France Fenwick's coasters - Ships Nostalgia
18:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

France Fenwick's coasters

User Tag List

Old 8th January 2009, 09:54

France Fenwick's coasters

The Sherwood,of France Fenwick,any one remember the company and what happened please
jumi5
Old 8th January 2009, 11:14
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1973

I can recall the company but not particular ships. France Fenwick & Co. Ltd. was formed by a merger between Fenwick & Co., (including Fenwick Stobart & Co.), and William France of Goole in 1901. Fenwick & Co. was an established shipping company engaged in the Australian wool trade from 1834 and later in the East Coast coal trade. William France also owned colliers in 1901. During the early part of the 20th century they built up a fleet of deep sea tramps in addition to their colliers. Both these trades were in severe recession by 1975 and the company was wound up.
Regards,
Alastair
Old 9th January 2009, 04:49
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1986

My location
The fleet went into management by Houlder Bros.in1972 and was eventually sold off in 1974.An article in the magazine "Shipping,today and yesterday" of April 2008 has a very good article on this company,one I was proud to sail with for 19 years.
Old 9th January 2009, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastairjs View Post
I can recall the company but not particular ships. France Fenwick & Co. Ltd. was formed by a merger between Fenwick & Co., (including Fenwick Stobart & Co.), and William France of Goole in 1901. Fenwick & Co. was an established shipping company engaged in the Australian wool trade from 1834 and later in the East Coast coal trade. William France also owned colliers in 1901. During the early part of the 20th century they built up a fleet of deep sea tramps in addition to their colliers. Both these trades were in severe recession by 1975 and the company was wound up.
Regards,
Alastair
Thank you alistair for that
mike bishop
jumi5
Old 9th January 2009, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Bass View Post
The fleet went into management by Houlder Bros.in1972 and was eventually sold off in 1974.An article in the magazine "Shipping,today and yesterday" of April 2008 has a very good article on this company,one I was proud to sail with for 19 years.
Thank you Brian for your reply
jumi5
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:09

Sherwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumi5 View Post
The Sherwood,of France Fenwick,any one remember the company and what happened please
jumi5
Hi, I sailed on the SHERWOOD of France Fenwick in 1955/6. I see from my discharge bk first trip was 30/9/55 to 2o/11/55 last of three entries 13/2/56 to 10/3/56 Home trade articles running mostly Antwerp/Rotterdam/Southampton/Dover Joined her in London first off sent by Dock St pool to join her at Deadmans Creek, couldnt believe that and had hell of a job to find it. Was near Surrey Docks,Bermondsey and Deptford. She was a really OLD collier grt 1530, midship tall woodbine funnel. Galley under funnel open doors to open deck and coal bunkers,filthy in all respects,coal burning stove. Meat kept in ICE BOX on stern,no fridges once ice blocks meltedso did meat.... .. Crew accommodation very rough in foscle, crew rough too mostly making good DRs etc. I was steward, crew total about 18 I think. Also sailed on another of theirs also very old the DALEWOOD earlier in 1955. Short trips though which is why I was there to get home to see the girlfriend more often
Stuart Henderson
Old 22nd January 2009, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumi5 View Post
jumi5
Hello,I remember France Fenwick very well, I sailed on the Dalewood on her first trip from her builders in Sunderland,I also sailed on the Birdwood a small collier,Joined her in South Shields and loaded coal in Hull for Kitimat in Canada, and then for the next six months sailed between the west and east coast of the States and Canada.six times through the Panama canal. Really good trip with brilliant memories,
Old 10th August 2009, 00:20

I would like to add my grandfathers name Charlie Thompson he was on the dalewood torpeadod in ww2 he the sailed as bosun on the Hawkwood for 18 years probian1
Old 10th August 2009, 06:13

dom

did four months on the Portwood runing Immingham Rotterdam with coal,hard grafter with hatchboards but she paid well,captain said she had a bad history of drownings,there was three while i was on her
Old 10th August 2009, 08:53

i remember lots of france fenwick ships comming to blyth before i went to sea ended up as donkeyman on the arnewood1956signed off in dieppe on sunday 10 dec the old man told me my brother had been killed in blyth shipyard but i jioned her again on the 28 jan 1960 for to take her to the tyne to lay up for sale she was sold to the greeks albert,s.i
Old 11th September 2009, 18:14

I Sailed On The Dalewood As Ab For Ten Months1970.a Good Ship With A High Stern Superstrycture.you Almost Stopped Against A Head Sea.my First 7 Trips We Left Blyth On Monday Then Back To Blyth On Friday. I Just Lived 5 Miles Away So It Was Like A Shore Job The Money Was Good To .had Some Good Times In Blyth
Old 5th October 2009, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleccrichton1982 View Post
I Sailed On The Dalewood As Ab For Ten Months1970.a Good Ship With A High Stern Superstrycture.you Almost Stopped Against A Head Sea.my First 7 Trips We Left Blyth On Monday Then Back To Blyth On Friday. I Just Lived 5 Miles Away So It Was Like A Shore Job The Money Was Good To .had Some Good Times In Blyth
I think my late father A.J.Falconer sailed as mate on the Dalewood around that time,did you know him?
Old 5th October 2009, 14:07

Sailed on the Chelwood 30/11/50 - 21/09/51. Tyne/Blyth/Sunderland/Immingham
to Thames and once to Ipswich. Recall that the funnel mark was FF think this was changed to WF in later years. Captain was Jim Clark a real gentleman
Happy days
Bert.
Old 6th January 2010, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ray Tomee View Post
I think my late father A.J.Falconer sailed as mate on the Dalewood around that time,did you know him?
I REMBER THE MATE BEING A SMALL MAN CANT REMEMBER HIS NAME.THE SECOND MATE WAS QUITE A STOUT MAN FROM SCOTLAND,BOTH GOOD MEN SORRY I CANT HELP YOU ANYMORE.BUT MEMORY NOT AS GOOD AS IT WAS.
Old 6th January 2010, 16:01

During my year on the Chelwood it was often mentioned that FF ordered Decca Radars for the entire fleet. Can anyone confirm this and were they the first British all radar ships. Many years later there was a Radar in Readheads store with a serial number which would be among the very early models
Bert.
Old 12th August 2012, 18:40

France Fenwick et al.

Following on from the interest in Stevie Clarkes, I thought it might be relevant to extend the discussion to another of the 'Old Timers' now long gone, but of whom I have many fond memories. The attached photo's are of the SS ' Birdwood ' of London, Circa late fifties / early sixties. You will note that in one picture the funnel markings are 'FF' - ' France Fenwick ' while in the other the funnel marking is identical except that it is 'WF' 'William France '.
Personally I did Blyth to Ventspils (Latvia), with coal, Ventpils to Immingham with steel coils ( like a pendulum under the boat !) Immingham to Ghent with coal, winter and spring of '62/'63 then back to Immingham and onward ! Now that was a run to put hairs on yer chest ! One to keep the chat running in the public bar !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Birdwood- szd.jpg (72.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Birdwood-szd 2.jpg (85.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 13th August 2012, 00:29
Department: Navigation

The original funnel markings were WF but when they started going deep-sea it was changed to FF as this identified more with the company being known as France Fenwicks.

"I was there"
Old 11th September 2012, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ray Tomee View Post
I knew A J Falconer who sailed on the Dalewood into Blyth. Can you tell me Ray the connection between you and A J Falconer? I knew him as Alexander John, First mate on the Dalewood.
Old 17th January 2014, 16:42
Old Sea Dog

France Fenwick

I will be grateful if anyone can identify this ship, not sure of the date of the photo and I can't make out the name on the bow.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unknown coaster.jpg (76.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 18th January 2014, 01:07
Department: Navigation

I think it is the Helmwood
Old 18th January 2014, 09:11

Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd.
1901-1974
London

A fleet of one hundred colliers was operated by this company over 75 years from its
incorporation on 10th July,1901 by the merger of three long-established shipping concerns.

The North East connection was through Fenwick, Stobart & Co. Ltd. formed in 1893.
Ralph Fenwick was an investor in the Wearmouth colliery on the north bank of the Wear when it was completed in 1835 and also it's London sales agent. He owned the wooden brig Fume in 1835 which carried 350 tons of coal each voyage between the Wear and London under the command of Capt. William Crosby. Ralph Fenwick later sent Capt. Crosby as his agent to Australia, with William Crosby & Co. becoming successful in Hobart, Melbourne and Fremantle over the next century. A letter still exists written in October,1843 by Ralph from London to William Byers of Monkwearmouth reporting that day’s coal market and the progress of Boreas and Simeon, the latter owned by Byers. Ralph continued selling Wearmouth 'black diamonds' in London and took a partner named Laroche in 1850, who died in Paris in 1861, when the business was restyled as Fenwick & Co. He had ordered two new steam colliers from the Palmer yard for delivery in 1855 as Black Diamond and Vedra and was the major shareholder and manager of more colliers built in the 1860s; Belmont 771/65, Fatfield 658/68, Ethel 556/66, Amy 868/70, Ernest 726/70, Nina 783/70 and Achilles 1426/72.
The fleet in 1876 consisted of seven steam colliers and three sailing barques.

C. R. Fenwick was the son of Ralph Fenwick and his death in February, 1888 led to the
liquidation of Fenwick & Co. in 1893 with the business taken over by Fenwick, Stobart & Co. Ltd. with Douglas Stobart, J.E. Champney and R.E. Pattinson as managing directors.
Wearmouth 982/94 was one of six Fenwick colliers contributed to the new company in 1901.
The Stobart family had owned a few shares in the early Fenwick steam colliers, and also acted
as agents for several successive Earls of Durham and their Lambton collieries. Fenwick & Co.
had purchased William France & Co. Ltd. in 1890 for £65,000, which ran several ships each
week between Goole and London, carrying both coal and general cargo. Wool from the
colonies was one of the main cargoes northwards along with many other types of general
cargo. Coal formed the major cargo southwards to Stanton's wharf in London, with usually one hold left available for general cargo.
The third constituent of the new company was H. C. Pelly & Co. formed by Cecil Pelly in the early 1880s with a fleet of colliers with names mostly with a 'Wood’ suffix He chartered most of his fleet to William Cory & Son and the London gas companies, and the remainder to William France for his Goole/London trade. He contributed eight steam colliers to the new France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd in 1901.

The new company thus began operations with 15 colliers trading from the Wear and
Goole to London. The capital of the company was £300,000 held equally in ordinary shares
and preference shares of £5 each, with a further £150,000 of debenture stock which had been
repaid by 1919. The first directors were Douglas Stobart, Vivian H Smith (later Lord Bicester), J.E. Champney, C.F.H. Leslie, R.E. Pattinson and H. Cecil Pelly. The Sunderland office of the new company was run jointly with Taylor & Sanderson, and continued the overseas interests of Fenwick, Stobart & Co. Ltd. such as the Australian wool trade with the barque Ethel. Eventually this Sunderland business became France, Fenwick (Tyne & Wear) Co. Ltd., operators of tugs on the Wear and Tyne and which also undertook deep sea towage.

Holmwood was the first new collier acquired by the company at the end of 1901, having been built on-spec by the Northumberland yard at Howdon-on-Tyne. She was a self trimmer but with an absolute minimum of accomodation for the crew, and was lost in 1910 in a collision with an Aberdeen coastal passenger ship off the Sunk Lightvessel. She had a sister built at Sunderland in 1904 as Sherwood, and was followed by a series of colliers from the Hylton yard of Osbourne, Graham & Co., of Sunderland, beginning with Needwood in 1904.
Three of a class of seven similar colliers from this yard were sold on completion to the Union
Steamship Company of New Zealand for the Tasman Sea coal trade. However their water
ballast capacity was reduced to less than 500 tons with the result that they were difficult to handle in ballast and were frequently blown off course. A change to other Sunderland
shipbuilders was made eg. John Blumer, Robert Thompson and S. P. Austin and eight more
successful engines amidships colliers of up to 3,500 dwt were completed for the company
before the outbreak of the Great War.

Their cargoes were consigned to the London Gas Works and to household coal merchants such as C. & E. Morrison at Dowell‘s Wharf and long term charters were secured with William Cory & Son, Lord Londonderry and Sir James Joicey, with Fenwick & Co. having been heavily involved with the sale in 1896 of the Earl of Durham's collieries to Joicey.
Coal was also carried to the Copenhagen Gas Works, returning with timber from Baltic ports.
The old Pyman collier Raithwaite Hall of 1869 was owned between 1906/09 and acted as a
lighter for cargoes of dates at Basrah in Persia to transfer them over the harbour Bar for
loading into deep sea steamers, she was sold to Frank Strick & Co. Ltd. who took over this
Persian Gulf trade. Hawkwood of 1900 was wrecked on 12th January, 1913 on Speeton Cliffs,
Yorkshire while on a voyage from Granton to London with coal in mysterious circumstances,
She was sighted by a trawler in bad weather with a fairly serious but not dangerous list, the
crew having abandoned ship in the lifeboats with no sign of life onboard. The crew had
obviously persuaded the Master to abandon ship, but no trace of the boats or crew was ever
found, and the ship drifted ashore within a day at Speeton. A mystery of the sea and a case
where it was far better to stay with the ship to the bitter end. Arden stranded off Ushant in
January, 1911 when homeward bound from Decido to Rotterdam with iron ore, she was half
owned with Lord Joicey.

In August, 1914 the Admiralty requested the company to hold its entire fleet of colliers
at the disposal of the Government to act as fleet colliers, and contracts were broken with the
Gas Companies and other customers, some of whom built their own collier fleets when hostilities were finished. Directors James Stobart, Kenneth R. Pelly and J . Leslie were
commissioned into the Army and served with distinction, while C.F.H. Leslie served with the
American Food Commission.
Seven foreign colliers were managed on behalf of the Government including Ruth and Anna Sofie and three American-built standard ships, three of these and six owned colliers being lost to enemy action together with 60 officers and men:
28.3.1917 Wychwood Torpedoed and sunk 4 miles SSW of Arklow L.V.
1.5.1917 Ladywood Captured and sunk by bombs 15miles SW of Wolf Rock
29.7.1917 Bestwood Collision and sunk in convoy off S. Bishop
13.12.1917 Arnewood Mined and sunk 4 miles ESE of Sleat Point, Skye.
17.2.1918 Pinewood Captured and sunk by gunfire 15 miles from Minehead.
26.2.1918 Dalewood Torpedoed and sunk 10 miles Sw of Isle of Man, 15 lost.

The capital of the company was increased to £900,000 in 1919, with £0.75M in ordinary shares and £0.15M in preference shares.
Two standard colliers of the three island type building at the Crown yard in Sunderland were completed in 1919 as Whitwood and Deerwood.
Two existing colliers were purchased at auction for a total of £139,000 and renamed Braywood and Bearwood. They had been interned at Hamburg on the outbreak of war, and subsequently used in the Baltic by the Germans.
Dalewood of 4600 dwt was then ordered from J.T. Eltringham & Co. of South Shields at a cost of £162,000 for the Continental trades within the Bordeaux/Copenhagen range but proved a poor ship, and additional strength had to be built into her after a few voyages in 1921. The slump of 1921/22 made her unprofitable and she was sold to a German owner in 1923 and renamed Bernhard Blumenfeld. She was captured as a prize at a German Baltic port in 1945 and came back under company management for a year, later she was transferred to Russia as Tambov and converted into a mother ship for Russian trawlers.
Lockwood of 1896 was lost by stranding in the River Witham in 1922, and was abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss, later being refloated and broken up.

The Goole trade was strengthened in November, 1923 by the purchase of Denaby & Cadeby Main Collieries Ltd., which became absorbed in 1927 into Yorkshire Amalgamated Collieries, the company continued to act as agents for Y.A.C. until 1939. New collier prices had fallen greatly due to slump conditions, and specifications for four raised quarterdeck types were issued, four of 3300 dwt and two of 2900 dwt. These were completed in 1923/24 as
Helmwood, Dashwood, Clanwood, Kentwood, Fernwood and Moorwood at the Barrow yard of Vickers and the Sunderland yard of Laing, Moorwood of 1924 later stranded at Ushant in
October, 1933 while on a voyage from Methil to Bordeaux with coal.

H. Cecil Pelly resigned as Chairman and Managing Director at the end of 1925, and was succeeded as Kenneth R. Pelly as Managing Director and Sir George Higgins as Chairman Kenneth R. Pelly became Vice Chairman in 1935 and later took over as Chairman and Managing Director of the company. Coal freight rates were bad during 1927 and many
company ships were laid up. However, older colliers needed replacing with more efficient ,
tonnage, and a change to the engines aft design was made for the next class of 4160 dwt colliers, Chelwood and Chatwood to be completed at the Wear Dockyard of S.P. Austin in 1928/29. They were used mostly in the washed coal trade from the Humber to Continental
ports. Kirkwood was another sister completed at the Hawthorn, Leslie yard on the Tyne in
March, 1930, but was unfortunately run down at anchor on her third voyage in the Elbe on 26th April, 1930 by the American liner President Harding and sank.

The Depression years were hard years in the coal trade with collier values slumping to
all time lows. Two colliers were purchased from H. Harrison Ltd., London for a total of
£12,900 in 1932/33 as Seaton and Taunton and were renamed Sherwood and Eastwood.
Bushwood and Arnewood of 3540 dwt joined the fleet during 1930/31 and a fourth collier of 4200 dwt was completed by Austins in 1931 as Dalewood. She survived World War 2 to give
27 years of service to the company, and eventually went for scrap at La Spezia in 1972.
The similar engines aft Wychwood joined the fleet in 1934 from Austin‘s yard at a cost of £41,900 slightly cheaper than her pre Depression sisters. The smaller Hawkwood of 2970 dwt, the purchased Ashtree renamed Kirkwood, and two very small colliers of 1300 dwt, Phylwood and Betswood, completed the newbuilding programme in 1935/36. The company continued to pay a reduced dividend on the Ordinary shares throughout the Depression, and the average
dividend over the 20 year period from 1920 was 5.5%.

Rising freight rates in 1936 led to the construction of two more small colliers of 965 dwt at the Henry Robb yard at Leith, Rookwood and Lockwood. Three good looking engines aft colliers of varying sizes were completed at the Austin yard in 1937/38 as Goodwood, Gwynwood and Monkwood with the last named giving 21 years service to the company.
Gwynwood was built for the Goole trade to give a fleet of 24 colliers of 67,650 dwt at that
time. This included the recently purchased Marlwood of 1924 which had been completed as
Fellside for Connell & Grace and had been on charter to the company as SwandaIe in
the Goole trade, and was to continue on the Goole liner service until broken up at Dunston-
on-Tyne in 1957.

The fleet suffered heavily at the hands of the enemy during World War 2 losing a dozen colliers and 29 lives :
10.9.1939 Goodwood torpedoed and sunk off Flamborough Head o.v.Tyne/Bayonne with coal
3.8.1940 Wychwood mined and sunk 4 miles from Shipwash L.V. o.v. Blyth/London with coal
3.1.1941 Pinewood mined and sunk off Southend pier o.v. London/Blytyh in ballast
4.2.1941 Gwynwood mined and sunk off the Humber o.v. London/ Sunderland in ballast
10.6.1941 Moorwood bombed and sunk off Whitby o.v. London/Blyth in ballast
25.6.1941 Dashwood bombed and sunk to NE of Cromer o.v. London/ Sunderland in ballast
6.8.1941 Deerwood wrecked on Haisbro' sand, one of six losses in line in convoy
1.1.1942 Kentwood mined and sunk in Hearty Knoll channel o.v. Blyth/London with coal
26.1.1942 Hawkwood wrecked in Tees Bay o.v. Blyth/London with coal
23.4.1942 Chatwood mined and sunk off The Wash o.v. Tyne/London with coal
18.9.1942 Fernwood bombed and sunk at Dartmouth
22.2.1945 Goodwood torpedoed and sunk off Lowestoft ov Blyth/London with coal.

Bushwood of 1930 was converted into a mine detector ship in 1940 and did not resume
commercial trading. Betswood and Phylwood of 1936 were on long term charter to the
Shoreham Shipping & Coal Co. Ltd., with Betswood under Capt. J.H. Potts sailing in more
Channel convoys than any other collier as part of the ‘coal scuttle brigade'.

Coastwise Colliers Ltd. was formed in March, 1946 by W. Cory & Son, Stephenson Clarke, and France Fenwick in order to long term charter colliers to the County of London Electricity Company. A sizeable fleet of a dozen colliers was quickly built up by newbuildings and transfers from the three fleets, and they were given names with a 'Col ’ prefix and managed by France,Fenwick.

However with the nationalisation of the electricity industry in 1949, all were returned to their
parent fleets, including the new Coleford of 1948 which became Bestwood.
Ten ships had been completed for the company during the war, together with an unusual designed ship for the carriage of gun turrets, Sound Fisher, completed by Austin in 1941. A joint venture had been set-up with James Fisher & Sons Ltd. of Barrow for two such ships, the Fisher ship being Sea Fisher. They both had extremely long and wide hatchways at 76 feet in length with circular bulges on both sides to take the turrets. Despite near misses, both ships survived the war, the company ship became Colnbrook in 1946 and Portwood in 1949.

Four standard colliers of 2900 dwt were then purchased in 1946 and renamed Arnewood, Braywood, Dashwood and Kentwood and were converted to oil firing.
Arnewood and Dashwood, now with greater range, made occasional Transatlantic voyages to Canada to take part in the St. Lawrence coal trade in the summer.
Two engines arnidships Baltic timber carriers were completed by Austin‘s in 1949/50 as Goodwood and Wychwood. However the British demand for pit props and sawn wood was mostly carried in German owned ships, and the pair spent a lot of time bringing bulk sugar from the West Indies, and esparto grass from North Africa at highly remunerative rates. Wvchwood was lost on one of these voyages in August,1955 when she stranded 10 miles from Gibbs Hill Light while on a voyage from Walton (NS) to Trinidad with baryta, and sank off Bermuda while under tow.
Goodwood was initially a coal burner but was soon converted to oil firing for longer range, and this pair of engines amidships ships with good cargo handling gear roamed the tramp trades of the world.
Goodwood caused more interest in 1959 when she was re-engined with Pescara free piston
gas turbines by Smith‘s Dock Co. Ltd, but was sold in 1963 after 14 years service to the company and renamed Teti N.

The fleet had recovered by 1954 to one of 24 colliers and tramps of 63,500 dwt, with
four ships on order at North East coast shipyards. This total included the new engines aft
raised quarterdeck tramps Rushwood and Rookwood of 7860 dwt completed by the John
Readhead yard in South Shields in 1952/53. This pair had five holds with two masts and four
derricks with a pair of kingposts with more derricks behind the midships bridge.
Consideration had been given for some time for an entry into the deep sea tramp trades so that
the company would not be entirely dependent on the decreasing coal trade.
The new tramps were built with an eye on the West Indies bulk sugar trade but sugar rates fell to an unacceptable level and the pair were employed in Canadian waters and general tramping.
They were fitted with triple expansion engines with Bauer Wach exhaust turbines to give a
service speed of 13 knots.

Two engines amidships tramps were then completed by the William Pickersgill yard in
Sunderland in 1955/56 as Dartwood and Deerwood of 10100 dwt, and were motorships powered by 4 cylinder NEM Doxford oil engines.
Two large down river colliers were completed by Austin‘s at this time as Bearwood and Helmwood of 4550 dwt and were steamers. Bearwood was given no cargo handling gear, but Helmwood had a full set of eight derricks on two masts, and spent some time on charter in the St. Lawrence in summer.

Comben Longstaffs Lincolnbrook of 1949 was purchased in 1955 and renamed Gwynwood
but was sold in 1958 to return to Comben,Longstaff management as Harfry.

The company funnel colours were changed in 1956 from WF on the white central band to FF.

The fleet in 1959 consisted of 18 colliers and tramps, still under the Chairmanship of
Kenneth R. Pelly, with the other directors including Viscount Runciman of Doxford, A.D.
Pelly, T. McEwan, J. Leslie and Harold Peake. The company's fifth deep sea tramp was
completed later that year at the South Shields yard of Readhead as Granwood of 11340 dwt
fitted with a 7 cylinder oil engine of 6300 bhp giving a service speed of 14 knots.
The Sulzer engined Longfellow of 5625 dwt was purchased in 1961 and renamed Bushwood, and was used in both the coal trades and general tramping. A large Spanish built tramp of 9450 grt was completed at the Bilbao yard as Chatwood in April,1963, with five holds, four of them in
front ofthe bridge and a total of 17 derricks on four masts including one heavy lift derrick of 60 tons capacity.
Other newcomers that year were the dredger Gritwood and the former
Windsorbrook which was purchased from Comben Longstaff and renamed Nordgas for heavy
lift cargoes associated with the North Sea gas installations.

The last steam colliers in the fleet, Helmwood and Bearwood of 1955/56 were sold in 1968, along with Birdwood of 1945 which had been converted into a motorship to prolong her
life and to participate in the deep sea trades. The fleet at the beginning of 1969 consisted of
five deep sea tramps Dartwood, Deerwood, Granwood, Chatwood and the recently purchased
Sherwood, and three motor colliers for the falling North East coal trade the sisters Chelwood
and Dalewood of 1964 from the Bartram yard and Bushwood formerly Longfellow. Chatwood
was sold on 24th February,1969 to Messageries Maritime of Marseilles while lying at
Yokohama for use on Indian Ocean liner trades. Later that year, the bulk carrier Star
Pinewood of 29,500 dwt was completed by Cammell, Laird on Merseyside and fitted with
gantry cranes in Norway to operate in the Norwegian controlled Star consortium.

In 1972 she was the flagship of the fleet alongside Dalewood, Chelwood and
Sherwood. However the company was gradually withdrawing from shipowning, and the fleet
was managed by Houlder Brothers until it was sold in 1974 to the Jessel Securities finance
group headed by O.R. Jessel.
The remaining four ships were then sold off, Star Pinewood going to the Blandford Shipping Co. Ltd. (Fred Olsen) as Star Bulford, and Sherwood was sold to Greek owners and renamed as Nisyros Era. However the two sister colliers Chelwood and Dalewood were acquired separately by Houlder and by the Hadley Shipping Co. Ltd. to become Oswestry Grange and Cymbeline respectively They continued in the North East coal trade until ousted by a trio of 22,000 dwt super colliers owned by the CEGB in 1985.
A great black diamond fleet and in the top three in size of fleet was now no more.

Source:
Black Diamond Fleets by Norman L. Middlemiss
Old 18th January 2014, 09:13

FLEETLIST

POPLAR (1901-1903)
Iron single screw steam cargo ship
O.N. 91925 830gt 180 x 36.1 feet
C.2 Cyl. by Central Marine Engineering Works, Hartlepool
18.5.1886 launched, 1886 completed by William Gray & Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool Yard No. 313 as POPLAR for F. Green & Co., London. 1888 sold to Sheffield Neave, London. 1890 sold to H. C. Pelly, London. 1894 transferred East London S.S. Co. Ltd. (H. C. Pelly & Co.), London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1903 sold to Commercial Gas Company, London. 1912 sold to Keep's S.S. & Lighterage Co. Ltd. (H. Keep), London. 1912 sold to William P. Annear, Cardiff. 1913 sold to F. Lofaro & Co., Torre del Greco renamed COMM. C. BRUNO. 1916 sold to Carlo Caprotti, Venice. 20.11.1917 captured and scuttled by German submarine U.63 near Cape Spartaviento, Sardinia.

STEPNEY (1901-1905)
O.N. 91913 688gt 160 x 35 feet
C.2 Cyl. by Central Marine Engineering Works, Hartlepool
17.4.1886 launched, 1886 completed by William Gray & Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool Yard No. 311 as STEPNEY for F. Green & Co., London. 1888 sold to Sheffield Neave, London. 1890 sold to H. C. Pelly, London. 1894 transferred to East London S.S. Co. Ltd. (H. C. Pelly & Co.), London . 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1905 sold to F. V. Lauder (G. H. Storch), London. 1906 transferred to Siberian Trading Co. Ltd. (F. V. Lauder), London. 1907 sold to F. H. Johnson, London later renamed PEI TAI. 1908 sold to Ogawa Yashiro, Hakodate renamed OGAWA MARU. 1917 sold to Narasaki Heitaro, Hakodate / Amagasaki. 20.12.1922 wrecked in the Hirato Strait on passage Sasebo for Osaka with iron pipes.
NORTHWOOD (1901-1924)
O.N. 95515 764gt 62.6 x 9.5 metres (205.5 x 31.2 x 11.0 feet)
T.3 Cyl. by
22.10.1888 launched, 1.1889 completed by Palmer’s Shipbuilding & Iron Co. Ltd., Jarrow Yard No. 605 as NORTHWOOD for H. C. Pelly, London. 1894 transferred to East London S.S. Co. Ltd. (H. C. Pelly & Co.), London . 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1924 sold to A. Voyajoglu renamed PROREFS. 1930 sold to S. Kontoyanni renamed TEREZA CONDOYANNI. 1934 broken up in Italy.

RATCLIFF (1901-1906)
O.N. 101952 802gt 51.8 x 11 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
23.9.1892 launched, 12.1892 completed by Short Bros., Sunderland Yard No. 223 as RATCLIFF for H.C. Pelly & Co., London. 1894 transferred to East London S.S. Co. Ltd. (H. C. Pelly & Co.), London . 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1906 sold to Wandsworth & Putney Gas. 1911 sold to Embiricos Bros, Greece renamed STENIES. 1912 sold to N. Nomicos, Greece renamed ANDREAS MOUSSOURIS. 1916 sold to A.A.Theofani renamed ADELFI F.& S. THEOFANI. 1927 sold to USSR renamed PETR STAROSTIN. 1960 deleted from register.

LOCKWOOD (1) (1901-1922)
Steel single screw steam cargo ship
O.N. 105874 1,143gt 71.9 x 9.8 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
25.8.1896 launched, 9.1896 completed by J. Blumer & Co., North Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 136 as LOCKWOOD for H.C. Pelly & Co., London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 28.2.1922 wrecked in the River Witham and broken up.

ROOKWOOD (1) (1901-1916)
O.N. 105860 1,143gt 71.9 x 9.8 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
24.7.1896 launched, 8.1896 completed by J. Blumer & Co., North Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 137 as ROOKWOOD for H.C. Pelly & Co., London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1916 sold to Gas , Light & Coke Co. Ltd., London renamed FIRELIGHT. 1.1.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UC.29 1¾ miles E from North Tyne Pier on voyage Tyne to London.

GWYNWOOD (1) (1901-1930)
O.N. 110088 1,084gt 64.8 x 10.7 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
16.2.1899 launched, 3.1899 completed by W. Dobson & Co., Walker on Tyne Yard No. 102 as GWYNWOOD for H.C. Pelly & Co., London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1930 sold to Napoletana, Italy renamed FUCSIA. 1934 sold to G. Montella, Italy renamed SACRO CUORE. 2.12.1942 sunk by submarine.

HAWKWOOD (1) (1901-1913)
O.N. 112620 1,155gt 71.6 x 10.1 x 5.5 metres
T.3 Cyl. by J. Dickenson & Sons, Sunderland
21.10.1899 launched, 11.1899 completed by J. Blumer & Co., North Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 152 as HAWKWOOD for H.C. Pelly & Co., London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 12.1913 wrecked Speeton Cliffs on voyage Granton to London.

MONKWOOD (1) (1901-1916)
O.N. 112687 1,141gt 71.7 x 10.7 metres
T.3 Cyl. by J. Dickenson & Sons, Sunderland
16.3.1900 launched, 4.1900 completed by J. Blumer & Co., North Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 153 as MONKWOOD Steam Colliers Ltd. (H.C. Pelly & Co.), London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1916 sold to Gas , Light & Coke Co. Ltd., London renamed GLOW. 22.7.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UB.21 4 miles SE x E from Robin Hood Bay on voyage Tyne to London.

WEARMOUTH (1901-1903)
O.N. 104817 982gt 64.5 x 9.8 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
14.11.1894 launched, 12.1894 completed by Strand Slipway Co., Monkwearmouth Yard No. 91 as WEARMOUTH for Fenwick Stobart & Co., London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1903 sold to T. Nolson & Co. renamed BELGICA. 1919 sold to J. Stern renamed GLORIA. 1922 renamed MARECHAL LYAUTEY. 1926 sold to G. Mirabella renamed SARA MINNOLA. 1929 sold to P. de Gennaro renamed TOSCA. 1934 sold to G. Parisi renamed FRANCESCA R. 1937 sold to R. Romano renamed FERTILIA. 30.1.1942 torpedoed and sunk by submarine near Brindisi.

HYLTON (1901-1911)
O.N. 108235 1,484gt 76.3 x 10.9 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
16.6.1897 launched, 7.1897 completed by Strand Slipway Co., Monkwearmouth Yard No. 93 as HYLTON for Fenwick Stobart & Co., London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1911 sold to Argentina de Pesca converted into a whalefactory ship renamed HARPON.20.10.1917 damaged by gunfire from submarine and driven ashore off Morocco.

ABCHURCH (1901-1914)
O.N. 110007 1,621gt 78.7 x 11.2 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
13.10.1898 launched, 11.1898 completed by Strand Slipway Co., Monkwearmouth Yard No. 94 as ABCHURCH for Fenwick Stobart & Co., London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1914 sold to Mitsui Bussan K.K., Kobe, Japan renamed GOKESAN MARU. 18.2.1944 wrecked on Hokkaido.

STANTON (1901-1931)
O.N. 110165 1,097gt 64.6 x 10.7 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
8.7.1899 launched, 8.1899 completed by Strand Slipway Co., Monkwearmouth Yard No. 99 as STANTON for Fenwick Stobart & Co., London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1931 sold to L. Palomba, Italy renamed LEONARDO PALOMBA. 22.9.1942 torpedoed shelled and sunk by submarine.

BRENDA (1901-1924)
O.N. 112640 1,152gt 67.1 x 10.7 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
6.11.1899 launched, 12.1899 completed by Strand Slipway Co., Monkwearmouth Yard No. 101 as BRENDA for Fenwick Stobart & Co., London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1924 sold to G.R. Bianchi, Italy renamed BIANCA BIANCHI. 1925 sold to A. Pollio renamed PALLADE. 1950 sold to M. Attanasio renamed MARIO ATTANASIO. 8.1954 broken up at Savona.

NINA (1901-1930)
O.N. 112665 1,082gt 64.7 x 10.7 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
28.12.1899 launched, 1.1900 completed by W. Dobson & Co., Walker on Tyne Yard No. 109 as NINA for Fenwick Stobart & Co., London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1930 sold to Domenico Laudiero, Naples. 1930 sold to Soc Partenopea Anon. di Nav., Naples renamed ILEX. 1931 sold to Soc Napoletana Anon Impresa Marittime, Naples. 1934 sold to Gennaro Montella, Torre del Greco renamed SIBILLA. 7.1944 scuttled Leghorn south entrance and later broken up.

ARDEN (1901-1911)
O.N. 112810 1,527gt 76.5 x 10.9 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
17.1.1901 launched, 3.1901 completed by Strand Slipway Co., Monkwearmouth Yard No. 104 as ARDEN for Fenwick Stobart & Co. and Sir James Joicey, London. 1901 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 19.1.1911 wrecked off Ushant near Plogoff on voyage Decido to Rotterdam.

HOLMWOOD (1902-1910)
O.N. 115928 1,327gt 70.1 x 11 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
11.1902 completed by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co., Howdon-upon-Tyne Yard No. 102 as HOLMWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 5.1.1910 sunk in collision on voyage Tyne for London with coal.

SHERWOOD (1) (1904-1916)
O.N. 118369 1,353gt 70.1 x 11 metrres
T.3 Cyl. by
17.12.1903 launched, 1.1904 completed by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., South Dock Sunderland Yard No. 221 as SHERWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1916 sold to Gas , Light & Coke Co. Ltd., London renamed SUNTRAP. 7.11.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UB.22 2½ miles E from Robin Hood Bay on voyage Tyne to London.

NEEDWOOD (1) (1904-1905)
O.N. 120467 1,977gt, 1,246nt 85.2 x 12.2 x 5.5 metres (279.5 x 40.1 x 18.1 feet)
T.3 Cyl. by Osbourne, Graham & Co., North Hylton, Sunderland
8.10.1904 launched, 10.1904 completed by Osbourne, Graham & Co., North Hylton, Sunderland Yard No. 123 as NEEDWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1905 sold to Union Steamship Co. of New Zealand renamed KAITUNA. 1931 sold to Wing Hong & Co., Hong Kong. not renamed. 1937 sold to Wallem & Co., Panama renamed NEEDWOOD. 12.1941 captured by Japanese forces renamed KAIYO MARU. 22.1.1942 sunk after collision with s/s Nichiun Maru.

HOLYWOOD (1) (1906)
O.N. ? 2,003gt, 1,247nt 85.1 x 12.2 x 5.5 metres (279.5 x 40.1 x 18.1 feet)
20.8.1906 launched as HOLYWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London, 10.1906 completed by Osbourne, Graham & Co., North Hylton, Sunderland Yard No. 130 as KAIAPOI for Union Steamship Co. of New Zealand. 1930 sold to Kin Hong Steam Ship Co. Ltd. (S.T. Williamson), Hong Kong. 1939 sold to Wallem & Co., Hong Kong. 25.1.1939 wrecked on voyage Shanghai to Wenchow with coal.

MARLWOOD (1) (1906-1917)
O.N. 123757 1,981gt 85.1 x 12.3 x 5.5 metres
19.9.1906 launched, 11.1906 completed by Osbourne, Graham & Co., North Hylton, Sunderland Yard No. 131 as MARLWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1917 sold to European Gas Co. Ltd., London. 1926 sold to Harries Bros & Co., London. 7.1933 broken up at by T.W. Ward, Briton Ferry.

NEEDWOOD (2) (1906 -1925)
O.N. 120649 1,985gt 85.1 x 12.3 metres (279.5 x 40.1 x 17.9 feet)
11.11.1905 launched, 1.1906 completed by Osbourne, Graham & Co., North Hylton, Sunderland Yard No. 124 as NEEDWOOD for Needwood SS Co. Ltd. ( Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd.), London. 1914 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1925 purchased by Grove Line (Glasgow) Ltd (David Alexander & Sons), Glasgow renamed OAKGROVE. 9.1.1940 bombed and sunk by German aircraft.

WYCHWOOD (1) (1907-1917)
O.N. 125606 1,985gt 85.1 x 12.3 metres (279.5 x 40.1 x 17.9 feet)
13.7.1907 launched, 8.1907 completed by Osbourne, Graham & Co., North Hylton, Sunderland Yard No. 136 as WYCHWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 28.3.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UC.65 4 miles SSW from S. Arklow lightship on voyage Barry to Scapa Flow.

LADYWOOD (1) (1907-1908)
O.N. 125625 1,981gt, 1,219nt 85.1 x 12.3 metres (279.5 x 40.1 x 17.9 feet)
10.9.1907 launched, 10.1907 completed by Osbourne, Graham & Co., North Hylton, Sunderland Yard No. 137 as LADYWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1908 sold to Union Steamship Co. of New Zealand renamed KAITANGATA. 1930 sold to Ling Nam Steam Ship Co. Ltd. (S.T. Williamson), Hong Kong. 25.10.1937 sunk after explosion on voyage Hong Kong to Haiphong with petrol.

HOLYWOOD (2) (1907-1935)
O.N. 123769 1,545gt 74.5 x 11.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
14.12.1906 launched, 1.1907 completed by J. Blumer & Co., North Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 193 as HOLYWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1935 sold to S. Synodinos, Piraeus, Greece renamed TANAIS. 1942 seized by Germans and placed in Mittelmeer Reederei GmbH, Hamburg. 9.6.1944 torpedoed and sunk by British submarine HMS Vivid.

RAITHWAITE HALL (1906-1909)
Iron screw steamship
676gt 200 feet
Steam engine by T. Richardson, Middleton, Hartlepool (1874 compounded)
6.6.1868 launched, 1868 completed by Denton, Gray & Co., Middleton Hartlepool Yard No. 75 as RAITHWAITE HALL for G. Pyman & Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool. 1873 transferred to Pyman, Bell & Co., Newcastle. 1906 sold to T. Pallister & Co., Newcastle. 10.1906 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 05.05.1909 sold to The Dwina Ltd. (operating in Shatt el Arab to lighten Strick Line steamers). 1929 broken up.

LADYWOOD (2) (1910-1917)
O.N. 129106 2,314gt 88.7 x 13.1 metres
24.5.1910 launched, 6.1910 completed by Osbourne, Graham & Co., North Hylton, Sunderland Yard No. 151 as LADYWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1.5.1917 captured by submarine German submarine UB.38 and sunk with bombs 15 miles SW from Wolf Rock on voyage Port Nolloth to Swansea.

WEDGWOOD (1910-1932)
O.N. 129133 1,673gt 80.8 x 11.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
22.8.1910 launched, 9.1910 completed by R. Thompson & Sons Ltd., Southwick Yard No. 265 as WEDGWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1932 sold to S. Altieri, Italy renamed ALTERO. 1936 sold to Ignazio Messina & Co. renamed PEGLI. 14.3.1943 torpedoed and sunk by British submarine near Cape Gallo, Sicily.

KIRKWOOD (1) (1911-1929)
O.N. 129163 1,674gt 80.8 x 11.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
29.11.1910 launched, 1.1911 completed by R. Thompson & Sons Ltd., Southwick Yard No. 266 as KIRKWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1929 sold to A. Pollio, Italy renamed POLLINIA. 26.6.1941 sunk by gunfire from submarine.

CORNWOOD (1) (1911-1929)
O.N. 132597 2,152gt 87.5 x 12.5 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
27.7.1911 launched, 9.1911 completed by J. Blumer & Co., North Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 207 as CORNWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1929 sold to Haniel, Germany renamed FRANZ HANIEL. 13.5.1940 mined and sunk in mined Kiel Bay.

DALEWOOD (1) (1911-1918)
O.N. 132624 2,420gt 90.8 x 13 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
25.9.1911 launched, 10.1911 completed by R. Thompson & Sons Ltd., Southwick Yard No. 272 as DALEWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 26.2.1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.105 10 miles SW from Isle of Man on voyage Cardiff to Scapa Flow.

PORTWOOD (1) (1913-1930)
O.N. 135217 2,248gt 85.3 x 12.3 x 5.5 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
8.4.1913 launched, 5.1913 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 267 as PORTWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1930 sold to M. Goossens, Belgium renamed SUZON. 1.1.1939 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.35 on voyage Bordeaux to Cardiff off Ushant.

BESTWOOD (1) (1913-1917)
O.N. 135288 2284gt 85.3 x 12.3 x 5.5 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
17.10.1913 launched, 11.1913 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 270 as BESTWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 29.7.1917 sunk in collision in convoy off south Bishop.

PINEWOOD (1) (1914-1918)
O.N. 136670 2,219gt 85.3 x 12.3 x 5.5 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
26.3.1914 launched, 5.1914 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 271 as PINEWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 17.2.1918 captured by German submarine U.86 and sunk by gunfire 15 miles from Minehead on voyage Cardiff to Queenstown, 2 lost.

ARNEWOOD (1) (1916-1917)
O.N. 139160 2,259gt 87.5 x 12.4 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
16.8.1916 launched, 10.1916 completed by North of Ireland Co., Londonderry Yard No. 65 as ARNEWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 13.12.1917 mined and sunk 4 miles ESE of Sleat Point, Skye.

WHITWOOD (1919-1939)
O.N. 143104 1,926gt 81.7 x 11.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
18.3.1919 launched, 6.1919 completed by John Crown & Sons, Monkwearmouth, Sunderland Yard No. 165 as WHITWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. (Laid down as WAR WANDLE for The Shippig Controller). 1939 sold to Dillwyn S.S.Co. Ltd. (Stockwood Rees & Co., Swansea renamed JOSEWYN. 1948 sold to Lowgate S.S.Co Ltd.( J.Carlbom & Co.), Hull renamed ASHGATE. 1953 sold to Liberian Steamship.Corp. Estoanglo, Monrovia, Liberia renamed IKLA. 8.1959 broken up at Antwerp.

DEERWOOD (1) (1919-1941)
O.N. 143456 1,914gt 81.7 x 11.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
25.9.1919 launched, 10.1919 completed by John Crown & Sons, Monkwearmouth, Sunderland Yard No. 168 as DEERWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. (Laid down as WAR THAMES for The Shippig Controller). 6.8.1941 wrecked on Haisbro' sand, one of six losses in line in convoy.

BRAYWOOD (1) (1919-1927)
O.N. 129053 1,774gt 81.7 x 11.7 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
18.10.1909 launched, 11.1909 completed by R. Thompson & Sons Ltd., Southwick Yard No. 256 as LEVERSONS for Gordon Steam Shipping Co. Ltd., London. 1914 interned at Hamburg. 1919 returned to Gordon Steam Shipping Co. Ltd., London. 1919 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London renamed BRAYWOOD. 1927 sold to Constants (France) Ltd., London renamed IGHTHAM. 1929 transferred to Constants (South Wales) Ltd. 1929 sold to Bromage Shipping Co. Ltd., Cardiff renamed WILLODALE. 4.4.1947 foundered on voyage Bordeaux to Cardiff with pitprops.

BEARWOOD (1) (1919-1927)
O.N. 129189 1,757gt 81.7 x 11.7 x 5.2 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
29.3.1911 launched, 4.1911 completed by R. Thompson & Sons Ltd., Southwick Yard No. 267 as GARESFIELD for 1919 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London renamed BEARWOOD. 1927 sold to Constants (France) Ltd., London renamed WROTHAM. 1930 sold to H. Ferdinand renamed MARIE FERDINAND. 14.1.1943 wrecked Steinort.
DALEWOOD (2) (1921-1923)
O.N. 146080 IMO 5535162 2,902gt 93.1 x 13.5 metres
T.3 Cyl. by J.E. Eltringham & Co. Ltd., Wilmington Quay
8.1921 completed by J.E. Eltringham & Co. Ltd., Wilmington Quay Yard No. 362 as DALEWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1923 sold to Bd. Blumenfeld, Hamburg renamed BERNHARD BLUMENFELD. 1938 sold to Krupp Reederei & Kohlenhandel GmbH, Essen renamed CARL JUNGST. 1945 allocated to Great Britain renamed EMPIRE DURANT (mngr Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London). 1946 to USSR renamed TAMBOV. 1969 deleted from Register.

HELMWOOD (1) (1923-1947)
O.N. 147546 2,156gt 85.7 x 12.3 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
25.9.1923 launched, 10.1923 completed by Vickers Ltd., Barrow Yard No. 603 as HELMWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1947 sold to Hai Ying SS Co. renamed HAI PUNG. 1947 sold to Finnlines, Finland renamed WILLE. 1960 sold to Meritoimi, Finland renamed AURA. 1.1964 broken up at Hamburg.

FERNWOOD (1923-1942)
O.N. 147556 1,892gt 81.7 x 11.5 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
25.10.1923 launched, 11.1923 completed by Sir James Laing & Sons Ltd., Deptford Yard, Sunderland Yard No. 687 as FERNWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 18.9.1942 bombed and sunk by German aircraft at Dartmouth.

MOORWOOD (1) (1924-1933)
O.N. 147577 1,892gt 81.7 x 11.5 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
19.12.1923 launched, 1.1924 completed by Sir James Laing & Sons Ltd., Deptford Yard, Sunderland Yard No. 688 as MOORWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1.10.1933 wrecked at Ushant on voyage Methil to Bordeaux with coal.

DASHWOOD (1) (1924-1941)
O.N. 147596 2,154gt 85.7 x 12.3 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
5.2.1924 launched, 3.1924 completed by Vickers Ltd., Barrow Yard No. 604 as DASHWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 25.6.1941 bombed and sunk to NE of Cromer on voyage London to Sunderland in ballast.

CLANWOOD (1924-1938)
O.N. 147594 2,180gt, 3,450dwt 85.3 x 12.3 metres
T.3 Cyl. by G. Clark Ltd., Sunderland
7.2.1924 launched, 3.1924 completed by Sir James Laing & Sons Ltd., Deptford Yard, Sunderland Yard No. 689 as CLANWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1938 sold to E. Komrowski Reederei, Hamburg renamed BALKAN. 17.10.1945 scuttled Skagerrak with ammunition.

KENTWOOD (1) (1924-1942)
O.N. 147623 2,180gt 3,450dwt 85.3 x 12.3 metres
T.3 Cyl. by G. Clark Ltd., Sunderland
3.4.1924 launched, 4.1924 completed by Sir James Laing & Sons Ltd., Deptford Yard, Sunderland Yard No. 690 as KENTWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1.1.1942 mined and sunk in Hearty Knoll channel on voyage Blyth to London with coal.

EFOS (1927-1940)
O.N. 147735 1,245gt 70.1 x 10.9 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
16.8.1924 launched, 10.1924 completed by Ardrossan Dockyard & Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Ardrossan Yard No. 334 as FORESTROW for Mann Macneal & Co. 1927 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London renamed EFOS. 26.2.1940 hit an object and sank near 4nm NNW Haisborough Lightvessel.

CHELWOOD (1) (1928-1957)
O.N. 160583 2,742gt 93.3 x 13.4 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
5.9.1928 launched, 9.1928 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 315 as CHELWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1957 sold to Wheelock Marden renamed SAN ROMELI. 1.1960 broken up at Kaohsiung.

CHATWOOD (1) (1929-1942)
O.N. 161249 2,768gt 93.3 x 13.4 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
22.5.1929 launched, 6.1929 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 316 as CHATWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 23.4.1942 mined and sunk off The Wash on voyage Tyneto London with coal.

BUSHWOOD (1) (1930-1940)
O.N. 161350 2,314gt 86.3 x 12.7 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
17.3.1929 launched, 1.1930 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 319 as BUSHWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1940 converted into a mine detector ship. 3.1951 broken up at Hong Kong.

KIRKWOOD (2) (1930)
O.N. 161364 2,780gt 93.3 x 13.4 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
17.12.1929 launched, 2.1930 completed by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd., Hebburn Yard No. 570 as KIRKWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 26.4.1930 run down at anchor by American liner in Elbe on voyage Tyne to Hamburg with coal.

PINEWOOD (2) (1930-1941)
O.N. 161418 2,466gt 87.1 x 12.9 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
14.4.1930 launched, 5.1930 completed by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd., Hebburn Yard No. 574 as PINEWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 3.1.1941 mined and sunk off Southend pier on voyage London to Blytyh in ballast, 6 lost.

DALEWOOD (3) (1930-1958)
O.N. 162534 2,774gt 93.3 x 13.4 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
18.12.1930 launched, 2.1931 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 324 as DALEWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1958 sold to E.N. Vintiadis renamed DALE. 1960 sold to A. Angelicoussis & D. Efthimros & Co. renamed ARMONIA II. 1961 sold to Lincoln Chartering renamed BAHAMAS GEM. 1963 sold to Discruz renamed ANTONIOS D. 1964 sold to M. Maresca & Co. renamed MAR GLAUCO. 1967 sold to G. Palomba renamed CIRO PALOMBA. 2.1972 broken up at La Spezia.

SHERWOOD (2) (1932-1956)
O.N. 147701 1,530gt 75.6 x 11.2 metres (248 x 36.7 feet)
T.3 Cyl. by North East Marine Engineering, Sunderland
17.6.1924 launched, 8.1924 completed by Craig, Taylor & Co., Stockton on Tees Yard No. 215 as SEATON for H. Harrison (Shipping) Ltd., London. 1932 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London renamed SHERWOOD. 1956 sold to Trafalgar Shipping Co. Ltd. (Tsavliris Shipping), London renamed MASTER NICOLAS. 1957 transferred to Salamis Shipping (Tsavliris Shipping), Piraeus renamed NICOLAOS TSAVLIRIS. 1957 sold to John S. Latsis, Piraeus renamed LIBYA. 31.08.1960 arrived at La Spezia for breaking.

EASTWOOD (1933-1956)
O.N. 147680 1,551gt 74.4 x 11.2 metres (244 x 36.7 feet)
T.3 Cyl. by North East Marine Engineering, Sunderland
19.5.1924 launched, 7.1924 completed by Craig, Taylor & Co., Stockton on Tees Yard No. 214 as TAUNTON for H. Harrison (Shipping) Ltd., London. 1933 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London renamed EASTWOOD. 1956 sold to Waterloo Shipping Co. Ltd. (Tsavliris Shipping), London renamed ANDREW. 1957 transferred to Salamis Shipping (Tsavliris Shipping), Piraeus renamed ANDREAS TSAVLIRIS. 1957 sold to John S. Latsis, Piraeus renamed SUEZ. 31.08.1960 arrived at La Spezia for breaking.

WYCHWOOD (2) (1934-1940)
O.N. 163515 2,794gt 93.3 x 13.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
27.7.1934 launched, 9.1934 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 333 as WYCHWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 3.8.1940 mined and sunk 4 miles from Shipwash Lightvessel on voyage Blyth for London with coal.

HAWKWOOD (2) (1934-1942)
O.N. 163545 2,024gt 81.6 x 12.5 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
23.10.1934 launched, 11.1934 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 334 as HAWKWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 26.1.1942 wrecked in Tees Bay on voyage Blyth to London with coal.

KIRKWOOD (3) (1935-1955)
O.N. 147646 1561gt 74.4 x 11.2 metres (244 x 36.8 feet)
T.3 Cyl. by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co. Ltd., Sunderland
20.3.1924 launched, 5.1924 completed by Craig, Taylor & Co., Stockton on Tees Yard No. 210 as ASHTREE for Tree Steamship Co. Ltd. (Howard Jones Ltd.), London. 1935 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London renamed KIRKWOOD. 08.09.1955 arrived at Grays, Essex for breaking.

PHYLWOOD (1935-1939)
O.N. 164882 1,013gt, 572nt 66.1 x 10.4 metres (217 x 34 x 12.5 feet)
25.10.1934 launched, 1.1935 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 336 as PHYLWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1939 sold to Stephenson Clarke Ltd., London renamed BROADHURST. 26.7.1940 torpedoed and sunk by German E boat near Shoreham.

BETSWOOD (1936-1957)
O.N. 164885 1,051gt, 532nt, 1,350dwt 66.4 x 10.4 metres (227.6 x 34 x 12.5 feet)
4.6.1936 launched, 7.1936 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 233 as BETSWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1946 registered under Shoreham Shipping & Coal Co. Ltd. 1947 sold to Stephenson Clarke Ltd., London renamed ASHLEY. 1957 sold to O. Dorey & Sons Ltd., Guernsey renamed HAVELET. 10.1961 broken up at Terneuzen.

LOCKWOOD (2) (1936-1939)
O.N. 165336 633gt 53.9 x 8.7 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
17.10.1936 launched, 11.1936 completed by Henry Robb Ltd., Leith Yard No. 236 as LOCKWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1939 sold to British Channel Islands renamed ALDERNEY QUEEN. 9.10.1940 bombed and sunk off Pembrokeshire.

ROOKWOOD (2) (1936-1939)
O.N. 164738 633gt 53.9 x 8.7 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
1.10.1936 launched, 10.1936 completed by Henry Robb Ltd., Leith Yard No.237 as ROOKWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1939 sold converted into a sand dredger renamed SAND MARTIN. 1.1974 broken up.

GOODWOOD (1) (1937-1939)
O.N. 165553 2,796gt 93.4 x 13.9 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
7.7.1937 launched, 8.1937 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 343 as GOODWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 10.9.1939 Goodwood torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.15 off Flamborough Head on voyage Tyne to Bayonne with coal.

GWYNWOOD (2) (1937-1941)
O.N. 165597 1,177gt 70.2 x 11 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
5.10.1937 launched, 10.1937 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 344 as GWYNWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 4.2.1941 mined and sunk off the Humber on voyage London for Sunderland in ballast, 11 lost.

MARLWOOD (2) (1938-1957)
O.N. 148064 1,034gt 64.6 x 10.2 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
16.4.1924 launched, 5.1924 completed by John Crown & Sons, Monkwearmouth, Sunderland Yard No. 174 as FELLSIDE for Connell & Grace, Newcastle. 1930 sold to Atkinson & Prickett renamed SWANDALE. 1938 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London renamed MARLWOOD. 7.1957 broken up at Dunston.

MONKWOOD (2) (1938-1959)
O.N. 166343 1,591gt 77.8 x 11.4 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
2.12.1937 launched, 1.1938 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 345 as MONKWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 4.1959 broken up at Dunston.

CORNWOOD (2) (1940-1959)
O.N. 168008 2,787gt, 4,100dwt 98.1 x 13.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
3.8.1940 launched, 9.1940 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 354 as CORNWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1959 sold to Ithaca Marine Tptn Inc., Monrovia renamed ARIS. 1961 sold to Emilio Canale di Pietro, Genoa renamed GABRIELE. 1971 sold to Euronavi SpA, Genoa renamed FIRMINO. 3.1972 broken up at La Spezia.

MOORWOOD (2) (1940-1941)
O.N. 167413 2,056gt 83.3 x 12.5 metres
24.2.1940 launched, 3.1940 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 352 as MOORWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 11.6.1941 bombed and sunk off Whitby on voyage London to Blyth in ballast.

GOODWOOD (2) (1940-1945)
O.N. 168053 2,780gt 94.4 x 13.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
30.10.1940 launched, 1.1941 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 356 as GOODWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 22.2.1945 torpedoed and sunk by German E boat off Lowestoft on voyage Blyth to London with coal.

BUSHWOOD (2) (1942-1958)
O.N. 168345 2,842gt, 4,360dwt 100.1 x 13.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
24.9.1942 launched, 11.1942 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 365 as BUSHWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1958 sold to Maristrella Nav SA, Monrovia renamed EVAGGELISTRA. 1968 sold to Panagia Nav SA, Monrovia renamed BABB. 1969 sold to ? renamed BULKHANDLING 4 and converted into a barge. 11.1978 broken up at Inverkeithing.

WRENWOOD (1943-1946) (1949-1959)
O.N. 169604 2,847gt, 4,360dwt 10.1 x 13.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
2.6.1943 launched, 10.1943 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 368 as WRENWOOD for for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1946 transferred to Coastwise Colliers Ltd., London renamed COLLINGBOURNE. 1949 returned to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London renamed WRENWOOD. 1959 sold to Transportes Maritimos Castalia SA., Beirut renamed ETHEL C. 16.4.1960 foundered on voyage New York toNewport News with scrap iron.

HAWKWOOD (3) (1944-1965)
O.N. 169825 IMO 5144710 2850gt, 4,360dwt 100.1 x 13.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
25.1.1944 launched, 4.1944 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 372 as HAWKWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1965 sold to Sterpi Nav SA, Panama renamed IOANNIS P. 7.1969 broken up at Hamburg.

KENTWOOD (2) (1945-1956)
O.N. 168797 2,020gt, 2,900dwt 85.5 x 12.2 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
16.2.1942 launched, 5.1942 completed by Grangemouth Dockyard Co. Ltd., Grangemouth Yard No. 438 as EMPIRE HEARTH for Ministry of War Transport. 1945 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London renamed KENTWOOD. 1956 sold to Ouse SS Co Ltd., Goole renamed MAYFLEET. 5.1961 broken up at Dublin.

BIRDWOOD (1945-1970)
O.N. 180746 IMO 5044867 2,862gt, 4,250dwt 101 x 13.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
10.5.1945 launched, 10.1945 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 374 as BIRDWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1959 re-engined with a diesel engine. 1968 sold to Transportaciones Combinadas CA, Panama renamed SAN JAVIER. 1970 sold to CA Naviera Orinoco, La Guaira renamed AMACURO. 1972 sold to Tacarigua Marina CA, La Guaira renamed TACAMAR I. 1976 sold to Tacamar Panamena SA, Panama. 5.1979 broken up at Cartagena, Colombia.

MOORWOOD (3) (1945-1960)
O.N. 180659 2,034gt, 2,960dwt 86.4 x 12.5 metres (283.7 x 41 x 18.0 feet)
25.5.1945 launched, 9.1945 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 379 as MOORWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1960 sold to Stephenson Clarke Ltd., London renamed HORSTED. 11.1966 hulked in Holland.

PINEWOOD (3) (1945-1946) (1949-1967)
O.N. 180528 IMO 527859 2,853gt, 4,360dwt, 100.1 x 13.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
12.1.1945 launched, 3.1945 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 376 as PINEWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1946 transferred to Coastwise Colliers Ltd., London renamed COLDSTREAM. 1949 transferred to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London renamed PINEWOOD. 1967 sold to Sweden and converted into a lighter.

ARNEWOOD (2) (1946-1960)
O.N. 180173 2,125gt, 2,787dwt 86.6 x 12.5 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
26.6.1945 launched, 10.1945 completed by John Crown & Sons, Monkwearmouth, Sunderland Yard No. 214 as EMPIRE HIGHLANDER for Ministry of War Transport. 1946 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London renamed ARNEWOOD. 1960 sold to G.Kouremenos, Greece renamed ELIAS K. 17.1.1967 sustained grounding damage and scrapped at Split.

BRAYWOOD (2) (1946-1960)
O.N. 180362 2,025gt, 2,815dwt 85.5 x 12.2 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
30.11.1944 launched, 3.1945 completed by Grangemouth Dockyard Co. Ltd., Grangemouth Yard No. 459 as EMPIRE VAUXHALL for for Ministry of War Transport. 1946 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London renamed BRAYWOOD. 1960 sold to Faruk & Ozmelek, Turkey renamed ABDULLAH. 1976 sold to Kalkavan Zaya Koll Sirketi, Turkey renamed TAYLAN KALKAVAN. 4.1982 broken up at Aliaga.

DASHWOOD (2) (1946-1961)
O.N. 180955 2,156gt 86.6 x 12.5 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
15.7.1946 launched, 9.1946 completed by John Crown & Sons, Monkwearmouth, Sunderland Yard No. 217 as DASHWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. (Laid down as EMPIRE LAMBETH for Ministry of War Transport). 6.1961 broken up at Hendrik Ido Ambacht.

BESTWOOD (2) (1949-1961)
O.N. 181884 2,852gt, 4,250dwt 100.1 x 13.6 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
11.12.1947 launched, 4.1948 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 392 as COLEFORD for Coastwise Colliers Ltd., London. 1949 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London renamed BESTWOOD. 1961 sold to Nav Maritime Bulgare,Varna renamed VITOCHA. 5.1972 broken up at Split.

GOODWOOD (3) (1949-1963)
O.N. 183122 IMO 5356557 2,487gt, 3,570dwt 96 x 13.7 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
8.8.1949 launched, 10.1949 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 399 as GOODWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1963 sold to Armeni Inc., Monrovia renamed TETI N. 1968 sold to South Star Marine Corp., Monrovia renamed TUNG SING. 10.1970 broken up at Kaohsiung.

PORTWOOD (2) (1949-1962)
O.N. 167739 2,931gt, 4,200gt 98.6 x 14.2 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
21.8.1941 launched, 10.1941 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 360 as SOUND FISHER for Fenwick, Fisher Steamship Co. Ltd., Barrow. 1946 to Coastwise Colliers Ltd., London renamed COLNBROOK 1949 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London renamed PORTWOOD. 1962 sold to George Corp Panama, Beirut renamed CHRYSANTHI K.

GWYNWOOD (3) (1955-1958)
O.N. 183110 964gt, 1,207dwt 66.6 x 9.7 metres (206.1 x 31.7 x 12.2 feet)
T.3 Cyl. by John Lewis, Aberdeen
9.8.1949 launched, 10.1949 completed by John Lewis, Aberdeen Yard No. 219 as LINCOLNBROOK for Williamstown Shipping Co Ltd. (Comben, Longstaff & Co. Ltd.), London. 1955 Wm. France, Fenwick & Co Ltd. 1955 renamed GWYNWOOD. 1958 sold to Hargreaves Coal & Shipping Lt., London renamed HARWOOD. 1964 sold to National Maritime Nav Co SAL, Tripoli renamed WASSEF. 18.8.1971 wrecked Igneada, Turkey on voyage Constanta toTripoli with timber.

WYCHWOOD (3) (1950-1955)
O.N. 184309 2,506gt, 3,570dwt 95.7 x 13.7 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
12.9.1950 launched, 10.11.1950 completed by S.P. Austin & Son Ltd. Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 405 as WYCHWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co.Ltd., London. 14.8.1955 stranded near Gibbs Hill Light on voyage Walton NS to Port of Spain with barytes and general cargo. Sank off Bermuda while in tow.

ROOKWOOD (3) (1952-1961)
O.N. 184732 6,246gt, 7,860dwt 132.4 x 17.0 metres
T.3 Cyl. by John Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields with Bauer Wach exhaust turbines
9.7.1952 launched, 11.1952 completed by John Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields Yard No. 572 as ROOKWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co.Ltd., London. 1961 sold to Nav Maritime Bulgare, Varna, Bulgaria renamed RILA. 4.1974 broken up at Shabla.

RUSHWOOD (1953-1962)
O.N. 185890 6,208gt, 7,860dwt 132.4 x 17.0 metres
T.3 Cyl. by John Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields with Bauer Wach exhaust turbines
15.1.1953 launched, 5.1953 completed by John Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields Yard No. 574 as RUSHWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1962 sold to Nav Maritime Bulgare, Varna, Bulgaria renamed RODOPI. 1977 became static training ship at Varna. 1978 deleted from Register.

BUSHWOOD (3) (1961-1971)
Steel single screw motorship
O.N. 185918 IMO 5055854 3,948gt, 5,620dwt 108.7 x 15.3 metres
Oil engine by
14.4.1953 launched, 6.1953 completed by Henry Robb Ltd., Leith Yard No. 428 as LONGFELLOW for Rodney Steamship Co. Ltd., London. 1961 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London renamed BUSHWOOD. 1971 sold to Sabella International Nav. Co. Inc., Panama renamed MISTRAL. 1977 sold to Cia de Nav Pinares SA., Panama renamed MALEA. 10.1981 broken up at Savona.

BEARWOOD (2) (1955-1968)
O.N. 186269 IMO 5038674 3,395gt, 4,638dwt 104.8 x 14.2 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
21.4.1955 launched, 7.1955 completed by Austin and Pickersgill Ltd, Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 424 as BEARWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1968 sold to Spiridione Lucchi, Venice renamed GIOVANNI TRENTO. 1977 sold to San Gavino SpA di Nav., Genoa renamed UGO M. 2.1983 broken up at Vado Ligure.

DEERWOOD (2) (1955-1969)
O.N. 186281 IMO 5087560 6,616gt, 8,140dwt 130.4 x 17.1 metres
4 cylinder North Eastern Marine Engineering Doxford oil engines
22.4.1955 launched, 9.1955 completed by Wm. Pickersgill & Sons, Southwick, Sunderland Yard No. 338 as DEERWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1969 sold to Naviera Ceresio SA (Tuillier), Panama renamed SEBASTIANO. 1976 sold to Brosalmar SA, Panama renamed MORCOTE. 1977 renamed FENI. 1979 sold to The Island of Aphrodite SA, Panama renamed KYKLOPS. 1980 sold to Saboga Nav Co. Ltd., Valletta renamed SIRLAD. 3.1.1982 damaged by explosion off Algiers and broken up at Split.

HELMWOOD (2) (1956-1968)
O.N. 187359 IMO 5147310 3,403gt, 4,440dwt 104.8 x 14.1 metres
T.3 Cyl. by
15.11.1955 launched, 2.1956 completed by Austin and Pickersgill Ltd, Wear Dock, Sunderland Yard No. 426 as HELMWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1968 sold to Cia de Nav Porto Ronco SA, Panama renamed LOCARNO. 1975 renamed PAULA II. 1977 sold to Criterion Maritime Corp SA, Panama renamed SMILE. 1.1979 broken up at Vado Ligure.

DARTWOOD (1956-1969)
O.N. 187344 IMO 5086669 6,139gt, 10.050dwt 139.4 x 18.2 metres
4 cylinder North Eastern Marine Engineering Doxford oil engines
19.10.1955 launched, 2.1956 completed by Wm. Pickersgill & Sons, Southwick, Sunderland Yard No. 339 as DARTWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1969 sold to Spalmatori Cia Naviera SA, Piraeus renamed SPALMATORI CAPTAIN. 1974 sold to Aquamarine Nav SA, Panama renamed PRINCESS AQUAMARINE. 6.1979 broken up at Kaohsiung.

GRANWOOD (1959-1971)
O.N. 301016 IMO 5135161 8,182gt, 10,800dwt 148.5 x 18.7 metres
7 cylinder oil engine by John Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields
8.7.1959 launched, 10.1959 completed by John Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields Yard No. 601 as GRANWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1971 sold to Ofmike Corp., Monrovia renamed PENNY MICHAELS. 1976 renamed LAMDA. 19 80 renamed BLUE DANUBE. 1981 renamed BELMONTE. 7.1982 broken up at Chittagong.

CHATWOOD (2) (1963-1969)
O.N. 304479 IMO 5415250 9,384gt, 5,373nt, 13,572dwt 156.9 x 19.7 metres
6 Cyl. Sulzer type ^RD 76 Oil engine by Sulzer, Bilbao
27.10.1962 launched, 4.1963 completed by Soc Espanola de Construction Navale, Sestao Yard No. 114 as CHATWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London. 1969 sold to Cie des Messageries Maritimes, Dunkirk renamed MOHELI. 1977 to Cie Generale Maritime, Dunkirk. 1977 sold to Sacre Coeur SA, Piraeus renamed SINCERITY. 1980 renamed MIGHTY. 1981 sold to Tonywood Shipping Corp., Piraeus renamed ETERNAL PEACE. 1982 sold to Jasmine Maritime Co. Ltd., Colombo renamed DEVI. 10.1984 broken up at Chittagong.

GRITWOOD (1963-1969)
O.N. 304494 IMO 5420188 987gt 60.9 x 11.8 metres
Oil engine by
4.1963 completed by Boele's Scheepswerven & Machinefabriek, Bolnes Yard no. 1008 as GRITWOOD for Wm. France, Fenwick & Co., London (Sand Dredger). 1969 sold to Hall (Marine) Ltd., London. 1970 renamed JOHN GAUNTLETT. 1973 transferred to Hall Dredging Ltd., London. 1977 sold to Rederij Joh.Boele B.V., Krimpen a/d Lek. 1978 renamed ERIDANI. 1996 sold to Baggermij Boskalis B.V., Rotterdam. 1997 sold to Esprit Corp. renamed ESPRIT VII.

NORDGAS / LOCKWOOD (3) (1956-1965)
O.N. 187479 IMO 5391947 1,036gt
6 Cyl. 4SA Oil engine by Klockner Humboldt Deutz A.G., Koln
5.9.1956 launched, 11.1956 completed by G. & H. Bodewes, Martenshoek Yard No. 423 as WINDSORBROOK for Williamstown Shipping Co Ltd (Comben, Longstaff & Co. Ltd.), London. 1963 Wm. France, Fenwick & Co Ltd. renamed NORDGAS. 1964 renamed LOCKWOOD. 1965 sold to Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London renamed MORTLAKE. 1966 renamed WINDSOR QUEEN. 1968 Bibby Bros. bought the Britain Steamship Co. 1969 sold to Rederibolaget Wallona, Mariehamn, Finland renamed WALLONA. 1971 sold to N. Dimitriadis & M. Kiosseglou, Chalkis, Greece renamed MAHI. 1978 sold to Crete Shipping Co Ltd renamed CRETE. 1984 to Kalliopi G. Chatzileni & G.A. Chatzilenis. 1985 renamed KRITI. 1985 sold to Siren Maritime Inc., San Lorenzo, Honduras renamed MIKE I. 1987 sold renamed POPI H. 1994 deleted from Register.

CHELWOOD (2) (1964 1974)
IMO 6415661 5,440gt 2,725nt 112.7 x 16.4 metres (370 x 54 feet)
6 cyl 2SCSA Stork oil engine by NV Werkspoor, Amsterdam.
10.6.1964 launched, 101964 completed by Bartram & Sons Ltd., Sunderland Yard No. 399 as CHELWOOD for France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd, London. 1972/74 Managed. by Houlder Bros.
1974 Company purchased by Houlder Brothers renamed OSWESTRY GRANGE, continued in North East coal trade to London. 1985 Sold to Oxelosund Hamn A/B, Sweden and hulked at Oxelosund as STEN JOHAN, having left the Thames on 30.7.1985. 1994 GINA T. 1995 EL BILLY 1995 GINA T. 2001 NADI.
DALEWOOD (4) (1966-1974)
O.N. 308136 IMO 6602006 5,513gt, 2,779nt, 7,975dwt 112.78 x 16.36 x 7.64 metres
5 cyl. two stroke cycle single acting Scott Sulzer 5RD56 type oil engine by Sulzer Bros Ltd., Winterthur
23.11.1965 launched 5.1966 completed by Bartram & Sons Ltd., Sunderland Yard No. 406 as DALEWOOD for William France, Fenwick & Co. Ltd., London. 1972 Houlder Brothers became managers. 1973 sold to Allied Marine Facilties Ltd., London (same mangers). 1974 purchased by Hadley Shipping Co. Ltd., London and renamed CYMBELINE. 1984 sold to Garth Shipping Co. Ltd. (Idwal Wiliams & Co. Ltd., mgrs), Cardiff renamed GREEN ROCK. 1985 sold to Graig Shipping p.l.c. (same managers), Cardiff and supposed to be renamed as COLUM but after a period of lay up returned to service as GREEN ROCK. 1986 sold to Teambold Ltd., London not renamed, 1986 sold to Moonbeam Shipping (Capt. Pertsinis), Cyprus not renamed. 1986 sold to Pipevine Ltd., London (Rockshire Shipping N.V., Curacao mgrs) and renamed ROCKY, 1987 sold to Rockshire Shipping Co. N.V., Netherlands Antilles same name, 26.12.1988 aground near Ashod in storm and lost.

SHERWOOD (3) (1968-1974)
O.N. 187727 IMO 5357642 5,279gt, 6,600dwt 111.8 x 16.6 metres, 1966 lenghtened 126.1 metre 5,279gt, 7,640dwt
Oil engine by
24.10.1957 launched, 2.1958 completed by Henry Robb Ltd., Leith Yard No. 459 as THACKERAY for Chine Shipping Co. Ltd., London. 1968 sold to Wm. France, Fenwick & Co.Ltd., London renamed SHERWOOD. 1974 sold to Morgan Grenfell & Co Ltd & Midland Montagu Leasing Ltd., London. 1974 sold to Koroni Shipping Co. Ltd., Singapore renamed NISYROS ERA. 1977 transferred to Koroni Shipping Co. Ltd., Piraeus 9.1984 under arrest at Port Said and towed to Great Bitter Lake. 1991 was in the Great Bitter Lakes, damaged. 1999 deleted from Register.

STAR PINEWOOD (1969-1974)
IMO 6900692 1,9577gt, 29,455dwt 171.9 x 26.1 metres
2 x vee-12-cylinder, four-stroke MAN V6V40/54 of 13,040 bhp (total) at 353 rpm, geared to a single screw shaft
24.10.1968 launched, 6.1969 completed by Cammell, Laird & Co.Ltd, Birkenhead Yard No. 1333 as STAR PINEWOOD. 1974 sold to Blandford Shipping Co. Ltd. (Fred Olsen) renamed STAR BULFORD and placed in Star Shipping pool. 1982 renamed STAR SUNG. 1984 sold to renamed SLEEPING BEAUTY. 1987 sold to renamed SEVEN SEAS. 1.10.1987 broken up at Chittagong as SEVEN S.

Source:
Miramar
Black Diamond Fleets by Norman L. Middlemiss
Old 18th January 2014, 15:54

Maritiem,

I thought that the aforementioned narrative was familiar. It transpires that it came originally, with minimal re-working, from a book published in 1954 by the company, a copy of which I have.

Over the past months I have been researching the ancestral fleets of the various companies that came together in 1901. Interestingly the Stobart association goes back well before the Fenwick Stobart formation. I have them back to 1857 when they were, with Fenwick and others, involved with the Wearmouth Coal Co. and in 1850 trading as Fenwick & Co.

The search continues.

Last edited by BillH; 18th January 2014 at 15:57.. Reason: typo correction
Old 13th February 2014, 23:31
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - Present

My late father was with them on the following ships.
Bearwood 8. 1 .1962 to 11. 4. 1962 as 3rd engineer
Hawkwood 15. 6 1962 to 2 .10 1964 as 2nd engineer
Chelwood 5. 10 1964 to 29. 10 1966 as 2nd engineer
Gritwood 31. 10 1966 to 21. 5 1969 as chief engineer
He went with the Gritwood to the new owners and then on to the
Pen Yar with ARC Marine as 2nd engineer and chief engineer.

In may 1974 he and mother emigrated to Australia and the last few years worked on Tasmania as a engine driver looking after power station engines.
Old 3rd April 2015, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
Maritiem,

I thought that the aforementioned narrative was familiar. It transpires that it came originally, with minimal re-working, from a book published in 1954 by the company, a copy of which I have.

Over the past months I have been researching the ancestral fleets of the various companies that came together in 1901. Interestingly the Stobart association goes back well before the Fenwick Stobart formation. I have them back to 1857 when they were, with Fenwick and others, involved with the Wearmouth Coal Co. and in 1850 trading as Fenwick & Co.

The search continues.
BILLH. I am also researching William France of Goole, Leeds and London. So far I have identified 37 vessels he owned or part owned between 1837 and 1883, the year of his death. He was my great great grandfather. I am also on the trail of the individual who seems to have owned the business before him. It is my intention to make the results of my research freely available. I would welcome any information you may be able to let me have.