Hotel Manager QE2 John Duffy - Ships Nostalgia
21:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hotel Manager QE2 John Duffy

User Tag List

Old 4th February 2009, 07:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 2011

My location
Hotel Manager QE2 John Duffy

I see they have given John an award for being at sea a long time with Cunard. For that - yes he deserves an award!
I have been at sea since 1963 does that make me a canditate for an award?
Old 4th February 2009, 10:32
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

I did 49 years at sea award given a pension But the times and memories are priceless
Old 4th February 2009, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm S View Post
I see they have given John an award for being at sea a long time with Cunard. For that - yes he deserves an award!
I have been at sea since 1963 does that make me a canditate for an award?
Can you please elaborate/give more info on this person? Personally i hold very little respect for all those that sailed on QE2 and sold their jobs in 86-87; yet to meet a seafarer that was on QE2 at the time, that voted to sell the job!!!! They all seem to say they voted no - but still got hefty pay outs and back on the southampton pool and straight into jobs. While the taffies, scousers, Jocks and geordies got nothing months.
If you have been at sea since 63, you are indeed intitled to something - in my eyes a 'merchant navy hero' - doesn't get much better than that shipmate!
Mick S
Old 4th February 2009, 21:09

My location
Mick,
John Duffy - it seems - and I have no reason not to believe this as he was one when I knew him - is the longest serving four stripe officer in Cunard's history. His rank was Hotel Manager. I gave up with Cunard well before the "sell out" on the QE2, also when they gave Hotel Managers and Chief Engineers caps with scrambled egg. I was involved during the flag changes on the Countess and Princess. I was very disapointed with the crew leaving the Countess, don't get me wrong - a great bunch of lads - but they, or someone, did sabotage some safety equipment.
Malcolm
Old 8th February 2009, 11:26

I gave up before you Malcolm - in '81. But I remember John, nice bloke. Hard to believe that some guys are still there after all this time. Did I make the right decision to leave or not??

Cheers
Alan Marsden
Old 13th February 2009, 21:40

My location
Hello Alan,
Yes we made good choices to get out. I am much happier where I am and the ship I am presently on. Have to retire soon though.
Love to Pam and when are you coming to visit?
Old 12th July 2009, 00:23

My location
i read with interest the comments of long service cunard employees! well done john duffy with your award and commited service....and also for the help given to my son who worked for cunard and on the QE2 and others ships under the carnival banner !but i would also like to pay tribute to an old mate of mine who went to gravesend with me ,in 1965 ,we both joined the Queen Mary, and he worked on the QE2 since the departure to long beach of the Queen Mary.......unfortunately he passed on this May gone ....James Murray.Maitre D' Hotel ....you will be missed and remembered by so many ..RIP..