Empress Of Britain - Ships Nostalgia
08:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Empress Of Britain

User Tag List

Old 6th April 2004, 15:07

Empress Of Britain

The EMPRESS OF BRITAIN (II) was built in 1956 for Canadian Pacific. 25,516 gross tonnage, 640ft overall, geared turbines, twin screw, 21 knots, 1050 passengers. She operated between the U.K. and Canada and as a cruise liner. She was sold to the Greek Line in 1964 and became the QUEEN ANNA MARIA eventually being bought by Carnival Cruise Lines in 1975 and renamed CARNIVALE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EMPRESS OF BRITAIN.JPG (36.5 KB, 232 views)
Old 14th June 2004, 21:01
Lanaud

My location
Smile

Took my Honeymoon on her as Carnivale back in December of 1982. Really enjoyed her classic looks and superb interior... :clap:

I have a few photos that I will try to scan and let you see. :thumb:

Take care
Old 1st July 2004, 17:38

Unhappy Your Collection...

Hi Lanaud.

Yes, the Empress boats were very attractive but there again so were their competitors on the North Atlantic, Carinthia, Ivernia and Saxonia in their time.
Looking forward to seeing any other pics. that you may have.
Ian
(Admin).

Last edited by Ian; 2nd July 2004 at 14:18..
Old 3rd July 2004, 01:26
Lanaud

My location
Unhappy

Leaving for a week but will try to scna the ones I have from 1982 when I get back.
Old 4th July 2004, 14:09

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
The EMPRESS OF BRITAIN (II) was built in 1956 for Canadian Pacific. 25,516 gross tonnage, 640ft overall, geared turbines, twin screw, 21 knots, 1050 passengers. She operated between the U.K. and Canada and as a cruise liner. She was sold to the Greek Line in 1964 and became the QUEEN ANNA MARIA eventually being bought by Carnival Cruise Lines in 1975 and renamed CARNIVALE.
Hi Ian
after CARNIVALE she become FIESTA MARINA -then OLYNPIC and in 1999
THE TOPAZ of KYMA SHIPPING MANAGEMENT US.
Uprights forward of bridge now removed.
Good sunday
GP
Old 23rd July 2004, 16:48

Seen as THE TOPAZ in Civitavecchia, Italy on the 19th October 2002.

Photo changed 24th July 2004
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Topaz.jpg (78.7 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by Bob S; 24th July 2004 at 18:18..
Old 2nd August 2005, 20:37

Empress of Britain

Hello....
just joined and would like to say its great to see so many people with the same love of ships as me. I worked on the Empress of Britain when she was renamed OLYMPIC for Epirotiki lines...let me tell you it was a shame shame shame that they sold her. She was excellent and the smoothest sail i have ever been on.

If anyone wants to see what her engines look like, i have some pictures of her from 1995

A grand lady of the sea!!
Old 2nd August 2005, 21:30

Welcome to Ships Nostalgia.EMPRESS OF BRITAIN has certainly served well and have spoken to people who have sailed on her in later years as a cruise ship and were most surprised when her builders' plate was discovered!
Old 2nd August 2005, 21:38

Shipbrat welcome to SN.

Members including E/O members would surely be interested in your photos of her engines.Guidelines to Posting will assist in photo and message posting.
Old 7th August 2005, 09:45

Hi Ian,
I've posted my one and only pic. of this ship in the Liner section of the Gallery, for your interest. A beautiful ship, more like an outsize yacht, with graceful lines and funnel to match.
Rusty
Old 7th August 2005, 10:42

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty
Hi Ian,
I've posted my one and only pic. of this ship in the Liner section of the Gallery, for your interest. A beautiful ship, more like an outsize yacht, with graceful lines and funnel to match.
Rusty
Yes indeed and a very good picture it is indeed. Great lines, they just dont make em like that any more!!.
Old 22nd September 2005, 21:29

My location
came home from canada once one way england or britain cant remember as v n c u all no what that means tel

Old 5th February 2006, 15:38
Lanaud

My location
Carnivale

I know.... I still have not scanned thoses photos. I've seen a few though of her as TOPAZ for Peaceboats. Still good looking gal
Old 5th February 2006, 15:44
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

WElcome Shiprat from the south of England, enjoy the site and please put photos on site of engines, make me feel at home.
Old 11th November 2006, 22:50
Keith Adams
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
Empress Of Britain

Good thread, I saw her launching,was on a PSNC "S" boat, homeward bound and had to anchor until it was over... later joined her as 5th Mate with my
brandnew 2nd Mates ticket.. she was only 6mths old at time. Have to check my book but think I was there for 9 mths.Left her after we brought Sir Anthony Eden home(Suez Crisis). Snowbow has a beautiful print of her painting on Mersey,back page of OCT Sea Breezes. Capt Dobson left her to take the
"Empress of England" maiden voyage...both ships met at sea, new Captain
was Duck... morse message from Dobson to Duck "Did I inadvertantly leave
my shaving brush?". Duck to Dobson "Yes, also one tin of baby powder,which
as yet, has been ineffective!". There are many tales to tell if you buy the beer.Snowy.
Old 19th November 2006, 07:58
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Good thread, I saw her launching,was on a PSNC "S" boat, homeward bound and had to anchor until it was over... later joined her as 5th Mate with my
brandnew 2nd Mates ticket.. she was only 6mths old at time. Have to check my book but think I was there for 9 mths.Left her after we brought Sir Anthony Eden home(Suez Crisis). Snowbow has a beautiful print of her painting on Mersey,back page of OCT Sea Breezes. Capt Dobson left her to take the
"Empress of England" maiden voyage...both ships met at sea, new Captain
was Duck... morse message from Dobson to Duck "Did I inadvertantly leave
my shaving brush?". Duck to Dobson "Yes, also one tin of baby powder,which
as yet, has been ineffective!". There are many tales to tell if you buy the beer.Snowy.
heard the one about the old man on 0ne of the empress ships he was rather small to say the least,would send the bridge boy down to run his bath, boy go and run my bath not to hot in case i scald myself and not to cold in case i freeze my balls! and bridge boy mutters as he goes passed qm on wheel and not to deep in case you drown in it
you little bas----d those were the days
Old 18th January 2007, 22:22

sailed on cruise with her indoors on the topaz as she was then for chrismas 2002 tenarife/gran canaria/lanzarotte/morocco and madeira great cruise was last under the tui-thomson holidays flag
Old 17th May 2015, 18:20
Active: 1961 - 1961

Served on Empress of Britain -in fateful strike

At 16 Years of age in 1961, I joined the Merchant Marines out of The Port of Liverpool and was assigned the position of Engineers Boy on the Empress of Britain of Canadian Pacific Steamships. Four months previous I had gone to catering school in Liverpool training to be a stewart. I was taught how to wait on passengers by serving office staff from Liverpool businesses. After the four months I graduated and was assigned to the Canadian Pacific Steamship Empress of Britain. We sailed from Liverpool to Greenock on the Firth of Clyde and picked up more passengers then sailed on to Quebec and Montreal, before returning back to Liverpool. It would be interesting to talk to others who served on the ship.