Where have all the Deck Crew gone ? - Ships Nostalgia
23:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Where have all the Deck Crew gone ?

User Tag List

Old 20th September 2009, 19:04

Where have all the Deck Crew gone ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where have all the Deck Crew gone?

I was at Alfred Holts Deck Boy Training School 16/12/1964-30/01/1965.
Then on these Ships
Helenus 28/01/65-10/02/65
Perseus 16/02/65-24/02/65
Machon 05/03 65-15/03/65
Demodicus 19/03/65-19/03/65
Dolius 19/03/65-09/06/65
Myrmidon 4/7/65-31/10/65
Demodocus 19/11/65-11/02/66. 21/02/66-01/03/66
Dolius 04/03/66-12/03/66
Neleus 15/04/66-10/05/66
Memnon 13/08/66-27/10/66. 28/11/66-03/03/67
Does anyone remember me or have any photographs?
Discharge Book R805875.

Andrew Clark Stewart ( Andy ) (Jock )
astew3184
Old 22nd September 2009, 08:46

Sorry I can't help you with the days gone by, but a modern (and true) answer to your question would be 'back to Poland'.
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:51

Andy,
I started in Blueys six years before you and sailed in three of those ships you listed, but not at the same time as you.
There are other BF deck crowd on the site, but few and far between I'm afraid. I've only come across one I sailed with.
Best regards,
Pat
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:57

Hi Andy: Seems we just missed each other on a few occasions. I was at the Blue funnel training school, two courses before your-self.
August 10th--September 19th 1964.

I was also on the Perseus home trade still part of my training 15/10/64--29/10/64. I then done two trips deep sea on her. 6/11/64--7/2/65
and 5/3/65--8/6/65.

Looking at your time on her you took her round the land while I was on leave. I was also on the Memnon 13/1/66--25/1/66.

I only have vague memories of the training school but do remember the very strict instructor Mr Obrien. Whilst doing the training Blue funnel paid for the lads from out of town to stay in the youth hostel on whetstone lane.

Regards tommy
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:50

Hi Tommy,

Yes I stayed in the YMCA at Whetstone Lane, Birkenhead,there is a good website about The Blue Funnel Line at www.rhiw.com it has some photos of the old training school its worth a look.
Regards
Andy
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:53

Thanks for the reply Pat have you had a look at the website www.rhiw.com its brought back some memories.
Regards
Andy
Old 24th September 2009, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by astew3184 View Post
Thanks for the reply Pat have you had a look at the website www.rhiw.com its brought back some memories.
Regards
Andy
Andy,
Yes, I was looking at it only last week, I go to the Rhiw site quite frequently, it is very interesting. I saw Captain Harris in one photo of the training school, and OB in another.
I was on the second course at that school in November/December 1958, and sailed from Birkenhead in the Achilles on Christmas Eve, my co-peggy was another first tripper, Peter Rust from Fleetwood.
Best Regards,
Pat
Old 24th September 2009, 20:23

Hi Andy and Pat:
First Andy. Many thanks for the link to the rhiw website.I have only had time to go through part of it, but so far impressed. It brought back some fond memories to see the building of the training school in Oddyssey. I still have a photo somewhere of the class taken on the roof.

Pat: Have you any information on the Blue Funnel Association? I have tried to google it but it keeps coming up web page unavailable.

Regards Tommy
Old 24th September 2009, 21:26

Tommy,
Someone asked that question a few months ago on this site, but I cant remember what the answer was! very frustrating.
All I know is the secretary of the BF Association is Dave Molyneux who lives in Wallasey. Dave was in the catering dept, I was with him on that Memnon in 1960.
That I'm afraid. is all I know about it, but I'm sure someone here will help.
Regards,
Pat
Old 19th October 2009, 16:08

bfa

just been to the annual bfa dinner at the adelphi over 120 people attended
dave molyneux number is 01516380544 he is the secretary
Old 29th December 2009, 00:13

anyone remember these lads,Peter Fanning, lampy on IXION ,Dave Cave ,Wally Jones,John Perry (HOLLYHEAD)Kevin Sealy ,Daisy Canavan,Phil Devitt,Harry and Jim Hunter (WICKLOW )Mick The Bull ,Bosun Diomed(69)Yorkshire,
Old 6th January 2010, 10:37

Hi Tony,
Would that be Kevin Sealy from Bray, Co Wicklow?
Sailed with him on the Elpenor round about '62.
Old 7th January 2010, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADDY View Post
Hi Tony,
Would that be Kevin Sealy from Bray, Co Wicklow?
Sailed with him on the Elpenor round about '62.
That'sis the same Kevin ,sadly Kevin passed away .I first met Kevin in Singapore in 67 and even though we lived near him the next time we met was outside the local school waiting to pick our grandkids ,we swopped many a yarn then .Sadly, Kevin passed away in the mid 90s.I used to visit him in the hospital,he loved to talk of his time in Blueys.
Old 7th January 2010, 19:08

My location
Greetings,

Where have all the Deck Crew gone;
Long time passing,
Long time ago.
Down the Dole Office (Along with the Sparkies, Engine Room and Catering Crew) everyone.
When will the bloody politicians ever learn, when will they ever learn.

Look Here

Pat Thompson
Fair Winds and Following Seas

You can't get enough photos of "O'Boats"
www.rfa-association.org.uk
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Royal-...44215142275876
Old 27th January 2010, 19:47

[QUOTE=tony poutch;391736]That'sis the same Kevin ,sadly Kevin passed away .I first met Kevin in Singapore in 67 and even though we lived near him the next time we met was outside the local school waiting to pick our grandkids ,we swopped many a yarn then .Sadly, Kevin passed away in the mid 90s.I used to visit him in the hospital,he loved to talk of his time in Blueys.[/QUO

Hi Tony,
While we're on the subject, know Matt Roach from Wexford ?
Nice guy, with him on Demodocus. early '60s.
Old 27th January 2010, 23:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
Re. Blue Funnel Association.

Dave Molyneux (Secretary)
375 Leasowe Road
Moreton
Merseyside CH46 2RE
Old 31st January 2010, 00:09

[QUOTE=PADDY;397655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony poutch View Post
That'sis the same Kevin ,sadly Kevin passed away .I first met Kevin in Singapore in 67 and even though we lived near him the next time we met was outside the local school waiting to pick our grandkids ,we swopped many a yarn then .Sadly, Kevin passed away in the mid 90s.I used to visit him in the hospital,he loved to talk of his time in Blueys.[/QUO

Hi Tony,
While we're on the subject, know Matt Roach from Wexford ?
Nice guy, with him on Demodocus. early '60s.
Hi Paddy,
I did a trip with Matt when I was j.o.s he was an out and out gent ,I remember an ab who was always shouting the odds ,Matt told me to pay him no heed ,he reckoned a man who had to keep shouting ,lacked confidence in his own ability .
Old 31st January 2010, 16:19

Lampy on Ixion

Peter Fanning, lampy on IXION rings a bell, around 1970 as far as I can recall.
Always OK for a chat and a beer.
Succour.
Old 1st February 2010, 20:15
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

Sailed with Mattie on Autolycus or Antilochus (67 -68). George Birch and Tony Casson as bosun respectively. Extremely happy but hard working ships.

BW

J
Old 2nd February 2010, 00:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Sailed with Mattie on Autolycus or Antilochus (67 -68). George Birch and Tony Casson as bosun respectively. Extremely happy but hard working ships.

BW

J
I Joined Antilochus on 2nd Jan 68 J F K was the bosun,I think I was with you on Menelaus in July 68.
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:05
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

You sure were Tony. Lofty Reynolds as Bosun. Apart from LR and yourself I cannot remember the names of any others, although an Irish AB called Bullock or Ballack comes to mind

Never liked the M class and only managed one trip.

JFK - well now we could start a thread on its own to discuss that one.

Will send you a PM when I get a free moment.

BW

J
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
You sure were Tony. Lofty Reynolds as Bosun. Apart from LR and yourself I cannot remember the names of any others, although an Irish AB called Bullock or Ballack comes to mind

Never liked the M class and only managed one trip.

JFK - well now we could start a thread on its own to discuss that one.

Will send you a PM when I get a free moment.

BW

J
John,
I'm with you on the 'M' boats, they were heavy on deck, and difficult to work. There was just not enough space around the winches, as if too much gear was crammed into the available space.
The accomodation wasn't too bad though.
I was in all of them except Machaon.
As for JFK, I never sailed with him, or indeed heard much about him good or bad. he cant possibly have been in the same league as Jack Cleary.
Regards,
Pat
Old 17th July 2010, 01:52

The only people in the same league as Cleary were The Bangor Bull and Joe Kavanagh. The Queen of the East, Peleus, was known as Joe Kavanaghs yatch for years. Do I know you I sailed in Achilles on Christmas Eve, Buffalo Bill Carmody was BoBo Ginger Pollitt Lamptrimmer I was chippy, Dereck Lawton was daywork with Brian Grainger, Jimmy Frackleton was in the watch with Mick Dutton (crossed the bar Last year) Hooky Walker was o/s Alec Stone Cook, Johnny Beglin was chief Steward and Digby Jones was the Old Man but I might be mistaken, it could have been Christmas 1959. Did a lot of Coasting, hated the M boats with those horrible McGregor hatches. Did Glasgow fortnightly, never battened down once, there just was not time, Just left the hatches up on the stops. got away with it for six years. The hatches always leaked. Went back to sea in a Victory ship, supposed to be punishnent, it wasn't, she was so easy to work, my best ship, the handiest ships in the fleet. The coasting bosuns were all semi retired or convalescent, Harry Hands, Harry Evans, Harry Bollins, Jack Cleary, George O'Niel, Theo the dutchman, Mick Finley the Wallesey Yank, and Ned Phillips.
Old 17th July 2010, 19:20

Chippy on the Achilles was George Kalitkin,George lived in a sheltered housing bungalow in Upton the last time I met him about 15 yrs ago. His son, also George, was a shipwright in Lairds.
Bosun , as you say was Carmody, Lampy, I cant remember his surname, first name was Bob, an old geezer with skin like well tanned leather
Micky Dutton was there,(sorry to hear of his death, he was a good bloke)Aussie Burke was daywork AB,Ricky Sayle, Kenny Bostock, Runcorn Griffiths were some more of the deck crowd.
Alec Stone was cook, and Beglin the ch steward.
I knew all those coasting bosuns, Harry Hands I was with deep sea on the Memnon. Ned Phillips was a good old chap, looked more like an old Welsh sheep farmer than a sailor.
Regards,
Pat
Old 17th July 2010, 23:31

Your right Pat I relieved George Kalitkin in mid 1959, must be the voyage after you left her. Ned Phillips is perfectly discribed as a Welsh sheep farmer. He was not fit to coast any more so went to Brocklebanks as a quatermaster. I did leave out possibly the most flamboyant of all Blue Funnel Bosuns, "The Omnipotent One, God, alias Harry Ellis and he looked like God on the Sistine Chape ceiling. He coasted Aeneus up to Riga with a tank of Palm Oil, it took them 19 days to discharge it. The 4th Mate was writing a book and Harry was giving him a hard time over it. Could he have been Richard Woodman, you wheelhouse dwellers may be able to advise. Regards Pat, Pat