Registered Length of Ships - Ships Nostalgia
15:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Registered Length of Ships

User Tag List

Old 27th April 2007, 13:43

Registered Length of Ships

All British merchant vessels have a registered length, which is the quoted measurement in Lloyd’s Register up to the 1940’s. Since then Lloyd’s gives both a “between perpendiculars” (bp) and “overall” (oa) length. It is my understanding that originally the registered length was the bp figure, but it appears that somewhere along the line (around 1930??) this changed to what I think is a “waterline” length.

Using the QUEEN ELIZABETH as an example, oa length was 1031 feet, bp 965 feet and registered 987.4 feet.

Can anyone confirm what registered length represents, and if it changed, when?

Richard
Old 27th April 2007, 19:27
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Registered length as given on a ships certificate of registry.
Length BP the distance on the summer load waterline from the fore side of the stem to the after side of the rudder post, or to the centre of the rudder stock if there is no rudder post.
Old 28th April 2007, 06:01
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Waterline length is primarily used for hydrostatic and displacement hull speed calculations.
Old 1st April 2013, 13:17
Active: 1986 - Present

Hmmm?

...am I missing something here! Richard's original question seems not to have been answered.

We know where the Registered length comes from, i.e. to be found in the Registration Certificate, we also know what LOA means, what LBP means and what the waterline length is and for what it is used for.

Now, provided Richard's figures are correct, i.e. "
Using the QUEEN ELIZABETH as an example, oa length was 1031 feet, bp 965 feet and registered 987.4 feet", then the answers seem not to explain the difference!

Also, if it was changes somtime around 1930, what is correct for pre and post 1930???

I bring this up again, as I am looking at a ship built 1896 with a "regisstered lenght" of 95,48 m (obviously conveted to metric) and would like to find out how that can be compared to 91,40 m LOA of a different ship!

Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 13:29
Active: 1986 - Present

O.K., just found the following:

REGISTERED LENGTH is the length from the fore part of the stem to the aft side of the stern post (or in a ship not having a stern post) to the fore side of the rudder stock at the point where the rudder stock passes out of the hull. In ships not having a stern post or rudder stock the after terminal point is taken to the outer face of the transom or stem of the ship. With regard to the forward terminal the measurement is to be taken to the forward face of the structure above the deepest load waterline which is an integral part of the ship, being connected by welding or riveting but not bolts, and do not include bulbous or ram bows
UNQUOTE

But was there a change????

Last edited by FSG631; 1st April 2013 at 13:30.. Reason: Old man