Mercantile marine reserve - Ships Nostalgia
09:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mercantile marine reserve

User Tag List

Old 4th August 2009, 16:36

Mercantile marine reserve

Please can anyone tell me anything about this in WW1?
I have an ancestor who served in the Royal Navy in HMS Champagne, an auxiliary cruiser formerly Oropesa, but he had a Continuous Certificate of Discharge book stamped T124X which I believe meant he was MMR
Old 4th August 2009, 17:26

To deal with the shortfall in manpower, a number of officers and men of the Merchant Marine agreed to serve with the Royal Navy under the terms of T.124 agreements, which made them subject to Naval discipline while generally retaining their Merchant Marine rates of pay and other conditions
Old 4th August 2009, 18:13

I remember these at Harwich during the war. It applied to the paddle steamers that were put under the White Ensign, the Masters and Mates were given RN ranks as were the ratings.
The building that is now the Town Hall at Harwich was HMS Minerva, HQ for t124t which were merchant tugs put under the White Ensign, serveral of the Sun tugs were based at Harwich during the war.

Regards Robert
Old 4th August 2009, 20:13

Thanks. The mystery is he was not in the merchant fleet before or after his RN service.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb View Post
Please can anyone tell me anything about this in WW1?
I have an ancestor who served in the Royal Navy in HMS Champagne, an auxiliary cruiser formerly Oropesa, but he had a Continuous Certificate of Discharge book stamped T124X which I believe meant he was MMR
If he had a Continuous Certificate of Discharge Book, would suggest he was Merchant Marine/Navy
Old 21st April 2011, 15:34

Further information has been found. He was in MMR and the number on his Continuous Certificate of Discharge book is 946561. This is not his official number so I guess is any old book replacing his after being torpedoed. Should the numbers be the same? Any views, please?