Rotterdam Dry Dock Company - Ships Nostalgia
22:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rotterdam Dry Dock Company

User Tag List

Old 23rd July 2011, 18:39
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1953 - 2000

Rotterdam Dry Dock Company

David James McIntosh (1871 - 1943)

David James McIntosh my Great Uncle was born 14-2-1871 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear. He was the first child of David McIntosh and Constance Paxton who married in Newcastle in 1867. In the 1891 census records David James was stated to be a Grocer. Yet in 1905 he married Eva van der Sluis in Rotterdam and took on her five children by a previous marriage. On his marriage certificate he is stated to be a ship’s bosun!

I’m not sure how he became involved in Shipping but later David James was in the Ship Repair and Salvage business being a representative for “The Rotterdam Dry Dock Company” (New Waterway Shipbuilding Company, Schiedam, Rotterdam, Holland) for at least 24 years. Attached is a copy of his business cards (both sides) I also have two photographs, one shows him on a vessel with a colleague, both in Naval Uniform, the other also attached, bears the legend “Motor Life Saving Launch and Surf Boat of Thetis”. It is pure speculation, but he may have been involved in the ill fated submarine’s salvage. He thus lived in Holland from at least 1905 until he died at Gouda in 1943.

In the 70’s I visited Rotterdam to witness and sample the unloading of Gilsocarbon, used in the manufacture of graphite for Nuclear Power Stations. The Shipping Agent contacted a then director of RDM and found that he had attended my Great Uncle’s funeral in wartime. However I did not follow this up at the time.

Could anyone shed any light on my Great Uncle’s involvement with the Sea and RDM?

Many Thanks.

Gordon McIntosh ([email protected]ol.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (157.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (153.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (76.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (104.1 KB, 13 views)