Mosquito Bar. - Ships Nostalgia
08:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mosquito Bar.

User Tag List

Old 5th May 2013, 16:09
radionev

Mosquito Bar.

I have just read, to my dismay, that my first bar where i got well laid regularly has been demolished. I have uploaded 2 photo's of a Tshirt which I still have (life on board ?)
I was the mad sparky on the Benveg 1958/1959. Just thinking there can't be many of us left.

Last edited by radionev; 6th May 2013 at 10:20..
Old 5th May 2013, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by radionev View Post
I have just read, to my dismay, that my first bar where i got well laid regularly has been demolished. I have uploaded 2 photo's of a Tshirt which I still have (life on board ?)
I was the mad sparky on the Benveg 1968/1959. Just thinking there can't be many of us left.
Bangkok branch?
Old 5th May 2013, 17:05
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck

I had many a happy evening in the Mossie bar & Venus Rooms in the 70's. Great times all gone now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mos1.jpg (101.9 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg mosvenus.jpg (37.4 KB, 271 views)
Old 5th May 2013, 17:15
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
In 1969 I signed off a ship in Singapore and a few of us went to Bangkok and I stayed there for 5 months, here is a photo of a few of the girls from the Mosquito bar. While I was in Bangkok my brother came on the Benhaint.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...angkok/cat/501

Cheers Frank

Last edited by Frank P; 5th May 2013 at 17:19..
Old 5th May 2013, 20:57
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeQ View Post
I had many a happy evening in the Mossie bar & Venus Rooms in the 70's. Great times all gone now
Lots of goodmemories of the mossie and the venus from the 1960s. I dont think i ever saw them in daylight though.
Old 6th May 2013, 00:51
Department: Navigation
Active: 1962 - 1993

Smile

Likewise - great memories indeed.
I first entered the Mozzie Bar in the "silly season" of 1963.
It was my first voyage "Fast to the Far East" and I was only seventeen at the time.
I bet there aren't too many of you guys who remember what you got for Xmas that year.
Old 6th May 2013, 07:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
We'll have to open a book on this one!
Who was the first to have a bevvie in the Mosquito/Venus bar(s).
Just looked at my discharge book and mine was August 1957..
Remember all the miniature Thai warships on the way up-river to Bangkok and dipping the ensign to each one.
n.b. Bevvie gentlemen not the other well-known pursuit that also begins with a "B"...
Ah yes! I knew of many chaps who picked things up from 'lavatory seats' there. And so, for some, it was Christmas throughout the year.
Old 6th May 2013, 13:53
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1997

Radionev,

you are way before my time, i'm just a latecomer. But i did sign off a Bluie at singapore in late 77 after a double header on the "Blue sea line" with 4 months leave to waste. Took the train to Penang and enjoyed there, then over to thailand, straight down to klong toey. Do u remember the name of another bar just round the corner? Mossie bar & Venus were right outside the seamans club which was also a great place for afternoon food & bevvies, but there was another just round the corner. I helped them put up the Christmas decorations in 1977. Then took off on the train for Chiang Mai. Went back there a few years ago on a ship at klong toey, but it's all gone, only nostalgia.

73, richard
Old 6th May 2013, 14:41
Active: 1970 - 1997

You have all got me going now. late 70s, I was sparkie on the new BF "M boats". Blue Sea line. Every trip we loaded 3000 tons of tapioca in jumbo bags at klong toey for Searsport, Me. African crew from Freetown. As "R/O-Purser" i was in charge of the subs and blu flue masters were quite strict about only ordering the exact amount of local cash which we requested. but i always subbed a load more baht on my own account and brought a notebook ashore, handing out subs to crew at the mossie bar.
Old 6th May 2013, 15:47
radionev

Mosquito bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardwakeley View Post
Radionev,

you are way before my time, i'm just a latecomer. But i did sign off a Bluie at singapore in late 77 after a double header on the "Blue sea line" with 4 months leave to waste. Took the train to Penang and enjoyed there, then over to thailand, straight down to klong toey. Do u remember the name of another bar just round the corner? Mossie bar & Venus were right outside the seamans club which was also a great place for afternoon food & bevvies, but there was another just round the corner. I helped them put up the Christmas decorations in 1977. Then took off on the train for Chiang Mai. Went back there a few years ago on a ship at klong toey, but it's all gone, only nostalgia.

73, richard
I think it was the freedom bar.
Old 6th May 2013, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Remember all the miniature Thai warships on the way up-river to Bangkok and dipping the ensign to each one.
Yes, I used to love that, it seemed a very exciting thing to a quiet lad of 17.
Old 8th May 2013, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardwakeley View Post
Radionev,

73, richard

Was that the Golden Gate? A little bit up the road on the left. There was also the OK Coral between the Mossie and the Venus and was it the Rose Garden at the end of the block?
Old 30th May 2013, 00:15

Proudly clutching my brand new discharge book (R652896) which I still have,and, after a coastal trip on the old "Albanach" and one on the brand new "Vrackie", I finally got away Foreign going on the "Benmacdhui" as "Peggy", arriving in Klong Toey Bangkok in mid August 1956.
I remember as if it was yesterday.....The bosun Jackie Callender from Aberdeen sent me up to the Mozzie Bar to buy 2 bottles of Mehkong whisky (Monkey brand) think they were six bob a bottle at that time..
Along the wharf through the gates (no security)...diagonally across the road and on the corner was the Mosquito bar.. Up the stairs and inside, pitch dark at first..
While waiting for the mamasan to bring the bottles, a couple of the girls started planting ki sses on my cheeks.Terrified I bolted back aboard, and found to my dismay...lipstick imprints all over my face.
By the time we sailed however I had a knowing lustful look about me , having "lost my cherry"in the Klong Toey Bag shanties.
Ah they were glorious days !!!!!!
P.S. I am off to Thailand next week on holiday
Old 30th May 2013, 22:39

My location
hi lost your cheery to a she or heshe/
terry

Old 4th July 2013, 19:40
Active: 1966 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
hi lost your cheery to a she or heshe/
terry
After you've had half a bottle of "Bangkok Monkey" it wouldn't make much difference!!!!
Old 5th July 2013, 02:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
After you've had half a bottle of "Bangkok Monkey" it wouldn't make much difference!!!!
Aye - so true, so true that's for sure.
That Monkey whisky sure "blew your head off" - as they say.
It left me with one hell of a headache on more than one occasion, and I was only seventeen at the time.
But on the positive side - It taught me, at a very early stage, to drink only in moderation, at all times.
Old 5th July 2013, 13:58
Active: 1964 - 2007

Bangkok Monkey ,

If it was drunk in any style or from any bar the outcome was always the same, I remember dragging a second sparks out of the Mozzie with the help of the second Leckie whilst on the Valla. We were in mid stream about three vessels down from the bars and due to come alongside the next morning. Sparks was so far gone he wouldnt have known if we were dragging him upside down or backwards. We got to the landing stage and summoned a speedo how we got him on board such a narrow boat without him or us in the drink I don't know.

On the way back it must have been the engine fumes but he decided to let go of the contents of his stomach ,all over me and my brand new blue shirt from M&S which my mum had bought me.

I suppose I did not feel that bad thinking it will wash ok. Back on board I washed the shirt in the sink and dhobed and hung it up to dry ,then I noticed the effects of Bangkok Monkey, my shirt was like one of those modern Russian winter camouflage patterns .There was patches of white shirt and blue it was as if it had been bleached all over, I don't think sparky had much of an aim.

Maybe the moto is" do'nt second sparks any favours."

It all felt great whilst you drank it even if it was luke warm and the label was still wet and sliding down the bottle.
Keep her steady Ian.
Old 5th July 2013, 14:15

You did the right thing Ian. Don't forget he only had 6 months to learn the ropes. The shirt is long gone and would be even if he hadn't coloured it in, but you still have the inner glow obtained by taking care of a shipmate.

John T
Old 6th July 2013, 02:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian keyl View Post
Bangkok Monkey ,

Quote:
If it was drunk in any style or from any bar the outcome was always the same,
I remember dragging a second sparks out of the Mozzie with the help of the second Leckie whilst on the Valla. We were in mid stream about three vessels down from the bars and due to come alongside the next morning. Sparks was so far gone he wouldnt have known if we were dragging him upside down or backwards. We got to the landing stage and summoned a speedo how we got him on board such a narrow boat without him or us in the drink I don't know.

On the way back it must have been the engine fumes but he decided to let go of the contents of his stomach ,all over me and my brand new blue shirt from M&S which my mum had bought me.

I suppose I did not feel that bad thinking it will wash ok. Back on board I washed the shirt in the sink and dhobed and hung it up to dry ,then I noticed the effects of Bangkok Monkey, my shirt was like one of those modern Russian winter camouflage patterns .There was patches of white shirt and blue it was as if it had been bleached all over, I don't think sparky had much of an aim.

Maybe the moto is" do'nt second sparks any favours."

It all felt great whilst you drank it even if it was luke warm and the label was still wet and sliding down the bottle.
Keep her steady Ian.
Hmm - yes indeed, the memories flood back, despite the passage of time.
Come to think of it, I don't think I ever got further than the Mossie Bar, so far as drinking places went.
I also recall an impressive tour of the Temples, the Buddhas, the snake farm etc., but that was in the daytime, when I was working all night.
And who could forget Mutt, the regular stevedore foreman assigned to the Ben Boats. A real fine fella, I recall.
Old 8th July 2013, 06:20

Yes Old Man,
you are correct not to forget Mutt, the person I remember but could never think of his name. My grey matter is usually pretty good but I remember on the old Ben Line site which seems to have closed I did a story about Bangkok which was to include Mutt but could think of his name so he was left out of it.

Now he can become famous whilst working nights outward bound discharging, Mutt was always there willing to dip his hand in his pocket to help keep you going ,with pop,iced coffee and of course your delicious breakfast.
At about half past one in the morning when the stevedores stopped for chow he would ask you what you would like for your chow.

I cannot remember the exact meals but god they were fantastic and full of flavours and filling. Brought to you piping hot wrapped in banana leaves and tied up in little parcels with raffia . the prawns were so good it makes me feel hungry now. He would always attend with you when you went up th the Customs warehouse to evaluate broched cargo and identify loose cargo which had not ID marks on it. Whilst there he would buy all the officialdom iced cokes to ease the process along , then the agent would appear to pass over an envelope to reduce the fines for the amount of broached cargo and possible cargo which had been landed but for another country.

The amount of booze we would put ashore there for the US who would spend R&R in Bangkok away from Vietnam.. If we had been to Le Harve on the european coast then usually we would have tons of French brandy of all categories which was a favourite of the stevedores to steal and drink.
Mutt was always there still in the mates office long after the night shift had showered and crashed for the day or got ready for the sites as you had mentioned Old Man..

It was always a great time in Bangkok asking the agent to get you some of the best Thai silk treated with the latest 3m's fabric conditioner. You always used to think the girlfriend would get or make a dress and look just like a Thai girl . Dream on in many cases.

Ian.
Old 14th July 2013, 09:14

Oh yes, Oh yes - how right you are, absolutely spot on.
Mutt was a remarkable guy, a friend to one and all, and just as you said the food he provided was just fantastic.
My choice was invariably Nasi Goreng - complete with an egg on top, all wrapped up in the leaf parcel you described.
Yes that is ensactly the way I remember it too.
Here's to Mutt - a great guy - no doubt whatsoever, about that.
Old 14th July 2013, 18:20
Active: 1967 - 1990

Nasi Goreng with lashings of Linghams chilli sauce followed by one of the iced coffees served in a plastic bag sold generally at the stern of the boat where the ice lay covered in sacks and sawdust.
Old 14th July 2013, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by binliner View Post
Nasi Goreng with lashings of Linghams chilli sauce followed by one of the iced coffees served in a plastic bag sold generally at the stern of the boat where the ice lay covered in sacks and sawdust.
I can't say I recall the chilli sauce with my Nasi Goreng.
Seems a bit strange - who would want to put chilli sauce on Nasi Goreng. A fried rice perhaps , but Nasi Goreng - oh no, I don't think so.
The iced drinks in the plastic bags - Oh yes, - I remember them quite clearly,- and yes you are right about the sawdust, as well.
Good times, so they were, but now gone for ever.
Aye, it was work hard and play hard in those days - and it did us little or no harm whatsoever - well mostly, - I reckon.
Old 15th July 2013, 12:27
Active: 1967 - 1990

Always remember Chinese crew having porridge with a fried egg on top and chilli sauce for breakfast,got me into the habit,even now my wife complains when she has made a nice Indian or Chinese meal I reach for the Linghams to add to the piquancy or as she says destroy the flavour.
Old 28th July 2013, 20:10

Just to divert slightly from the Mozzie and its hazards.
Can anyone remember as cadets sent down on the home coast to clean up the holds and finfing millions (not Quite but seemed like it) of those polly bags fastened to the spar ceilings with a laggy bnd and the mate wanted them all cut down , it was a risks was the yellow liquid still in the bag faded coffee or Bangkok dockers piss it was a gamble when you hid it with a bit of dunnage who would get a shower first.

The original from the mama san don aft was always so refresshing ,I mean the iced coffee.
Rgds Ian.