Brunei Bay Lay Up - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
11:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Brunei Bay Lay Up

User Tag List

Old 18th March 2009, 22:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1977 - 1988

Cool Trident and Norness at Brunei

Hi there! I went out to Brunei as 3/O in August 1985 expecting to be there for four months. The Trident was mother ship at that time. Had a fantastic time out there . I was in team 4 which was responsible for the ESSO OKINAWA/ESSO KAGOSHIMA/RUDOLPH PETERSON (CHEVRON)/ALEXANDER S. ONASSIS (OLYMPIC)/CHAMBORD(FRENCH BP)/ AND UST ATLANTIC.Great days out but so spooky in the accommodation doing dehumidifying etc. I remember the workboats and speedboats were all named after cats-purdie,felix,sylvester,top cat,cheetah,jaguar and panther.
A great place to be and a great social life too- 9-5; sat afternoon off for footie matches, bbq's at the local beach on sundays. somehow too good to be true and in October quite a few of us were transferred over to the Norness for re-activation- so actually got to sail out of Brunei Bay. Went to Singapore for a very pleasant four week drydock/repair and then paid off when the ship got to the Gulf. All in all - one of my best trips..
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:54
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1986

Ah "The Black Pig", what a wonderful ship the Cedros wasn't. She was one of mine for a period. The chief engineer (not BP) that laid her up drained all water tanks to bilge overflowing the turbine sump sounding pipe so that when the lub oil pumps ran he pumped water all round the turbine and gearbox bearings and gearing. The bilges had been pumped, oil renewed, at which point I arrived and we continued cleaning gearing nozzles, bearings etc for days. She had been on charter to Shell for 25 years from the original oil crisis having done one cargo of salt from Mexico to Japan. She was therefore finishing her charter in layup. Definately a ship where you only walked on the deck / hatchs etc as the grating had all rusted away.
Great place ashore as well as on the Gull. I lived in the Bishops house, catering done in the old radio station/house.
Arthur Salmon was C/E and Sainty the old man.
Old 25th May 2009, 19:48

Lay up Brunei

Good Day gents I am present still serving with BP and last year I was base manager for BP Shipcare at present they have a total of 35 ships layed up
I also remeber the days we had on the island which is now a nature reserve but still you can visit and have a BBQ
the work boats which there were five of only one still remains Felix, Purdey I had to sadly scrap due to many holes and patches on the hull I will try and post some pics when I locate them

Roger
Old 26th May 2009, 09:55

To say the lay up unit has had a fraught few years is an understatement what with the embezzlement, fraud and of course the near fatal stabbing of a Chief Engineer
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 26th May 2009, 18:07
Active: 1956 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
To say the lay up unit has had a fraught few years is an understatement what with the embezzlement, fraud and of course the near fatal stabbing of a Chief Engineer
I was the Chief Engineer on the Gull four times between 75 and 77 and then served as the Lay Up Superintendent through 78 before transferring to Products Fleet and then the US. I have no clue as to any of the items you refer to but am very interested to learn more details. Near fatal stabbing of C/Eng? Wow! In the early days it was a very happy place to be. I did here an Apprentice (I beileve) was drowned on a run ashore - anyone else heard that?
Thanks - Roger
Old 26th May 2009, 19:10
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefCharles View Post
I was the Chief Engineer on the Gull four times between 75 and 77 and then served as the Lay Up Superintendent through 78 before transferring to Products Fleet and then the US. I have no clue as to any of the items you refer to but am very interested to learn more details. Near fatal stabbing of C/Eng? Wow! In the early days it was a very happy place to be. I did here an Apprentice (I beileve) was drowned on a run ashore - anyone else heard that?
Thanks - Roger
Hi Roger

The manager was A.C. ex1958 E/A from Bolton Tech, It happened in 2002, he was medivaced to Singapore and spent 10 weeks in Hospital, is fully recovered and retired. I never did get from him the precise circumstances.

Never heard anything about an apprentice.

Graham
Old 26th May 2009, 19:18

you are right a young geordie lad drowned in 1974 his grave is in Labuan and is tended to by shipcare and a guy called marcel deleaga a french man from a company called 2MC
never did understan why his parenta did not want to take him home?????

Last edited by rog37; 26th May 2009 at 19:21..
Old 26th May 2009, 22:30
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
I've been trying to attach a picture of the Gull approaching the Resource when she was laid up in July 1975, onto this thread. The picture also gives an idea of the scale.
If you want to use the picture, it's available from my pictures.
Dickyboy
Old 26th May 2009, 22:32

My location
You have to use the green "Post Reply" button in order to add pictures to your post, Dickyboy.
Once you click on it you will find a button marked "manage attachments" below the main text entry window.
Cheers
Kris
Old 27th May 2009, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Hi Roger

The manager was A.C. ex1958 E/A from Bolton Tech, It happened in 2002, he was medivaced to Singapore and spent 10 weeks in Hospital, is fully recovered and retired. I never did get from him the precise circumstances.

Never heard anything about an apprentice.

Graham
Thats the fella - good guy. He was asked to go out after the previous incumbent was caught with his fingers in just about everything except actually looking after the vessels. To the best of my knowledge he was stabbed by a local boatman on his first day!!!!!
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 27th May 2009, 14:33

My location
Thumbs up A Resource for the Gull

I joined the British Resource in Nagasaki on 30/07/1975. A brand new ship going directly to layup.
We had about a week in Nagasaki, with some good chances to have a look around the place.
We sailed out of Nagasaki straight into the teeth of a typhoon and slow steamed down to Brunei Bay and took a couple of weeks to lay her up.
I believe the Resource was the first BP tanker in Brunei Bay, or the first to be laid up directly from the builders. Mitsubishi. The dehumidifying process had to be learned as we went along, and everything, including tanks was done. The funnel was capped as well.
We paid off on 03/09/1975. I, and others flew home, but as I recall some returned to Nagasaki to pick up another one. I might be wrong on that though.
I don't recall the Gull coming alongside, but she was about, and we knew she was there to tend to the laid up ships. I think the idea was for her to put personnel on board the laid up vessels to re dehumidify when required.
I do recall how small the Gull looked though.
Thanks for the advice on how to download pictures by the way. I had tried that, but the file was too big, so I e-mailed the picture to myself using a smaller picture option, then downloaded that to this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British_Resource_001.jpg (16.5 KB, 162 views)
Old 27th May 2009, 14:57

My location
Last look at the Resource as we departed Brunei Bay.
Big Bugger innit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British_Resource_2.jpg (38.7 KB, 147 views)
Old 27th May 2009, 19:34

I believe it was a 4th Engineer who fell off the jetty whilst climbing down the piles onto a workboat whilst preparing it for service in the Port Victoria harbour. He hit his head on the boat and was trapped under water and drowned.
I completed two tours of duty in the lay up unit in 1977 & 1986 also on Resource for reactivation and re-engining in Nagasaki
Old 27th May 2009, 19:35

The boats all but one still remain in Labaun felix Purdy was scrapped in June last year to terminal rot and 19 patches on the hull will post some pics of felix taken when she was out of the water for her anual docking she is still going strong was an ex thames water authority boat???? anyone know how old they were when they went to Labaun
Old 27th May 2009, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew147 View Post
Ah "The Black Pig", what a wonderful ship the Cedros wasn't. She was one of mine for a period. The chief engineer (not BP) that laid her up drained all water tanks to bilge overflowing the turbine sump sounding pipe so that when the lub oil pumps ran he pumped water all round the turbine and gearbox bearings and gearing. The bilges had been pumped, oil renewed, at which point I arrived and we continued cleaning gearing nozzles, bearings etc for days. She had been on charter to Shell for 25 years from the original oil crisis having done one cargo of salt from Mexico to Japan. She was therefore finishing her charter in layup. Definately a ship where you only walked on the deck / hatchs etc as the grating had all rusted away.
Great place ashore as well as on the Gull. I lived in the Bishops house, catering done in the old radio station/house.
Arthur Salmon was C/E and Sainty the old man.
Sainty towers and Halviston hall!! was there with Arthur in'77 sailed with him a few time after that. After he retired he had a job a security Guard at a local firm in Bury.
Old 27th May 2009, 19:54

Felix in Labaun

note you can see Purdey in the background just before she was cut up for scrap her hull is grey from being shot blasted for thickness testing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Felix 001.jpg (132.2 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Felix 003.jpg (126.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Felix 006.jpg (116.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Felix 007.jpg (93.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Felix dry dock 021.jpg (147.4 KB, 116 views)
Old 27th May 2009, 20:23

see quote earlier his grave is in Labaun never understood why he never went home when I go there it always leaves me puzzled
Old 27th May 2009, 20:25

Colour pic of the Cedros HERE hope it helps.

Chris
Old 28th May 2009, 00:33

My location
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie-w View Post
Hi there! I went out to Brunei as 3/O in August 1985 expecting to be there for four months. The Trident was mother ship at that time. Had a fantastic time out there . I was in team 4 which was responsible for the ESSO OKINAWA/ESSO KAGOSHIMA/RUDOLPH PETERSON (CHEVRON)/ALEXANDER S. ONASSIS (OLYMPIC)/CHAMBORD(FRENCH BP)/ AND UST ATLANTIC.Great days out but so spooky in the accommodation doing dehumidifying etc. I remember the workboats and speedboats were all named after cats-purdie,felix,sylvester,top cat,cheetah,jaguar and panther.
A great place to be and a great social life too- 9-5; sat afternoon off for footie matches, bbq's at the local beach on sundays. somehow too good to be true and in October quite a few of us were transferred over to the Norness for re-activation- so actually got to sail out of Brunei Bay. Went to Singapore for a very pleasant four week drydock/repair and then paid off when the ship got to the Gulf. All in all - one of my best trips..
Hiys Steve
Can you describe the roll of the Gull and the teams in more detail?
What was the routine for each ship that was tended to. Was there a watchman or anyone left aboard. Was there power on the ships?
I left the Resource there and often wondered how she would be looked after.
Old 24th January 2010, 23:58
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
I believe it was a 4th Engineer who fell off the jetty whilst climbing down the piles onto a workboat whilst preparing it for service in the Port Victoria harbour. He hit his head on the boat and was trapped under water and drowned.
I completed two tours of duty in the lay up unit in 1977 & 1986 also on Resource for reactivation and re-engining in Nagasaki
I think his dad was a BP Lecky.
Old 25th January 2010, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogrumpy View Post
Remember all three, but sorry no pix.
Spent most of my time on base, but did get to Cedros once, what a wreck, remember the long drop down to the emergency firepumps on the UST boats?
I did 4 trips as R/O in the Bay. The entrance door to the Cedros had the words "Hello Darkness My Old Friend, I've Come To Turn Your Pumps Again" Written by one of the Engineers.
Old 25th January 2010, 10:56
Active: 1968 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks69 View Post
I did 4 trips as R/O in the Bay. The entrance door to the Cedros had the words "Hello Darkness My Old Friend, I've Come To Turn Your Pumps Again" Written by one of the Engineers.
I recall that the sick book on the Cedros was well worth a read, plenty of injuries and many mentions of visits to the clap clinic.
Old 29th January 2010, 06:22

Is anyone around who saw the famous balloon dancers - Christmas 1983 ?
Old 27th September 2010, 22:19

Felix & Sylvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog37 View Post
The boats all but one still remain in Labaun felix Purdy was scrapped in June last year to terminal rot and 19 patches on the hull will post some pics of felix taken when she was out of the water for her anual docking she is still going strong was an ex thames water authority boat???? anyone know how old they were when they went to Labaun
Felix & Sylvester were brand spanking new when they arrived in Labuan - I know I fitted the radios one Sunday with R/O Geoff Hammond directing me from the mother ship ! The mate (Warner ? Morgan fanatic) named them.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:17
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Geoff Hammond ...was his Welsh wife Noelene with him?
He was R/O on the Admiral with me.