Tom Melay - Ships Nostalgia
22:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Tom Melay

User Tag List

Old 22nd August 2009, 18:25

Tom Melay

Hi

I am wondering if there is anyone who remembers my Granddad Tom Melay he was at sea from 1945 - 1964 a greaser or fireman I think.
He was Irish from Waterford. He was on the MV Madulsima in May 1960 and had to leave from Calcutta because his son had drowned back home.
I have some photo's of him but I seem to be having trouble adding them as an attachment.

Thanks Linda
Old 22nd August 2009, 20:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1967

My location
Cannot help you with regard to your Granddad but, incase of interest, a little on the ship that you mentioned :

This was the second of two Clyde-built Liverpool-registered ships built for Owners - Johnston Warren Line. The first one, a steam ship built by the Charles Connell shipyard in 1900, was lost through enemy action in WWI, torpedoed by a German U-boat (U-57) whilst on a homeward-bound passage from Baltimore to Liverpool, in a position 128 miles WNW of the Fastnet Rock

The second one, on which your Graddad served, a Motorship, was built by Harland & Wolff, at their Govan shipyard, as the 'Rowanmore', in 1956. She was a 8,495 tons cargo-ship with a B & W oil engine manufactured by the Builder.

In 1958 she was renamed Madulsima
In 1960 she was renamed Rowanmore once again
In 1973 she was renaned Andriana I
In 1977 she was renamed Marjorie Y
In 1979 (December) she arrived in Spain (Gandia) for breaking up
Old 22nd August 2009, 23:11

My location
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.