Old Blue Flue Mates - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
16:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Old Blue Flue Mates

User Tag List

Old 8th November 2007, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddarnibbles View Post
Yes, I remember Barry. He was the senior middy on my first trip (on Dolius, Captain Punchard.).We left Bidston Dock at midnight on a cold November night exactly 49 years ago. He was a dab hand at the Daily Telegraph crossword. Not surprised he made it to a command with Blue Flue, he had all the required qualities. The rest of the halfdeck comprised Bill Payne from Cawsand,Plymouth,Peter Pallot from Jersey and yours truly.
Now you have me thinking. It was 58/59 when I sailed with him but, I was never in the 'Dolius' although I sailed with Punchard (white gloves for inspection - Peggy's nightmare)) What on earth were you doing in the Bidston Dock. I heard they went up there in the mid 60s whilst Vittoria Dock was being renovated. As for making it to command he is named as such in that Blue Funnel Associations monthly newsletter (which I get of an old 'China ' boat Master.
Always remember Barry as being extremely polite and shy and in this respect I too was surprised to hear he stayed long enough for command.
I last met Barry in Byrom Street in late 68 I was impoverished after just 18 months ashore and completed Extra's. He was Senior Second Mates on a Super 'P'. No way he would ever relinquish the Blue Funnel dream. I joined Universe Tankers a few weeks later. Barry was a true gentleman. I wish him well whatever he is doing. I've just thought of the name Mick Lynskey remember him.
Old 9th November 2007, 16:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1958 - 1968

[QUOTE=Bill Davies;162023]Now you have me thinking. It was 58/59 when I sailed with him but, I was never in the 'Dolius' although I sailed with Punchard (white gloves for inspection - Peggy's nightmare)) What on earth were you doing in the Bidston Dock. I heard they went up there in the mid 60s whilst Vittoria Dock was being renovated.

Well, one can hardly forget one's first trip.....but I could be wrong.
I'm quite sure it was Bidston; leastwise, it was one hell of a long night before we finally got out into the Mersey ; being on stations on the poop all the time from about 2300 to gone 0600 (and not really knowing what was going on !!). That's why I remember it so well.
I also remember Barry asking me when we were called after a kip, 'Okay Nibbles, where do you think we are now?' I replied, ' Somewhere in the Med '??. Barry smirked, politely , and said, 'No, Cardigan Bay, just passing Aberporth' . So much for my first attempt at a D.R. !!!!!
Old 21st December 2007, 04:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddarnibbles View Post
The rest of the halfdeck comprised Bill Payne from Cawsand,Plymouth,Peter Pallot from Jersey and yours truly.
I remember Pallot, he was a voyage senior to me in Diomed.

Went ashore in Penang & went to the Snake Temple where he bought a 10 foot python. We fed it on whole ox kidneys on the way home. At Liverpool the taxis refused to take Pallot and his struggling sack, last I saw of him he was trying to persuade a bus conductor to allow it under the stairs.
Old 18th January 2008, 01:14

Diomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolius View Post
Tony Ablett and I were middies on the Diomed voy 4 & 5, 1957/58. I haven't seen or heard of him since. He was pretty handy with a camera and would have some good photos.
Am trying to trace the history of a bell that is ex Diomed [1921 -52] that was presented to the Flying Angel Club - Mission to Seamen [as it was then] in Melbourne. It is beautiful and well preserved but have no idea why it is there and who presented it etc. Can you help please? or suggest who might?
See photo
Alan Knott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diomed Bell.jpg (56.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by K urgess; 18th January 2008 at 13:51.. Reason: email address removed as per site policy
Old 18th January 2008, 01:24

My location
not b.f. myself.............

but does anyone remember arthur white........ longtime r/o with blue flue?

best regards to all alfred holt lads.............

sparkie 2182 ( ex cunard....... sorry....... )
Old 20th January 2008, 12:39

No Trev. his name was albert Farquar. thats on the back of the football team photo
Old 20th January 2008, 13:03

Does the name LuLu Watson ring any bell??
Old 20th January 2008, 21:12

I sailed with Barry Cushman a couple of times, and as has been said he's a really nice bloke!
Old 21st January 2008, 09:21

Mike Lynskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
Now you have me thinking. It was 58/59 when I sailed with him but, I was never in the 'Dolius' although I sailed with Punchard (white gloves for inspection - Peggy's nightmare)) What on earth were you doing in the Bidston Dock. I heard they went up there in the mid 60s whilst Vittoria Dock was being renovated. As for making it to command he is named as such in that Blue Funnel Associations monthly newsletter (which I get of an old 'China ' boat Master.
Always remember Barry as being extremely polite and shy and in this respect I too was surprised to hear he stayed long enough for command.
I last met Barry in Byrom Street in late 68 I was impoverished after just 18 months ashore and completed Extra's. He was Senior Second Mates on a Super 'P'. No way he would ever relinquish the Blue Funnel dream. I joined Universe Tankers a few weeks later. Barry was a true gentleman. I wish him well whatever he is doing. I've just thought of the name Mick Lynskey remember him.
I seem to remember that Mike was Asst to Dick Hutson at "Aulis". A very pleasant chap and every inch a BF Gentleman. Jim Turner was the other Asst Warden. He ended up as Marine Personel Manager at Kuwait Shipping.
Old 23rd January 2008, 17:52

Only knew Mike Lynskey from College days in Liverpool and did not sail with him. I was up for First Mates when he for Second Mates and we we travelled together each day on the train. He to Hoylake and me to West Kirby. Very serious, and a 'Career China Boat Man'.

Brgds

Bill
Old 30th January 2008, 17:35

Willie Wood

Sailed with him on Calchas in 1973. A really nice chap who did all sorts of interesting things. He was the very devil at Scrabble and was a consistant winner. He also caught a small shark whilst we were at anchor in one of the Java ports. I think I may still have a picture of him posing with the said fish! I'll try and look it out.
Happy days
Old 30th January 2008, 19:59

Did anyone sail with Capt Pettigrew, a Wallasey man. Used to take a drink in the Magazines or Pilot Boat House.
Old 1st February 2008, 14:35

Smile

Quote:
Only knew Mike Lynskey from College days in Liverpool and did not sail with him. I was up for First Mates when he for Second Mates and we we travelled together each day on the train. He to Hoylake and me to West Kirby. Very serious, and a 'Career China Boat Man'.

Brgds

Bill
HI Bill, Mike Lynskey is alive and well and lives on Angelsey.
I spoke to him last night and am trying to get him to join the site
Regards Peter.
Old 1st February 2008, 22:18

My location
Quote:
Did anyone sail with Capt Pettigrew, a Wallasey man. Used to take a drink in the Magazines or Pilot Boat House.
Sailed with him on the "Ajax" June to September 1965. Seemed to lock himself away most of the time and gave the middies a hell of a time.
Old 1st February 2008, 22:43

Graham,
There was probably a good reason for that as he had a son Ian who was a Middy in the company.

Brgds

Bill
Old 1st February 2008, 23:17

My location
Quote:
Graham,
There was probably a good reason for that as he had a son Ian who was a Middy in the company.

Brgds

Bill
Could explain a hell of a lot Bill, he did`nt have much time for sick jnr engineers either, as I found out to my peril.

Regards, Gra.
Old 5th March 2008, 14:28

Jimmy Geddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBenarty View Post
Does anyone remember George or Willie Wood and Jim Geddie from the Buckie area
Hi There,

Just to let you know that Jimmy Geddie and I were room mates on the cadet ship " Diomed" for two voyages Nov. 57 to July 58. Work hard, play hard times. Great voyages. Jimmy and I sank the odd beer or twelve together with the other guys on shore leave. He came from the village of Findhorn and had been a pupil at Gordonstoun. Wonder where he is now, retired like me for sure.

Best regards

George Hogg
Old 5th March 2008, 15:31

Who is Dolius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolius View Post
Willie Wood was second mate of the Pyrrhus, when I was the fourth mate, in 1960.
Jim Geddie and I were middies together on Diomed voy 4 & 5, in 1957/58
We swapped e mails a couple of years ago, he was on Friends Reunited, but have since lost touch.
Regards
Dolius
Hi Dolius, George Hogg here. Jimmy Geddie and I were room Mates on Diomed on the voyages you mention, so who are you? Also noted somebody asking about Tony Ablet and he was with us on voyage 4 (a second tripper).

Best Regards
Old 16th March 2008, 22:24

My location
Does anyone remember a Blue Flue guy they called "Gorgeous George". Was only in his presence once and did not know his surname,but what a charactor. Think he was an Engineer.
Regards, Gra.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:43

Graham,
If you were in his presence and could not work out what he was I would say he was definitely an Engineer!
All the best
Dave
Old 17th March 2008, 13:11

Smile The Ghoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
The bosun on the Eurypylus (voyage #1, 1947-48) ) - ex-Samsette - was a tall sinewey man from southern England. He had a face that made Jack Pallance look positively angelic, and naturally, he was call The Ghoul. Not to his face, mind. He was a real old-time sailor, though; a master of his trade.

Could this be the same bosun that graced the decks of Pyrrhus?
I sailed with the Ghoul on the Jason, coasting. He came up to join her in Glasgow, as emergency replacement for Jock Sutherland who had been found floating face down in Gladstone Dock on the night we sailed.
The Ghoul wasn't as bad as his reputation, and he was certainly a good Bosun.
He made a fleeting appearance in a movie, "The Countess From Hong Kong", part of which was filmed on board a Bluey, and the Ghoul was the gangway man.
Old 17th March 2008, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
I sailed with the Ghoul on the Jason, coasting. He came up to join her in Glasgow, as emergency replacement for Jock Sutherland who had been found floating face down in Gladstone Dock on the night we sailed.
The Ghoul wasn't as bad as his reputation, and he was certainly a good Bosun.
He made a fleeting appearance in a movie, "The Countess From Hong Kong", part of which was filmed on board a Bluey, and the Ghoul was the gangway man.
I was up in Shieldhall around 68 (Second Mate of a King Boat) when one of the Welsh ABs on a Bluey acroos the dock fell between the ship and the quay. Not a good place for BF men!
Old 17th March 2008, 16:22

Hi Graham,

I remember "Gorgeous George". His name was G.W.B.C. Easton. He was a Second Engineer around the mid sixties. I sailed with him but cant remember ship.
He was a class surveyor when I was in the DOT around late eighties.
His style of dress was reminicent of a country gentleman and he also had a fine thrist as I recall.

regards
jimmys
Old 17th March 2008, 20:07

Pat,
I never sailed with Jock Sutherland but heard good things about him.
The 'Ghoul'! Would that be Harry Evans??. Used to wear Gauntlets.
Brgds
Bill
Old 17th March 2008, 21:14

Quote:
Pat,
I never sailed with Jock Sutherland but heard good things about him.
The 'Ghoul'! Would that be Harry Evans??. Used to wear Gauntlets.
Brgds
Bill
Jock Sutherland, Bill, was a great little character, he appeared to be exclusively a home trade bosun when I sailed with him, first as deck boy on the Peleus and after that, Hector, Nestor, Theseus, and back to the Peleus again. I was JOS by then, and knew him quite well. he used to send me ashore in Glasgow every morning after smoko to get him a half bottle of Bells.
We joined the Jason in Gladstone dock one morning, she was sailing at midnight, so after we had everything squared away, it was all hands up to the Caradoc.
Jock was missing when we went on standby, and then the tug aft spotted him in the dock.
He must have slipped on the quayside coming back to the ship,
Everyone was gutted, he was a very popular bosun.

Yes, Harry Evans, AKA The Ghoul. Never had much to say, but was a good seaman.I saw him put a splice in a wire lifeboat fall, and not many could do that.
Regards,
Pat