North Sea operations now.
Graham
Old 5th May 2012, 06:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Al View Post
I,m sure I sailed with a DC called Zoe, on the Shoush about 1979/80
Al,

Her name was Zoe Spencer. Thanks for that Al I did not know she was a female DC. She was one of those whose name did not have a 'Miss' alonside it.

Graham
Old 5th May 2012, 09:34
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Hi Nina ....

I remember you well when you first joined BP, I was senior cadet on the Admiral when you first went to sea - and I can remember how word seemed to go round the fleet that a young 'ginger' (no offence) young lady was now a Cadet and would be going to join a ship somewhere!
You certainly opened the doors in BP for female Cadets.
Were you at at Plymouth Nautical College?? ... seem to recall seeing you there whilst I was doing a resit of part of my Second Mates.

Still, good to see you have been 'sounded out' by Graham - good luck to you.
Old 5th May 2012, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Hi Nina ....

I remember you well when you first joined BP, I was senior cadet on the Admiral when you first went to sea - and I can remember how word seemed to go round the fleet that a young 'ginger' (no offence) young lady was now a Cadet and would be going to join a ship somewhere!
You certainly opened the doors in BP for female Cadets.
Were you at at Plymouth Nautical College?? ... seem to recall seeing you there whilst I was doing a resit of part of my Second Mates.

Still, good to see you have been 'sounded out' by Graham - good luck to you.
Thanks for the welcome, Derek. Yes, ginger is right!! I dont recall meeting you, but I am notoriously useless at remembering either names or faces, so please excuse me if we were in fact shipmates. I wasnt ever on the Admiral myself.

I was at Plymouth School of maritime studies for all my shoreside cadet training and harbour an abiding loathing for the place to this day. Godawful nightlife, rained nonstop, the boys at the college were vile to me - there seemed to be no redeeming features of the experience as far as I can recall.

I am so delighted that Jo Stanley is going to be doing this book - it will be a very important record of a period of transition from the pioneer stage to the routine stage of women moving into formerly male dominated fields of work.

nina
Old 5th May 2012, 17:23
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
No ... I didn't mean you were on the Admiral - I was when you first went to sea, we never actually sailed together.

It was Plymouth where we probably met briefly, possibly when either Brian Elliott or Stuart le Fevre (SaniLav) visited the college and saw all Bp staff.
Old 5th May 2012, 17:27

Ahah, yes the Plymouth link might right. I am pretty sure that Richard Gough was also in Sanilav's team that did the rounds. By no means all companies visited their cadets in that way, so I think we were pretty well cared for by head office.
Old 9th May 2012, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Tch Ian

Wye August 1980, DC JM Hodson ( Josephene?) Mary Jane Slaven DC at same time. First trip Radio Cadet, you must have had fun!

Graham
Nope, that would be Jeanette Hodson, the Josophene I was referring to was a Radio Cadet in the year above me and her name still eludes me. The Wye 1980, a week of heaven in Lome followd by six weeks of hell in Lagos.
Old 15th May 2012, 22:42

Sailed with Mandy Jo Jackson and Karen Mothersole NC's on the Renown in August - December 1979. Never came across them again until made redundant in September 83.
Regards,
Keith trotter
Old 16th May 2012, 04:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty View Post
Sailed with Mandy Jo Jackson and Karen Mothersole NC's on the Renown in August - December 1979. Never came across them again until made redundant in September 83.
Regards,
Keith trotter
Keith,
Thanks for that note , I had no idea MJ Jackson was a female NC. Are you sure Karen Mothersole was on the Renown Aug/Dec 1979? She does not show up in any Ships Movements ( Renown) for those months. You and MJJ do, but she had left by 10th Oct 1979, you are gone by 10th Dec.

I'll send you a SN email

Graham
Old 8th June 2012, 22:42
Active: 1972 - 1982

Sorry its taken so long to reply. I remember Hussain as he was the cadet on my watch, I took to learning Persian to get the tank numbers right. Nice lad, no idea, probably a pilot at Bandar ......!. Sarah was a great cadet and probably went much further but I guess in cargo because her boyfriend was there.
Vanessa was a first trip cadet who joined in Swansea, light ship, and looked up the gangway after struggling down the short jetty, eyes hoping for help.
Some Junior Engineer has a lovely wife.
Go on Hussain help her.
Bloody hell!
I'll do it
Which cabin do you want?
Deck Cadets I suppose.
(All those cartoons of hearts fluttering) {that's me}
I fell in love with Vanessa but being young I thought it was lust.

I managed to lose the ship in Hamburg (how many petroleum havens) and she got told off for being late on watch.

Sorry Vanessa, it was all my fault.
Nice to see Vanessa progresses despite me
Old 25th July 2012, 11:07
Active: 1980 - Present

hI

I sailed with several during my time as a cadet. I sailed with Sylvia the R/O she must have been one of the first she was much older than me. I sailled with 4 or 5 Deck Cadets but I can't recall all thier names. None were at collage at the same time as I was. I expect most packed it in for the same reason most guys do. Fammily and life at home. It was great while I was young but the fun wore off as I got older. I sail with lots of women today and ocasionaly am the only guy on deck with an all female deck crew. Times Change. I have never sailed with a female Master but a couple of my Female Mates have now started working as Master. There are a few more on the way. In all cases it took a first to blase the trail. to what is now relativly common. My own line of work lends its self better to familly life as I now run a Ferry.
Old 25th July 2012, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
hI

I sailed with several during my time as a cadet. I sailed with Sylvia the R/O she must have been one of the first she was much older than me. I sailled with 4 or 5 Deck Cadets but I can't recall all thier names. None were at collage at the same time as I was. I expect most packed it in for the same reason most guys do. Fammily and life at home. It was great while I was young but the fun wore off as I got older. I sail with lots of women today and ocasionaly am the only guy on deck with an all female deck crew. Times Change. I have never sailed with a female Master but a couple of my Female Mates have now started working as Master. There are a few more on the way. In all cases it took a first to blase the trail. to what is now relativly common. My own line of work lends its self better to familly life as I now run a Ferry.
If you can give me some details of the Ships you sailed on it is highly likely I can jog your memory regarding the femaale Nav cadets names

Ah, BC ferries eh, I was on the Victoria/Vancouver route last weekend though my usual trip is Departure bay/Vancouver

Graham
Old 29th July 2012, 22:41
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

There was a tale I heard about a lady 2/0 who, when acting for the mate one morning was giving a bosun/CPO his orders for the day and was obviously not getting through, came out with the statement "when I give you an instruction Mr ....... please look at my epaulettes and not at my chest"
Happy days !
Old 9th November 2012, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Ken,

Admiral Dec 1974 ,NC Miss GE Hardy,

Ring any Bells?

There were 3 GP boys !!!

Graham
I sailed as a J/E on the British Robin with a DC called Gail Hardy. Early 1975, I think. She had her leg pulled by us but I recalled it was all good natured. Not sure what the Indian crew made of her. I was a "first tripper" so I was copping my fair share of ribbing and trying to keep my head down. The 4/E uttered those classic words "Kiss me Hardy". Not the most original of jokes but I bet she had heard that once or twice. I remember her as pleasant and hard working.
Old 9th May 2013, 18:06

xieriftips entry

Fm Lucy Knight.

I was employed with Shell Tankers as an R/O not B.P. before l joined CP Ships as an ER/O. I did sail with the C/E you were talking about with C.P. I believe he worked for B.P. before C.P. Are you sure it was me he was talking about and not 'Doxi Diesel' the engineers favourite girl, who lived in the engine room. That sounds more likely.

Lucy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xieriftips View Post
Wasn't there also an R/O Lucy Knight in the early seventies?

Never met her, but when I sailed with Ch/Eng Rudi Henderson in a later company he was always wittering on about her.
Old 10th June 2013, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
OK folks, Graham has finally tracked me down.

I was BP's first female cadet and the UK MN's first girl to go through the ordinary deck cadet (OND) scheme. Sheila Edmunton did the elite BSc entry system with Denholms, which was not at all the same sort of training.

I started applying to shipping companies in about 1969 and it took 3 years of my own efforts, supported by a keen guy in the British Shipping Federation to find a company willing to take a chance on me. The BSF wheeled me round several companies, including ones that took girls the year after I started, but it was Capt Stuart Lefever at BP who took the chance on me. I went through about 10 interviews right up to the Board of BP (literally) and loads of psychometric and medical tests before I was offered a place. Oddly, considering what became normal practice afterwards, I was the only one appointed and in fact I dont believe they were even considering another girl at that time to go with me. So I went through virtually my entire cadet time as the only female on ships or in the college halls of residence.

I went away to sea in August 1972 and left the sea finally in the summer of 1979.

I am thinking of scanning some of my own memorabilia and letting Graham put it up on his website.

nina bake
Hi Nina,
I sailed with you and Vanessa for a fortnight on the "Osprey". We had a happy trip up to the North Cape and back. As I near my retirement, I am sitting with another ginger headed deck cadet just setting out on her seagoing adventure. Rhiannon and I are speculating where it will all end up. Perhaps a doctorate, and a "Green" Councillor in Glasgow!
Regards,

Ted