|Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.
Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
J. & C. Harrison
J. & C. Harrison
J. & C. Harrison
The brothers John and Charles Harrison started a business in London in 1888 by buying two old steamers for the coal trade. In 1889 and 1890 another two colliers were purchased.
In 1891 the first newbuilding the HARLYN (1) joined the fleet, she was followed by four new colliers between 1893 and 1895.
In 1896 an amalgation of four collier owning fleets including the fleet of J. & C. Harrison took place and several colliers went to Wm. Cory & Sons Ltd including new ships which had been ordered but not yet delivered during 1896 and 1897 by J. & C. Harrison. Several steamers were ordered for delivery during 1897 and 1898 and they were all sold by the turn of the century and the fleet was then dormant for five years during a bad freight market.
In 1904 the new tramp HARCALO (2) was delivered to J. & C. Harrison and was followed by nine more steamers during 1905 and 1906.
J. & C. Harrison started a subsidiary Harrisons (London) Ltd and returned to owning colliers just before the First World War and by 1918 three colliers were owned (HARDEN, 1912, HARLOW, 1915 and HARLECH 1914). The latter was lost in 1924 by which time she was under Harrisonís (London) Collliers Ltd, which had been formed in 1919. The fleet remained small with the prefix HAR names and were sold of by the early 1940s.
During World War 1 eight ships were lost due enemy action and two were sold to British Owners, the HARLOW (3) was sold abroad. When the war was over only two ships were left in the fleet the HARPERLEY (2) and HARTINGTON.
The two tramps were transferred to the ownership of the newly formed Willis Steamship Co. Ltd in 1920 under the management of J. & C. Harrison (1920) Ltd, which was reconstructed by John and Charles Harrison in March 1920.
In 1924 the six ships of Dr. T.G. Adams of Liverpool was taken over, of which two were soon sold and the other four were renamed with the prefix HAR names.
In 1929 J. & C. Harrison took over the management of the National Steamship Co. previously managed by Fisher, Alimonda & Co. at that time the National Steamship Co. consisted of two old tramps.
Towards the end of 1929 a large new building program was started for their own account and for their Willis Steamship Co. Ltd and for the National Steamship Co.
In 1935 another Shipping company under the name of the Gowland Steamship Co. Ltd was set up by J. & C. Harrison.
During the depression all their ships were kept on going.
The company lost nineteen ships during World War 2, only six ships survived the onslaught.
Urgent replacements were needed after the war and several ships managed for the Ministry of War Tansport (MOWT) were purchased and orders were placed for new ships.
The fleet consisted of two Libertyís and three early post war ships and in 1956 the first of five modern trampships the HARBOROUGH entered service.
The ships were employed in world wide tramping throughout the sixties.
The advent of bulkcarriers meanes slowly the end for the traditional trampships and these were sold of and replaced by tho bulkcarriers the HARFLEET (2) and HARFLEUR (2).
These two bulkcarriers made voyages between Australia and Japan with coal and Iron ore until sold in 1979 due to the continuing low freight rates.
The Gowland Steamship Co. is still in existence as an investment company.
Name Built Builder Years of Service Tons
James Southern 1865 T. & W. Smith, North Shields 1888 purchased not renamed, 1888 renamed Harlow, 1890 sold, 12.1905 sunk in collision. 847
Cannel 1867 Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow Ex Cannel, 1888 purchased not renamed, 1889 renamed Clapton, 1890 sold 796
Harlow (1) See James Southern.
Clapton See Cannel.
Benamain 1878 Hall, Russell & Co Ltd., Aberdeen Ex Benamain, 1889 purchased from J. & A. Davidson not renamed, 29.3.1890 wrecked off Lundy Island and sank in Oxwich Bay. 381
Godrevy 1884 J. Priestman, Sunderland Ex Godrevy, 1890 purchased renamed Harbury, 11.3.1894 wrecked Mitahen Rocks, Elketaine Point, Algiers. 1,628
Harbury (1) See Godrevy.
Harlyn (1) 1891 Edwards Shipbuilding, North Shields 1894 sold to J.E. Guthe & Co. not renamed, 8.7.1906 wrecked Cape Negro, NS. 1,453
Glenfinlas 1874 London & Glasgow Shipbuilding, Glasgow Ex Glenfinlas, 1893 purchased from A.C. Gow & Co. not renamed, 1894 sold to K.O.F. Dalman, Sweden renamed Elfsborg, 8.12.1895 foundered in the North Sea. 2,154
Harbourne 1893 S.P.Austin & Son, Sunderland 29.3.1894 lost in collision off Flamborough Head. 1,158
Harberton (1) 1894 S.P.Austin & Son, Sunderland 1896 to Wm. Cory & Son, 30.3.1917 mined off Robin Hoodís Bay with the loss of 17 lives 1,443
Harden 1895 Edwards Shipbuilding, North Shields 11.1.1897 wrecked near Cape Passero. 1,958
Harlington 1895 S.P.Austin & Son, Sunderland 1896 sold to G.F. Johnson, 2.12.1914 wrecked Middle Sunk Sand, Thames. 1,032
Harpalus 1895 J.L. Thompson, North Sands 1896 to Wm. Cory & Son, 2.12.1916 sunk by explosive device from submarine. 1,445
Harborne 1896 S.P.Austin & Son, Sunderland 1896 to Wm. Cory & Son, 1920 renamed Coburn, 1921 sold to Elanchove renamed Ea, 1952 sold to S. Rivero Moran renamed Somio, 1968 scrapped at Santander. 1,278
Harbury (2) 1896 S.P.Austin & Son, Sunderland 1896 to Wm. Cory & Son, 1912 sold to Hansen & Erlandson renamed Smut, 1939 sold to A. Kalm renamed Aarne, 1941 seized by Germans renamed Heinrich von Plauen, 6.6.1943 bombed and sunk. 1,838
Harcalo (1) 1895 W. Pickersgill & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1897 purchased from Furness, Withy & Co. not renamed, 1898 sold to to Cia Bilbaina de Nav., Bilbao, Spain renamed Ganecogorta, 1908 sold to Cia Maritima del Norvion (Urquijo y Aldecoa), Bilbao renamed Mar Adriatico, 14.2.1917 torpedoed and sunk in Say of Biscay on voyage from Lisbon with copper. 2,401
Hardy 1880 H. McIntyre, Paisley Ex Mandarin, 1897 purchased renamed Hardy, 1897 sold to J.T. Harrison, 11.12.1911 sank after explosion off Ault. 637
Harlech (1) 1897 S.P.Austin & Son, Sunderland 1897 sold to US Government renamed Pompey, 1931 sold to Fernandez Bros renamed Samal, 29.12.1941 bombed and sunk in harbor of Manilla. 1,282
Harpenden (1) 1897 S.P.Austin & Son, Sunderland 1898 sold to J.A. Salton & Co., 1899 sold to Frank C. Strick renamed Serbistan, 1916 disappeared at sea. 2,934
Harlech (2) 1898 S.P.Austin & Son, Sunderland 1900 sold to R. Singlehurst renamed Javary, 1923 sold to Donald Bros renamed Jeanette, 1926 renamed Donnetta, 1927 scrapped at Baltimore. 1,199
Harmonic (1) 1898 S.P.Austin & Son, Sunderland 1899 sold to Frank C. Strick renamed Baluchistan, 1913 sold to J. Christensen, Norway renamed Rita Wallem, 1913 resold to Japan renamed Rinsho Maru later Ryusho Maru, 1933 scrapped after being sold several times. 2,746
Harmony (1) 1898 S.P.Austin & Son, Sunderland 1899 sold to R. Singlehurst renamed Napo, 1914 sold to J. Pitka & Co. renamed Koduma, 1918 to Russian Government renamed Tsimmervald, 1919 renamed Kodumaa, 26.9.1942 wrecked River Ouse. 1,118
Harperley (1) 1898 R. Craggs & Sons, Middlesborough 1898 sold to J.A. Salton & Co., 1898 sold to Frank C. Strick renamed Nigaristan, 1907 sold to W. Kunstmann, Germany renamed Britannia, 1920 ceded to Great Britain and transferred to Greek Government, 1921 renamed Athinae, 1923 sold renamed Akti, 1927 stranded at Alexandria, refloated and scrapped. 2,366
Harrington 1898 S.P.Austin & Son, Sunderland 1899 sold to R. & J.H. Rea, Liverpool renamed Calgarth, 1911 sold to Denaby & Cadeby renamed Sampan, 1923 sold to W. Schuchmann, Germany renamed Sudsee, 1947 allocated to Netherlands Government renamed Breskens, 1948 to (Stoomschip Hannah ) F.W. Uittenbogaart, Rotterdam renamed Houtlaan, 17.9.1948 capsized near Boisto Pilot Station. 1,730
Harport (1) 1898 S.P.Austin & Son, Sunderland 1899 sold to Australian United Steam Navigation Co., Brisbane not renamed, 1900 renamed Mareeba, 31.7.1908 wrecked near Newcastle, NSW. 1,747
Harcalo (2) 1904 Furness Withy, Middleton 1907 sold to N. Hallett & Co. renamed Silver Wings, 18.8.1915 wrecked Sable Island. 2,822
Harmonic (2) 1905 Furness Withy, Middleton 1917 sold to Jenkins ,E. Richards renamed Maindy House, 1921 sold to T. Nielsen renamed Olaf L Kongsted, 1924 sold to O. Ovesen renamed Paris, 1925 sold to Alexander Shipping Co. renamed Eastbury, 1937 sold to C. Strubin & Co., London renamed Lake Geneva, resold to Estonia not renamed, 1938 sold to Belgium renamed Bobby, , 1940 lost in collision with ss. MIDSLAND off Dungeness. 2,827
Harmony (2) 1905 Furness Withy, Middleton 1912 sold to Union SS Co. of New Zealand renamed Kauri, 1928 sold to Moller, Shanghai renamed Minnie Moller, 1936 sold to Hwah Sung SS Co., Shanghai renamed Hwah Foo, 1937 sunk as blockship in Yangtze. 2,833
Harley (1) 1905 Furness Withy, Middleton 1906 sold to Cie Royale Belgo Argentino, Antwerp renamed Baron Baeyens, 1934 scrapped at Antwerp. 3,518
Harlech (3) 1905 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 1914 sold to D.N. Calimeris renamed Calimeris, 1925 sold to E.L. Goulandris renamed Aristides L Goulandris, 1939 sold to W. Hacklin renamed Edit H., 1948 scrapped at Copenhagen. 3,470
Harlingen (1) 1905 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 9.11.1906 wrecked near Cape Frio. 3,477
Harperley (2) 1906 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 1928 sold to Greece renamed Stamos, Fafalios, 1934 scraopped at Rosyth and Charlestown. 3,990
Harley (2) 1906 Furness Withy, Middleton 1915 sold to Walker Armstrong & Co., Savannah renamed Southerner, 1916 sold to Garland SS Corp., New York renamed Carolinian, 1927 sold to G.E. Kulukundis renamed Proteus, 1932 sold to A.G. Lemos renaned Stefanios, 16.4.1934 wrecked near East Point, Mayo Is, CVI. 4,171
Harlyn (2) 1906 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 1914 sold to Mango & Co. renamed Ioanna, 1920 sold to H.R. Fletcher renamed Albany,1931 scrapped at Briton Ferry. 3,459
Harpenden (2) 1906 Furness Withy, Middleton 1913 sold to J. Stern, Rouen, France renamed Flore, 26.7.1917 mined and sunk. 3,553
Harlow (2) 1902 Short Bros., Pallion Ex Sagami, 1907 purchased from Common Brothers renamed Harlow, 1913 sold to Lloyd del Pacifico renamed Amista, 1932 scrapped at Savona. 4,212
Harport (2) 1907 J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields 1912 converted into a tanker, 1912 sold to Deutsche American Petroleum Co., 1914 sold to Standard Oil Co. of New Jersey renamed Dayton, 1925 sold to Olympic SS Co renamed Olympic, 22.1.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.130 3,986
Hartington (1) 1907 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 1931 sold to C.D. Calafatis, Piraeus renamed Fred, 1952 scrapped at Bruges. 4,043
Harcroft 1904 W. Pickersgill & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Ex Incharran, 1908 purchased from Hamilton Fraser renamed Harcroft, 1912 sold to C. Cartwright, Liverpool renamed Rio Pallaresa, 29.7.1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine with the loss of 2 lives. 4,043
Harfleur (1) 1909 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 1911 sold to Union Nav. Co. Ltd, Montreal, 1915 sold to Walker Armstrong & Co., Savannah renamed Georgiana, 1916 sold to Garland SS Corp., New York renamed Norlina, 4.8.1926 wrecked Horseshoe Point near San Francisco. 4,596
Harford 1909 J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields 1911 sold to K. Fujioka, Japan renamed Koju Maru, 1915 sold to Bell Bros & Co. renamed Belleveu, 1916 sold to Harrison Sons & Co. renamed Courtown, 27.9.1924 sunk in collision near Pendeen. 4,412
Harlesden (1) 1909 Sunderland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Sunderland 1917 sold to Japp Hatch & Co. renamed Fenchurch, 1927 sold to N. Pateras' Sons renamed Krysanthi Pantera, 24.11.1930 destroyed by fire. 4,334
Harpeake 1909 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 1913 sold to J. Moss & Co. renamed Sebek, 21.4.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine. 4,601
Harpagus (1) 1910 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 9.5.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine. 5,866
Harpalion (1) 1910 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 24.2.1915 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine. 5,867
Harmattan (1) 1911 Swan Hunter & W. Richardson Ltd., Wallsend on Tyne 5.5.1917 mined and sunk near Cape Rosa, Algeria. 4,791
Harpalyce (1) 1911 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 10.4.1915 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine. 5,930
Harmatris (1) 1912 Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle 8.3.1916 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine with the loss of 4 lives. 4,863
Harflete (2) 1913 Bartram & Sons, Sunderland 26.4.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine with the loss of 1 live. 4,814
Harflete (1) 1913 Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Willington on Tyne Launched as Harflete for J. & C. Harrison Ltd., London, and 3.1913 completed as Clan Mackellar for The Clan Line Steamers Ltd, 1937 sold to McCowen and Gross Ltd., London, under the Scrap and Build Scheme and renamed Moorcot 1939 broken up. 4,925
Harlow (3) 1913 Wm Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1914 sold to Roland Linie, Bremen renamed Gernis, 1914 interned at Sabang, 1918 to the Netherlands as a war reparation, to Nederlandsch Amerikaansche Scheepvaart Maatschappij (HAL), Rotterdam renamed Noorderdijk, 1931 sold renamed Provvindenza, 1940 torpedoed and sunk by British submarine Truant near IstriŽ. 5,550
Harpathian (1) 1913 Sunderland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., South Dock, Sunderland 5.6.1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine off Cape Henry, Va. 4,588
Harbury (3) 1913 Sunderland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., South Dock, Sunderland 9.6.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine with the loss of 12 lives. 4,572
Harfield 1904 Russell & Co., Port Glasgow Ex Hillgrove built for H. Evans & Co., ex Calyx 1907, 1913 purchased from Hoyland & Co. renamed Harfield, 1914 sold to Pellie & Co., Italy renamed Primo, 17.12.1916 wrecked Hormigas. 3,465
Coquetmede 1911 Short Bros., Pallion Ex Thornhill built for Taylor & Sanderson, ex Coquetmede 1918, 1924 taken over with fleet of Dr. T.G. Adams of Liverpool not renamed, 1925 sold to Anglo Commercial Shipping Co., Newcastle renamed Anderton, 1930 sold to Progres renamed Perast, 1946 sold to Jugoslavenska Lines renamed Neretva, 1960 scrapped Kawasaki. 3,859
Thamesmede 1907 R. Craggs & Sons, Middlesborough Ex Transport built for Tremellen & Thomas, ex Thamesmede 1917, 1924 taken over with fleet of Dr. T.G. Adams of Liverpool not renamed, 1925 sold to D.J. Pateras & Sons renamed Di Amantis, 10.10.1929 wrecked Vallinsbrund, Norrskar Is and scrapped at Vasa in 1931. 3,619
Harpagus (2) 1917 W. Pickersgill & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Ex Oakmore built for Furness Withy & Co., ex Clydemede 1920, 1924 taken over with fleet of Dr. T.G. Adams of Liverpool renamed Harpagus, 1928 sold to D.A. Pateras ,Greece renamed Marouko Pateras, 3.11.1941 wrecked, 5.11.1941 wreck sunk. 4,269
Harpalion (2) 1917 W. Pickersgill & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Ex Swindon built for E. Thomas, Radcliffe, ex Cottesmore 1917 for Furness Withy & Co., ex Avonmede 1920, 1924 taken over with fleet of Dr. T.G. Adams of Liverpool renamed Harpalion, 1931 sold to N.G. Livanos, Greece renamed Theofano, 1937 sold to N.J. Pateras renamed Dirphys, 8.6.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.108. 4,240
Harmattan (2) 1918 R. Duncan & Co., Port Glasgow Ex War Fantail built for The Shipping Controler, ex Nilemede 1919, 1924 taken over with fleet of Dr. T.G. Adams of Liverpool renamed Harmattan, 1928 sold to Brynmor SS Co, London renamed Danybryn, 1931 sold to Jadran Brodarsko d.d, Bakar, Yugoslavia renamed Jadran, 1933 sold to Soc.Misr de Navigation Maritime, Alexandria renamed Arafat, 1936 sold renamed Carras Bros, Chios renamed Fotini Carras, 7.6.1939 wrecked South Bellona Reefs. 4,453
Harpalyce (2) 1917 W. Pickersgill & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Ex Llanover built for E. Thomas Radcliffe, ex Linmore for Furness Withy & Co. 1917, ex Shannonmede 1920, 1924 taken over with fleet of Dr. T.G. Adams of Liverpool renamed Harpalyce, 1929 sold to E. Nicholl renamed Lyttleton, 1932 sold to L.Z. Cambanis heirs renamed Leonidas Z Cambanis, 3.4.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.74. 4,274
Harberton (2) 1930 Short Bros., Pallion 1951 sold to Meiji Kaiun, Japan renamed Meisei Maru, 1960 sold to Hokuyo Suisan renamed Shinyo Maru, 14.11.1965 wrecked at Estori, east of Sakhalin Island. 4,585
Harmonic (3) 1930 R. Thompson & Co. Ltd, Southwick 15.7.1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.172 with the loss of 1 live. 4,558
Harperley (3) 1930 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 5.5.1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.264 with the loss of 11 lives. 4,585
Harpenden (3) 1930 Bartram & Sons, Sunderland 11.9.40 torpedoed and severely damaged, rebuilt as Empire Stour, managed by J & C. Harrison, 1947 sold to Bharat Line Ltd, Bombay renamed Bharatjal, 1957 sold to Linea Adriatica Gulfo Perso, Costa Rica renamed Al Riyadh, 1958 sold to Cia.Maritima di Isola Spetsia, Costa Rica renamed Spetsai Patriot, 1963 scrapped at Split. 4,678
Harpagus (3) 1930 J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields 1937 sold to Rob M. Sloman, Hamburg renamed Sizilien, 4.5.1943 bombed and sunk by British arircraft off Terschelling. 4,647
Harmattan (3) 1930 R. Thompson & Co. Ltd, Southwick 1952 sold to W.H. Schlieker & Co., Hamburg renamed Marga, 1971 scrapped at Split. 4,558
Harpalyce (3) 1930 J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields 1937 sold to Stoomvaart Maatschappij Oostzee, Amsterdam renamed Loppersum, 1956 sold to F.I. Croce renamed Luisita Groce, 28.1.1960 wrecked. 4,691
Harpathian (2) 1930 Bartram & Sons, Sunderland 8.4.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.107 with the loss of 4 lives. 4,671
Hartington (2) 1932 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 2.11.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarines U.552 and U.521 with the loss of 24 lives. 5,495
Harlesden (2) 1932 Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd., Hebburn 22.2.1941 sunk by gunfire with the loss of 7 lives. 5,483
Harpalion (3) 1932 Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd., Hebburn 13.4.1942 bombed and sunk. 5,486
Hartlepool 1932 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 1951 sold to Wheelock & Marden renamed Zuiko, 1952 sold to Sanko Kisen renamed Zuiko Maru, 17.1.1968 wrecked off Yakeyama Saki, Aomori. 5,500
Harborough (1) 1932 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 14.9.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.515 with the loss of 5 lives. 5,415
Harmanteh 1932 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 22.5.1938 wrecked Zealous Island, Messier Channel, Chile. 5,415
Harmatris (2) 1932 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 1951 sold to Wheelock & Marden renamed Choko, 1952 sold to Sanko Kisen, Japan renamed Choko Maru, 1964 scrapped at Shodoshima. 5,395
Hartismere (1) 1933 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool 8.7.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.100. 5,498
Harbledown Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 4.4.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.94 with the loss of 16 lives. 5,414
Harbury (4) 1933 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 5.5.1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarines U.628 and U.264 with the loss of 7 lives. 5,081
Harcalo (3) 1933 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 6.6.1940 mined and sunk with the loss of 3 lives. 5,081
Hardingham (1) 1933 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 8.6.1940 mined and sunk with the loss of 2 lives. 5,415
Harlingen (2) 1933 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 5.8.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.75 with the loss of 2 lives. 5,415
Harpasa 1934 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 5.4.1942 bombed and sunk with the loss of 6 lives. 5,082
Hartlebury 1934 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 7.7.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.355 with the loss of 38 lives. 5,082
Harpagon (1) 1935 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 20.4.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.109 with the loss of 41 lives. 5,719
Harmala 1935 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 7.2.1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.614 with the loss of 53 lives. 5,730
Harpalycus (1) 1935 Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd., Hebburn 1956 sold to Tsavliris, Greece renamed Georgios Tsavliris, 1964 renamed Newmeadow, 23.11.1966 foundered. 5,629
Harpalyce (4) 1940 Bartram & Sons, Sunderland 25.8.1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.124 with the loss of 37 lives. 5,169
Harpagus (4) 1940 Bartram & Sons, Sunderland 20.5.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.94 with the loss of 58 lives. 5,173
Harpagus (5) 1942 Wm Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1944 sold to the Hain Steamship Co. Ltd, 19.8.1944: struck a mine 1 Ĺ miles North of the West Breakwater, Arromanches Harbour, France, whilst on a voyage from Southend to Arromanches with a cargo of military stores. She broke in two, and the fore part quickly sank. The after part was beached, but later refloated and towed to Southampton for discharge. She was taken in tow for the River Tyne, but grounded again on West Barrow Sand in the Thames Estuary. After refloating she was beached off Sheerness where overhanging obstructions were removed. The tow to the River Tyne was restarted and she arrived 1. 12.1944, having put into Leith on account of bad weather. A new fore part was ordered and launched 5.1946. After fitting to the original after part, the vessel was renamed Treworlas, 1956 transferred to P & O Steam Navigation Company, 1958 returned to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd, 1.6.1960: Grounded on Madira Reef in the Persian Gulf in position 28.49 N, 48.45 E, and 7.6.1960 refloated. Sailed under her own power for Falmouth where drydocked and declared a constructive total loss. Sold to British Iron and Steel Corporation for demolition and sailed from Falmouth 18.9.1960 in tow of the tug TRADESMAN 592/22.214.171.1240: Arrived at Briton Ferry where work was commenced by Thomas W. Ward Ltd. 7,271
Harpalyce (5) 1942 Wm Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1944 sold to the Hain Steamship Co. Ltd, 1945 renamed Trewellard, 1962 sold to to Santa Marina Compania Maritime S.A., Greece, and renamed Artemon, 7.10.1965: arrived at Piraeus, Greece, with engine trouble sustained whilst on a voyage from Cebu to Rotterdam. Fire broke out in her cargo, and was discovered 1.11.1965 and as a result she was beached in Ambelaki Bay in order that fire fighting could take place. The fire was not extinguished until 8.11.1965. Declared a constructive total loss and left Piraeus in tow 29.9.1966 for Valencia and demolition. 12.1966: Work commenced by Desguaces Incolesa. 7,269
Hardingham (2) 1942 Wm Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 5.4.1945 sunk after fire and explosion Outer Anchorage, near Colombo. 7,269
Harlesden (3) 1943 Wm Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1944 sold to the Hain Steamship Co. Ltd, 1945 renamed Trewidden,1959 sold to Black Star Line Ltd., Ghana renamed Ankobra River, 1964 sold to Tenes Shipping Company, Liberia renamed Eland 1968 sold to Tien Cheng Steel Manufacturing Ltd. for demolition and arrived 29.10.1968 at Kaohsiung, Taiwan. 7,273
Hartington (3) 1945 Wm Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1962 sold to World-Wide Shipping renamed Abaco, 1963 renamed Funabashi, 16.2.1966 damaged in collision and beached, later scrapped at Singapore. 7,325
Harpagon (2) 1944 New England Shipbuilding Corp., Portland Ex Samderry type Liberty EC2-S-C1 built for USMC, loaned to MOWT, 1947 purchased renamed Harpagon, 1958 sold to Parpanta Cia Nav. renamed Maria Xilas, 1967 scrapped at Hirao. 7,219
Harperley (4) 1943 Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool Ex Empire Prowess, 1947 purchased renamed Harperley, 1955 sold to J.A. Billmeir & Co. Ltd renamed Elstead,1959 scrapped at Nagasaki. 7,058
Harpathian (3) 1944 J. A. Jones Construction Co. Inc., Brunswick Ex Samaustral type Liberty EC2-S-C1 built for USMC, loaned to MOWT, 1947 purchased renamed Harpathian, 1956 sold to Soc. Di Nav. Tito Campanella (T. Campanella), Italy renamed Suncampanella, 1963 sold to Marpotente Cia. Nav. S.A. (Angelos), Liberia renamed Caliopi A, 1966 sold to Overland Trust Bank renamed Marach, 1971 scrapped at Bilbao. 7,219
Harpalion (4) 1947 Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Burntisland 1962 sold to Marveras renamed Almar, 1976 sold to Kos International renamed IJesha Lion, 1979 sold renamed Halli, 14.6.1977 damaged by fire, 1979 scrapped at Santandar. 5,441
Hartismere (2) 1947 Wm Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1962 sold to J.W. Elwell & Co. renamed Recife, 1963 sold to Enchimar renamed Carolina, 1965 sold to E.A. Karavias renamed Tarseus, 1973 scrapped at Faslane. 5,719
Harborough (2) 1956 Blyth Shipbuilding & Drydocks Co. Ltd., Blyth 18.4.1959 sunk in collision Weser Estuary. 6,672
Harpagus (6) 1958 Wm Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1968 lengthened 9,875gt, 1973 sold renamed Irinikos, 1980 sold renamed Victory Five, 1982 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 9,114
Harpalyce (6) 1958 Wm Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1968 lengthened 9,963gt, 1972 sold to Greece renamed Patagonia, 1974 sold renamed Efcharis, 1981 sold renamed Intra Trophy, 1983 scrapped at Conchin. 9,114
Harmattan (4) 1959 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 1968 lengthened 10,441gt, 1972 scrapped at Karachi. 9,236
Harpalycus (2) 1959 Blyth Shipbuilding & Drydocks Co. Ltd., Blyth 1968 lengthened 10,248gt, 1975 sold to Greece renamed Filikos, 1980 sold renamed Sabrina, 1982 scrapped at Bombay. 9,163
Harfleet 1973 Scotstoun Marine, Scotstoun 1979 sold renamed Chi Grace, 1979 sold renamed Atlas, 1981 sold renamed Antacus, 16.7.1984 foundered. 16,715
Harfleur (2) 1974 Scotstoun Marine, Scotstoun 1979 sold renamed Chi Trust, 1980 sold renamed Andromeda, 1981 sold renamed Arion, 1986 sold renamed Arhon, 1999 scrapped at Alang. 16,715
Source: Middlemiss Travel of the tramps Vol1
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|J & C Harrison Information requested||john1950||Other Companies/Ships||33||24th August 2018 11:18|
|M.V Harfleet / Harfleur - S.S Harfleet / Harfleur||vickylou26||Ship Research||25||25th October 2017 17:25|
|J & C Harrison of London||Coopermalcolm||Ship Research||22||28th March 2016 22:56|