Builder's Model "Glenearn" - Ships Nostalgia
21:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Builder's Model "Glenearn"

User Tag List

Old 9th June 2010, 11:37

My location
Builder's Model "Glenearn"

A friend recently sent me a cutting from the Dundee Courier with a picture and brief article [attached] about the sale of the builder's model of "Glenearn" The sale price of £61,000 is pretty amazing, I thought.
I wonder how many more of these lovely old models are still around [ATT[ATTACH]18795
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04-19-2010 10;24;55AM.JPG (154.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 9th June 2010, 11:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1952

Builders Model Glenearn

Very interesting - suprising it went for so much.- I actually sailed on her maiden voyage after she was refurbished on being handed back to her owners by the Royal Navy, I also have a builders model of "Eastern Ranger' built at Joseph Thompson's yard Sunderland in 1961 for Indo China(Jardine Matheson) she was sold to Hong Kong Island Shipping Co. and renamed "Tsing Yi Island." finally went to the breakers in Taiwan. regards Teb

"Eastern Ranger
Old 9th June 2010, 12:13

I saw this model of the Glenearn often in the main entrance hall at the Caledon Shipyard when I went there over several years to do the audit in the 1970's.

It was in a class case and was incredibly detailed. There were also photos of every ship built at the yard lining the walls of the hall and boardroom. I believe that the Caledon archives passed to Dundee Council when the yard closed and assumed that the photos and models went there also. Obviously not.

There was (maybe still is) a museum above the library in Ward Road where numerous builders models of ships were displayed. Given the price paid for the Glenearn, I wonder what that collection would be worth.
Old 10th June 2010, 10:53

My location
Blue Funnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Inglis View Post
A friend recently sent me a cutting from the Dundee Courier with a picture and brief article [attached] about the sale of the builder's model of "Glenearn" The sale price of £61,000 is pretty amazing, I thought.
I wonder how many more of these lovely old models are still around [ATT[ATTACH]18795
In retrospect, I think this message [above] should have been entitled Blue Funnel so that it would go into the Blue Funnel section. As has been discussed in great detail Glen Line and Blue Funnel were one and the same as far as sea staff were concerned, and there are many around who would have sailed on "Glenearn".
I am hoping this will now be posted in the Blue Funnel section.

Tom Inglis