rms ruhrort - Ships Nostalgia
08:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

rms ruhrort

User Tag List

Old 4th June 2005, 13:50

rms ruhrort

Picture of the modern coaster RMS Ruhrort passing Baarlo/Steyl on the Maas south of Venlo in the direction of Roermond on 24th May 2005.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rms ruhrort 01.jpg (82.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 5th June 2005, 00:29

My location
Forgive my ignorance David, I thought RMS stood for royal mail ship but this looks more like what I would call a bulk carrier can you enlighten me please?
Old 5th June 2005, 09:12

RMS also stands for Rhine Maas Sea Line and is a major player in short sea trades around europe.
Old 5th June 2005, 12:37

RMS is part of her name rather than a title.
Old 6th June 2005, 00:10

My location
Thanks gents I think that's what probably threw me and you are probably saying that she is the ss (or mv) RMS Ruhrort would that be right?
Old 6th June 2005, 06:19

Having just read this thread, I was browsing in a bookshop today and found a book on shipwrecks round the British Isles. By coicidence, I found an article about RMS Mulheim going aground at Sennen Cove, Landsend, on 22nd March 2003, while en route from Cork to Luebeck with a cargo of plastic scrap. Apparently the mate on watch tripped when getting out of his chair and knocked himself out - so much for single handed watches! Fortunately, all crew were rescued. Lots of pictures available in Google.

John T.
Old 12th June 2005, 13:46

David, is this vessel also crossing the North Sea? It looks like a typical inland waterway ship.

The vessel , on this picture, passes the river Maas (Meuse) in the Southern province of Limburg which is 200 km. from the sea.
Old 5th July 2005, 23:02

My location
Hi,

There is a photo in my gallery (too big to post here) of her sailing from Sunderland with a deck cargo of Leibherr crane parts, she is a regular visitor to NE ports.

Steve.