Haze Question Shooting at Long Range - Ships Nostalgia
06:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Haze Question Shooting at Long Range

User Tag List

Old 26th November 2012, 06:58

Haze Question Shooting at Long Range

Gents,

I shoot from long range with a Canon EOS 550D mainly using an EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens which provides the equivilent of 400mm zoom in the old 36mm film format. I've recently bought a Kenko 1.5 teleconverter which takes the equivilent zoom to 600mm in 36mm format so I really am on the edge of usability however it seems to hold up fairly well before grain becomes an issue - usually at internet gallery quality you don't see it too much but when zooming in to read a vessels name on an Apple MacBook jobby the grain becomes apparent.

I have a question: In Singapore the ships are out in the roads or I take photos direct into the port from a hilltop and the climate (humid, warm and cloudy) creates a lot of haze at distance. For example (taken from a hilltop, probable range 2,000m?): https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...uarius/cat/all
How can I eradicate or reduce the haze to sharpen up the picture?

Thanks
Richard
Old 26th November 2012, 11:04
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
RHP,

Just copied yours and put it through Picasa 3 and attached is a copy. Improved greatly I think you will agree. Picasa is easy to use and free download from Google.

Hawkey01
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a82.jpg (83.4 KB, 74 views)
Old 26th November 2012, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkey01 View Post
RHP,

Just copied yours and put it through Picasa 3 and attached is a copy. Improved greatly I think you will agree. Picasa is easy to use and free download from Google.

Hawkey01
Totally agree Hawkeye, Picasa3 is very good & FREE!
Old 27th November 2012, 04:44

Many thanks gents, I'll give it a spin.
Old 27th November 2012, 05:49
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
XnView is also free off the net and does the same job. Simple to use and many effects available.
Old 7th December 2012, 08:57

You could try using a Haze Filter on your lens and/or a UV filter. There are various types available and I don't have sufficient knowledge to discuss haze filters here. I certain cases a polarising filter can be useful as well. Suggest you look online or go down to your local photographic store & discuss with someone who knows more than I do. These filters are generally inexpensive and simple to use. UV filter is a must for photographers, as well as cutting out UV light it protects the open lens element. If you knew all this then I apologise and will "get me coat!"