Cape and Lady vessels - Ships Nostalgia
16:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cape and Lady vessels

User Tag List

Old 21st July 2009, 08:29

Cape and Lady vessels

Hi!
I'm new to this, but I'm looking for information on ships sailing in the 1950s. They were the Cape Rodney, Cape Hawke, Cape Howe, Cape Franklin and Cape Grenville, Lady McGowan, Lady Anstruther and Lady Dorothy. I'd like to find pictures of them and any info on their voyages. I'm doing family history and Mum's cousin, Albert Davidson, was on these ships, before becoming a Trinity House pilot. He was first mate on the Cape ships and second mate on the others. I'd also like to find out about his sailings before 28/4/1952 when he joined the Rodney,especially during the war. He was always in the Merchant Navy, but where?
I hope someone can help point me in the right direction.
tgar
Old 21st July 2009, 10:27

My location
Welcome aboard.
If you put the names into the Miramar search engine you will get some basic details of the vessels and their history.
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/
Regards
Old 21st July 2009, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgar View Post
Hi!
I'm new to this, but I'm looking for information on ships sailing in the 1950s. They were the Cape Rodney, Cape Hawke, Cape Howe, Cape Franklin and Cape Grenville, Lady McGowan, Lady Anstruther and Lady Dorothy. I'd like to find pictures of them and any info on their voyages. I'm doing family history and Mum's cousin, Albert Davidson, was on these ships, before becoming a Trinity House pilot. He was first mate on the Cape ships and second mate on the others. I'd also like to find out about his sailings before 28/4/1952 when he joined the Rodney,especially during the war. He was always in the Merchant Navy, but where?
tgar
His full name, date and place of birth would be a big help. I can find one Albert Davidson born 10/1/1923 in Wick. Discharge A number R281572. Ring any bells?

Roger

Last edited by Roger Griffiths; 21st July 2009 at 21:27..
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:49

Hi Roger!
That's him! Where did you find him? What's a Discharge A number?
I was talking to his widow last night and she mentioned he was on a Norwegian ship(Salveson??) in 1946 and it went to South Georgia. He was the only British sailor aboard apparently. She also said that some of the ships in my previous post were owned by Tate & Lyle.
Thanks for your help.
tgar

Last edited by tgar; 22nd July 2009 at 14:01..
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:51

Thanks Marconi Sahib for the website. I've found some info, but will have to go back and look at it again.
tgar
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1984

The vessels prefixed Cape were part of the Lyle Shipping company. In the 70's they joined with Hogarths and, for a short time also Lamberts of London to form Scottish Ship Management. They have an active website where many of the ex company members, both sea and office staff contribute. This should probably be your first "port of call". The website is :- www.scottishshipmanagement.com

Hope this will be of some help to you.

best regards,

bluemoon
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:46

Quote:
Hi Roger!
That's him! Where did you find him? What's a Discharge A number?
His Merchant Navy Records are in the British National Archive. If you live near Kew you can obtain them by visiting, if not, take the following steps.

Go To
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...accessmethod=0

Hit Request this in the top right corner of the page.

Ask for a digital estimate

In the first box ask for
"The seamans pouch of Albert Davidson, R281572. born Wick 10/1/1923."

Above the second box where it says catalogue reference, Type BT382/438
Type in the second box.

Please copy "The CRS10 of Albert Davidson, R281572. born Wick 10/1/1923."

They will give you an estimate for copying. Should be less than 30. Maybe take a couple of days.

EXPLANATIONS
His Seamans Pouch may contain his MN ID card with a photo, albeit a mugshot, together with any certificates he obtained and various miscellaneous personal documents.

His CRS 10 Should give you the names of all the ships he sailed on together with dates and places of engagement and discharge.

His Discharge A number is his personal ID number.

Roger

PS His Medal listing is here
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...&resultcount=1
Cost 3.50 direct
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:30

Thanks Roger. I live in France, so I have requested an estimate from the National Archives online and have also downloaded his medal listing... but what does it mean?!! There are letters and five of them are circled, so I'm guessing that means 5 medals, but which ones?
Thanks again,
tgar
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:32

Hi bluemoon
Thanks for the info. I had a look on the site but the dates of construction for the ships seem to be later than when Albert was on board, so I'm a little confused...
tgar

Last edited by tgar; 22nd July 2009 at 22:40..
Old 23rd July 2009, 00:39

Quote:
Thanks Roger. I live in France, so I have requested an estimate from the National Archives online and have also downloaded his medal listing... but what does it mean?!! There are letters and five of them are circled, so I'm guessing that means 5 medals, but which ones?
Thanks again,
tgar
tgar,
Could you post his medal listing as an attachment. There are a number of medal experts who use this site who will be able to interpret the details for you.

Looking back to your original post.
I'd also like to find out about his sailings before 28/4/1952 when he joined the Rodney,especially during the war. He was always in the Merchant Navy, but where?

The only RODNEY around at that time was HMS RODNEY. Did he serve in the Royal Navy before embarking on a MN career?
His medal listing would suggest that he served in the MN during WW2. However, If he joined the Merchant Navy after 1946 then his CRS 10 would be in
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...accessmethod=5
Let us know what you get back from the National Archive and we can take it from there.

Roger

Last edited by Roger Griffiths; 23rd July 2009 at 00:46..
Old 23rd July 2009, 08:24

Hi Roger,
Here's the pdf file the National Archives sent. Hope someone can make some sense out of it, because I can't!
It was the Cape Rodney from 28/4/52 to 3/6/52 and he was first mate. His widow showed me a book with his sailings from then on until he joined Trinity House and I took photos. I've tried to make it smaller to post a copy of that page.
He was always Merchant Navy, but his brother (John, b 1904) was Royal Navy and was killed in action in 1942 or before. I'll have to find out about that too...
Thanks again
tgar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg discharge.jpg (155.8 KB, 38 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2571.pdf (72.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:26

My location
I think the following looks most likely -
1939 = 1939/45 Star
AT = Atlantic Star
AF = Africa Star
PA = Pacific Star
BU = Burma Star
FR = France Star
W/M = War Medal/ Defence medal
IT = Italy Star or clasp
CL = clasps to the star above.
Clasps were awarded to certain medals when two stars were authorised. I.e., the Burma clasp was awarded if you received the Pacific Star or the Italy clasp if you got the Europe Star, etc.

Regards
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:05

Roger,
Sorry - the brother was James Robert Davidson (born 20/12/1919) and he went down on the HMS Patroclus in about November 1941. He was in the RNVR.
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:10

Thanks Marconi Sahib for making sense of that! Is there by any chance a website out there which has pictures???
tgar
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:28

My location
Quote:
Thanks Marconi Sahib for making sense of that! Is there by any chance a website out there which has pictures???
tgar
Here's the official website with some pictures
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...dalSummary.htm
Regards
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:03

Lyle's Cape Howe

Quote:
Hi!
tgar
I was a cadet aboard the Cape Howe from 1949 to 1950.
There is a photograph of her that I took in San Fransisco here Click on the word "here".It is a link.
I also was a Trinity House pilot, London District South.
In which district was Mr.Davidson licensed?
Old 24th July 2009, 08:20

Hi methc!
Many thanks for the picture.
I don't know what his district was called, but he worked out of the Medway ports and part of his contract was that he had to live on the island of Sheppey. Did you know him?
tgar
Old 24th July 2009, 08:21

Thanks again Marconi Sahib
tgar
Old 29th July 2009, 15:05

national archives

I received the documents today from the national archives and am posting what seems to be the record of his ships. Can anyone translate what it all means?! What's the column For H? How do I find out where the ships went exactly? Especially during WW2. Is the Norwegian ship mentioned? (doesn't seem to be 1946...)
Sorry for all the questions, but it's most frustrating to have the documents and then not be able to find out what they mean!!
tgar
PS Is there something similar for his brother James Davidson's RNVR career?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Albert1cropped.jpg (103.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Albert2cropped.jpg (101.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by tgar; 29th July 2009 at 15:14..
Old 29th July 2009, 15:11

My location
F or H probably means Foreign or Home Trade.
You need the ship movement cards to find out where they went apart from the signing on and discharge ports.
Old 29th July 2009, 17:16

That makes sense - I should have thought of that. Thanks.
Ship movement cards? Where would I find those?
tgar
Old 29th July 2009, 17:26

Quote:
That makes sense - I should have thought of that. Thanks.
Ship movement cards? Where would I find those?
tgar
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...line/bt389.asp
After WW2 Try Lloyds voyage record cards from the Guildhall Library London.
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/NR/rd...B/0/pb_vrc.pdf

Re what Norwegian ship was he on?
CULROSS official number 169207 (which is misspelt Coulross in his CRS 10) was owned by Christian Salvesen who were based in Leith. Christian Salvesen was Norwegian. http://iancoombe.tripod.com/id24.html
The company had interests in the South Atlantic whale fishery after the war but was also involved in general shipping. I am sure others will expand.
I note from his CRS 10 that he was rescued from CORFIRTH official number 163476 by the Norwegian vessel TAUTRA in Feb 1944. I can find no indication that CORFIRTH was the victim of enemy action but it seems she may have been damaged. Her logbooks for 1944 should tell you what went on
Roger

Last edited by Roger Griffiths; 29th July 2009 at 21:44.. Reason: more info
Old 4th August 2009, 10:29

Thanks Roger, that enlightens me on a number of points. The Culross dates would fit, and his widow says he was almost a year on board.

What about the Corfirth logbooks? Could I consult them online or will I have to order them? I can't get to London in person, so the ships record cards will have to wait for the moment unfortunately.

I've been looking at the pictures on www.photoship.co.uk, as I'd like a picture of all the ships he served on. However, there are several photos for most of the ships and they don't all look the same, so how do I know which is the right one?

In the CRS 10 I'm having trouble deciphering some of the ports: what's ES25(Verde), Vcard (Culross) and A'??th(Howe)?

Also, can anyone read and understand the notations at the top of the first document? And what's written in the top right of the other next to Tautra and Fort Astoria?

Another list of questions!! Sorry!!
tgar
Old 4th August 2009, 23:03

Hello
What about the Corfirth logbooks? Could I consult them online or will I have to order them? I can't get to London in person, so the ships record cards will have to wait for the moment unfortunately.

After a little more research, CORFIRTH official number 163476 stuck a mine on12/Feb/1944, 1 mile 170 degrees from Ajaccio. I assumed that the survivors were picked up by the Norwegian vessel TAUTRA. I think this assumption was incorrect.
You can get hold of the logbook of CORFIRTH
Use the digital express service and ask for
"The narrative pages in the logbook of the vessel CORFIRTH official number163476 covering the period 1/2/1944 until 25/2/1944, also the pages from the Crew Agreement with the names and details of her crew" This should tell you what happened and give you some personal details. Could you tell what you find, for the record.
You can get the voyage record cards up until mid 1945 via
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...line/bt389.asp
They charge 3.50 direct to your PC

I've been looking at the pictures on www.photoship.co.uk, as I'd like a picture of all the ships he served on. However, there are several photos for most of the ships and they don't all look the same, so how do I know which is the right one?
If you could post the vessels you have found photo's of then maybe we can take a looksee.

Roger
Old 5th August 2009, 07:48

Many thanks, Roger.
I followed the first link and have put in a request for an estimate for the Corfirth logbook. Will keep you posted. However, the second link just says page not found.
The ships in question are the following: SS Cape Franklin, MV Cape Grenville, MV Cape Hawke, Cape Howe, SS Cape Nelson, MV Cape Rodney, SS Cape Sable, SS Cape Wrath, SS Cape York, SS City of Durham, SS Lady Dorothy and MV Lady McGowan. In addition, I haven't found the Fort Astoria, SS Sevilla and MV Lady Anstruther.
tgar