United Towing information please - Elaine - Ships Nostalgia
07:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

United Towing information please - Elaine

User Tag List

Old 29th January 2008, 22:16

Smile United Towing information please - Elaine

Hi Everyone

I only joined the forum yesterday so I'm not very good at using the site yet - not sure I ever will be!!! but I would like to ask all tug enthusiasts if they have any photos of either Lady Moira, Lady Constance or Salvageman as my Father-in-law was on them years ago - he retired 12 years ago now! I have found a few in the gallery. Or any news/stories to do with United Towing as I am trying to put together a photobook - it would be great if I could get some more photos! I know he went to the Faulklands in 1982 on the Salvageman but I can't seem to find any footage - didn't they warrant a proper send-off?

Thanks, Elaine

Last edited by Gulpers; 29th January 2008 at 22:28..
Old 29th January 2008, 22:28

My location
Hi Elaine,
I done a gallery photo search for SALVAGEMAN and all the photos are available for your viewing at this location
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...searchid=58114
Good luck, never let it be said that us Grey Funnel types were unable to rush to help a member of our favorite sex
AB
Old 29th January 2008, 22:31

Thank you - you are a diamond!
Elaine
Old 29th January 2008, 22:32
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Thumbs up Moved post

Elaine,

I've moved this post from "Hello" to the "Tug" category.

See, you are already getting a response to your request.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of things before long - we all make mistakes, believe me!

Last edited by Gulpers; 29th January 2008 at 22:38..
Old 29th January 2008, 22:36

Thank you that's really helpful!

Elaine
Old 29th January 2008, 22:42
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientBrit View Post
Good luck, never let it be said that us Grey Funnel types were unable to rush to help a member of our favorite sex
AB
Well done AB!
Peter
Old 30th January 2008, 09:39

Hello Elaine
I sailed with a Cyril Reibbitt on the tugs for United Towing, any relation? he was mainly skipper on the harbour tugs although he did occasionally do coastal or oil rig moving work. That was a long time ago and he must be well retired by now. I spent thirteen years with UTC, my father and brothers were skippers with them.
Ray Jordan
Old 30th January 2008, 10:08
user

My location
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the book. If you haven't got it it's -
"United Towing 1920 to 1990" compiled by Alan Ford and published by Hutton Press. ISBN 1 872167 07 1.
There are several available on Abebooks but they are a bit expensive.
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...towing&x=0&y=0
Old 30th January 2008, 11:27

Of course the book! I forgot all about that. For some reason I ended up with two copies, if anybody wants one they are quite welcome.
Ray Jordan
Old 30th January 2008, 11:41

I have posted a picture of Lady Susan today Elaine. Maybe Cyril was on her but not sure. It will give you an idea of what his job entailed at Immingham.
Neil
Old 30th January 2008, 22:06

Elaine, Photo of Salvageman in Gallery. Is Danny Reibbett any relation?

Ray, Photo of you and Al Keeping on Englishman in Gallery (tugs)

Regards peteb
Old 31st January 2008, 07:53
user

My location
Neil,
Well done - nice one
Old 31st January 2008, 14:57

Peteb
That was 'Englishman' 1970. We were based in Singapore but did a few tows to Borneo, (Kuching, Sarawak, around that area). We also did a couple of salvage jobs in the South China Seas and one off the Saudi Coast. The previous crew salvaged the 'Seatrain Washington' in the Mekong Delta. The Vietnam war was still going on and the ship was carrying explosives. Story has it that the tug crew demanded war zone bonus, which they got but also the sack when they flew home but I don't know the full story behind that. When I was there the skipper was Arthur King who became director of his own towing company (AKA) Arthur King Associates. The chief engineer was Charlie Boxhall whose son played rugby for Hull FC. The second mate had an extra masters ticket and went on to became an 'Examiner of Masters and Mates' but I can't remember his name. The other engineers were Brian Chapman who I believe became marine superintendant for South Coast Shipping and Pete Yeomans who I have lost contact with. Peter Hemmerman was the RO, he was an excellent artist who got us a free night on the beer for presenting a Singapore bar with a painting of the ship. Another crew member who shall remain nameless ended up doing time for manslaughter. A mixed bunch to say the least. We had a navigator who couldn't keep his feet when the tug was rolling (and she would roll on the morning dew). I once got smacked on the head by the tow wire in bad weather and he attempted to stitch me up, talk about homeward bounders, at least my hair covered the scar. I remember another tug in Singapore at the time. I can't recall the name although 'Charles' rings a bell. She was timber built with very colourful funnel markings - a red indian in full head dress. She used to tow munition barges to Vietnam where she once took a shell through the galley porthole killing the cook. Alan Keeping and I got offered a job on her which we politely declined.
Ray Jordan
Old 31st January 2008, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine Reibbitt View Post
Hi Everyone

I only joined the forum yesterday so I'm not very good at using the site yet - not sure I ever will be!!! but I would like to ask all tug enthusiasts if they have any photos of either Lady Moira, Lady Constance or Salvageman as my Father-in-law was on them years ago - he retired 12 years ago now! I have found a few in the gallery. Or any news/stories to do with United Towing as I am trying to put together a photobook - it would be great if I could get some more photos! I know he went to the Faulklands in 1982 on the Salvageman but I can't seem to find any footage - didn't they warrant a proper send-off?

Thanks, Elaine
Hi there elaine & welcome to this great site. I believe there are quite a few ex United Towing crewmen among the users on here. My Dad (Gordon Mason) was Chief Engineer on a few of Uniteds tugs & my godfather Ernie Baker was also on a few including Salvageman but I am not sure if he was still on her when she went to the falklands. I know there is a good book on United Towing by hutton press but I can't seem to get hold of one as every supplier says it is out of press. My friends dad Ray Chapman who worked for United and later Humber Tugs has a copy but won't part company with it. Keep us all posted with the booklet as I would love a copy.
Regards
Rob Mason
Old 31st January 2008, 23:57

Elaine

Hi All, I was so pleased to hear from you all - that's made my day!! Cyril Reibbit is my Father-in-law, he has been retired now for about 12 years I think, he done his last trip on Lady Cecilia. He is keeping well but I don't think he stayed in touch with any of the crew!

Danny Reibbitt is my husband - he joined United Towing in 1983 as Galley boy on the Salvageman, then deckhand. He worked for them until 1986, then Humber Tugs. In 1988 he joined the Arco Thames in Southampton as AB and I met him in 1989. He has worked his way up and has just joined the Arco Arun as Master (January 16th 2008). I have just spoken to him on the telephone and he recognise some of your names - it would be great to know some more about you if you don't mind. Ray, which tugs did you sail on and when? Pete, what is your surname?

If you have any more stories to tell I'd love to hear them or any photos (tugs and crew) thank you for the photo of Lady Susan I'll ask Cyril if he did sail on her.

Thank you for letting me know about the book - I think Cyril has a copy so next time we visit I shall ask him for it.

Hope to speak to you all again - bye for now and thanks

Elaine
Old 1st February 2008, 07:47

Rob
I have a spare copy of that book about United Towing which you are quite welcome to. I am away at the moment in the Gulf of Mexico but am due back in the UK in about three weeks time, if you send me a PM with your address I will post it to you. To be quite honest I wasn't all that impressed with it, too factual for me. I wish someone would write a book about the actual tows and salvage jobs (too numerous to mention I suppose) and some insight into how the crews lived and worked - then again perhaps not!
Elaine
There are a few stories knocking about this site regarding tugs. I have been to a few reunions over the years to meet the lads and I went to a Falklands coming home party, maybe you and your husband were there. I left UTC many years ago when they went into decline.
Ray Jordan
Old 1st February 2008, 16:53

Ray, Thanks for the info.about Englishman 1970.The photo came from Pete
Hemmerman. He was on the same job as me at Immingham just before Xmas
I have been compiling a history about U.T.Co for several years now,hopefully
for book2 one day.Please contact me when your home I,ve hundreds of photos and stories I would like you to see.
Regards Pete Bass
Old 1st February 2008, 20:13

Elaine,The photo of Salvageman & crew came from Tony Porter I,m sure your
husband will know him. I was down South Georgia and the Falklands 1982-84
on RFA Appleleaf and Fort Grange but not on tugs. My father and Uncle both
sailed with U.T.Co as Engineers on The steam tugs Tradesman Merchantman
Englishman and Masterman. Uncle Bill joined the Masterman in WW2, she was
then called Empire Larch. Let me know what photos you need I have hundreds
Regards Pete Bass.
Old 1st February 2008, 23:22

Elaine

Hello Pete

I would love to see any photo's you have of any of the United Towing tugs - Im not sure how many there were though. My husband, Danny, is home next week so I'll have to get him on site so he can catch up with you all.

Ta ra for now. Elaine
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:53

Peteb
You must be the same Pete I met in "Blue Bell' in Sproatley with Barry Pickard? If you are still interested in writing a book about tugs get in touch with Danny and Dave Betts (if you haven't already done so) Danny is ex UTC and has been skipper of the 'Wolraad Woltemade' for about 25 years, his brother Dave (also ex UTC) is a salvage superintendant for Smits in Singapore They have a wealth of experience of ocean going tugs as do quite a few other guys on this site. Their father (like mine) was also skipper with UTC.
I have been out of that game for many years now but I suppose a tug is still a tug so to speak. I can tell you all about Dynamic Positioning if that's any good aha!
You mention Tony Porter. A Tony Porter lives just two doors from me. We both bought a plot of land and built our own houses. He served in the Falklands on the tugs but left to become a Humber pilot. He left the pilot service when ABB took over and went back to sea. could it be the same guy?
Ray Jordan
Old 2nd February 2008, 15:48

Ray, Yes that was me in the Blue Bell.Me,Barry, and his brothers used to do
a lot of dynamic positioning in the Maybury pub.I believe he was with Bank
line at the time, I was on Athel tankers.I remember your father Jack, he was
a pal of my dads, they were both on Bureaucrat together.I have story and
crew list about Prizeman in W.W.2.Capt. Jim Barley, Mate Jack Jordon it even
mentions the Gunners names.
Tony Porter sends his regards,I spoke to him today,he goes back next week
he,s Skipper of a supply ship, off West Africa.
Old 2nd February 2008, 16:10

If it is any interest to anyone, i played about with the limited amount of pictures i had and most that i copied of here and other sites, and made a slideshow that you can view on Youtube. Just type in United Towing Hull and it should come up. Would really appreciate any photo's that UTC crewmembers may have stashed away, especially pics showing the crews and stories of tows or anything else. I work with the guys on the Finland terminal in Hull and the interest there for UTC astounding.

Regards
Rob Mason
Old 2nd February 2008, 16:22

Hi Elaine,
I remember quite some years ago when I was at school, my dad was at home on leave from working in the states. One day there was a phone call for my dad from one of his old workmates at UTC telling him that there was a tug capsized at spurn. Not wanting to miss anything he bundled me into the car and we raced off to spurn point. It was an amazing sight to see all this excitement as a child, but what amazed me more was all the guys on the beach who knew my dad and he got involved like it was his job to help sort it out, and he wasn't even working for that company. Seems to me that all the Hull tugmen have the same attitude that no matter who they work for, they are all in it together. I believe it was Lady Moira that was in trouble(see my post "tug capsize at spurn point"

Regards
Rob Mason
Old 2nd February 2008, 19:52

Rob, Elaine, Photo of Lady Moira in Gallery. (tugs & dredgers)

Pete Bass
Old 3rd February 2008, 08:12

Elaine
Sorry I forgot. You asked me what tugs I was on. My first tug was a little single screw coal burning harbour tug called 'Pinky' I was fifteen at the time, she had no generator just oil burning lamps, no VHF, radar or radio whatsover. The only communication between the tug and tow was ships whistle. we deckies had to take it turns to come half an hour earlier for work than the rest of the crew to trim the lamps, start the galley and messroom pot bellied stove etc. I had the utmost respect for the skippers in those days, it was no mean feat manoeuvring those tugs under the bow of a ship in a fast running tide and certainly wasn't for the faint hearted. Once the tow rope was on the tow hook one of us had to run forward and hoist the paraffin towing light. Her sister ship was the 'Biddy' and they were officially Hull's firefighting tugs (another job, cleaning the brass hose nozzles) the two tugs were not supposed to be in the same dock at the same time. Anyway I did a spell in the merchant navy then came back with UTC on all sorts of anchor handling, salvage coastal and deep sea tugs ending up mate on 'Lloydsman' I then went on supply boats as mate and skipper and finally ended up in the offshore game where I am now as a DP operator (Dynamic Positioning)
Ray Jordan