Battleship Iowa--to be scrapped? - Ships Nostalgia
15:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Battleship Iowa--to be scrapped?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2nd September 2012, 18:56
cshortridge73 cshortridge73 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
My location
Posts: 665
Battleship Iowa--to be scrapped?

WITH A WRETCHED ECONOMY SCARING AWAY POSSIBLE FINANCIERS TO KEEP THE WORLD'S LAST UNCOMMITTED BATTLESHIP AFLOAT, THE FUTURE OF THE ONCE-PROUD USS IOWA APPEARS MORE BLEAK EVERY DAY.

These "Battlewagons" as they were referred to has always been true to a sailors heart....just looking at them...you see "a mass of power." Something that has served us all so well one would think there has to be a way to somehow....some way to keep these massive battleships that helped preserve our freedom....a place for all to see and marvel at...like being a museum ship of some sort.

Well that is all nicely said...but it cost huge sums of money in doing so....and we've done a fair job at preserving many ships....the Missouri...New Jersey...and many more...actually the U.S. has become known for preserving the third-largest fleet in the world.

So... this article goes over the problems and some history of the USS Iowa (BB-61)....what do we do with her????

If you care to give this one a glance...all you need to do is click HERE to get to the link.
__________________
BUD SHORTRIDGE
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2nd September 2012, 21:42
Jeff Taylor Jeff Taylor is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 229
Since she is now a museum ship in San Pedro, perhaps an eiplogue would be appropriate. I know there are guys working on her and that she is open for tours, but an update on her physical condition would be interesting. Keep up the good work, Bud!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2nd September 2012, 22:00
cshortridge73 cshortridge73 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
My location
Posts: 665
Oh I certainly agree with you.....if someone has the inside scoop on what is taking place...I'd encourage them to hook it on any way they wish....
__________________
BUD SHORTRIDGE
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18th September 2012, 23:09
jamesgpobog's Avatar
jamesgpobog jamesgpobog is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1976
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshortridge73 View Post
WITH A WRETCHED ECONOMY SCARING AWAY POSSIBLE FINANCIERS TO KEEP THE WORLD'S LAST UNCOMMITTED BATTLESHIP AFLOAT, THE FUTURE OF THE ONCE-PROUD USS IOWA APPEARS MORE BLEAK EVERY DAY.

These "Battlewagons" as they were referred to has always been true to a sailors heart....just looking at them...you see "a mass of power." Something that has served us all so well one would think there has to be a way to somehow....some way to keep these massive battleships that helped preserve our freedom....a place for all to see and marvel at...like being a museum ship of some sort.

Well that is all nicely said...but it cost huge sums of money in doing so....and we've done a fair job at preserving many ships....the Missouri...New Jersey...and many more...actually the U.S. has become known for preserving the third-largest fleet in the world.

So... this article goes over the problems and some history of the USS Iowa (BB-61)....what do we do with her????

If you care to give this one a glance...all you need to do is click HERE to get to the link.

Garbage. Iowa is a museum in San Pedro, CA. The ship is operating every day just fine. Work is proceeding every day on her. What do you want to know about her condition?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19th September 2012, 01:31
makko's Avatar
makko makko is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
My location
Posts: 5,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgpobog View Post
Garbage. Iowa is a museum in San Pedro, CA. The ship is operating every day just fine. Work is proceeding every day on her. What do you want to know about her condition?
James,
Nothing better than from the horse's mouth! From the pictures that you have posted, she looks good. Would you care to comment on her hull and superstructure generally to get the ball rolling. Thanks!
Rgds.
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19th September 2012, 03:37
jamesgpobog's Avatar
jamesgpobog jamesgpobog is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1976
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
James,
Nothing better than from the horse's mouth! From the pictures that you have posted, she looks good. Would you care to comment on her hull and superstructure generally to get the ball rolling. Thanks!
Rgds.
Dave
Certainly.

Superstructure is in very good shape. She has been painted and looks very smart. The aft superstructure is newer, so it is in great shape. Forward, there are some levels where you can tell that corrosion has thinned (pitted) the decks.

The interiors that I have seen look like you would expect, 70 years old, stored for 50. She does not look new, but she does not look beat up and trashed. She looks.....slightly worn, used, but not abused. Some interiors have cracking, flaking paint.

The machinery spaces I've seen (a boiler and a couple engine rooms) are very nice. Clean, painted, with dry, painted bilges.

The part of the ship that looks the worst are the wood decks. Most is horrible, turning to dust as you look at it. It also has termites. The worst wood is forward, where in the 80's they replaced old teak with Douglas Fir. Every bit of the Doug Fir is junk. There are several places aft that still have 50's teak, it's in pretty good shape. There is also a school of thought that a small area of teak on the stbd side just forward of the aft turret is original deck.

The guns are dirty inside, lots of hydraulic leaks in the 5" and 16", lots of cleanup needed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19th September 2012, 14:22
makko's Avatar
makko makko is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
My location
Posts: 5,572
James,
Thanks for that. Are you aware if she has been in drydock for survey or have they performed a wet hull survey? I don't suppose there is much "thinning" of the armour belt! Are there any plans to replace the rotten wooden deck?
Rgds,
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19th September 2012, 14:52
cshortridge73 cshortridge73 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
My location
Posts: 665
James.....would it be possible for me to "copy & paste" what you stated the condition of the Iowa is at presently?.....if so I'll see if I can work it into the article as a catch up attachment.
__________________
BUD SHORTRIDGE
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19th September 2012, 15:10
jamesgpobog's Avatar
jamesgpobog jamesgpobog is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1976
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshortridge73 View Post
James.....would it be possible for me to "copy & paste" what you stated the condition of the Iowa is at presently?.....if so I'll see if I can work it into the article as a catch up attachment.
Permission granted.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19th September 2012, 15:22
jamesgpobog's Avatar
jamesgpobog jamesgpobog is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1976
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
James,
Thanks for that. Are you aware if she has been in drydock for survey or have they performed a wet hull survey? I don't suppose there is much "thinning" of the armour belt! Are there any plans to replace the rotten wooden deck?
Rgds,
Dave
She has not been in drydock. The plans are for that to happen several years from now. There has been active cathodic protection, now there is some sort of protection going on, all I know is that it is something that is hooked up internally that takes ships power.

A note on the 'armor' comment. The Iowa class does not show an armor belt. The armor scheme is fully internal, all armor is contained within the hull, for instance, what is considered the 'belt' is behind the hull, fuel tanks, and voids.

Yes, there are plans for the deck to be replaced, though that is a long term project. Right now we are patching bad spots, cutting out rotten and replacing sections of board. Really bad sections are covered with sheets of plywood.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 19th September 2012, 15:44
Jeff Taylor Jeff Taylor is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 229
Not suggesting that it is ideal, but the teak deck restoration on Queen Mary has been done by salvaging 2" planks in good condition, ripping them down to 1", and laying them on 1" plywood. Not sure how that is holding up. Teak is endangered now. My son works in a custom yacht building yard here in the US, and the teak they use already has some minor cuts on it to qualify as "manufactured" pieces as unaltered teak planking cannot legally be imported. Thank you, greenies.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20th September 2012, 03:41
jamesgpobog's Avatar
jamesgpobog jamesgpobog is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1976
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Taylor View Post
Not suggesting that it is ideal, but the teak deck restoration on Queen Mary has been done by salvaging 2" planks in good condition, ripping them down to 1", and laying them on 1" plywood. Not sure how that is holding up. Teak is endangered now. My son works in a custom yacht building yard here in the US, and the teak they use already has some minor cuts on it to qualify as "manufactured" pieces as unaltered teak planking cannot legally be imported. Thank you, greenies.
What about plantation teak?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20th September 2012, 14:53
Jeff Taylor Jeff Taylor is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 229
Good question, and the answer is that I'm not sure, but I can tell you that the teak imported for this custom yacht builder has to be imported as partially manufactured items (obviously a ruse as none of the cuts relate to the use of the teak) and that they can't just buy teak planking legally. I'll inquire further and get back if any further info is forthcoming. Overall, the problem is not with the exporting countries, but with US customs--that much I do know.

Update: They get some plantation teak, and some old growth material--all of them have small notches, holes, or a piece of scrap wood nailed to one end to get by customs whether plantation or natural teak. Problem is that the plantation material tends to be smaller dimension due to the growth being newer. Most of what they get is 2" planks and due to heavy fertilization tends to have somewhat crazy grain patterns. For some of the applications they need 12" or larger widths (steps, windshield frames, etc), and for that they need to go to the natural harvested old growth wood. That may or may not answer your question, but since even the narrow plantation raised planks have the mickey mouse notches and holes the ban on importing raw teak must apply across the board. If anyone has additional info please let us know.

Last edited by Jeff Taylor; 21st September 2012 at 00:24..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 3rd October 2012, 23:37
Uricanejack Uricanejack is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1980 - Present
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 80
I had the pleasure of being anchored in Norfolk Roads. Back in 85 when the Iowa arrived for the first time after recomision. She passed just a couple of cables away just before she altered to head down the ROW. and I heard the anouncment Iowa Man the rails. Thousand of guys in full white ran out to line the rails on each deck. the experts may say aircarft cariers and nuclear subs are much better.
But so what.
It was a hell of an impresive sight.
I hope she is saved.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off




Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.