NE Coast Companies - Ships Nostalgia
20:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

NE Coast Companies

User Tag List

Old 15th November 2005, 16:37
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
NE Coast Companies

In the haydays of our Merchant Navy alot of the NE Coast Companies rgistered their vessels in Newcastle,North Shields,British West Hartlepool etc. Where there ever any vessels registered in South Shields as at the time was a very large Seamans community.
Old 15th November 2005, 16:59

I was under the impression that only certain ports were able to register ships, Newcastle up here in the north east for example. I thought North Shields and South Shields were mainly for Fishing boats. I may be wrong on this.
Old 15th November 2005, 17:04

My location
Stag Line

Jeff
I sailed with the above Tyne based company for 8 years all their vessels were registered in North Shields - where office was also.
Old 15th November 2005, 18:39

You are quite right and I was completely wrong.
Old 15th November 2005, 20:47

how about HEDLEM of WHITBYall there ships where registered there and not one of them could get in the port. i.e.EGTON RUNSWICK KILDAER SANDSEND SNEATON all big ships 8500tons ect
Old 16th November 2005, 00:13

My location
Hedlam

Thats right Sam plus Turnbull Scotts as well.
Old 16th November 2005, 11:57

Crawls in a corner and hides head in shame.
Old 16th November 2005, 13:31
Organisation: Coastguard
Active: 2001 - Present

I sailed to Velvor Liquids (now no more) at South Shields in 1976 on a cheme tanker, don't think that was a fishing vessel!
Old 16th November 2005, 14:45

What was the name of the tanker I may have been the Pilot. Velva liquids is now a small housing estate
Old 16th November 2005, 17:54

It was the Anco Duchess, I was sailing as Chief Engineer's Daughter. My Auntie says that you buy one of those flats and get a free jack russell to cope with rats!
Old 16th November 2005, 18:03

Spot on, I served my time sitting at the end of the Pilot Jetty right next door and we used to ping them off with air guns, they live in the rocks just above the high water level and used to scavenge around the riverside they now find better pickings in dust bins. I never Piloted the Anco Dutchess by the way.
Old 16th November 2005, 18:14

Oh happy days! Was back in Shields (have family still there) about 4 years ago and where all the docks etc used to be is all built on. Sad to see.

Regards
CED

Last edited by Chief Engineer's Daughter; 17th November 2005 at 09:16..
Old 16th November 2005, 21:56
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
Ropners used to have West Hartlepool on the stern, British or otherwise.
David
Old 16th November 2005, 22:31

Likewise Metcalfe's "Industria" and "Dunelmia". Also, pretty sure Bolton's were registered in Middlesbrough.

Not in the Northeast, but Geest ships were registered in Boston, and occasionally Americans, querying why a US ship was flying the Red Duster, had to be informed about the real Boston - in Lincolnshire!

John T.
Old 17th November 2005, 01:27

Reardon Smith

Did they not have their vessels registered in some small port in Devon,UK.
Old 17th November 2005, 01:28
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasia
Did they not have their vessels registered in some small port in Devon,UK.
Yes, that was Bideford
Old 17th November 2005, 02:23

Before you could register a ship in a port there had to be a registry there, and indeed, in the times we are talking about there were a large number of registries around the country's ports, allowing some quite excentric registries with some owners often for reasons of family connections etc. However, there was a proposal many years back, before I left the UK, to reduce to one central registry in London as the sole UK registry. I would imagine this went through, the exceptions being what are in effect indigenous flags of convenience like Douglas IOM etc.
CBoots
Old 17th November 2005, 02:37
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Department: Navigation

My location
That has actually happened. There is only one registry office now, and that's in Cardiff. So technically, all British ships are registered there, and it's the place where you send to for discharge books etc.
However, part of the deal for changing to Cardiff was that shipowners were allowed to paint a 'Port of Preference' on the Stern, i.e., you could have your ship 'registered' anywhere you like, but it wasn't really registered there, if you know what I mean.

Jim
Old 17th November 2005, 03:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelo1954
Yes, that was Bideford
Don't know when it changed. Up until at least the '70s Geest ships were all registered in Boston, Lincs. near where Mr Geest had started his tulip business.

John T.
Old 17th November 2005, 15:18
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Dishcharge Books and Tickets

Discharge books were for some reason issued in different places. I have two books the first goes up to 1972 issued in Dundeeand the second starts in 1973 issued Tyne & Weir South Shields . The format inside the books is slightly different . I guess everone must have had to a new book at that time ? I dont rember why ?? Can anybody remember why ? I remember I had to get my new book in a hurry to join a ship so I went down to Shields in person to avoid mail delays . Issued 31 Jan 1973 and I was signed on the Luminous in Ras Tanura 4th Feb .
Regarding tickets although I sat my Chiefs in Aberdeen it was issued at The Port of Inverness ( I lived in Inverness at that time ) I got a letter advising me to pick it up at the Customs House in Inverness. The customs officer who gave me the Ticket said it was the first he had issued ?? I seem to recollect I was asked where I wanted it issued as it took some time after the examinations / orals before the document was issued for some reason ?
Does anybody have similar experiences ? Perhaps Inverness was the centre for the Highlands and Islands ??

Derek
Old 17th November 2005, 15:31

My location
Discharge Books

Same here my first Book was issued in South Shields and replacement issued in Hull.Could this be because most of our ports at the time had Shipping offices there.
Old 17th November 2005, 15:35

I to have a new discharge book issued in 1973. The main difference I can see is there is no space for the Master to report on your Ability and conduct. No more Double DR's.
Old 17th November 2005, 16:57
Super Moderator

My location
Geoff You are correct there were no more reports as to character ; ability and general conduct .
Must have been a reason for that change ; legal issue perhaps.
Lets see if anyone can answere this one .
I think at that time Tyne and Wear were handling all dishcharge books as opposed to local mercantile marine offices which had been the case proir to 1973 .
Derek
Old 17th November 2005, 18:36

Iv'e also got a sneaky feeling, it was to do with a change of the governing body from Board of Trade to Ministry of Transport, but am quite prepared to be shot down again on this one.
Old 17th November 2005, 18:46
Super Moderator

My location
Doti

Was that when the Board of Trade changed to DOTI Department of Trade and Industry .? I think so as my new book has that on the front whereas the old one has Ministry of Transport .