30K views 55 replies 32 participants last post by  capkjc 
#1 · (Edited)
The Shaw Savill Zealandic at Kenosha, Wisconsin. Built 1965 7,750gt
On Uiterwick charter.

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
Ray,

I just noticed that one of the ships that you are requesting photos of is the Cingalese Prince. I have just posted a pic of her today as Gallic, in Shaw Saville colours. However the Eastern Prince was a sister of the Cingalese and her photo was frequently used to show either of those ships. No doubt you can pick a photo of her in Prince Line livery on the web.

Regards Jim.

#38 ·
Hi Don
2nd Eng Zealandic between May and August 1972.
Nice to hear from someone who worked on the main donk. Is there anyone else who would like to share their engineering experience(s) from the often maligned vessel. As with most ships the crew in it's entirety make the ship and I was very fortunate in this regard.
I can concur with those who remember the deep-sea antics of this otherwise comfortable ship; then there were those "memorable moments" such as changing the rotary exhaust valve oil seals at sea between Capetown and Freo...yes you guessed it, HOT and rolling like the proverbial...
Take care and regards
Joe

#34 ·
Hi, I have just come across this site. I was an engineer with S.S.& A 1967- 1970. The Zealandic was the first ship. I joined her after the west coast of the States trip and stayed for almost two years. I met some great people in S.S.& A and recognize some of the names who have posted on here and hope to make contact with them.
Bill Morrison

#35 · (Edited)
Hi Bill

Welcome to SN I'm sure you will spend many happy hours exploring the vast number of threads on this site.

I sailed on the MV Zealandic in '72 (2nd Eng) with Jimmy Mason Ch Eng. I am still in contact with Jimmy and enjoy his typical NE humour especially relating to the various news items out of the UK.

Browsing the site earlier this year I came across a thread on the Northern Star and it was written by a chap I had sailed with on the TSS Persic in 1960...to cut a long story short we are meeting later in the year when my wife and I travel back to the UK...so there you have it Bill! I do hope you derive as much pleasure as we have...ah yes my wife and I spent a very pleasant 7 months on the MV Medic in
1974 so we both enjoy 'the olds reliving their past'.

Take care Bill
Regards. Brian (Joe) Brown
PS It appears that there are 2 ships "Zealandic" in this thread? MV Zealandic (Shaw Savill) Off No. 306292 sister to MV Laurentic...

#36 ·
Hi Brian,
Thanks for your message. Jim Mason was the 2Eng for every voyage on Zealandic except the last one, Lou May was the Chief. I Can remember most of chaps I sailed with and have photos of some of them as well as the ship and shall try to post them.
All the best for now and hope to be in touch in the future. Bill Morrison

#39 ·
Hi Bill
Great to get your note thanks...
As I am seeing Jimmy Mason in the UK later in the year I would be obliged if you could send me a list of those engineers plus any photographs. Not that he appears to have any IT leanings; i.e., he is not into SN; however, Jimmy would, I'm sure, be delighted if I was to show up with this blast from the past.
Regards
Brian (Joe) Brown

#41 ·
Megantic (Noel Martin first leckie 1967)

To all those Shaw Savill engineers (hello there) I was First Leckie in 1967 We had just done a loading run of apples so we went a few ports that SSL didnt go to (Hobart Albany Bunbury) last port of call Freemantle. In front of us were a Port line ship & the Scottish Star all doing this apple run but they being ahead of us. Those two ships left thursday & friday but we were told to wait until saturday morning the told to bunker with as much as we could take that day. We cleared out from Freemantle 6.00PM Saturday night night for Liverpool via the Cape of Good hope. We made it to Las Palmas to rebunker 27days later then 3 to 4 days to Liverpool . But thank christ for that The Port Line ship & the Scottish Star were locked in the Suez Canal for about Six years. How lucky we were!!!! I knew John Gormley and Met up with him in Timaru about 1973/74 he was on the Megantic. Im now 74 and comming from NZ I still live here in Christchurch in a house that has no damage from our earthquakes. Regards to all Noel Martin(Whaaa)

#42 ·
To all those Shaw Savill engineers (hello there) I was First Leckie in 1967 We had just done a loading run of apples so we went a few ports that SSL didnt go to (Hobart Albany Bunbury) last port of call Freemantle. In front of us were a Port line ship & the Scottish Star all doing this apple run but they being ahead of us. Those two ships left thursday & friday but we were told to wait until saturday morning the told to bunker with as much as we could take that day. We cleared out from Freemantle 6.00PM Saturday night night for Liverpool via the Cape of Good hope. We made it to Las Palmas to rebunker 27days later then 3 to 4 days to Liverpool . But thank christ for that The Port Line ship & the Scottish Star were locked in the Suez Canal for about Six years. How lucky we were!!!! I knew John Gormley and Met up with him in Timaru about 1973/74 he was on the Megantic. Im now 74 and comming from NZ I still live here in Christchurch in a house that has no damage from our earthquakes. Regards to all Noel Martin(Whaaa)
Hi Noel
A great 'pick-up' and thanks to SN we can relive these times alongside those who lived and breathed the highs and lows of a never to be repeated era.
Living in NZ will you be attending the SS&A reunion in Hamilton next April?
My wife and I are hoping to make the trip across the ditch for that occasion.
Take care and regards to you and yours
Brian (Joe) Brown

#43 ·
Hi Brian, Noel Martin again, was the "Zealandic " S/Screw Sulzer RD76 engine? To Bill Richardson & Bob Lewis London docks Electrical Inspectors I used to call myself a "Motor Leckie " I have always been interested in Diesels. And involved with Wartsilla who purchased Sulzer some years back. (Share holder) What got me interested more so lately 20 years ago was the "Graf Spee"
'I read a story about her and decided to find out a bore & stroke size of her 8 X 9 cylinder double acting 2 stroke engines and using the only formula I knew (imperial units) I managed to come up with a mulitple of the bore & stroke and there it sat for a number of years until I got hold of a few page book on her which gave me the bore (420mm) & stroke (580mm)450 rpm Problem solved!!!. Worked here in NZ with ASEA now ABB and Now they make most of the drives on Cruise ships (Azipods) with Wartsila Medium speed diesels for generation (11,000 volts AC) Hope this thread interests you Brian . Kind regards Noel Martin

#44 ·
Hi Noel
Your info re Zealandic engine type is correct...
Interesting info re Graf Spee
Being a Shaw Savill Engineer...well ok, almost ho ho, and living in NZ are you in the Shaw Savill Society...the NZ branch are holding their reunion in Hamilton April next year
Take care and regards to you and yours
Brian (Joe) Brown

#45 ·
Hi Brian ~ I can confirm that Noel is not member of the Shaw Savill Society in NZ ~ but new members ~ always welcome ~ and hope we can attract few new members at our Hamilton Reunion. I enjoy reading all the 'nostalgia' about Shaw Savill days even though I am not engineer ~ but can relate to the good days we served with the Company.
Most of our members are engineers ~ and they always support our gatherings ~ just hope few more of you will be enticed to join ~ its only 20 bucks a year ~ the cost of 2-3 beers ~ c'mon guys ~ we have a weekend of sheer "live" nostalgia at our gatherings.
Anyone interested ~ please contact me at brandane69@yahoo.co.uk
Cheers Jamie
Shaw Savill Society
Membership Secretary
NZ Branch

#46 ·
Memories required

Geeetings
Like myself, my brother Bill Holmes sailed as an engineer with Shaw Savill. Bill sailed on the Zealandic during her 'K' line charter during the late 60's, and recounted many memories of the trips. Unfortunately Bill has recently suffered a mild stroke and some of those memoriies have gone. Does anyone on the forum remember Bill and if so do they have any memories of those times or perhaps even some photographs which may help to jog his own memories back.
Regards
Jim Holmes (ex SSA engineer)

#54 ·
Geeetings
Like myself, my brother Bill Holmes sailed as an engineer with Shaw Savill. Bill sailed on the Zealandic during her 'K' line charter during the late 60's, and recounted many memories of the trips. Unfortunately Bill has recently suffered a mild stroke and some of those memoriies have gone. Does anyone on the forum remember Bill and if so do they have any memories of those times or perhaps even some photographs which may help to jog his own memories back.
Regards
Jim Holmes (ex SSA engineer)
Hi Jim I sailed with Bill when Lue May was chief, Jimmy Greeley was 2nd Bob Macey was 1st Lecky I was 2nd Lecky. Other people he may remember are Hatrack and Yorkie Sorry it took so long to respond and Ihope he is getting better I was known as South.

#47 ·
Zealandic with Bill Holmes

Hello Jim,
I am sorry to hear of your brother Bill's illness, as we sailed on a few voyages on the "Old Zealandic" along with Big Austin Hourston and John Bradshaw (Muttonbird).
Bill, your mum and dad stayed with me before they caught the ferry to Orkney for Big Austin's wedding in 1970.
I am still in contact with John Bradshaw in NZ, the last time I saw Big Austin he was the Chief Engineer at the Lerwick Power Station about 1978.
Well Jim I hope this will help with Bill's memories. I will try to get back to you with a few good and not so good yarns if I can remember which voyages Bill and I were on.
All the best for now and give Bill my kind regards.

Bill Morrison 4th Eng. Zealandic

#50 · (Edited)
I sailed with Tommy Hoy for two years on the Shaw Savill Waiwera. 1962 I was first trip Junior and Tommy was 2nd engineer, He was my inspiration to become 2nd. engineer which I eventually did then on to Chief,
The WAIWERA, A WORKHOUSE,( if it could happen, it did ) Tommy Hoy 2ND, Fred Norden Chief, set me up for the next thirty odd years in engine rooms,

The Tommy Hoy I knew would not fit the description of Tom Hay. He would never be throwing cups at the bulkheads or shouting for anything

Of my years in SS&A I only remember clearly the names of Tommy and,Fred .from the Waiwera and the Chief on the Afric when on my second trip as second,

All the best .George

#55 ·
Greetings Stewart,

Thanks for your reply, you will be pleased to hear that Bill made a full recovery and is back to normal, he was helped in this process by putting pen to paper reminiscing about his times at sea and his memories of good times. I off on holiday today, but I will pass on your regards when I next see him.
Regards
Jim H

#56 ·
Yes, the Zealandic was painted in the Shaw Savill greys, dark grey for hull and lighter for superstructure and masts. This was the scheme in the latter days of the company. The funnel was painted in charterers colours. The route was Sheerness/ Rotterdam to Kenosha (Wisconson) in summer months, and in winter to the gulf ports of Freeport and Tampa.
Was my first ship as galley boy straight from the dreaded training site in gravesend i was so innocent in them days but stayed for a couple of years on the ship , good old days of shipping up the saint laurence and met my first love in kenosha , wonder whatever happend to her ,tina ward x