Nautical Colleges - Ships Nostalgia
20:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Nautical Colleges

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 23rd December 2005, 13:08
DCMARINE DCMARINE is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 98
Nautical Colleges

I was at Robert Gordon's School of Navigation (now taken over by Aberdeen College) for 2nd Mate's in the last quarter of 1968, Mate's in the same period in 1970, and Master's in same period in 1975. These were large classes with most of the same people on each one. Would like to hear where any of them are now.
Donald Campbell
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17th March 2006, 18:15
mclean's Avatar
mclean mclean is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 691
Nautical Colleges

Attended College of Technology Belfast for Pre-Sea training in 1957. Studied for tickets at Blythe Street in Belfast. Anyone remember Blythe Street? Colin
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25th March 2006, 11:00
tercar tercar is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 48
Hull Trinity House 1946-1949. Anyone else out there?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25th March 2006, 16:13
lakercapt lakercapt is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
My location
Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400
Leith Nautical College 54/56. I have the college's centenary "Sea Dominies" if anyone wants a copy.
I was there for presea training in 1952 and did my other certificates there as well.
Would be interested in reading about "sea Dominies" asthe only guy I remember from that period was Capt Wright. Of course Captain Tait of the Dolphin will forever be in my memeory
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25th March 2006, 19:51
WLH WLH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 517
Pre-sea early forties, Captain MacKay, Mr. Bogie, Pricipal W.Fisher: Enormous fun with lifeboat drill (Board of Trade Sports) for Lifeboat Ticket, West Old Dock. Much later at Radar School, Imperial Basin, Next to Pilot Station - Mr. Moffatt.
Regards...............WLH
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25th March 2006, 20:09
Jim S Jim S is online now   SN Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,386
Nautical Colleges

Did my 2nd Class Steam Certificate at the West Graham Street annexe of Stow College, Glasgow. Before it went all upmarket as the "Stow College of Nautical Studies"
Ist Class Steam Cert and Motor endorsement at Kingsway Technical College, Dundee. There were only two class rooms and two lecturers in an annexe well away from the great unwashed that attended the Tech College.
Mr Barrie did all the Part A subjects. Mr Simpsons all the Part B subjects.
Much of the Engineering Knowledge was done on a "self teach" basis using past exam papers. Mr Simpson for some reason always wanted candidates to take their exams at Leith - just to be different I went to Glasgow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13th October 2006, 20:13
BarryM BarryM is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
Did my 2nd Class Steam Certificate at the West Graham Street annexe of Stow College, Glasgow. Before it went all upmarket as the "Stow College of Nautical Studies"
Ist Class Steam Cert and Motor endorsement at Kingsway Technical College, Dundee. There were only two class rooms and two lecturers in an annexe well away from the great unwashed that attended the Tech College.
Mr Barrie did all the Part A subjects. Mr Simpsons all the Part B subjects.
Much of the Engineering Knowledge was done on a "self teach" basis using past exam papers. Mr Simpson for some reason always wanted candidates to take their exams at Leith - just to be different I went to Glasgow.
Stow College remained Stow College and still exists having avoided being built over by the M8. West Graham Street also still exists but the Annexe building is long gone under new housing.

The Glasgow College of Nautical Studies was built on the south side of the Clyde and all marine courses (and W.Graham Street staff) transferred there. These days the last two words in the title seem to be getting smaller and smaller - just like the British MN. You may remember lecturers Tommy Main, Alec Bolwell amd Tom Smith?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13th October 2006, 22:26
Fergus 62 Fergus 62 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 235
Thumbs up Nautical Colleges

Hi Mclean

Ex Blythe Street Belfast. Pre Sea 1961/2 2nd Mates 1966. Fond memories of some great times, Capt MacDonald, "Kit" Carson, Capt Boyd among others. Old school long gone but Blythe Street still there, all redeveloped housing with a wall mural of George Best at the Sandy Row corner.

Regards

Fergus 62
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13th October 2006, 22:59
Jim S Jim S is online now   SN Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,386
Glasgow College of Nautical Studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
Stow College remained Stow College and still exists having avoided being built over by the M8. West Graham Street also still exists but the Annexe building is long gone under new housing.

The Glasgow College of Nautical Studies was built on the south side of the Clyde and all marine courses (and W.Graham Street staff) transferred there. These days the last two words in the title seem to be getting smaller and smaller - just like the British MN. You may remember lecturers Tommy Main, Alec Bolwell amd Tom Smith?
Hi Barry M,
It was so long ago, circa 1965-66 - I cannot remember any of the lecturers at West Graham Street Annexe. Strangely though I can remember an attractive young lady washing her windows in a tenement building that looked onto the back of the annexe - I guess in Buccleuch Street.

Jim S

Last edited by Jim S; 13th October 2006 at 23:02..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14th October 2006, 10:11
BarryM BarryM is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
Hi Barry M,
It was so long ago, circa 1965-66 - I cannot remember any of the lecturers at West Graham Street Annexe. Strangely though I can remember an attractive young lady washing her windows in a tenement building that looked onto the back of the annexe - I guess in Buccleuch Street.

Jim S
Jim,
Could it have been Velma of the Buccleuch Street Chippie who had a fragrance of chip fat and an extra scoop of chips for those she fancied?

BarryM

PS. I started there in '63.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14th October 2006, 17:50
mclean's Avatar
mclean mclean is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus 62 View Post
Hi Mclean

Ex Blythe Street Belfast. Pre Sea 1961/2 2nd Mates 1966. Fond memories of some great times, Capt MacDonald, "Kit" Carson, Capt Boyd among others. Old school long gone but Blythe Street still there, all redeveloped housing with a wall mural of George Best at the Sandy Row corner.

Regards

Fergus 62
Hi Fergus 62. Remember the dash to the dole on a friday afternoon? Cannot remember the amount, but it was small, and a few pints put a big holr in it. Marvellous times. Regards Colin
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14th October 2006, 19:56
Split Split is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 960
I went pre-sea to The London Nautical School, formerly Rotherhithe Nautical.
2nd mate at Edward VII, mate and master at Sir John Cass.

Split
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14th October 2006, 22:24
Wee John Wee John is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
My location
Posts: 103
I was in West Graham St. in 1966, The lass who typed the cadet test papers caught my eye, went out with her and 38 years later am still stuck with her. Wee Margaret was her name and she still has fond memories of what she called her engineers. She went down to the new college but packed it in as she said " cant stand deckies" Old Mundie was the head in West Graham St and a true gentleman he was. Great memories of the place and I still think they taught engineering the proper way. The Wee Barra sends her regards to any SN members who passed through her gentle hands.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15th October 2006, 20:00
Jim S Jim S is online now   SN Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,386
West Graham Street Annexe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
Jim,
Could it have been Velma of the Buccleuch Street Chippie who had a fragrance of chip fat and an extra scoop of chips for those she fancied?

BarryM

PS. I started there in '63.
Barry,

I have kept this vision of beauty for some 40 years and you have done your best to sully it. - Velma from the Chippie how could you!! - I never had the pleasure by the way.
A later contributor mentions the rush o a local dole office (Belfast) on a Friday afternoon. I recall the same at Sauchiehall Street where the staff treated we students with contempt while welcoming the long term unemployed like old friends. It was with some relief that the policy of shipping companies paying wages less unemployed benefit was changed later on when I was studying for Chief's.

Jim S
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 15th October 2006, 20:09
BarryM BarryM is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
Barry,

I have kept this vision of beauty for some 40 years and you have done your best to sully it. - Velma from the Chippie how could you!! - I never had the pleasure by the way.
A later contributor mentions the rush o a local dole office (Belfast) on a Friday afternoon. I recall the same at Sauchiehall Street where the staff treated we students with contempt while welcoming the long term unemployed like old friends. It was with some relief that the policy of shipping companies paying wages less unemployed benefit was changed later on when I was studying for Chief's.

Jim S
Jim,

I can assure you that Velma was a vision of loveliness - especially to Shetland Bob who ended up as a 21 stone weakling and thus unable to resist her oily charms.

Barry
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15th October 2006, 20:15
BarryM BarryM is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee John View Post
I was in West Graham St. in 1966, The lass who typed the cadet test papers caught my eye, went out with her and 38 years later am still stuck with her. Wee Margaret was her name and she still has fond memories of what she called her engineers. She went down to the new college but packed it in as she said " cant stand deckies" Old Mundie was the head in West Graham St and a true gentleman he was. Great memories of the place and I still think they taught engineering the proper way. The Wee Barra sends her regards to any SN members who passed through her gentle hands.
Wee John,

I think I remember the "Wee Barra". She may be the one who gave Peter G a rollocking for setting off the fire alarms leading to an evacuation of the building after leaning on and cracking the alarm break-glass. I think that anyone who remembers Old Mundie would echo your opinion of a "true gent" and Tom Smith, Alec Bolwell and Tommy Main (arch-skiver) still stick in the mind.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15th October 2006, 21:02
Fergus 62 Fergus 62 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 235
hi Colin

Remember to dole dash well, must be part of some sort of a record for the maximum number squashed into a Ford Corsair -not mine I hasten to add. I have a faint memory it was something like 4 - 4s - 0p per week. I also remember walking to hte College along the little streets off Sandy Row, you had to walk on the road and not the footpath which was being scrubbed stopless by the women from the houses, you dare not dirty the footpath. Great times, friends and wonderful memories, Clarendon Dock for boatwork, Carrickfergus Radar School etcetc, wouldnt have missed it for the world

Rgds
Fergus 62
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 15th October 2006, 21:07
Wee John Wee John is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
My location
Posts: 103
The Wee barra remembers a few bollickins she had to hand out to various people, particularly lecturers. Tommy Main was a lovely man, O.K. not the greatest of lecturers, but a great fund of stories for green cadets. The Wee Barra still thinks that the generation of engineers from her time were true gentelmen. Honest ,she still says it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 16th October 2006, 08:11
John Cassels John Cassels is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
My location
Posts: 2,992
Pre-sea and 2nd.mates at the old James Watt college in Greenock.
Now (sadly) teaches everything from hairstyling to cookery , nearly
everything but navigation and engineering.
mates and Masters in Glasgow (then a fairly new school of nautical studies.

JC
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 16th October 2006, 10:56
Bob Bob is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 109
I attended a Catering school run by Liverpool Education Dept, it was a six weeks course, which I think was run to feed the upper crust, as thats what happened of a lunch time, having completed the course it was the devils own job to get on the pool or to join the union, talk of catch 22s, this being 1947,I did eventually get to sea with Royal Mail. cheers Bob
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 16th October 2006, 12:38
ed glover ed glover is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
My location
Posts: 153
I attended the sea school in Glasgow if memory (its going fast)serves me right it was the Royal Collage of Science and Technology on Martha street. Was there Jan 61 as a cadet and back for 2nd mates in 65 or 66 ? Dole if I remember was 4 pounds and something. yes we would rush to the Dole office the drink most of it. Remember Capt. Den or Dent for 2nd mate orals he could put the fear of God into that Nutter in Noth Korea.
Ed Glover
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 16th October 2006, 12:53
John Cassels John Cassels is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
My location
Posts: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed glover View Post
I attended the sea school in Glasgow if memory (its going fast)serves me right it was the Royal Collage of Science and Technology on Martha street. Was there Jan 61 as a cadet and back for 2nd mates in 65 or 66 ? Dole if I remember was 4 pounds and something. yes we would rush to the Dole office the drink most of it. Remember Capt. Den or Dent for 2nd mate orals he could put the fear of God into that Nutter in Noth Korea.
Ed Glover
Morning Ed,

Yes - oh boy - do I remember Capt.Denne for 2nd.mates orals 1968.

I was fourth in line that morning for orals but arrived early enough to hear
the screams and shouts from the other side of the waiting room door.
Then the door opened and the previous candidate came out , white as
a sheet. Did not feel too happy going in.
Capt.Denne had this habit of asking a lot of sailing ship questions and if
you didn't know the answer his face used to get very red as if he would
blow up. It was frightening.
I believe he wrote a book about either handling under sail or compass
work.
He must have been very near retirement even in '68.

JC
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 16th October 2006, 13:05
mikeg's Avatar
mikeg mikeg is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1987
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,264
R/O college at St Mary's and later East Park Terrace (7th Floor) Southampton. Good to hear from any other R/O's who studied there.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 16th October 2006, 15:14
mclean's Avatar
mclean mclean is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 691
Nautical Colleges

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed glover View Post
I attended the sea school in Glasgow if memory (its going fast)serves me right it was the Royal Collage of Science and Technology on Martha street. Was there Jan 61 as a cadet and back for 2nd mates in 65 or 66 ? Dole if I remember was 4 pounds and something. yes we would rush to the Dole office the drink most of it. Remember Capt. Den or Dent for 2nd mate orals he could put the fear of God into that Nutter in Noth Korea.
Ed Glover
Hi Ed. We had a similar type of chap in Belfast by the name of Capt. Newberry. He was ex Blue Flu if I recall correctly, and seemed to have a dislike for those who served their time on tankers. Threw me out of orals for 2nd.Mates because I did not know the dimensions of a chain hook. Told me to come back in the afternoon with the answer! Regards Colin
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 16th October 2006, 15:40
BarryM BarryM is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee John View Post
The Wee barra remembers a few bollickins she had to hand out to various people, particularly lecturers. Tommy Main was a lovely man, O.K. not the greatest of lecturers, but a great fund of stories for green cadets. The Wee Barra still thinks that the generation of engineers from her time were true gentelmen. Honest ,she still says it.
Was it the Wee Barra who gave us apprentices an early Christmas one year ('64??) when we found the carbons used for duplicating the College exam papers in a waste bin? That year we all went on leave having obtained scores in the College EK's exam never achieved before and certainly never achieved again.

The problem with Tommy Main was that he spent so much time reminiscing (a pastime in which we encouraged him - anything but work) that he never completed a syllabus. The result was that in the week before exams, he would arrive and spray handouts in all directions of the stuff we should have covered but he had never got around to teaching. When I met him again at GCNS, nothing had changed.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nellist Nautical School Mac Places, People & Events of Maritime Interest 19 12th November 2019 13:52
Nautical Forest Football Team gdynia Looking for Old Shipmates 0 13th November 2005 21:24
Nautical Definition Alan Hill News and Views from the Shipping World 11 13th August 2005 11:13



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.