Bankline - Where's the silent majority? - Ships Nostalgia
08:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bankline - Where's the silent majority?

User Tag List

Old 16th July 2009, 20:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Bankline - Where's the silent majority?

It must have occurred to readers of these threads that the number of viewings compared to postings on the Bankline sub category is quite a high ratio. Also, a good proportion of the viewings are likely to be by ex Bankline staff who, for some reason, stay silent. ( I know, - many think we are all talking twaddle!)

Someone earlier was calculating the numbers of seagoing staff at peak times, based on 50 plus ships steaming around the globe at any one time. Allowing for the natural turnover of staff, it still adds up to several thousand ex members. Some that I know can't handle the technology - some never use the internet etc etc, but there is still a large number of individuals who will have thoughts - good or bad - and fascinating stories of the Bankline days that we would all enjoy reading.

Seriously, it would be great to have postings from a wider number than the 2 dozen or so stalwarts......

Let's hear it from the silent majority - please!

AL
Old 16th July 2009, 23:20

going on from Alans thread,may i suggest that when the silent majority reply that they name their ships and dates.reason is my memory of the 50s/60s is dimming and i cannot remember who i sailed with but that would be easy with ship names and dates,just a matter of referring to my discharge book.
regards

jim
Old 16th July 2009, 23:48

Agree, Alan, that it would be nice to hear from more ex Bank Line people, even an hello and a ship(s) name(s).
I can remember most people I sailed with in the Bank Line, mainly because I was with them for the entirety of a long or longish voyage. We would join en masse and leave the same way.It was a different matter in CP Ships, where, on a four month tour you would usualy sail with two of each rank, as reliefs were staggered.
Sadly, a lot of my peer group from the Bank Line days have probably crossed the bar.
Old 17th July 2009, 00:25

Sorry to burst your bubble guys. I posted the following Officers and Apprentices crew list for the "Eastbank" July 60 until July 61 in June of this year......
Response.....Abosolutely zilch.......
What did that tell me.....?
That there are a few ex Bankline Chaps on here who only see Banline as a wonderful shipping company. They are obviously looking through rose coloured glasses and folk like myself who challenge their memories are put to the back burner.
I have the full Crew Lists for all my Bank Line Ships but if the response I got from posting this one is anything to go by I don't think I'll waste my time....

Cheap labour........Yup....

See photo of three Apprentices having a Smoke after cleaning the holds of Carbon Black in Lyttellton......Guess we figured there was just a little bit more room in the lungs for a a little more pollution....LOL

For your info.....John Pye, Lefty (Howard) Wright, and Paddy (Dave) Ramsay. My first trip on the Eastbank from July 60 to July 61. I had a great time on that ship....Loved every minute of my first year.....Johnnietwocoats

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...8/ppuser/31929

BTW. The crew list for the Eastbank that year was as follows.
Master.........R. Lidstone. First trip master I think
Mate............S Mallory
2nd Mate.....M J Arthur
3rd mate.....W. Mclennan
Apps 1........ Dave Ramsay
Apps 2........ H Wright
Apps 3 ....... J Pye
Ch. Eng ...... N harrison
2nd Eng ..... J J Brown
3rd Eng ...... H Nesbitt
4th Eng ...... N A M MacRaild
5th Eng....... K Hill
6th Eng....... A Bell
Lecky.......... R A Todd
Old 17th July 2009, 01:55

I am one of the Bank Line lurkers on this site. I have only recently found and join the Ship Nostalgia. There is a lot of reading to wade through, it is amazing how much I had forgotteon till I started reading all these posts. I know somewhere I have a box full of slides I took while an app. I just need to find the box and scan the slides. As the memory banks get refreshed, I am sure I have a tale or two to share. Murders, Yellow fever and Bank line Rosie.

LossieBank Dec 1966 - July? 1968
WillowBank 1968 - 1969
Hollybank 1969 - 1970, 2 trips
Old 17th July 2009, 08:48

My location
To Al W

Many thanks for responding - let's hope we have a snowball effect from many others! Seems the word is still spreading about the excellent SN site.

Johnnietwocoats - I tend to agree that a large proportion of folk - ex Bankline - regard it as a sour experience, not to say nightmare... The life didn't suit everyone. I have a small circle of ex Bankline friends who are not particularly interested in reviving the memories.

If you could adapt successfully, it was a unique experience, and one that got '' into the blood '' so that a few of us never can put it completely behind us.

Cheers//AL
Old 17th July 2009, 10:01

My time with the Bankline was in the 1970s and six-month trips.
From 1974 the ships in order were -
Sprucebank
Shirrabank
Avonbank
Meadowbank
Moraybank double header
Forthbank
Not a long list compared to some and redundancy in 1979 finished things.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:27
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - 2008

Found ship nostalgia yesterday.
Also ex Bank line from 1964.
Wavebank - joined in Calcutta just after a collision with a City Line ship
Laurelbank
Lindenbank
Left after my apprenticeship finished and worked ashore about 7 years. Then went back on tankers in 1975 and finally left the sea last year.

My main memories are plenty of "charactors" onboard, visting wonderfull places in the Pacific, counter balanced by Kiddapore(S?) Docks, and roaming the allyways looking for food.
Old 17th July 2009, 16:05
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Smithax and a warm welcome to SN on your first posting.Looking forward to some of your stories which you possibly have. Bon voyage.
Old 17th July 2009, 19:49
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
To Al W

Many thanks for responding - I tend to agree that a large proportion of folk - ex Bankline - regard it as a sour experience, not to say nightmare... The life didn't suit everyone. I have a small circle of ex Bankline friends who are not particularly interested in reviving the memories.
Cheers//AL
I was on a Hain boat, with an ex Bank line Fourth Eng. I remember, that on the way from Japan to Korea, or was it Korea to Formosa?, (it really was a long time ago!), the Cornish Second Eng, (ex RAF), hit him with a right hook, that laid him out on the aft end of four hatch! 'Aggis his name was, came from Glasgow.
Old 17th July 2009, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieboy View Post
I was on a Hain boat, with an ex Bank line Fourth Eng. I remember, that on the way from Japan to Korea, or was it Korea to Formosa?, (it really was a long time ago!), the Cornish Second Eng, (ex RAF), hit him with a right hook, that laid him out on the aft end of four hatch! 'Aggis his name was, came from Glasgow.
Just because he was ex Bank Line?/
Old 17th July 2009, 19:59

I joined Bank Line in 1963 as apprentice and lasted for 10 years.I know life was not a picnic at times but we got good training and experience on deck especially on the copra runs at least on the ships I was on.
Old 18th July 2009, 00:23
Active: 1953 - 1981

I have held back in contributing to this thread on the basis that since I joined SN I have been one of the steady contributors and also seem to come under the description of seeing Weirs "through rose coloured glasses"!
Believe me, after 29 years I see Bank Line, warts and all!
But.....
Alan Rawlinson's point that there seems to be many more readers than there are contributors is a valid one. There seems to be a substantial Weir contingent out in e-land and it would be great if more of you would come forward and ID yourself, your ships and something about yourself and your yarns. Its the yarns that are the most entertaining, but so are the hard man stories!
Remember your sunsets on the after deeptank hatch at the end of the working day when a beer or a cup of tea and good company made you think that you were in the best place in the world with your best friends!
Old 18th July 2009, 05:32

My location
Well said Alistair...

Personally, I like to remember the great anticipation in a new port, getting spruced up for a run ashore and the unknown. What a great feeling - getting the muck off as an apprentice, and putting on the No 1 shore gear!
Not knowing what was on the cards - especially in the company of some of the engineer ' hard cases '
AL
Old 18th July 2009, 11:01

Alistair,
can remember sitting on no4 hatch on a warm tropical evening with good mates,have got a slide somewhere ,must try and get it spruced up and then you all can see what a happy bunch wew were (Ettrickbank)
jim
Old 18th July 2009, 11:50

My location
Come to think of it -that hatch- under a starlit tropical sky -homeward bound -after dinner before the 8-12. was a great place - what jokes and yarns we apprentices and engineers shared. Nothing I have experienced since then matches the camaraderie.
Anticipating a new, to us, port was also something to remember and wondering how much of a sub you would put in for or what the old man would let you have.
It was the Second Mates job to get the sub list on many Bankline ships and I remember the hassle when some engineers were subbed to the hilt and we were say in B.A. for three weeks. Going up with the sub list to Capt. Beavis was quite an occasion with many high words spoken.
JC
Old 18th July 2009, 12:26
user

My location
Just to bring a tear to the eye.

Weirbank seven bells smoko
Weirbank homeward bound
Sprucebank at Lae and a last walk ashore before leaving for San Francisco
Sprucebank crossing the North Sea Hamburg to Hull viewed from the area mentioned
Weirbank on a quiet evening just before dinner on the way arcross the Pacific

I'm another one like Alastair who remembers the not so good bits but prefers the rose tinted glasses point of view at this point in my history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weirbank - 03 - 11s.jpg (135.6 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Weirbank - 08 - 15bs.jpg (249.0 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg Sprucebank - C009s.jpg (59.3 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg Sprucebank - C082s.jpg (87.5 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg Weirbank - 03 - 10s.jpg (80.3 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by K urgess; 18th July 2009 at 12:28..
Old 18th July 2009, 13:15
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
Come to think of it -that hatch- under a starlit tropical sky -homeward bound -after dinner before the 8-12. was a great place - what jokes and yarns we apprentices and engineers shared. Nothing I have experienced since then matches the camaraderie.
Anticipating a new, to us, port was also something to remember and wondering how much of a sub you would put in for or what the old man would let you have.
It was the Second Mates job to get the sub list on many Bankline ships and I remember the hassle when some engineers were subbed to the hilt and we were say in B.A. for three weeks. Going up with the sub list to Capt. Beavis was quite an occasion with many high words spoken.
JC
Oh Yes!
Old 18th July 2009, 13:35

Thumbs up

My memories are all rose tinted, whether it be Bank, Booths or
Souters!

Regards,

Jim.
Old 18th July 2009, 18:48

My location
Kris, in another thread I harped on about the value of a bit of open deck for leisure, your first photo above is a good illustration of this. In later builds when this bit of deck was no longer available, what did you all do? sit cooped up inside getting under each others skins? or move the deckchairs unto No 4 hatch. The big lifejacket locker come summer seat we had on this deck of, Teak,Inver and Forresbank etc was the most popular gathering spot onboard. I just can't imagine life without it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me (Large).jpg (57.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 18th July 2009, 20:54
user

My location
If you look at the view of the accommodation of the Sprucebank above you'll see there's quite a bit of room on the boatdeck, Charlie.
Unfortunately my Bankline experience is shared between Weir and Spruce so I don't know what the others were like and limited to two and a half years.
20% of my seagoing "career".
Old 19th July 2009, 06:46

My location
It must be my eyes but in the last photo of M.S post 17 I could actualy see the ship or sea moving......Al
Old 19th July 2009, 07:57

Thumbs up Great pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib View Post
Just to bring a tear to the eye.

Weirbank seven bells smoko
Weirbank homeward bound
Sprucebank at Lae and a last walk ashore before leaving for San Francisco
Sprucebank crossing the North Sea Hamburg to Hull viewed from the area mentioned
Weirbank on a quiet evening just before dinner on the way arcross the Pacific

I'm another one like Alastair who remembers the not so good bits but prefers the rose tinted glasses point of view at this point in my history.

Great pictures!

And they didn't just bring a tear to my eye as I nearly drowned
in nostalgia!

Image 3: Very poignant for me.

Image 5: Also very poignant for me.

Thanks, Kris.

Regards,

Jim.
Old 19th July 2009, 09:34

Nobody got a picture of a cracked liner on deck at No4 hatch, waiting to be dumped? Now that is one that would send me down memory lane.
Old 19th July 2009, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb42 View Post
Nobody got a picture of a cracked liner on deck at No4 hatch, waiting to be dumped? Now that is one that would send me down memory lane.

Cummon, John!

You must have your bi-focals or reading glasses on, and left
your rose tinted ones somewhere!

Regards,

Jim.