Who has news about the fire on the USS Miami? - Ships Nostalgia
07:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Who has news about the fire on the USS Miami?

User Tag List

Old 26th May 2012, 02:58
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2004

Who has news about the fire on the USS Miami?

Has anyone got news or links to news about the fire? Seems like just a very brief summary has been released so far. From what was on the national TV channel the injuries were few but unspecified; , but it doesn't look good for the ship.
Old 26th May 2012, 06:25
Active: 1970 - 1976

https://www.google.com/search?num=10....0.DBi1i5QHkvM

Looks pretty grim. 7 hurt, burned for 12 hours. My guess is they scrap it...
Old 26th May 2012, 07:11
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Easy to comment from the security of an armchair but an "unoccupied" (i.e. with on no one aboard) sub alongside, or in drydock, would seem to be the perfect candidate for sealing off to exclude oxygen and then flooding with CO2 or some other inert gas in order to control a fire. Flooding with water would seem to offer much higher propensity for damage.

I just have to give way to the experts on this, they must have known what they were doing. Can anyone suggest the advantages of filling compartments with water rather than, say, CO2?

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 26th May 2012, 18:00
Active: 1970 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Easy to comment from the security of an armchair but an "unoccupied" (i.e. with on no one aboard) sub alongside, or in drydock, would seem to be the perfect candidate for sealing off to exclude oxygen and then flooding with CO2 or some other inert gas in order to control a fire. Flooding with water would seem to offer much higher propensity for damage.

I just have to give way to the experts on this, they must have known what they were doing. Can anyone suggest the advantages of filling compartments with water rather than, say, CO2?
Don't laugh, but I'm sure some Greenies would say 'a smaller carbon footprint'...
Old 9th June 2012, 00:58

update ??

http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?o...ews&Itemid=193

If the link doesn't work, go to www.marinelog.com to see the article. They are saying that the fire started in a vacuum cleaner (Hoover for you Brits) that was used to clean up the workspace, and was left in an unattended space.
Probably get just as much, or more, information from the blog site The Stupid Shall be Punished. Thanks to whoever posted that link.
Old 18th September 2012, 01:26

update: 16 Sept 2012

This short article was posted on Marine Log's daily newsletter:

http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?o...ews&Itemid=195

You may have to copy/paste to go to it. The gist is that Electric Boat has received a 94 million dollar contract in relation to the fire repair. That's still quite a ways from the 400 million initial estimate of damage.