MV Calchas Voyage 57 68/69 - Ships Nostalgia
23:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

MV Calchas Voyage 57 68/69

User Tag List

Old 8th November 2013, 19:06

MV Calchas Voyage 57 68/69

Does anybody remember any of these names from 1968/69?
My first trip. I wonder what became of them!

Master HK Timbrell
Mate. PS Carr
Snr 2nd Mate Nick Moon
Jnr 2nd Mate. Jim Morgan
3rd Mate. Kenny Vick
Snr Midshipman Oh Eng Hoe
Midshipman Bill Catterall
Midshipman Brian Dooley
Midshipman. Peter Martin
Old 8th November 2013, 20:49

Dennis K. Pollard

Hi Peter Martin,
Saw your post re- MV Calchas and could not resist responding although I have no recollection of any of the persons listed.
Calchas was my last assignment with the Blue Funnel Line before joining the Union Line - UnionSteamship Coy. of N.Z. Ltd in Aug. 1957
From my discharge book I signed articles in Birkenhead on 23 Nov. 1956 as 4th. Eng. on the Calchas and was discharged on 22 March 1957 at B'Head. The C/E was W.J.Edwards. I guess this just pre-dates your time with that vessel although the chief may well have still been in post during your time. As I recall the Calchas was getting near the end of its life - at least with B.F. For us engineers it was a bit of a 'workshop', meaning there was always something going amiss somewhere down below !. Nonetheless it was a 'happy' ship and I have fond memories of her.
Old 9th November 2013, 09:18

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Martin View Post
Does anybody remember any of these names from 1968/69?
My first trip. I wonder what became of them!

Master HK Timbrell
Mate. PS Carr
Snr 2nd Mate Nick Moon
Jnr 2nd Mate. Jim Morgan
3rd Mate. Kenny Vick
Snr Midshipman Oh Eng Hoe
Midshipman Bill Catterall
Midshipman Brian Dooley
Midshipman. Peter Martin

Hello Peter, and Denis.
Calchas is fondly remembered by many ex Blue Funnel middies because for many years she was the training ship and there is still a Calchas reunion each year in Liverpool. She sadly had a rather disastrous end.
After you sailed on her in 1957 Denis, she was transferred to Glen Line as Glenfinlas in Sept of 1957. She reverted to Calchas in 1962 and continued under that name until her demise in July 1973 when she suffered a serious fire. This happened in Port Klang [Swettenham] when a petrol fueled fork lift fell from the tweendeck in No 3 hatch, on to the dry cargo in the deep tank. The result was that she was completely gutted and was eventually towed to Singapore for demolition.
A sad end to a well loved and remembered ship.

Tom Inglis
Old 9th November 2013, 12:40

My location
I piloted the Calchas into Aden on the 2nd Aug.1956. Freddie Squires was the mate. We had just gone full astern and let go the starboard anchor to berth at No.8 head out. But instead of getting the full astern movement we got full ahead and Freddie disappeared in a cloud of rust dust as shackles of chain, which normally never left the chain locker, came flying over the windlass!!
Fortunately, we eventually got full astern and brought up just feet from the ship in the next berth!!! Freddie told me the same had happened in the Canal out-bound.
This reminds me of the "Wrong: Stop" which only Blue Funnel engine telegraphs had.

(I sailed a couple of voyages with Freddie in the s.s.Elpenor when he was 2nd mate: great ship-mate! You would never believe he had once been a choir boy.)
Old 11th November 2013, 15:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 1993

Hi Peter,

I signed on Calchas as first trip engineer cadet on 12/3/69 and paid off 15/7/69 which is probably the trip after you. I remember Phil Carr being the Chief Office and I believe the THird Mate was the same guy you mention. There was one Middy with us that trip whose name I don't remember other engineer cadet was John Barron.

Other names were

Chief Engineer Buffy
2nd Engineer Dave Potter
4th Engineer Des Brooks
Electrician Cyril Cund
Chief Steward Spud Murphy ( I still have the scars from a kaoline poultice he applied)

One Junior Engineer known as Taz from his homeland and another called Joe who was I believe a Thai.

Perhaps they were there when you were. I met Des later when he was Second on K boat and I have heard that Dave Potter passed away.
Old 12th November 2013, 19:38

Hi Benn! Spud & Cyril I now remember. It wasn't a particularly happy ship when I was on. Daily inspections were still the thing. I seem to have spent most of my life scrubbing out the halfdeck.
Still, never mind. Perhaps it was character-building?