Ships stuck in the Baltic - Ships Nostalgia
21:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ships stuck in the Baltic

User Tag List

Old 2nd June 2013, 14:05

Ships stuck in the Baltic

In 1914 when WW1 started there were 92 British merchant ships trapped in the Baltic. Arthur Munro Sutherland, owner of B J Sutherland & co organised a syndicate with some of his Swedish friends to get the ships out. By 1917 77 British ships and 6 allied ships had escaped.
Does anyone know any details of this? I am researching it because it sounds like a great story.
Old 7th March 2016, 21:37

I hope your research is still active or that you might have published something? I am researching Shetland seamen who were trapped in the Baltic at ports such as Riga and Petersburg in August 1914. I know that a ship brought a number of seamen who escaped through Finland (I assume) and Sweden to Leith from Bergen in September 1914.