Foden's of Sandbach - Ships Nostalgia
17:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Foden's of Sandbach

User Tag List

Old 16th March 2015, 18:21
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering

Foden's of Sandbach

I worked for Foden's for 45 years before retiring and in my retirement years, maintain an archive of original Foden photo's, drawings, letters etc. I help people out when they are looking for information about any Foden related history, however my main interest is in the steam era.
I have started a project of my own looking at Foden's involvement in steam boat building. I have steam engine drawings, together with evidence of ship building and engine supply in Leftwich, Weston Point and Runcorn, mainly I believe for the salt trade.
I have the names of four ships/tugs Foden's were involved with and have gathered information from Lloyd's on-line site some of which conflicts with other information I have gathered.
I am keen to pick people's brains and expertise and came across this site. I am happy to share anything I have of interest including later boat involvement with diesel engines
I have not looked around the site yet so would ask a quick question - Will I find help on here and will I be able to add any value? David

Last edited by davidje; 16th March 2015 at 18:22.. Reason: Typo
Old 16th March 2015, 20:05

You bet!!

This site is a mine of information and I'm sure you'll receive many offers of help.

Good hunting, David.

best wishes,

BY
Old 16th March 2015, 20:17
Forever a Seaman
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
Welcome to the site David.
Have a good look around the site and you will see that we have our serious and our fun side.
Like Barry I am quite sure that you will receive help on here and I am also sure that any contributions you make will add value.

Last edited by John Briggs; 17th March 2015 at 06:38.. Reason: typo
Old 16th March 2015, 20:18
Super Moderator

On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard David.
Old 17th March 2015, 02:35
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day davidje.m.today.02:21.re:foden's of sandbach.wellcome aboard.look forward to your post's.regards ben27
Old 17th March 2015, 23:17
Bilge Rat
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer
Old 18th March 2015, 04:10

Did the Foden Diesel truck engine, very early model, have "studs" which were cylinder head "bolts" but went thru the block and also held the main bearings in place? I was only privy to the overhaul of one, and recall thinking "that's a bit dumb"But that was many years ago, and I might have the wrong company in mind ?
Old 18th March 2015, 06:14

Welcome David,
I lived in the Northwich, Middlewich area and new a number of people who worked at both Foden and ERF in Sandbach.
Yarwoods shipyard in Northwich built many vessels including tugs and of course many of the ICI salt boats which plied the Weaver.
Maybe Yarwoods or ICI marine records maybe a source of information for your research.
Old 18th March 2015, 12:42

Hamish, You are quite correct. When I can work out how to post photographs, I will copy one of the repair shop engine section where you will see people working on the engines. There was a stage where we had cracking problems with the heads.
Old 18th March 2015, 12:46

John, Thanks for the tips. I went to Northwich library yesterday and scanned through the Northwich Chronicle archives and found one press cutting of one of the ships. We will go back next week to look through some of the books in there. We also went to the museum but there was not a lot there as I think the salt records went to Chester, which can be another source.
Old 18th March 2015, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Mackintosh View Post
Did the Foden Diesel truck engine, very early model, have "studs" which were cylinder head "bolts" but went thru the block and also held the main bearings in place? I was only privy to the overhaul of one, and recall thinking "that's a bit dumb"But that was many years ago, and I might have the wrong company in mind ?
Hamish, Here is the photo of the Foden engine shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine shop.jpg (442.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 18th March 2015, 20:24

Foden Marine Diesel Engine

. . . . and a photo of a Foden Marine Engine. 6 cylinder 2 stroke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foden marine engine 6 cyl 2 stroke.jpg (350.8 KB, 11 views)