Brightlingsea Skipper..E.C. Norton - Ships Nostalgia
21:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Brightlingsea Skipper..E.C. Norton

User Tag List

Old 19th October 2010, 11:17

My location
Brightlingsea Skipper..E.C. Norton

I,ve been researching my family history and found my Great Grandfather was a skipper out of Brightlingsea, on a fishing boat. Evidently he was one of the earliest to get his Certificate of Competency as Skipper. Anyone have any information about the fishing industry in Brightlingsea around 1885 when he got his ticket. Thanks Alan.
Old 19th October 2010, 13:02

My location
Hello Alan
Not a lot to add
according to the 1881 census 3rd April Elijah Charles Norton aged 30 and married was an AB on the 25 Ton fishing smack “Velocity Official No 48987

1891 census he is with his wife Emily E aged 35 and his 4 children, he is now a Master M aged 40ariner

1901 he is now in Cleethorpes 7 West Street with his wife and 6 children he is now an Oyster Merchant manager
Ray
Old 21st October 2010, 13:34

My location
Thanks for the information Ray, I,ve now found out he moved to Morecambe where he died in 1928, after working for Musson & Co in Cleethorpes. Will visit his grave in the near future to pay my respects. Thanks once again Alan.
Old 11th December 2011, 15:22

Alan

Half my family lived in B'sea between about 1910 and the 1990s and I have published a few booklets on its history. In the one on the 14-18 war I mention an elderly Norton (J Norton) and his son Fred, who were seized in Germany from a sailing barge in 1914. I also have a 1912 and 1926 A-Z Town Directory which lists Nortons.
I've just put a request on "Shipsnostalgia" for more recollections of old B'sea.
When young I used to stay for a week every summer and got to know the harbour very well.

Julian Foynes
Old 11th December 2011, 15:26

B'sea Nortons

Alan

I forget to say that a book by the late Alf Wakeling "Sun, Sea, Sails" has a certain amount, also John Leather's 1970s book "The Northseamen".
If you were able to see the 1881 or 1991 census of B'sea online, it's fascinating to see all those familar names and addresses, 80% of them connected to fishing or oysters.

Julian
Old 12th December 2011, 00:05

Hello,
I can find a POW F Norton 123, New St, Brightlingsea, first mate on the barge TINTARA official number 102817. I suspect the older man was repatriated due to his age.
TINTARA was spitsail barge, 65 grt, built at Bow Creek in 1893, registered in London, owned in 1915 by Ebenezer Whitemore of Brightlingsea.
I know that she was still sailing in 1937

Roger
Old 12th December 2011, 22:19
Active: 1936 - 1986

Hi Roger and Julian,
I knew and liked Brightlingsea before the war when I was in
sailing barges bound for Ipswich or Yarmouth.
We often had a day or two there at anchor windbound and
the skipper and I would go to the ''Anchor'' pub for 'shelter'...
The barmaid was Olga.
Regards,
Stan
Old 15th December 2011, 14:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1974 - Present

Possibly relevant...

At 25 tons the VELOCITY would have been a first class smack, going foreign, espescially to the Terschelling oyster grounds.

First class smacks were exinct for many years but there is once again an example of a Brighlingsea first class smack sailing ,as the PIONEER CK17 has been totally rebuilt and sails out of Brightlingsea.

Website here

http://www.pioneersailingtrust.org.u...8/Default.aspx
Old 20th December 2011, 14:19

My location
Thanks for all for the new information, recently been side tracked after finding the wifes uncle won the Military Medal in the 1st WW. Happy Xmas to you all, Alan.
Old 14th September 2012, 00:16

Tintara was kept in Germany in a small riverside port on the Rhine river called Oberwinter, which is basically in the municipality of Remagen. It was there alongside another British barge called Carisbrooke Castle, mastered by John Hoogenbos, a brother of my great grandfather. Both ships were released by the germans in november 1918 and returned to Britain.

I am researching John Hoogenbos´ life a Dutchman living in Britain as a master mariner.

Does any one know where I can find POW records in Germany for world war 1

Rob Hoogenbos