Liner North Atlantic - Ships Nostalgia
20:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Liner North Atlantic

User Tag List

Old 24th August 2013, 15:38

Liner North Atlantic

Hello everyone.

I'm new here and found the forums on my search for genealogical information. I'm wondering if anyone can help.

An ancestor of mine supposedly sailed from Liverpool in 1850 to the USA aboard the North Atlantic, he arrived there in November. His destination is St Louis but I don't know if that is his final destination or whether that is just the port he sailed to.

I've tried to find some information about the ship but cannot find any reference to it. Does anyone have any information, or less likely a photo? I'd be very grateful for anything you may have.

Many thanks.
Old 24th August 2013, 16:04

Hi, Sealdriver,

Have you tried Merseyside Maritime Museum?

You will find them in Google and they are very helpful.

Good luck!

BY
Old 25th August 2013, 10:47
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings sealdriver and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 26th August 2013, 10:35
Super Moderator

On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Sealdriver.

As far as I am aware, there has never been a trans-Atlantic vessel named North Atlantic, which could be why you can't find her. Vessels that crossed the Atlantic from the time you mention until the present day is often quoted as crossing the North Atlantic.

The only vessel I can find that left Liverpool in 1850 to cross the Atlantic was New World. Good luck with your search.
Old 26th August 2013, 10:52

Thanks all for the welcome and the information.
I got the name of the ship form the US immigration site castlegarden.org, maybe it uses North Atlantic as a generic term if the ship is not known, I'll continue looking with the info given here and see what I can turn up. Many thanks.
Old 26th August 2013, 12:13

With a little further research I've found the North Atlantic left Liverpool on 4 Sep 1850 and arrived New Orleans on 1 Nov 1850. I've seen online copies of part of the log and it was Captained by Cook, my ancestors are listed as passengers. As yet I do not know which line it belonged to.
Cheers
Old 26th August 2013, 12:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Find this link on Google.

" Steam Powered Ship List by The Novelty Iron Works | Machine ... " (There's a picture of her)

Or " SS North Atlantic 1850 "
Hope this helps
Old 31st August 2013, 12:48

No doubt name was "North Atlantic" but doesn't appear on Mercantile Navy List so presumably she wasn't a British Registered vessel. Most probably US registry. No indication either she was steam powered . Given 8 week passage time to New Orleans more likely a sailing packet or clipper.