Barque Mohican - Ships Nostalgia
20:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Barque Mohican

User Tag List

Old 25th January 2013, 14:59

Barque Mohican

I have a large model of a 3 masted Barque which I am looking to identify.The only obvious identification I think is the figure head which looks very much like a Mohican Warrior.I have identified a similar looking ship built in Waterford in 1859 by Charles Smith and Co and owned by Henry Bath of Swansea and engaged in the copper ore trade.
Has anyone any more information about the Mohican or give any positive identification of the photo of the figurehead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mohican.jpg (135.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0002_1.JPG (295.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1000648_1.JPG (287.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 25th January 2013, 16:06

Well obviously the model is not the ship in the photo, and since she has double channels, she is not likely to have been built in Britain. Double channels were typical of ships built in North America, and I think this one looks more American than Canadian. And it's not a barque but a full rigged ship.

Last edited by stein; 25th January 2013 at 16:47..
Old 25th January 2013, 16:50

Thanks for that information Stein and excuse my ignorance but what are double channels?
Old 25th January 2013, 16:57

The ropes going from the mast to the outside of the hull are fastened with iron rods or bands (called chains) to the hull, but first being spread by channels, being those "planks" you see in the photo of the model. In Europe it was common to have the chains go through the bulwarks and then over a single channel, if any.

Last edited by stein; 25th January 2013 at 17:03..
Old 28th January 2013, 19:37

Thanks for that information stein.Looking at the model have you any idea of the period such a vessel might have been built. I was assuming late 1850's but there again I might be quite wrong.I have also decided that my asssumption that the figurehead represents a Mohican warrior is more than likely incorrect and that a Roman Centurion would fit the description better.There were a couple of ships named 'Centurion' around the mid 19th century which I could follow up on. What do you think?
Chris
Old 4th February 2013, 17:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Robson View Post
Thanks for that information stein.Looking at the model have you any idea of the period such a vessel might have been built. I was assuming late 1850's but there again I might be quite wrong.I have also decided that my asssumption that the figurehead represents a Mohican warrior is more than likely incorrect and that a Roman Centurion would fit the description better.There were a couple of ships named 'Centurion' around the mid 19th century which I could follow up on. What do you think?
Chris
That looks very much more like a chinese or maybe japanese warrior to me I could be wrong [ I often am ] best regards Dave .