Moor Line ships - Ships Nostalgia
07:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Moor Line ships

User Tag List

Old 20th November 2006, 15:00

My location
Moor Line ships

I wonder if any members have photographs of Moor Line vessels, I would like to get some of the Exmoor, Hazelmoor and Jedmoor in particular. I have seen some contempory photos with the Anchor line livery, but would like to see them with the blue "R". These are the ships I served my apprentiship on between 1961 and 1964. Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Tony
Old 20th November 2006, 15:16

Hi Tony

Sorry can't help but hang on in there, there must be some somewhere

Regards

NigelC
Old 20th November 2006, 16:25
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Cool

Tonypad,

Afternoon, attached one of Hazelmoor. Have not been able to find the other two yet. I no doubt someone will come up with them for you.
Regards
Hawkey01

Last edited by hawkey01; 14th December 2009 at 12:31..
Old 20th November 2006, 16:44
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985

My location
there's another of Hazelmoor at:

http://www.allatsea.cx/images/ships/hazelmoor.jpg

what appears to be the same,differently attributed pic, is at:

http://www.mowbars.plus.com/Pictures/hazelmore.html

Last edited by john shaw; 20th November 2006 at 16:48..
Old 20th November 2006, 17:09
Super Moderator

My location
Afternoon John,
there are some subtle differences in the pictures. One is hull and funnel colours. Also there seems to have been some changes to the monkeyisland.
Would be interesting to find out when each had been taken and when hull/funnel colours changed. Thought at first glances they were different ships.
Regards
Hawkey01
Old 20th November 2006, 17:25
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985

My location
no--I think you mistake my post-- I mean that the pics at both links I posted appear identical-- not that they are the same as the one you posted

even my failing eyes can differentiate black hull/light funnel from light hull/dark funnel!!
Old 20th November 2006, 19:23
Super Moderator

My location
Sorry John I meant the differences between the one I posted and the one you posted.
Hawkey01
Old 20th November 2006, 23:51

My location
Tony,

There are 8 photos of Moor Line ships in the "Ex Merchant Seamans Pictorial Journal" collection as below. We hope to be able to make these available before too long.

Caxton
Cragmoor
Eastmoor
Hazelmoor
Kelsomoor
Kirriemoor
Northmoor
Orangemoor

Brian
Old 21st November 2006, 10:19

My location
Moor Line ships

Hello to all members who posted replies, thankyou very much for taking the time to provide the photos and the interesting range of comments, I had already seen the photos of the Hazelmoor, all of which are in her "after life livery". I will look forward to the photos mentioned by Benjidog. Thanks again, cheers from Tony in sunny Perth, Western Australia.
Old 22nd November 2006, 16:19

Hi Tony

See, I told you to keep on in there. Just keep the thread floating!

Regards

NigelC
Old 22nd November 2006, 17:11
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy Tony,
Found the JEDMOOR in the old shoe-box[still loaded with piccies]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jedmoor1958-c (Medium).jpg (80.2 KB, 220 views)
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 22nd November 2006, 22:47

My location
Hi Tony,

There is a picture of the Exmoor in my gallery but it will probably be a later model than the one you sailed on.I to served my cadetship with Anchor line 1975-1979 and sailed on the Hazelmoor on my second trip, I can remember I spent part of the voyage in the pilots cabin and then got downgraded to the forward port side cabin in the engineers accomm complete with the steam winch right out side my window. I also shared my bunk with silverfish ( some kind of insects) However still a happy ship.
Cheers
Firey
Old 23rd November 2006, 00:42

My location
I can remember the Kirriemoor being launched from JL Thompsons in Sunderland, I cant remember the year but I think she hit Corporation quay on the opposite bank.
Regards,
Steve.
Old 23rd November 2006, 13:54

My location
Moor Line

Thanks for the futher comments on my request, in particulat thanks Ruud for the photo of the Jedmoor in the Moor Line colours, and also to Firey for the comments about life on the Hazelmoor ;as apprentices we occupied the accomodation on the port side of the boat deck, if my memory serves me there were three or four single cabins, a study and bathroom area, the passage way had windows that looked into the engine room, the engineers accomodation was on the starboard side. The older Exmoor had the apprentice accomodation abaft the funnel in its own deckhouse, no shelter in bad weather when going to the dining room or going on watch, still they were happy days, wouldn't have missed it for the world. Regards to all readers and writers, Tony
Old 16th September 2007, 17:13

Hello there,
This is my first attempt at a message here.Hope it works.
Hazelmoor was my first ship and I joined her Jan 1965.They were happy days.
What happened her?
Regards and best wishes,
a.wallace
Old 21st September 2007, 05:00

Moor ships

Hi People, My dad was in a Moor ship in WW2, he was a mate. This is the Innismoor with the "R". I can get some details (not much) on it as I have my Dads papers. I've been trying to track what convoys he was in. I'm in Australia so its a bit difficult, great site!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg innismoor.jpg (39.7 KB, 121 views)
Old 24th September 2007, 21:06

Moor Line

My first ship was the Hazelmoor, joined her as 5th Engineer in Birkenhead January 1957 and spent two years on her. Enjoyed ever moment(well nearly ever moment)
Remember accommodation very well, those days Cadets accomm. was considered very good, lot of local tyneside cadets on board while I was there.
2nd Eng. was Dickie Tough, regretably now deceased, great guy, dispensation second but knew the ropes and I learned a lot from him. However when on the 4-8 watch with him he was the most miserable guy out of sleep I ever met.!!!
Went on to sail on Brockleymoor, Glenmoor, Exmoor, Kirremoor(new from Hawthorn Lesile) then Jedmoor, Linkmoor, ended up as 2nd Eng. Met up with some of the greatest guys you could hope for, still keep in touch with quite a few.
I left to get more experience with other main engines and ship types however remember my days with Moor Line with fond memories.
Old 19th April 2009, 17:25

moor line

Any further progress on these photos?
I am trying to find a photo of the Kirriemoor the 1960 version, sold to Pakistan in 1965. I sailed on her in the early '60s as 3rd mate. She was built in 1960.
Many thanks
Michael Ayres

There are 8 photos of Moor Line ships in the "Ex Merchant Seamans Pictorial Journal" collection as below. We hope to be able to make these available before too long.

Caxton
Cragmoor
Eastmoor
Hazelmoor
Kelsomoor
Kirriemoor
Northmoor
Orangemoor

Brian[/QUOTE]
Old 21st April 2009, 13:10
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Active: 1970 - 1978

Hi Tony ...

I seem to remember there was a Runciman's Moor Line history published a few years ago, but I can't remember by whom or when. Have you seen that ? I can't find it on eBay or Abe Books, but I did find a couple of pics of HAZELMOOR (1953) on ebay, item Numbers : 220314585777 & 290276308905, both grey hull and black (Anchor line ?) funnel.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers

Andy
Old 21st April 2009, 13:37

funnel

on the hazelmoor,aug 1968 to feb.1969 runcimans.sure the funnel white with a blue R.we ran far east and oz. 7 month.[commie china].

Last edited by trucker; 21st April 2009 at 13:44..
Old 21st April 2009, 17:39
danube4

My location
\orangemoor. Northmoor. Hazelmoor. Exmoor. in photoship. White with R funnel.

Barney.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:49
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
Sailed in the Jedmoor 1961 did a short five month trip, which was short for Runcimans in those days. lovely ship Signed on in Manchester, good crew.
All the ports we loaded or discharged were slow jobs buckets and shovels, took six weeks to load Maize in East london due to the Rains.
Catering Boy on 15 pounds seven shillings and six pence per month, shilling an hour overtime.
We made good use of the Seamans Missions, on that money we had to, but some bloody good fun.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:27

Exmoor

[QUOTE=firey;90548]Hi Tony,
Hi Firey, sailed on the Exmoor as 2nd Cook and Baker from 23/04/76 to 25/01/77 Paid off in Bandar Shahpour Iran. Started the trip o.k. joined in Immingham went to Hamburg Bremmen Haven Rotterdam then to Cape town Port Elizabeth and Durban then on to Antwerp were i was given the chance to pay off but decided to do another trip were we were told that we would be loading Cement in Gdansk and Gdynia for world wide so took ther chance worst mistake i ever made as we went to Iran and dropped anchor for about 6 months, i was lucky as i got of there, the Officers had to stay on til the ship arrived back in the U.K.
One thing about the trip it taughtb me to be a good Cook as we lived on rations that we purchased from the Iranians and what we could purchase off other ships that were at anchor there.
do you happen to know anyone who sailed on her then? i do notb think they would forget the trip!!! cheers Peter Bassham.
Old 28th July 2009, 10:55

Hello

Just signed up to the forum.

I may be high jacking this thread a bit but it's still sort of relevant.

My Granddad was a captain on vessels for Moorline during the 40's 50's and maybe 60's.

He captained vessels during the war in the merchant navy and then afterwards.

His Surname is Coaster

Is there anyway I can find out what vessels he was on? and if there are any pictures of the ships.

I could find out through the family but would take allot of digging!!!.

Just wondering if anyone knows something

Thanks

Chris
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:15

My location
Thumbs up

Sailed in the 1960 Kirriemoor on maiden voyage as 2nd Sparks (my first trip) ..

Canaries for bunkers .. Argentina for grain for far east (Went aground on the English Bank on approach to River Plate) .. Chartered to Gold Star .. mixed cargoes to Singapore, South Africa & West Africa .. then to Brazil for Grain for Korea .. Mixed cargo for similar trip and back to pay off in Immingham ..

Got loads of photos, but all on slide and haven't put them on the computer yet .. watch this space, but don't hold your breath