Catastrophe Rode The River - Ships Nostalgia
08:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Catastrophe Rode The River

User Tag List

Old 29th November 2012, 14:50

My location
Catastrophe Rode The River

The worst river disaster in American history saw nearly 1600 Union Army soldiers, many of them painfully wounded, died when the boilers of the chartered paddle steamer Sultana suddenly exploded with a force that lit the night sky. The fiery blast was heard ten miles away in Memphis but this terrible tragedy was overshadowed by news of President Lincoln's death at the hand of an assassin.

Click : Here
Hope you enjoy
Old 29th November 2012, 15:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Bud the link does not take me to the story, a Google page opens and asks to log in.
Old 29th November 2012, 15:50

My location
Try it now......I was doing a tad of editing...please let me know okay?
Old 29th November 2012, 21:33

My location
Still not working. All I get is a Google page asking me to log in.
Old 29th November 2012, 21:55

My location
John....I've tried it and have checked with others....and it is working just fine. Tell you what....if you wish to read it....I can and will certainly e-mail you with it attached...that way I'm sure you can open.
You can e-mail me at [email protected] or [email protected] I have no problem in e-mailing the .pdf document....actually to anyone that wishes.
Old 29th November 2012, 22:29
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Working OK for me Bud, thanks for that.

Bob
Old 29th November 2012, 22:44

My location
Yes it is working....I'm not real sure what the gentleman has going on....but everyone else is able to open the link....but in any regard, anyone that has a problem "opening" or just wants a copy of the any of my articles sent to them....I am very, very happy to do so.... Just send me the e-mail address and I'll attach a .pdf of the document and send it......not a problem at all.

Y'all have a great evening.
Old 29th November 2012, 23:02

My location
I found out what my problem was, it was a Google page loading at the same time as the link was,I x out the google page and underneath was the story.
Old 29th November 2012, 23:43
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1972 - 2005

My location
Bud

I get the same sign in page when I used Google Chrome to read the article. The reason is that I have a Chrome account, in order for Chrome to tack your browsing they ask for you to sign in. If you want to read the article with out signing in use another browser or cancel your chrome account.

A first hand account of the disaster can be found in "Loss of the Sultana and Reminiscences of Survivors: History of a Disaster ... By Rev. Chester D. Berry" which can be downloaded from google books. I also read a few articles that were in a US Navy magazine that are available on line about the boiler repair prior to the accident a the history of the type of boiler that was prone to explosions. Another item is at the time the operators were using raw water that is they took the water from the river for the boiler feed. The paddle boats that transit the upper river did not have the number of boiler accidents of those that went all the way to New Orleans.

About this time some paddle ship operators were offering accommodations on barges for the nervous passengers so the machinery was not near their sleep area's.

There is a interesting side note that at the time there were investigations into the Boiler failures in the area where the rivet holes were punched instead of drilled. This lead to a requirement that the boilers rivet holes had to be drilled and countered bore to reduce the sheets from cracking. Fifty years later they where still punch holes in hull plating.

Joe