Hotspur, Adventure or Wizard?? - Ships Nostalgia
01:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hotspur, Adventure or Wizard??

User Tag List

Old 18th June 2008, 17:44

Go to sea as a Radio Officer..

Wonder how many can remember the adverts in DC Thomson's comics from the two principle advertisers and possibly succumbed to same..

Colwyn Bay and Brooks Bar??
Old 18th June 2008, 19:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post

Wonder how many can remember the adverts in DC Thomson's comics from the two principle advertisers and possibly succumbed to same..

Confess I went to Brook's Bar but only because it was just a couple of bus rides away from home.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 18th June 2008, 19:16
Active: 1966 - 1987

Talking

Only read the Beano as a youngster, a DC Thompson comic but don't remember any such adverts.
It would be good to see a scan of one of their adverts.

Dennis the Menace
Old 18th June 2008, 19:20

Quote:

I was and Adventure man myself. Friday night was absolutely silent in out house. Think the main detective was Colwyn Dane or something. Did the Hotspur have a character named 'Ginger Nut - the Boy who took the biscuit'?
There was also a character named 'Wild Young Dirky' .. an incredible youth in a kilt carrying a shoulder belt bristling with wee daggers. There was also a young football star but can't remember much about him. Happy days indeed.
No telly or video games just the comics and the radio shows mentioned earlier in another thread.
Old 18th June 2008, 19:24
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location

Admit to being a confirmed reader of those three magazines (plus the Rover) from about 1946 until 1952. Don't remember any adverts for radio schools, only for useful gadgets, like Seebackoscopes.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 18th June 2008, 21:00

I remember nagging my mum for a ukelele advertised in one of those comics. When it came, it was plastic, and lasted about five minutes before falling to bits.
Pat
Old 19th June 2008, 03:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
There was also a young football star but can't remember much about him. Happy days indeed.
Does Limp-along Leslie come to mind?

I used to get the Wizard which had a wartime series called "V for Vengeance."
Swapped the Wizard for the Adventure which was then swapped for the Rover.
Radio Officer adverts were two liners and I think it was mainly Brooks Bar who advertised. I wouldn't have known BB existed otherwise.
Other gadgets were a siren for a bike and conjuring tricks from Prestatyn N.Wales.
Old 19th June 2008, 04:44
Department: Engineering

I read all 4 of these comics. Wizard, Rover, Hotspur and Adventure. It was a misnomer to call them comics as they only had stories composed with words !
If you couldnt read you had no chance ! LOL. Some of the yarns I recall were.: "I Flew With Braddock" narrated by Sgt Mat Bourne the navigator. Braddock was a flight sgt who contantly refused a commission to stay with the boys. "Roy of The Rovers" and "The Tough of the Track"..Alf Tupper, the working classs athlete who trained with the snooty athletics club, and could outrun them all.
Yes these 'comics' lasted you all week..great reading.
Old 19th June 2008, 04:54

dom

and not forgetting Wilson in his one piece black running suit,lived in a cave if i remember
Old 19th June 2008, 06:48
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Can only remember one ad which was for a crystal radio. Pestered parent until they ordered one as a birthday present. It never worked and that was before cheap foreign imports. Killed my plans to listen to Radio Luxembourg under the bed sheets late at night.
Old 19th June 2008, 08:30

....and still no one remembers the "Go to sea as a Radio Officer" adverts.
Must be a figment of my imagination or possibly a visit to ebay to redeem my honour.
Just had a look at "Wizard" and there are still plenty around.
Will advise further.....
Old 19th June 2008, 10:01

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
I read all 4 of these comics. Wizard, Rover, Hotspur and Adventure. It was a misnomer to call them comics as they only had stories composed with words !
If you couldnt read you had no chance ! LOL. Some of the yarns I recall were.: "I Flew With Braddock" narrated by Sgt Mat Bourne the navigator. Braddock was a flight sgt who contantly refused a commission to stay with the boys. "Roy of The Rovers" and "The Tough of the Track"..Alf Tupper, the working classs athlete who trained with the snooty athletics club, and could outrun them all.
Yes these 'comics' lasted you all week..great reading.
Norm,
Me and my brother got all four of them on a Sunday morning. It was the only time my mother allowed us to read at the table, Sunday breakfast.
Every time I eat bacon and eggs with mushrooms, black pudding and fried bread, I am drawn back 50 odd years to those long leisurely breakfasts reading the "comics".
Pat
Old 19th June 2008, 10:09

My location
I used to read the Wizard and Adventure but don't remember adds.

George
Old 19th June 2008, 10:11

Brookes Bar was a comic in its own right. did 1st class there 3 monts. spent a lot of time in a pub across the road, was a higsons pub. good dart board
Old 19th June 2008, 11:25

My location
Our local barber used to have an excellent selection of the named publications for perusal while awaiting one's "short back and sides" when my Dad took me to the local Sweeney Todd.
This was the only time I got to see them and, since time was of an essence to read as much as possible, the adverts were largely ignored.
I seem to remember getting a "transistor" radio at one stage that was really a crystal set with something like an OA35 (?) diode as the "transistor".
Here's a place for nostalgia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History..._British_comic
I was an Eagle lad myself.

I've been trying to think where the idea came from to do a radio ticket and it may just have been a pointer from a careers officer that looked like a good skive before having to find a "real" job.

Kris

Last edited by K urgess; 19th June 2008 at 11:27..
Old 19th June 2008, 12:18

I dont remember any of the ads from these comics, but I do remember ads for the MN in the 'Boys Own Paper' I sent away for a 1 valve radio kit from an ad in that magazine, and when I built it it didnt work. I was very dissapointed. It was a few years later that I found out that the design was totally wrong.
Old 19th June 2008, 13:29
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib View Post
....... I seem to remember getting a "transistor" radio at one stage that was really a crystal set with something like an OA35 (?) diode as the "transistor". ...... I was an Eagle lad myself. . ... where the idea came from to do a radio ticket .....
I think I had one of those as well, perhaps from Philips ? There was a pinhole board into which you fitted little pillars with springs on to hold the component legs. I think I did manage to get something working, eventually.

I would agree, the Eagle was definitely the best lad's comic at that time.

My inspiration came from my father, who had been an R/O in the Norwegian MN during the war, not that he said very much about it, but as Norwood Tech was just down the road, and I got a maintenance grant (69 per term) but no accommodation grant it seemed sensible. As Kris says, until I could get a real job !
Old 19th June 2008, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
but I do remember ads for the MN in the 'Boys Own Paper'
I did move from "Wizard" to Eagle and BOP, what a culture shock that was!
BOP seemed to be a Baden Powell style tome whose history has been resurrected under the title. "Take a cold tub. Sir!"
Eagle with Dan Dare and Digby, not forgetting Mekon, apart from it's glossy facade seemed more comic than Wizard & co.
Perhaps BOP is where I saw the advert...
Old 19th June 2008, 14:14

Can remember reading all of those comics, the "Eagle" being my favorite, but can't remember any adverts for the MN.The only ones I can recall were body-building courses from Charles Atlas, " don't let the bad guys kick beach sand in your face" and Invisible Ink " send secret messages" LOL

"Kick beach sand in your face", they'd have a bloody hard job as I live in the centre of Glasgow!! The only chance would be if the family decided to spend the "Fair Fortnight" in a builders yard.

But I do remember entering a competion in one of them and being informed that I had won a prize. If memory serves me right the top prize was a trip to Hollywood. Boy, was I excited, could'nt wait for the postman each day.Then eventually the day came and through the letter-box came this big brown envelope. I ripped it open only to find that I had won a "Consolation Prize", which turned out to be an autographed photograph of Rory Calhoun.
Times were tough in Glasgow in those days!!
JamesM
Old 19th June 2008, 15:23

Quote:
Does Limp-along Leslie come to mind?

I used to get the Wizard which had a wartime series called "V for Vengeance."
Swapped the Wizard for the Adventure which was then swapped for the Rover.
Radio Officer adverts were two liners and I think it was mainly Brooks Bar who advertised. I wouldn't have known BB existed otherwise.
Other gadgets were a siren for a bike and conjuring tricks from Prestatyn N.Wales.
Yes that lads rings a bell1 (make a good lookout!). The other lad I rememebr was probably the one mentioned eslewhere - the long skinny guy with the balk 'spike' haircut, bare feet and the black leotard with cut off legs and short sleeves (sounds a bit like a modern lager lout). I also rememebr Rockfist Rogan RAF.
Old 19th June 2008, 15:29

My location
Wilson, quite a way ahead of his time
http://www.illustrationartgallery.co..._comic_96.html
Old 19th June 2008, 16:19
Active: 1966 - 1987

Was it the Eagle that had an excellent centre page showing a exploded diagram of perhaps a ship/aircraft/tank/train etc.?
Old 19th June 2008, 17:50

My location
That's the one, Mike.
Plus plans for all sorts of great projects.
There went another afternoon when I should have been doing other things.
A pleasant couple of hours reading my Eagle Annuals.
Cheers
Kris
Old 19th June 2008, 18:02
Active: 1964 - 1997

My location
Anybody remember the Victor? came out on Thursdays along with the Hotspur.
Old 19th June 2008, 18:07

My location
Amazing what you find when you're not really looking.
http://www.victorhornetcomics.co.uk/index.html
Cheers
Kris