RAF Fort Austin - Ships Nostalgia
01:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

RAF Fort Austin

User Tag List

Old 16th June 2008, 21:36

My location
RAF Fort Austin

RAF? well thats what the subtitles on Channel 5's "Warship" series said everytime somebody said RFA.

I can remember a few conversations with people over the years who have assumed I meant RAF when I was talking RFA. Is this a really common mistake that people think the RAF man large grey ships?

P.S, I am convinced one of my management still thinks I'm nuts because I told her that the ship she visited was not a hospital ship called HMS Argus.
Old 16th June 2008, 21:50

I guess you are right, as she isn't HMS but RFA Argus does have a role as a secondary recieving ship aka hospital ship. This conversion work was carried out for the 1991 Gulf War.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:13
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - Present

RFA Argus has a role as Primary Casualty Receiving Ship, and so is NOT a hospital ship. She was my last RFA ship in 1993.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oatey View Post
RFA Argus has a role as Primary Casualty Receiving Ship, and so is NOT a hospital ship. She was my last RFA ship in 1993.
Not meaning to nit pick here but i believe the real wording of the Role is PCRF Primary Casualty Receiving Facility. Apparently some were getting above themselves thinking that this was her only or most important role; she is also Aviation Training Platform. However, i have heard rumours that Casualty Receiving has gone back to top of the league, due to willy-waggling among the RN Braid. She is still RFA though and moves courtesy of RFA too.
I'll put my tin hat on now and wait for all the incoming from the pro RN brigade.
Mick S
Old 16th July 2008, 12:17

My location
I knew she could be used for that purpose, but I always thought her main role was aviation training, after all she was the replacement for the old Engadine.
Old 16th July 2008, 20:49
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1971 - Present

Details of the Argus, including her PCRS role can be seen at
www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5416
Old 2nd December 2008, 00:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy

PCRF Primary Casualty Receiving Facility.
Does that make her a sort of floating M*A*S*H unit??
Old 2nd December 2008, 09:17

Probably. As mentioned above, someone seems to think that this is now classed as one of her primary roles. Extract from RN site - "RFA argus is unusual in having two primary roles. Firstly, she can deploy to warzones as a Primary Casualty Receiving Facility (PCRF) providing facilities including two operating theatres and 100 beds. This ensures that wounded service personnel of all nationalities can receive swift care equal to that of most UK hospitals and was used to great effect during both Gulf Wars. However, because she does not comply with the Geneva Convention and International Red Cross requirements – she may be fitted with self-defence guns or have operational units embarked for example – RFA Argus is not classified as a hospital ship and does not display a Red Cross."
She also has a third role and has been employed as, a substitute LPH.

Last edited by Lancastrian; 2nd December 2008 at 09:19..
Old 24th February 2009, 13:28
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Deck
Active: 1984 - Present

But without the Novo virus (Yet)