1800's - Ships Nostalgia
18:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

1800's

User Tag List

Old 24th May 2011, 18:27

1800's

In hunting my ancesters, have come across a Thomas Goodsir - Master Mariner who married one of my distant Female relatives in 1822 in Exmouth. At the time he was on a Transfer Sailing Brigg - the question is - wise men of the sea - What was a Transfer Brigg ???
Please !! - was 'Transfer' do you think the ship's name, what they used to call coasters, or something more sinister ?
Even on the 'Conway' ( which still floated when I was there ) they didn't teach me the answer to that question - Help
Old 24th May 2011, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN.T View Post
In hunting my ancesters, have come across a Thomas Goodsir - Master Mariner who married one of my distant Female relatives in 1822 in Exmouth. At the time he was on a Transfer Sailing Brigg - the question is - wise men of the sea - What was a Transfer Brigg ???
Please !! - was 'Transfer' do you think the ship's name, what they used to call coasters, or something more sinister ?
Even on the 'Conway' ( which still floated when I was there ) they didn't teach me the answer to that question - Help
John I don't know if this helps but my wife has done lots of research and has come across the term many times in old records: re The transfer to the colonies of those sentenced to labour, aboard transfer Briggs .Seems to me that he was a master in charge of such a ship

Regards tony
Old 25th May 2011, 19:26

Thanks Tony sounds horrible enough. However he and his wife showed up in different Ports, and I would have thought that if it was used for that purpose, it must onlt be attached to one Port?
Thanks again

JOHN.T
Old 25th May 2011, 20:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN.T View Post
courtesy admiral w.h. smyth author "sailor's word book"

see attachment, it looks like transfer was a legal term applied to vessels captured during hostilities and awaiting the courts blessing before it was assigned to new owners legally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transfer.JPG (110.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 25th May 2011, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuckham View Post
courtesy admiral w.h. smyth author "sailor's word book"

see attachment, it looks like transfer was a legal term applied to vessels captured during hostilities and awaiting the courts blessing before it was assigned to new owners legally
Joe That sounds like the answer to me Well done Tony
Old 27th May 2011, 11:17

Thanks to you both- I knew the wise men of the sea would have the answer.Would the ship have kept her original name, during the time of juristriction or just called 'Transfer'

Thanks again

JOHN.T