Farewell to the China Boats - Ships Nostalgia
08:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Farewell to the China Boats

User Tag List

Old 6th April 2008, 06:33

Farewell to the China Boats

Some years back during the search for "Glenfalloch/Qing He Cheng," I had one or two email exchanges with one John Marshall with some Blue Funnel connection that presently escapes me. John has since compiled a website that will be of interest to all Blue Funnellers.
n.b. Steve (Ships lookout) Have approached John for link to SN.
p.s Thanks Dave for info... B/Regds.

http://www.pentredu.freeserve.co.uk/
Old 6th April 2008, 07:59
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Malc

Is this vessel still not sailing in the Far East out of North Korea
Old 6th April 2008, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdynia View Post
Malc
Is this vessel still not sailing in the Far East out of North Korea
That was the last rumoured sighting Neville. Who knows she may be still alive and well, those ships were built to last.
Keep your eyes and ears open and who knows, we may start the ball rolling again!
Old 6th April 2008, 12:31

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Some years back during the search for "Glenfalloch/Qing He Cheng," I had one or two email exchanges with one John Marshall with some Blue Funnel connection that presently escapes me. John has since compiled a website that will be of interest to all Blue Funnellers.
n.b. Steve (Ships lookout) Have approached John for link to SN.
p.s Thanks Dave for info... B/Regds.

http://www.pentredu.freeserve.co.uk/
As an addition to the above web-site I believe this photograph of Graham Allen, the 4th Mate of the Rhexenor, will be of interest. Graham was taken aboard the U.217 which then went around the survivors in the 4 boats in order for him to identify the master. He insisted that he had gone down with the ship and, accordingly, he had not been able to identify him. Much to his surprise, instead of being returned to his boat, Graham was kept aboard the sub., which having come to the end of its patrol was on its way back to Brest. The photograph is of Graham landing from the sub. and on his way into captivity at Milag.
Old 6th April 2008, 12:40

My location
Graham is still with us, recovering at the moment from a recent heart attack. He was once a colleague of mine in the Aden Pilot Service. I chatted to him on the 'phone just a few days ago. He recalled celebrating, if that is the right word, his 21st birthday in the U.217: they gave him a drink, Creme de Menthe!
The U.217 was sunk by the U.S.Navy, with the loss of all hands, on her next patrol.