IoG - Ships Nostalgia
17:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

IoG

User Tag List

Old 30th October 2019, 13:16

IoG

Back in the sixties, I always promised myself that I'd visit Grain again mainly because I wanted to live there at one time.
Finally made the trip this a.m., so glad I didn't settle there. Couldn't find the Cat and Cracker and most of the signs that there was once a major refinery there have also vanished.
Desolate is the word that springs to mind; worse than my home town of Abertillery in the Welsh valleys and that is the armpit of Wales.
Worst of all the lovely roads that I promised myself I'd thrash the old Lotus up and down are now covered by literally double figures of average speed recognition cameras so I had to pootle at under 64 klix. It's probably just as well I sold the Lotus.
Ho Hum. Bucket list is now one item shorter.
Old 30th October 2019, 18:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

Always was the back of beyond so nothing has changed !!
Old 30th October 2019, 20:56

not quite? I do not know the modern history: However is that war time mechant vessel, deliberately sunk in the medway channel in wwi because she was on fire/bombed and full of explosives? Is still in position, and a danger, as she was to visiting navigating vessels in and out of the IOG all those years ago.
Any later news???
Old 30th October 2019, 21:04
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

Still there waiting for Boris to build the new London Airport with Richard Montgomery sitting in the middle of the runway !
Old 30th October 2019, 21:53
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks69 View Post
Still there waiting for Boris to build the new London Airport with Richard Montgomery sitting in the middle of the runway !
You can get a boat tour out to the Richard Montgomery on the "Spirit of Sheppey" from the Isle of Sheppey in the summer. They also run out to the old Thames anti-aircraft forts.

I went back to IOG on a Tug about 5 years ago and they were busy bringing in granite to use for various construction projects up in London. I believe that the granite comes on a big bulker from the huge Glensanda quarry, across from Oban on the Scottish west coast.

Their latest project is stone and aggregate for the massive Thames Tideway tunnel , which will run under the Thames and carry all the sewage down to the treatment works. It is keeping the local Tug companies happy and the crews well busy. <smile>

Regards, Mike
Old 30th October 2019, 21:56

There was talk of cutting it up some years back don't think anything came of it.
Old 30th October 2019, 23:57
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

Is there not an LNG terminal there now ?
Old 31st October 2019, 12:55

My location
If Abertillery is the Armpit of Wales, then Grain could be classed the Rectum of England.
The Cat & Cracker was demolished and replaced by housing in the 1980s, around the same time as the refinery. The Thamesport Container Terminal built on part of the refinery site is now a shadow of its former self since all the major container lines moved away. The large, oil-fired power station has been demolished. There is still a Foster Yeoman aggregates terminal, a two-berth LNG terminal, a gas-fired power station and an oil berth for a pipeline pumping terminal for aviation fuel.
Meanwhile RICHARD MONTOMERY still lies adjacent the navigation channel, full of bombs
Old 31st October 2019, 23:56
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
If Abertillery is the Armpit of Wales, then Grain could be classed the Rectum of England.
The Cat & Cracker was demolished and replaced by housing in the 1980s, around the same time as the refinery. The Thamesport Container Terminal built on part of the refinery site is now a shadow of its former self since all the major container lines moved away. The large, oil-fired power station has been demolished. There is still a Foster Yeoman aggregates terminal, a two-berth LNG terminal, a gas-fired power station and an oil berth for a pipeline pumping terminal for aviation fuel.
Meanwhile RICHARD MONTOMERY still lies adjacent the navigation channel, full of bombs
If an LNG tanker explodes, It will make a bigger bang than the Richard Montgomery , ever could have !
Old 2nd November 2019, 20:27
Active: 1971 - 1986

If you view the area using Google Earth, you can select Historical Imagery going back to 1940. Fascinating to see the changes over the years through the times I knew IoG (1971-1982) to what is there now.
Old 8th November 2019, 00:43

Isle of Grain

I was a BP nav apprentice 1956/60 and regularly called at IOG.

My memories are of hauling massive 6 inch mooring wires covered in yellow mud from the bottom off the wharf in howling winter gales - not fun.

in 1957/58 we were doing slow speed runs from IOG to Mena al Ahmadi via South Africa - I can remember a period of 7 - 1/2 months only stepping ashore to read the draft fore and aft - no shore excursions at either end of these voyages.

I think in those days the wharf at IOG could take around 10 tankers at a time.

A very bleak spot indeed.